ADVERTISEMENT

More mumbo jumbo from CTC

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
“This door opened, and it opened at a time when there were other doors," he said. "But this door was in a class by itself because of what can be done here. You start thinking about the passion and energy and how people think about a program like this, I cannot wait to join that.”

Of course this is CTC at his opening press conference. Lets see where they are in the middle of next season with knee injuries and no defense.

Wasn't sure if that was a press conference, a late night paid advertisement for Crean in general or a really bad motivational speaker.

What was up with the yelling in the middle?

He's an insecure bag of air.

I love how he in this example brings up all the supposed other doors.

Nice, humble guy right?

"You start thinking about the passion and energy and how people think about a program like this, I cannot wait to join that.”
?They have won 7 tournament games in their history. The football program is the only program people think about when they think of Georgia. Sometimes I think Crean just makes sh*t up.

Reactions: IUgradman
?They have won 7 tournament games in their history. The football program is the only program people think about when they think of Georgia. Sometimes I think Crean just makes sh*t up.
sometimes???? ha! he is an average motivational speaker

Last edited:
“This door opened, and it opened at a time when there were other doors," he said. "But this door was in a class by itself because of what can be done here. You start thinking about the passion and energy and how people think about a program like this, I cannot wait to join that.”

Of course this is CTC at his opening press conference. Lets see where they are in the middle of next season with knee injuries and no defense.

It’s Georgia!

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I noted it in another thread a couple days ago, but when TC tries to sell himself, the team/program you start hearing him say, "Absolutely, No question about it, Without a doubt" over and over again. Ritalin was made for people like TC.

I noted it in another thread a couple days ago, but when TC tries to sell himself, the team/program you start hearing him say, "Absolutely, No question about it, Without a doubt" over and over again. Ritalin was made for people like TC.
yup, tired cliche after another, etc....even his fake grin he has half the time. if he fails here, he will turn to the g o d and become a preacher. he has all the tools

He cant coach. 4 tournaments in 9 years at Indiana is pitiful. Maybe we arent a blue blood anymore but Indiana should be a NCAA Tournament participant every season.

He's a strange dude.

His primary strength is his apparently unwavering belief in himself as a coach and his ability to express that belief, even when it flies in the face of the available evidence. The question I have is whether in his heart he knows he sucks as a coach. If he does and still says what he says, he's a hell of a con. If he doesn't, he's pathological. Either way, he's made off with a bundle of loot in the process.

He's a strange dude.

His primary strength is his apparently unwavering belief in himself as a coach and his ability to express that belief, even when it flies in the face of the available evidence. The question I have is whether in his heart he knows he sucks as a coach. If he does and still says what he says, he's a hell of a con. If he doesn't, he's pathological. Either way, he's made off with a bundle of loot in the process.

Damn, what a hell of a post.

It takes me five paragraphs to try to convey what you just did.

Absolutely nailed it.

So glad he's GONE from IU! No defense, no in-game adjustments and couldn't recruit the best Indiana kids after Blackmon. Welcome to mediocrity, UG!

Just let the guy move on. He’ll probably have UGA in the tourney most seasons, however, because the SEC is terrible as a basketball conference.

We’ve got lots of problems of our own as a program. We lost to Rutgers in the Big Ten tourney. Most seasons than not, just a bunch of also-rans. Archie better have us in the post season next year or it’s going to get as ugly as it was during the Crean years.

We’ve been pretty run of the mill for a long, long time. Amazing the support the program does have from the fan base but plenty of empty seats this year.

Reactions: justjames
Just let the guy move on. He’ll probably have UGA in the tourney most seasons, however, because the SEC is terrible as a basketball conference.

We’ve got lots of problems of our own as a program. We lost to Rutgers in the Big Ten tourney. Most seasons than not, just a bunch of also-rans. Archie better have us in the post season next year or it’s going to get as ugly as it was during the Crean years.

We’ve been pretty run of the mill for a long, long time. Amazing the support the program does have from the fan base but plenty of empty seats this year.
C'mon guys. He had several open doors offered to him. IU telling him to close it behind him was one of them. He probably has Pet Smart commercial offers and Depends commercials . Lots of choices. Georgia is football first. No pressure there.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I'm usually not one to pile on CTC. He's gone, I'm glad he's gone, I wish he'd have been gone sooner, I don't wish him any ill will.

But I'd love to know exactly what job offers he'd gotten and taken a pass on -- so as to make it sound that only a program like Georgia was great enough to pique his interest.

There was some buzz about him going to tOSU. Well, the online Buckeye communities were a sight to behold when that name was mentioned. Let's just say it wouldn't have gone over well. They ended up with a much better hire in Holtmann.

So....who else? What doors were opened to him, that he spurned, holding out for only the right opportunity......like Georgia?

I'm usually not one to pile on CTC. He's gone, I'm glad he's gone, I wish he'd have been gone sooner, I don't wish him any ill will.

But I'd love to know exactly what job offers he'd gotten and taken a pass on -- so as to make it sound that only a program like Georgia was great enough to pique his interest.

There was some buzz about him going to tOSU. Well, the online Buckeye communities were a sight to behold when that name was mentioned. Let's just say it wouldn't have gone over well. They ended up with a much better hire in Holtmann.

So....who else? What doors were opened to him, that he spurned, holding out for only the right opportunity......like Georgia?
I doubt he had any other Power 5 offers. This was as good as it was going to get for him.

The SEC was far better than the Big Ten this year. Too early to tell if that’s the new norm or an anomaly. Imo they’ve done really well as a conference upgrading coaches in the last 5 or so years.

Reactions: mobilehoosier

27 minute opening statement rambling along about his life and his kids accomplishments..the guy is somewhat mental.

I’m impressed with their hunger. Very attentive,” Crean said. “They’ve got energy, they’re excited. I told them it’s going to be hard. But the hard will always be better, never be easier, when you know you’re going through it together. That’s what they got to learn. I can’t assume I know how close they are. You just got to build that. I’m going to really try to stay with that for a long time. Let’s see what it is day by day. But the eye test is good.”

C'mon guys. He had several open doors offered to him. IU telling him to close it behind him was one of them. He probably has Pet Smart commercial offers and Depends commercials . Lots of choices. Georgia is football first. No pressure there.
I would think CTC would do Diet Coke commercials. He'd be a natural because it seemed like every game he was drinking one.

Dakich gushed all over him yesterday curiously forgetting that he had not so long ago questioned multiple times why there were boosters that hugged Crean 's players after games.

Smh

Reactions: pumpfake
Georgia has only been to the 2nd round four times in their history and two of those have been vacated. CTC bringing them to mediocrity would be heaven sent.

Reactions: kmathum
Wasn't sure if that was a press conference, a late night paid advertisement for Crean in general or a really bad motivational speaker.

What was up with the yelling in the middle?

He's an insecure bag of air.

I love how he in this example brings up all the supposed other doors.

Nice, humble guy right?
I've done a good job of avoiding any games he worked this year on TV and I certainly would not have cared to hear his "It's Georgia" speech. He is in a perfect spot. He can have a 10 year run if he can make an NCAA tournament every few years and not suck between. I expect he will have an even weaker schedule than he had at IU to pad his win totals.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I've done a good job of avoiding any games he worked this year on TV and I certainly would not have cared to hear his "It's Georgia" speech. He is in a perfect spot. He can have a 10 year run if he can make an NCAA tournament every few years and not suck between. I expect he will have an even weaker schedule than he had at IU to pad his win totals.
Folks I live in Atlanta..have for 25 years. Am a 78 IU grad and always an IU fan. But I must tell you... I have become a UGA football fan over the years. The point I'm making simply is this. IU is to basketball what Georgia is to football. I dare say that IU fans would be incredibly excited if former UGA football coach, Mark Richt, were to come coach at IU. So, the folks down here are excited about Crean. And, they probably have every right to be.

Richt may have gotten stale with Georgia fans but he is a very good football coach who got hired at another high profile football program. I don't think many here consider Crean a good coach. This might be like comparing Oranges to rotten oranges.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Richt may have gotten stale with Georgia fans but he is a very good football coach who got hired at another high profile football program. I don't think many here consider Crean a good coach. This might be like comparing Oranges to rotten oranges.
Well having lived here and followed UGA football I disagree

Folks I live in Atlanta..have for 25 years. Am a 78 IU grad and always an IU fan. But I must tell you... I have become a UGA football fan over the years. The point I'm making simply is this. IU is to basketball what Georgia is to football. I dare say that IU fans would be incredibly excited if former UGA football coach, Mark Richt, were to come coach at IU. So, the folks down here are excited about Crean. And, they probably have every right to be.
Richt is a genuine, decent, nice guy, and a very good coach. Crean is none of those things.

Reactions: Rakkasan29

Mark Richt has coached 17 years. He's finished 1st or 2nd in his division 13 of those 17 years. The other 4 he finished 3rd.

Tom Crean has finished in the top 3 5 times in his career.

An idiot savant, with the emphasis on idiot.

Mark Richt has coached 17 years. He's finished 1st or 2nd in his division 13 of those 17 years. The other 4 he finished 3rd.

Tom Crean has finished in the top 3 5 times in his career.
Look at Georgia's record in basketball. It is putrid. Please don't misunderstand my point. I am incredibly happy that we have CAM to replace Crean at IU. It's about expectations.

Look at Georgia's record in basketball. It is putrid. Please don't misunderstand my point. I am incredibly happy that we have CAM to replace Crean at IU. It's about expectations.
If your expectations are to gain media attention while doing long term damage to in state recruiting relationships and burn bridges with the administration then Crean is a perfect fit.

Well having lived here and followed UGA football I disagree
You prove my point that he got stale with UGA fans if your saying he wasn't a good football coach. He may not be Nick Saban but he is still solid. He may win a title at miami before UGA gets one. a better comparison would have been the LSU guy (Dinardo)who came to IU some years back.

You prove my point that he got stale with UGA fans if your saying he wasn't a good football coach. He may not be Nick Saban but he is still solid. He may win a title at miami before UGA gets one. a better comparison would have been the LSU guy (Dinardo)who came to IU some years back.
I'm not going to judge how good a coach richt was. Clearly his record was good. But, in Georgia, like Indiana for basketball, expectations r different. 2 sec championships w no nattys or playoff appearances wasn't good enough for ga fans. Crean won 2 outright B10 titles. Not too bad... but no trips deep into the NCAA tournament.

I'm just trying to offer perspective. I grew up in Indiana. Played high school basketball and d2 in college. The level of understanding of the game is not the same in ga as Indiana. AND, the same issue exists in football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT