ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Gelon

It sucks for him, but it was the right decision by Miller. He wasn't good enough to play at this level. He also had the opportunity to remain on scholarship, just not be on the team. Welcome to the real world.
totally....thanks crean

I feel sorry for young Mr. Gelon, however, it sounds like Indiana University kept its end of the bargain.
  • All indications are that Coach Miller was honest and direct with Grant about the situation and his opportunity to earn playing time.
  • All indications are that the university would honor his scholarship.
Life is full of these moments.

I have had several of them myself (both in my ill-advised attempt at a college athletic career and in my corporate life).

I hope Mr. Gelon, but more importantly his parents, find a better, more therapeutic and character-building way of dealing with disappointment.

It's tempting to trash an employer or boss on an exit interview. It's just not productive and reflects poorly on the individual and the Gelon's (his Mother at least) look a little foolish to this reader.

Every rational poster on this board knew that CtheC's offer and acceptance of GG was a huge mistake. Crean had never seen the kid play a high school game, and made GG IU's FIRST commit for the class of 2016. Crean's haphazard and hyperoffers in recruiting is yet another reason he is no longer IU's coach.

Look at how Archie is recruiting, 4 4stars, and all fill a specific need. Archie is building a solid foundation for the future of IU basketball with these four recruits.

If he was at a meeting where everyone was told "you're my guys" that was just plain wrong.
How many times should we read on this board that he was recruited specifically to be a 3-point shooter and not to play defense?
Perhaps Crean should apologize to him for recruiting him where he was way over his head just like his coach.

Reactions: T.M.P.
If he was at a meeting where everyone was told "you're my guys" that was just plain wrong.
How many times should we read on this board that he was recruited specifically to be a 3-point shooter and not to play defense?
Perhaps Crean should apologize to him for recruiting him where he was way over his head just like his coach.[/QUOTE

Don't wish to pick poop with the chickens...however, a team meeting where a leader makes forward looking statement regarding his/her team or staff is hardly a bankable promise (the commitment made by the previous program leadership, appears, by all accounts, to have been fully supported by IU and the athletic department insofar as his scholarship was intact).

So we'll have to agree to disagree that it was "just plain wrong."

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Just because he and his parents didn't like the result it doesn't mean he was treated unfairly. In fact, it looks like just the opposite. He was given an honest evaluation of his future on the team, granted a release when asked for, and could've had his school paid for even without playing if he stayed.

Blame TC and not AM. Tom created this mess. This was David Williams all over again and everyone but Crean knew it right from the get go. It's unfortunate for Grant that unlike Williams he was allowed to make it to campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
disgraceful behavior by Miller and IU.

sad how low the bar of acceptable behavior has become.

i realize other schools behave poorly as well, but that doesn't make it ok.

Care to elaborate of what exactly you think was disgraceful? Do to believe they should've kept him on the team as a charity case? His school would've been paid for regardless of whether or not he was on the team. And on the team or off of it, his playing time probably would've been about the same. So the honesty of CAM was disgraceful? Or was it giving him his requested release?

disgraceful behavior by Miller and IU.

sad how low the bar of acceptable behavior has become.

i realize other schools behave poorly as well, but that doesn't make it ok.

GTFOH

Crean NEVER should have offered the kid. Ever. Hell, he was the end of the bench at the Indiana All-Stars - where event organizers are looking to SHOWCASE players going to IU. That should have been the first red flag. Second flag is when he announced he was going to transfer - where were all the MAC-level schools waiting to scoop him up?

I don't blame Grant one bit. His parents? They're just defending their son. But Miller was being honest with the kid. Anyone who tries to spin this in a bad light is nothing more than a hater and a troll.

Archie did not recruit Gelon. A tough first job for an incoming coach is to evaluate how existing players will fit your style of play on your new team. He did not lose a scholarship so he was not wronged, he made the decision to transfer to get more playing time. Archie was honest, rather than making him practice for 3 years and then never play in a game. I think Archie was more than fair by being honest and upfront rather than lying to him, and falsely leading him along thinking someday he is going to get more playing time. Feelings, ego, and pride got hurt more than anything. Hopefully he moves on to the right situation that gives him the amount of playing time he desires that is a good fit for his game and talent level.

Care to elaborate of what exactly you think was disgraceful? Do to believe they should've kept him on the team as a charity case? His school would've been paid for regardless of whether or not he was on the team. And on the team or off of it, his playing time probably would've been about the same. So the honesty of CAM was disgraceful? Or was it giving him his requested release?
Spot on

GTFOH

Crean NEVER should have offered the kid. Ever. Hell, he was the end of the bench at the Indiana All-Stars - where event organizers are looking to SHOWCASE players going to IU. That should have been the first red flag. Second flag is when he announced he was going to transfer - where were all the MAC-level schools waiting to scoop him up?

I don't blame Grant one bit. His parents? They're just defending their son. But Miller was being honest with the kid. Anyone who tries to spin this in a bad light is nothing more than a hater and a troll.
RMK did this kind of thing all time by sitting down with the kid and letting him know he had no ftuure with the program.

Reactions: T.M.P.
This is pretty disappointing to me as well and quite surprising.
What is disappointing, Pater?

Also, remember, you're hearing one side of this. Archie hasn't commented (nor is he likely to).

I said from the beginning Gelon didn't belong in Bloomington. He had ONE outstanding skill. One. The rest of his game/body build was entry-level MAC at best.

Archie had to do the inevitable. No way Crean keeps Grant around the next 3 years.

“Character, how you treat people, especially the ones that can do nothing for you, that really is what it’s about."

Apparently, from the perspective of the Gelon family, Miller was honest with Grant about his future, but Grant informed him that he still wanted to stay... and then things got ugly.

I'm not a hater or a troll, but imo this reads a lot like something that I couldn't stand about Crean. Regardless, it's not worth over-analyzing. If Miller kept Grant on with the team, he would basically be starting the biggest job of his life down 1 scholarship. I just don't like the back channel stuff.

Reactions: Nesquik1
Just because he and his parents didn't like the result it doesn't mean he was treated unfairly. In fact, it looks like just the opposite. He was given an honest evaluation of his future on the team, granted a release when asked for, and could've had his school paid for even without playing if he stayed.

Second flag is when he announced he was going to transfer - where were all the MAC-level schools waiting to scoop him up?
State Fair Community College.

That tells you everything you need to know. Miller ripped the Band-Aid off, instead of having the kid wince and squeal and squirm while peeling it off over three years.

My opinion of Archie Miller just went completely down the tubes. What an idiot
apparently you don't understand how big time college basketball works. Digger and Knight did way worse. Archis was honest with the kid. He wasn't ever gonna see the floor. Sometimes life is tough

You're right but I feel bad for the kid because he won't get his degree from one of the best universities in the country . He's going to find out the hard way an education is with much more important than playing time at a JC

Am I seeing a double standard here???

Did Gelon just get CAMmed?
No, Arch did not over commit and then get rid of him. There's a huge difference between what Crean did constantly and what Arch just did. One is based on lying to players, the other is based on being honest and up front..

It's the same as having a mistress before getting divorced, and not. The only way anyone can equate the two is if they're looking for fault or just plain ignorance or both.

My opinion of Archie Miller just went completely down the tubes. What an idiot
Miller's mistake was in not telling him that he was no longer going to be a part of the team, even if he wanted to be. By not being fully honest, he left the door open enough that GG wanted to remain and believed he could. Up front and complete candor would've made this a non-issue. There is, of course, a reason why situations like this spin out of control, and it's directly a result of Glass's self serving Bill of Rights, which is mostly about public relations and much less about student athletes.

Last edited:
Who did Knight do this to? He even kept his kid in the team when he had no business playing D1 basketball.

A couple questions:

The link says Miller met with him May 3, the day before his last final. Anyone know any specific practical or rule-related reason why Miller couldn't wait until affer the last final to tell him this?
The link says Miller was hired March 27 and Gelon was told the bad news on May 3. Given the NCAA limitations on practices and workouts, roughly how many opportunities did Miller have between March 27 and May 3 to watch Gelon practice live and how many times to watch Gelon workout?

I know past practices were filmed but I'm more interested in the live practices and workouts after Miller was hired. TIA.

This is pretty disappointing to me as well and quite surprising.

This is what happens when you over sign. At some point the "it works itself out" stuff becomes having to tell a kid to gtfo.

It's hard hearing that you aren't good enough. I feel bad for the kid. He had no chance at success here but Tom brought him in anyway.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
This is what happens when you over sign. At some point the "it works itself out" stuff becomes having to tell a kid to gtfo.

It's hard hearing that you aren't good enough. I feel bad for the kid. He had no chance at success here but Tom brought him in anyway.

He's the kind of player Knight would have found a role for. Crean couldn't coach and we'll see how Arche does. Hope he doesn't do this again.

I have no problem with what Archie evidently did.
If Grant is not good enough to play for IU (and he obviously is not) he should be told it is in his best interest to move on.

I also had no problem when Crean did it.

Double standard, pure & simple.
Every time an IU player transferred under Crean, Crean was crucified. Many times without the details being known.

Again, I have no problem with Archie being honest with the kid. It was the right thing to do.
But it is a double standard & anyone who doesn't see it is ignorant & too biased to admit the truth about it.
That is the true mark of a "hater"

I have no problem with what Archie evidently did.
If Grant is not good enough to play for IU (and he obviously is not) he should be told it is in his best interest to move on.

I also had no problem when Crean did it.

Double standard, pure & simple.
Every time an IU player transferred under Crean, Crean was crucified. Many times without the details being known.

Again, I have no problem with Archie being honest with the kid. It was the right thing to do.
But it is a double standard & anyone who doesn't see it is ignorant & too biased to admit the truth about it.
That is the true mark of a "hater"
There is one key difference here though. Archie did not recruit Grant to play at IU.

Reactions: BannerYear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT