ADVERTISEMENT

More mumbo jumbo from CTC

I'm glad IU has archie now instead of Crean, but I supported Crean when he was here.
He is not nearly as bad as most of the people on this board make him out to be.
If you go to other boards you will find that you will get a better feel for what most IU fans think of him.
The posters on this forum have a true hatred for the man.

I'm glad IU has archie now instead of Crean, but I supported Crean when he was here.
He is not nearly as bad as most of the people on this board make him out to be.
If you go to other boards you will find that you will get a better feel for what most IU fans think of him.
The posters on this forum have a true hatred for the man.

no, it's the same wherever you go. we're just more eloquent.

You obviously know more about Crean than the IU fans that had to suffer through 9 years of him. Good luck with that, and thanks for helping IU get the buyout money back.
Never said I knew more, but he's clearly a decent offensive coach.. Numbers don't lie. We've lacked for offense in the past and that hasn't allowed us to win very much.

Only difference is the basketball talent in our state dwarfs the football talent in Indiana. The basketball talent in Atlanta alone is greater than the state of Indiana.

yup, and all those kids will be knocking each other over to be at UGA under Tom Crean.

does your schtick expire soon? created an account to convince us that your new sucky coach will be better than your last sucky coach? cool

Never said I knew more, but he's clearly a decent offensive coach.. Numbers don't lie. We've lacked for offense in the past and that hasn't allowed us to win very much.

no, they really do lie. he trades D for O. all day, every day. lots of coaches could put up those numbers if they did the same.

but troll away if that's your thing...

Reactions: IUgradman
Only difference is the basketball talent in our state dwarfs the football talent in Indiana. The basketball talent in Atlanta alone is greater than the state of Indiana.

You're not very bright are you.

30+ players from Indiana in the NBA.

How many from Atlanta?

lmao ..

yup, and all those kids will be knocking each other over to be at UGA under Tom Crean.

does your schtick expire soon? created an account to convince us that your new sucky coach will be better than your last sucky coach? cool
He's completely FOS ...

Basketball isn’t like football. Crean isn’t coming in as an offensive coordinator to fix that side of the ball. You have to live with all the downsides too. The turnovers will make you stop enjoying the game altogether.

Reactions: IUgradman and ulrey

Have had this account since 2001. Didn’t have to create one to come on here. It’s pretty obvious IU fans are jaded and are unable to objectively look at a situation. Crean clearly sucks and we made a terrible hire. I get it.

Reactions: eddy4iu
Have had this account since 2001. Didn’t have to create one to come on here. It’s pretty obvious IU fans are jaded and are unable to objectively look at a situation. Crean clearly sucks and we made a terrible hire. I get it.

You came here seeking validation for Crean's coaching. As you notice, you will find none because it doesn't exist and certainly isn't deserved. He's more of con artist than a coach.

We've been through this, all of it, including having Marquette fans warn us of the same things we're warning you about, but that's not what you want to hear.

You want to hear he's a good coach.Go read an ESPN article, they'll blow sunshine up your a** but, if you want to know what you're truly getting, honestly, more than one person has told you, he sucks.

Accept it now and avoid the false hope. You guys hired an incompetent orange con artist whose only claim to fame is luckily getting Dwayne Wade.

Last edited:
You came here seeking validation for Crean's coaching. As you notice, you will find none because it doesn't exist and certainly isn't deserved. He's more of con artist than a coach.

We've been through this, all of it, including having Marquette fans warn us of the same things we're warning you about, but that's not what you want to hear.

You want to hear he's a good coach.Go read an ESPN article, they'll blow sunshine up your a** but, if you want to know what you're truly getting, honestly, more than one person has told you, he sucks.

Accept it now and avoid the false hope. You guys hired an incompetent orange con artist whose only claim to fame is luckily getting Dwayne Wade.
That's fine. I appreciate your input. I didn't intent to come here to troll or anything like that. Thanks for your time.

Reactions: ulrey and T.M.P.
I don't think the name on the jersey is going to mean as much as some of you might think. It's all about coaching and Crean is a good offensive coach.
Just an FYI, Mark Fox won at a .741 clip at Nevada. That's a remarkable winning percentage. He was a great coach there. But he only won at a .551 clip at Georgia. So the name on the jersey must mean a hell of a lot.

Also, the basketball talent in Atlanta is nowhere close to the state of Indiana, especially in quantity. And even if it were, it wouldn't matter. Just like they did in Indiana, Atlanta high school and AAU coaches will send their players elsewhere once they've spent a few years around Crean.

As I've posted in another thread, I will agree with one thing you've said: Crean is a decent offensive coach. While I wish you the best, I don't think that alone is going to get your program to any higher level than it was under Fox.

I'm not going to judge how good a coach richt was. Clearly his record was good. But, in Georgia, like Indiana for basketball, expectations r different. 2 sec championships w no nattys or playoff appearances wasn't good enough for ga fans. Crean won 2 outright B10 titles. Not too bad... but no trips deep into the NCAA tournament.

I'm just trying to offer perspective. I grew up in Indiana. Played high school basketball and d2 in college. The level of understanding of the game is not the same in ga as Indiana. AND, the same issue exists in football.

But I’ve always thought UGA fans had an overinflated sense of where they are in the football powerhouse hierarchy. With the exception of last year where have they finished in the top 20. I’d say over the past 25 years I kind of place them about 6th overall in the SEC in terms of my(unresearched) perspective on where I think of them - behind Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Tennessee.

Just an FYI, Mark Fox won at a .741 clip at Nevada. That's a remarkable winning percentage. He was a great coach there. But he only won at a .551 clip at Georgia. So the name on the jersey must mean a hell of a lot.

Also, the basketball talent in Atlanta is nowhere close to the state of Indiana, especially in quantity. And even if it were, it wouldn't matter. Just like they did in Indiana, Atlanta high school and AAU coaches will send their players elsewhere once they've spent a few years around Crean.

As I've posted in another thread, I will agree with one thing you've said: Crean is a decent offensive coach. While I wish you the best, I don't think that alone is going to get your program to any higher level than it was under Fox.
You realize that Fox won with Trent Johnson's talent at first, right? If you look at the progression of his career at Nevada, it was a continual decline to the point where we hired him coming off of two straight CIT appearances. Fox was never the right man for our job. You may not want to admit this, but Crean has shown the propensity to be a fairly proficient program BUILDER.

Reactions: subpay
But I’ve always thought UGA fans had an overinflated sense of where they are in the football powerhouse hierarchy. With the exception of last year where have they finished in the top 20. I’d say over the past 25 years I kind of place them about 6th overall in the SEC in terms of my(unresearched) perspective on where I think of them - behind Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida and Tennessee.
Tennessee hasn't been relevant in 20 years. I'll agree with you on Bama, Florida and LSU over that timespan. I do think Kirby is the right guy for us though.

Reactions: ulrey
Sounds very much like IU basketball in the Big Ten. Wisconsin, UM, MSU, OSU, Purdue, even Maryland.

You realize that Fox won with Trent Johnson's talent at first, right? If you look at the progression of his career at Nevada, it was a continual decline to the point where we hired him coming off of two straight CIT appearances. Fox was never the right man for our job. You may not want to admit this, but Crean has shown the propensity to be a fairly proficient program BUILDER.

Reactions: cshartle123
Georgia is going to be the new Alabama in football. Their recruiting is unbelievable.

I've never said he couldn't BUILD. He can't SUSTAIN. You hired a guy that, after NINE years here, had five of the country's top 30 high school players right here in Indiana, two hours or less from campus, and he got exactly none of them. In time, you're going to find out why that happened. Again, I wish you the best, and I hope he's learned from whatever caused that. But the fact remains, that's who you just hired. And think about it, coming here telling us Crean is good makes as little sense as me telling you Fox is good. That might be why I did it.

OK... here's a guy that kind of agrees with you. As far as UGA's expectations go, I think Crean will do OK there. Aside from players like Yogi and Cody, I don't think Crean recruited many because "it's Indiana." His recruiting pitch at UGA will be similar to what it was at IU - based on coaching players like Wade, Yogi, Cody, Oladipo, OG... He's got his guys that are in the NBA and many recruits will like that. He whiffed at some very good IN HS kids, but found a few diamonds in the rough like OG and Victor. If he can get a few like that at UGA, he'll have the talent to make the tourney a few times and MAYBE get them to the S16 at some point. While that was nowhere near enough for IU, for UGA... that would make him very popular.

Reactions: GermantownDawg
OK... here's a guy that kind of agrees with you. As far as UGA's expectations go, I think Crean will do OK there. Aside from players like Yogi and Cody, I don't think Crean recruited many because "it's Indiana." His recruiting pitch at UGA will be similar to what it was at IU - based on coaching players like Wade, Yogi, Cody, Oladipo, OG... He's got his guys that are in the NBA and many recruits will like that. He whiffed at some very good IN HS kids, but found a few diamonds in the rough like OG and Victor. If he can get a few like that at UGA, he'll have the talent to make the tourney a few times and MAYBE get them to the S16 at some point. While that was nowhere near enough for IU, for UGA... that would make him very popular.
He won’t have the luxury of mixing in Yogi and Zeller in with his project players. You forget how many guys did not turn out to be diamonds.

He won’t have the luxury of mixing in Yogi and Zeller in with his project players. You forget how many guys did not turn out to be diamonds.

You are correct. And I DO remember the complete duds. But again... get a few players like Victor and OG, and that would likely be enough to keep UGA happy.

But not a ROSTER builder. He only recruited one point guard the whole time he was here, played people out of position continually, overstocked wings.

Reactions: hondo314 and ulrey
First post on their premie board. "Tom Crean on the road again..."

Get ready for overcommitments and 2 transfers a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulrey
Sounds very much like IU basketball in the Big Ten. Wisconsin, UM, MSU, OSU, Purdue, even Maryland.

I wasn't making any comparison though I can't agree with you on Purdue (in the past 25 years) or Maryland since they've only been in the Big 10 for a couple years. But IU was a national runner up and Purdue in zero Final Fours in the last 25 years.

In the past 25 years which is all I was talking about Florida and Auburn have had significantly better overall records than UGA in football. Of course, UF has 3 national championships and a runner up, Auburn one legit NC and two years where I think they finished #1 but may have been ineligible in at least one of those years and UGA zero national championships and a runner-up. By the way, UT and UGA's records over the past 25 years aren't significantly different (UGA was slightly better) but Tennessee has a national championship in the last 25 years. All I was saying is that as someone who doesn't follow the SEC on a week in week out basis my PERCEPTION is that those other programs were overall a little higher up in the SEC pecking order.

No need to get your panties in a bunch - just an observation. I agree that Kirby Smart is the man. Who wouldn't want to have him as their head coach? He'll definitely raise the profile of UGA football in the eyes of a guy like me whose perceptions as an outsider are as I've stated.

Dwyane*

Reactions: T.M.P.
no, they really do lie. he trades D for O. all day, every day. lots of coaches could put up those numbers if they did the same.

I have to agree here. What matters is winning when it counts. Putting up huge offense then getting pancaked against really good defensive teams is no way to generate championships.

I watched Kentucky's freshman launch an ill-advised 3 at the end of their final tourney game this year and I thought, "that is a freshman being a freshman". Sometimes subtle, but when it counts most, a coach's flaws come out. Crean had plenty. Kentucky's freshman-phenom approach is another.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT