ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Gelon

You're right but I feel bad for the kid because he won't get his degree from one of the best universities in the country . He's going to find out the hard way an education is with much more important than playing time at a JC
I hear ya - I feel bad for Grant.

But put the blame squarely where it lies - on Crean. He created the mess Archie had to clean up.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I have no problem with what Archie evidently did.
If Grant is not good enough to play for IU (and he obviously is not) he should be told it is in his best interest to move on.

I also had no problem when Crean did it.

Double standard, pure & simple.
Every time an IU player transferred under Crean, Crean was crucified. Many times without the details being known.

Again, I have no problem with Archie being honest with the kid. It was the right thing to do.
But it is a double standard & anyone who doesn't see it is ignorant & too biased to admit the truth about it.
That is the true mark of a "hater"

Dumb

Every program creans now and then but crean creaned so much his name became the word for it.

That's what folks took issue with

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
what a pathetic bunch of responses. (with a few exceptions).

schollies aren't the property of coaches, and kids can't sign with any coach.

kids can only sign with a school, and only the school can grant a scholly.

ask any kid who wants to transfer, even with a great reason. (like maybe he'd like to play under a better coach, or go to a better school).

yes, this has happened before and will happen again, both at IU and elsewhere.

IU's, Glass's, and Crean's legacy, is that this sht now happens more often.

but let's not kid ourselves that every less talented kid is kicked off every team because said school decides they'd rather give the scholly to someone else.

coaches and schools keep less talented kids who mostly ride the bench for 4 yrs all the time, when the scholly could arguably go to a better player. (and for all his faults, RMK had many kids for 4 yrs when he could have taken it away, and given it to another kid with more talent).

just because someone or some institution sees something as possibly working in their own best self interests, doesn't in of itself make that otherwise slimy and disloyal action ok.

and if a school can cut a kid and turn around and give that scholly to another kid for immediate return, then kids should have the same ability to pursue upgrading their options as well, and transfer at will without having to sit out a full yr, anytime they see that as possibly being in their best self interests. (and every poster who backs IU's actions here would rain down a sht storm on the NCAA for allowing this, and on any kid as a disloyal traitor who took them up on it).

IU has enough black eyes at the moment, some deliberate, some from poor oversight, (of which the whole "Creaning" thing is certainly one that falls under "deliberate"), and doesn't need to deliberately add to the total.

under the "wanting to have your cake and eat it too" heading, imo Glass's decision to offer to fund a kid's IU education if said kid is "Creaned", while having some obvious merit, is also a backhanded way of enabling this bad behavior, and then trying to escape accountability for said actions by offering something to the dumped kid that costs Glass and the dept absolutely nothing, and for which they'll rarely have to ever make good on anyway in these "Creaning" cases.

on a final note, schools always will have kids that ride the bench most of their careers, and many still field great teams despite the fact that there are less talented players on the team.

many schools have even fielded excellent teams with less than 13 recruited players on scholly.

this is nothing more than further tarnishing IU's and Glass's word and reputation, because doing so "might", but certainly no guarantees, be perceived by the current administration as maybe in IU's short term best self interests.

unfortunate that standing by your word, loyalty, and doing the right thing, even though being in a high visibility leadership position at a major state educational institution, aren't seen by the current administration as possibly also being in it's best long term self interests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nesquik1
what a pathetic bunch of responses. (with a few exceptions).

schollies aren't the property of coaches, and kids can't sign with any coach.

kids can only sign with a school, and only the school can grant a scholly.

ask any kid who wants to transfer, even with a great reason. (like maybe he'd like to play under a better coach, or go to a better school).

yes, this has happened before and will happen again, both at IU and elsewhere.

IU's, Glass's, and Crean's legacy, is that this sht now happens more often.

but let's not kid ourselves that every less talented kid is kicked off every team because said school decides they'd rather give the scholly to someone else.

coaches and schools keep less talented kids who mostly ride the bench for 4 yrs all the time, when the scholly could arguably go to a better player. (and for all his faults, RMK had many kids for 4 yrs when he could have taken it away, and given it to another kid with more talent).

just because someone or some institution sees something as possibly working in their own best self interests, doesn't in of itself make that otherwise slimy and disloyal action ok.

and if a school can cut a kid and turn around and give that scholly to another kid for immediate return, then kids should have the same ability to pursue upgrading their options as well, and transfer at will without having to sit out a full yr, anytime they see that as possibly being in their best self interests.

IU has enough black eyes at the moment, some deliberate, some from poor oversight, (of which the whole "Creaning" thing is certainly one that falls under "deliberate"), and doesn't need to deliberately add to the total.

under the "wanting to have your cake and eat it too" heading, imo Glass's decision to offer to fund a kid's IU education if said kid is "Creaned", while having some obvious merit, is also a backhanded way of enabling this bad behavior, and then trying to escape accountability for said actions by offering something to the dumped kid that costs Glass and the dept absolutely nothing, and for which they'll rarely have to ever make good on anyway in these "Creaning" cases.

on a final note, schools always will have kids that ride the bench most of their careers, and many still field great teams despite the fact that there are less talented players on the team.

many schools have even fielded excellent teams with less than 13 recruited players on scholly.

this is nothing more than further tarnishing IU's and Glass's word and reputation, because doing so "might", but certainly no guarantees, be perceived by the current administration as maybe in IU's short term best self interests.

unfortunate that standing by your word, loyalty, and doing the right thing, even tough being in a high visibility leadership position at a major state educational institution, aren't seen by the current administration as possibly also being in it's best long term self interests.
I assume you were a RMK fan and probably did not have a problem when he ran off players and told them they should transfer. These players come to play for the coach and not the school and they pick the school because of who is coaching not academics.

Also coaches are the ones that offer the scholarship and does not have anything to do with the academic people. You actually think the coach has to get the OK who to offer a scholarship to. As long as they are qualified the academic people won't tell a coach who they can offer.

Last edited:
I assume you were a RMK fan and probably did not have a problem when he ran off players and told them they should transfer. These players come to play for the coach and not the school and they pick the school because of who is coaching not academics.

Also coaches are the ones that offer the scholarship and does not have anything to do with the academic people. You actually think the coach has to get the OK who to offer a scholarship to. As long as they are qualified the academic people won't tell a coach who they can offer.
You've been asked several times to name the players Knight ran off. Do you know actual names or are you speaking generically?

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Am I seeing a double standard here???

Did Gelon just get CAMmed?

Haha

Those who can't see the diff also won't see the diff in our SOS or defense.

Willfully ignorant is no way to go through life, bro! But keep toting crean's cross if it makes you feel righteous or whatever.

Reactions: BigMobe
So I suppose CAM should have lied to the kid and led him to believe that he had a chance to contribute? That would have been disgraceful. He was given a dose of reality, so he could move on. If he feels he was slighted, he should go forward with the proverbial "Chip on the Shoulder" as motivation to proved those who doubted him wrong.

A couple questions:

The link says Miller met with him May 3, the day before his last final. Anyone know any specific practical or rule-related reason why Miller couldn't wait until affer the last final to tell him this?
The link says Miller was hired March 27 and Gelon was told the bad news on May 3. Given the NCAA limitations on practices and workouts, roughly how many opportunities did Miller have between March 27 and May 3 to watch Gelon practice live and how many times to watch Gelon workout?

I know past practices were filmed but I'm more interested in the live practices and workouts after Miller was hired. TIA.
Good point, but CAM could have been aware of Gelon from watching Indiana Elite and surprised he was offered by IU. There is a player as good as Gelon on nearly every Indiana high school team.

Am I seeing a double standard here???

Did Gelon just get CAMmed?

Miller didn't recruit Gelon, and he was honest about GG's future with the program. Assuming GG wanted to see playing time at IU then Miller did him a huge service by letting him know that wasn't going to happen.

True. Most of knights recruits were top 50 players . none of the players Archie recruited would have been on Knights radar

He's the kind of player Knight would have found a role for. Crean couldn't coach and we'll see how Arche does. Hope he doesn't do this again.
Archie did not do anything but tell GG he would not play much, if at all. GG asked for the release. GG was NOT a D1 player. Knight would NOT have found a role for him. Knight would have done the same as Archie did..Crean is the knucklehead on this situation. State Fair Community College was his next best option, which says it all.

Dumb

Every program creans now and then but crean creaned so much his name became the word for it.

That's what folks took issue with

Just your perspective.

Your opinion means no more than mine.

Someone is dumb, but it's not me.

You've been asked several times to name the players Knight ran off. Do you know actual names or are you speaking generically?
It has been reported many times that RMK sat down at the end of each season to tell players where they stood in the program. I don't have any names but to think that every player who transferred under RMK did it just for lack of playing time is naïve. People ask you all the time to prove what you say but never do and now you are telling others to do what you can't do.

True. Most of knights recruits were top 50 players . none of the players Archie recruited would have been on Knights radar
How about players like Jeff Oliphant, Chuck Franz, Magnus Palokowski and I can come up with more players who were not highly rated who RMK brought in.

Just your perspective.

Your opinion means no more than mine.

Someone is dumb, but it's not me.

okay, little sparrow, keep believing that Crean's insane player turnover is the same as MIller telling an NAIA-level kid that we don't have a place on the court for him at IU.

Reactions: raw21960
okay, little sparrow, keep believing that Crean's insane player turnover is the same as MIller telling an NAIA-level kid that we don't have a place on the court for him at IU.

I'll believe what I believe, little pigeon, & you can continue to believe what you believe.
You are the one that looks stupid.

It has been reported many times that RMK sat down at the end of each season to tell players where they stood in the program. I don't have any names but to think that every player who transferred under RMK did it just for lack of playing time is naïve. People ask you all the time to prove what you say but never do and now you are telling others to do what you can't do.
I've always supported what I've said. Just wanted to see if you had specifics or if you were just being generic.

Who did Knight do this to? He even kept his kid in the team when he had no business playing D1 basketball.
First of all, nepotism is not a valuable quality. Second, he did this all the time. Coaches have meetings one on one with players at the end of the year to tell them where they stand and what the future holds. You don't remember all the transfers we had?

Reactions: IU Hardcore
You're right but I feel bad for the kid because he won't get his degree from one of the best universities in the country . He's going to find out the hard way an education is with much more important than playing time at a JC
He had the opportunity to stay on scholarship for the next three years, and he chose to leave. Don't get all over Archie Miller for GG giving up a scholarship.

I'll believe what I believe, little pigeon, & you can continue to believe what you believe.
You are the one that looks stupid.
I don't know why we are even talking about this so much. GG could've stayed here and had a full ride for the next three years, and he chose to leave to go play basketball at State Fair community college. They were upfront with him about his future on the basketball team, and he could've stayed here on a full scholarship. He did not.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Greg Graham, Pat Graham, Calbert Cheney, Steve Eyl, Lawrence Funderburke all in one class and all in top 40. He rarely recruited kids out of the top 100. No, I'm not pulling it out of my butt
Yes, you are.

"From 1983-2000, only 26 of Knight's 63 recruits were ranked in the Top 75 (according to Hoop Scoop). 16 of the 26 were McD AA's" - this very thread

Reactions: Fus
disgraceful behavior by Miller and IU.

sad how low the bar of acceptable behavior has become.

i realize other schools behave poorly as well, but that doesn't make it ok.

Disgraceful? They told him what his role would be on the team, which is completely accurate, and he could've stayed at IU on a full ride for the next three years. He turned that down to go to State Fair CC.

The kid chose to give up a full scholarship because he wanted to go play basketball at State Fair community college. They were not yanking his scholarship. Good gracious, people.
Could he have stayed on the team, as was his desire to do?

Greg Graham, Pat Graham, Calbert Cheney, Steve Eyl, Lawrence Funderburke all in one class and all in top 40. He rarely recruited kids out of the top 100. No, I'm not pulling it out of my butt
Your first mistake is trying to act like you know what you are talking about. Steve Eyl was not in the class with those other players and graduated in 88. A real Iu fan would remember Eyl helping beat UNLV with a late steal and dunk to preserve the win in the final 4 in 1987. Also Eyl was never a top 40 recruit and was probably a 3 star recruit.

He's the kind of player Knight would have found a role for. Crean couldn't coach and we'll see how Arche does. Hope he doesn't do this again.

Yep, just like the roles he found for Delray Brooks, Tom Coverdale and I'm sure a few others I can't remember.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Archie did not do anything but tell GG he would not play much, if at all. GG asked for the release. GG was NOT a D1 player. Knight would NOT have found a role for him. Knight would have done the same as Archie did..Crean is the knucklehead on this situation. State Fair Community College was his next best option, which says it all.
I saw GG play his senior year and he wasn't even the best player on his HS team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT