ADVERTISEMENT

More mumbo jumbo from CTC

Folks I live in Atlanta..have for 25 years. Am a 78 IU grad and always an IU fan. But I must tell you... I have become a UGA football fan over the years. The point I'm making simply is this. IU is to basketball what Georgia is to football. I dare say that IU fans would be incredibly excited if former UGA football coach, Mark Richt, were to come coach at IU. So, the folks down here are excited about Crean. And, they probably have every right to be.
lol ...

He sucks .. and they'll hate him as much as we do eventually.

Folks I live in Atlanta..have for 25 years. Am a 78 IU grad and always an IU fan. But I must tell you... I have become a UGA football fan over the years. The point I'm making simply is this. IU is to basketball what Georgia is to football. I dare say that IU fans would be incredibly excited if former UGA football coach, Mark Richt, were to come coach at IU. So, the folks down here are excited about Crean. And, they probably have every right to be.
yes sir, i lived in georgia in the 80's. i know exactly what your talking about. i think richt is a solid coach, but as a longtime fan of iubb and fb, i would never hire a coach who had just been fired by someone else. i'd rather take a chance on an up and comer.

Reactions: IUgradman
I'm not going to judge how good a coach richt was. Clearly his record was good. But, in Georgia, like Indiana for basketball, expectations r different. 2 sec championships w no nattys or playoff appearances wasn't good enough for ga fans. Crean won 2 outright B10 titles. Not too bad... but no trips deep into the NCAA tournament.

I'm just trying to offer perspective. I grew up in Indiana. Played high school basketball and d2 in college. The level of understanding of the game is not the same in ga as Indiana. AND, the same issue exists in football.

I get the perspective thing. I'm pretty much in the same boat in Austin and been in Texas since the early 80s. HS football is amazing here.

I think your comments are spot on. I'm glad Tom is no longer in B-town but I think he is a perfect fit at UGA. I'm an IU alum (84) living in Alabama. Football rules and most don't follow hoops but they do follow their schools and will appreciate a tournament appearance, which they will get with Crean. He will recruit Atlanta well and he'll get some national kids. Not a great X's and O's coach but he can develop skills and that works for many kids. I too think he gets about a 10 year run unless he gets in trouble. Nice Post!

Why would Crean suddenly connect with good Atlanta recruits when he pissed off nearly everyone in the state of Indiana? Maybe he will have some early success until the word gets out down there about his coaching ability and personality.

I think your comments are spot on. I'm glad Tom is no longer in B-town but I think he is a perfect fit at UGA. I'm an IU alum (84) living in Alabama. Football rules and most don't follow hoops but they do follow their schools and will appreciate a tournament appearance, which they will get with Crean. He will recruit Atlanta well and he'll get some national kids. Not a great X's and O's coach but he can develop skills and that works for many kids. I too think he gets about a 10 year run unless he gets in trouble. Nice Post!
he can't develop anything, and he won't get 10 years. even at a football school.

I'm not going to judge how good a coach richt was. Clearly his record was good. But, in Georgia, like Indiana for basketball, expectations r different. 2 sec championships w no nattys or playoff appearances wasn't good enough for ga fans. Crean won 2 outright B10 titles. Not too bad... but no trips deep into the NCAA tournament.

I'm just trying to offer perspective. I grew up in Indiana. Played high school basketball and d2 in college. The level of understanding of the game is not the same in ga as Indiana. AND, the same issue exists in football.
He also missed the tournament five of the nine years he was at IU. I wonder if even Georgia would be ok with that.

Tom will recruit Atlanta well because UGA is a killer school and kids from Georgia want to go. His only challenge will be not pissing off HS coaches with his BS, which could happen. Humble he is not.
Go Hoosiers!
Enough BS about Crean.

No.

Crean will never get Georgia to the tournament. 4 years then fired. He can't recruit, can't assemble a roster and can't coach. LOL @ all the people that think he will get UG fans a tourney appearance every few years. He could barely do that at IU!

Reactions: T.M.P.
He cant coach. 4 tournaments in 9 years at Indiana is pitiful. Maybe we arent a blue blood anymore but Indiana should be a NCAA Tournament participant every season.
Look, I know you guys don't like the guy, but I think including his first three years at IU is a little unfair. It was a complete rebuild and you know it. Really, you should only be judging him on his last six years when he had nearly a full roster. He made four and very easily could have made 5 of 6 tourneys had injuries not plagued your last team. Hell, you had beaten KU and UNC who were both one seeds in his last year before most of those injuries happened. He may not be elite, but he helped resurrect an essentially dead program and win two Big 10 titles in a span of four years in a traditionally very good basketball conference.

Last edited:
You can excuse the first couple of years but that is it. There was no justification for getting hammered by Syracuse in the Sweet Sixteen and then missing the postseason entirely the following season. In 2015 we sneaked in the NCAA tournament, got bounced in the first round, and finished with 14 losses.

Crean’s recruiting went into a tailspin down the stretch, and the roster he left Archie was the worst since 2011. His teams had no fundamentals and were awful on defense.

Reactions: ulrey
Look, I know you guys don't like the guy, but I think including his first three years at IU is a little unfair. It was a complete rebuild and you know it. Really, you should only be judging him on his last six years when he had nearly a full roster. He made four and very easily could have made 5 of 6 tourneys had injuries not plagues your last team. Hell, you had beaten KU and UNC who were both one seeds in his last year before most of those injuries happened. He may not be elite, but he helped resurrect an essentially dead program and win two Big 10 titles in a span of four years in a traditionally very good basketball conference.

Come back in 2 or 3 years and let us know how you feel about him. Good luck.

Look, I know you guys don't like the guy, but I think including his first three years at IU is a little unfair. It was a complete rebuild and you know it. Really, you should only be judging him on his last six years when he had nearly a full roster. He made four and very easily could have made 5 of 6 tourneys had injuries not plagues your last team. Hell, you had beaten KU and UNC who were both one seeds in his last year before most of those injuries happened. He may not be elite, but he helped resurrect an essentially dead program and win two Big 10 titles in a span of four years in a traditionally very good basketball conference.

You sound like the perfect Crean fan. You are gonna love the guy. I hope it works out for you.

There is a difference between a program being dead and lacking the right fit in leadership. The REASON Crean failed is because he was focused on creating the rhetoric that it needed to be resurrected. Indiana high school basketball hasn’t wavered since Bob Knight left. Crean got a few guys, but ultimately failed because he was unable to gain the trust of coaches and parents in the area. He knew he could use the “rebuild” storyline to convince some other ignorant administrators to get another job down the road. Everyone here knows what really happened.

Reactions: ulrey and IUgradman

no, we can judge him on all of it. lol. we watched it from the front row. it was maddening.

dude has spent 18 years at two basketball schools and has made the NCAAs three times in a row just once and two times in a row just three times. he's racked up 11 tourney wins in 9 appearances with Dwayne Wade's team accounting for more than a third of those.

for the record, he tried to get some of Kelvin Sampson's kids to stay but apparently just wasn't likable enough. kids from that team preferred to play at schools like Ohio University and such. despite this, IU was on track to be competitive by his 3rd year but, alas, his high-player turnover took root in that first year. get ready for this aspect of his program building. he'll get some good players at Georgia but most won't be around long enough to create a winning culture.

and then there's this:

Last edited:
And I hope it works out for you guys and Archie. Two different programs with two different sets of aspirations. He's better than what we had by a decent margin.

No, he is not better by a decent margin than your previous coach (that's the point everyone is trying to make). Give it 4 or 5 years and you will understand the disdain IU fans have for him.

No, he is not better by a decent margin than your previous coach (that's the point everyone is trying to make). Give it 4 or 5 years and you will understand the disdain IU fans have for him.
You didn't have to live through the ineptitude of Mark Fox. If you think you had it bad under Crean, you would have literally offed yourself under Mark Fox's regime.

He also missed the tournament five of the nine years he was at IU. I wonder if even Georgia would be ok with that.
What is so hard to uderstand that if he produces what he did at IU at UGA they will be content with that. The expectations for UGA basketball is not what it is here. Fox got 9 years at UGA and only made the tournament 2 times so if Crean can win a couple of conference championships and go to 3 sweet 16's they will be happy.

you are probably right. but we'll see if Georgia didn't just trade a toyota celica for a toyota celica with chrome rims....
In his final year at IU, Crean's team averaged 79.7 PPG and gave up 73.3 PPG. In Fox's last year, Georgia averaged 68.1 PPG and gave up 66.7 PPG. so not only did Crean's team average 11.5 PPG more than Fox, his winning margin was 5 points greater than Fox's in their last years. This is apples to apples since they were both fired after their ninth year with the program and these were their last teams. In 2012-2013, Crean's IU spent ten weeks at #1 and all but two weeks of that season in the top 5. Do you want to know how many weeks Mark Fox spent in the TOP 25 in his nine seasons at Georgia? One. One week, in the top 25.. This is a significant step up for us even if it didn't work out for him at IU.

What is so hard to uderstand that if he produces what he did at IU at UGA they will be content with that. The expectations for UGA basketball is not what it is here. Fox got 9 years at UGA and only made the tournament 2 times so if Crean can win a couple of conference championships and go to 3 sweet 16's they will be happy.
The massive point you are missing is that Crean won’t be wearing an IU polo on recruiting trips anymore. A lot of Crean’s success had to do with the infrastructure that was already in place.

In his final year at IU, Crean's team averaged 79.7 PPG and gave up 73.3 PPG. In Fox's last year, Georgia averaged 68.1 PPG and gave up 66.7 PPG. so not only did Crean's team average 11.5 PPG more than Fox, his winning margin was 5 points greater than Fox's in their last years. This is apples to apples since they were both fired after their ninth year with the program and these were their last teams. In 2012-2013, Crean's IU spent ten weeks at #1 and all but two weeks of that season in the top 5. Do you want to know how many weeks Mark Fox spent in the TOP 25 in his nine seasons at Georgia? One. One week, in the top 25.. This is a significant step up for us even if it didn't work out for him at IU.
The numbers are not transferable from Bloomington to Athens. Again, this will all make sense in a few years.

The numbers are not transferable from Bloomington to Athens. Again, this will all make sense in a few years.
I don't think the name on the jersey is going to mean as much as some of you might think. It's all about coaching and Crean is a good offensive coach.

I don't think the name on the jersey is going to mean as much as some of you might think. It's all about coaching and Crean is a good offensive coach.

You remind me so much of the Marquette fans who came here to let us know how Crean was not a good floor coach. Would not teach or demand defense. Did not know how to use big men and would wear on us quickly.
I was one that thought that was just sour grapes because we took their coach. Oh how I was wrong.
With all do respect you seem to be trying to convince yourself that he is a very good coach. You surely will never convince us of that.

Well his last year he had two five star players (Blackmon and Bryant, both currently in the g league) along with Anuoby who was a near lottery pick and started some games for Toronto.

And he missed the tournament.

Now to be fair OG went out in January but we still had some bad losses.

Anyway, Indiana is a basketball school. We're on national TV more than most programs still. We've ALWAYS gotten more than our fair share of prized recruits.

Georgia doesn't have that built in advantage. Crean is going to have to do something that no other Georgia coach has done...recruit at a historical higher level because we can tell you if he doesn't have a talent advantage, his offensive game doesn't travel.

He'll win some big games because of his offense (and then make sure no one ever forgets it) but that will be balanced out by head scratching losses, insecure press conferences, massive transfers, just an absolutely chaotic program overall.

His act will wear thin.

Seriously, just listen to him. It's never specifics, it's all babble about good energy, togetherness and whatever buzzword is popular at the time.

Because he's a rah rah guy.

ppg is fool's gold, my man! dude wantonly traded offense for defense and then would blame home losses to Penn St on having "missed a few shots here and there."

again, he might be better than Fox...or his diminished ability to land players and assistants going from IU to UGA will make him very Fox-like.

anyway, it's a new day for Creaner! you've got something if he's learned to get out of his own way!

He's a horrible in game coach. Nothing out of halftime or timeouts. Indiana high school coaches lost respect for him after 2 years..

lol ............ no not really.

He pads offensive numbers by letting players leak for transition and crashing offensive boards, both of which lesson the defensive efficiency.

He sucks .. enjoy the gimmick of the year. I guess it's 3/4 press this time. Which he's never ran before. One year we switched everything, with a 6' PG. Another year we switched defenses in the middle of possessions, which confused our team more than the opponent. He had never done that before either. The guy just love gimmicks.. because he has no inherent talent and believes gimmicks are magic wands.... He sucks ..

He's a joke.. there's a reason other coaches call him Tommy Basketball, and it's not from endearment or respect.

Last edited:
The difference between IU and Georgia basketball is similar to the difference between IU and Georgia football. The names on the jersey matter a lot.
Only difference is the basketball talent in our state dwarfs the football talent in Indiana. The basketball talent in Atlanta alone is greater than the state of Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT