ADVERTISEMENT

More coaching rumors . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
Rusty Mansell was on an Atlanta sports talk show this morning, and he said that not only is UGA going to hire Kirby Smart as its new HC, Smart is also asking UGA to spring for Auburn's Will Muschamp (currently at $1.7 million) as Smart's new DC, plus it's likely that Smart will try to hire Alabama's strength and conditioning coach, Scott Cochran, to UGA as well. Cochran runs Alabama's "4th Quarter" off season physical and mental conditioning program . . . and is Kirby Smart's best friend.

The flip side is that UGA's DC, Jeremy Pruitt, would likely take Smart's place at Alabama. Pruitt was the hot commodity a few years back when he was Alabama's defensive backs coach who moved over to be DC at Florida State before being hired as UGA's DC a couple of years ago.

Look for a little bit of additional BAMA coaching staff poaching by Smart as he leaves Saban . . . it's likely he won't help coach any in the playoffs if Alabama beats Florida Saturday, according to both Mansell and another guy who covers Alabama for a news outlet in Montgomery.

UGA folks are giddy right now . . . for me, I just think it'll be interesting to see whether Smart and Muschamp can live with each other on the same coaching staff . . . .

Yep.

BTW, I forgot to mention that Smart also wants UF defensive line coach Chris Rumph.

Tracy Rocker will also be available.
Cochran would be a great hire, as would Muschamp (if he doesn't get something better). One of the next hot seats in the SEC is Malzahn's, and WM may want to move before he gets moved.

Pruitt was not a good fit for UGA. Abrasive and not well thought of, even by other staff members.

Rocker will probably stay. Too good of a coach and recruiter.

As for Ekeler, unless something has changed, I don't think he'd be welcomed back at IU.

Come on guys, Mike Eckler didn't produce anything but nightmares at IU. I absolutely don't remember much good about his coaching during his IU tenure.

Eckler was known for living out of his RV in the parking lot more than anything else.LOL

Cochran would be a great hire, as would Muschamp (if he doesn't get something better). One of the next hot seats in the SEC is Malzahn's, and WM may want to move before he gets moved.

Pruitt was not a good fit for UGA. Abrasive and not well thought of, even by other staff members.

Rocker will probably stay. Too good of a coach and recruiter.

As for Ekeler, unless something has changed, I don't think he'd be welcomed back at IU.

Can't argue with you regarding Rocker's qualifications . . . but Rumph and Smart worked together at Alabama for a few years, and he's considered a terrific recruiter too. So the Rumph to UGA notion has some professional/personal history to support it.

BTW, this isn't me suggesting Smart's interest in Rumph; I'm just passing along what a well-known UGA observer is saying.

Last edited:
Can't argue with you regarding Rocker's qualifications . . . but Rumph and Smart worked together at Alabama for a few years, and he's considered a terrific recruiter too. So the Rumph to UGA notion has some professional/personal history to support it.

BTW, this isn't me suggesting Smart's interest in Rumph; I'm just passing along what a well-known UGA observer is saying.
Not disputing what you're saying. Both of those guys will get to choose their jobs, whether that's at UGA or another school.

Rusty Mansell was on an Atlanta sports talk show this morning, and he said that not only is UGA going to hire Kirby Smart as its new HC, Smart is also asking UGA to spring for Auburn's Will Muschamp (currently at $1.7 million) as Smart's new DC, plus it's likely that Smart will try to hire Alabama's strength and conditioning coach, Scott Cochran, to UGA as well. Cochran runs Alabama's "4th Quarter" off season physical and mental conditioning program . . . and is Kirby Smart's best friend.

The flip side is that UGA's DC, Jeremy Pruitt, would likely take Smart's place at Alabama. Pruitt was the hot commodity a few years back when he was Alabama's defensive backs coach who moved over to be DC at Florida State before being hired as UGA's DC a couple of years ago.

Look for a little bit of additional BAMA coaching staff poaching by Smart as he leaves Saban . . . it's likely he won't help coach any in the playoffs if Alabama beats Florida Saturday, according to both Mansell and another guy who covers Alabama for a news outlet in Montgomery.

UGA folks are giddy right now . . . for me, I just think it'll be interesting to see whether Smart and Muschamp can live with each other on the same coaching staff . . . .

Whoa! Just heard Paul Finebaum reporting on Sports Center that Smart might also be bringing Lane Kiffen to UGA . . . and that Saban might be considering a 2nd stint in the NFL.

Sheez . . . Alabama could go from the most consistently dominant program in the country to starting over from scratch.

Naw . . . it couldn't happen . . . could it?

Whoa! Just heard Paul Finebaum reporting on Sports Center that Smart might also be bringing Lane Kiffen to UGA . . . and that Saban might be considering a 2nd stint in the NFL.

Sheez . . . Alabama could go from the most consistently dominant program in the country to starting over from scratch.

Was a rumor a few weeks ago that the Colts would look at Saban but now that the Colts are winning there might not be a coaching change.

Georgia is my second most favorite football team and I cannot imagine a Georgia team with Muschamp and Kiffin as the DC and OC. Just the thought of it makes me want to barf. Neither has the character to coach at Georgia.

Georgia is my second most favorite football team and I cannot imagine a Georgia team with Muschamp and Kiffin as the DC and OC. Just the thought of it makes me want to barf. Neither has the character to coach at Georgia.
I hate to say it, for your sake, but "character" doesn't seem to be the big thing at Georgia anymore.

Was a rumor a few weeks ago that the Colts would look at Saban but now that the Colts are winning there might not be a coaching change.
there was also a rumor that Payton wanted out of New Orleans and that Irsay was sniffing around in his direction as a guy who could "maximize" Andrew Luck's skills. It would be expensive to buy out his N.O. contract, FWIW

Eckler burnt his bridges when he left IU.......
Remind me how Eckler burnt his bridges when he left. When he was coaching I thought he was well liked. Then he left and all (this board) was upset with his actions. We have been bad so long, I don't remember if we ever had any good assistants. Heck, I always thought Billy Lynch was going to be a good coach. lol

Remind me how Eckler burnt his bridges when he left. When he was coaching I thought he was well liked. Then he left and all (this board) was upset with his actions. We have been bad so long, I don't remember if we ever had any good assistants. Heck, I always thought Billy Lynch was going to be a good coach. lol

I just remember reading some unflattering comments he made that were very derogatory towards IU football. Here is one thing I found.....

Fast forward three years. Having spent two forgettable years at Indiana (Oh, I learned more than I wanted!) and one great, highly unusual year at USC (basically four head coaches in one season), I found myself in a position no coach wants to be in. On Dec. 21st, after completing a 10-win season, having the No. 1 defense in the Pac-12 and No. 13 defense nationally, I was out of work.

Ekeler "left" twice. He came back the first time but
He left, was persuaded to stay, then left again when he had the chance. He can't come back.

What would Phyllis do? Man on one hand, she's annoying, on the other, I'm a huge fan...lol

In the Auburn game Eckler smacked one of the cornerbacks in the head so hard (congratulating him) that he had to come out of the game.

He has some energy - that's for sure.

In the Auburn game Eckler smacked one of the cornerbacks in the head so hard (congratulating him) that he had to come out of the game.

He has some energy - that's for sure.

Saw him take out a sideline ref at the Navy road game. Running down to celebrate a big play, lucky he didn't get a flag.

WTF does any of this have to do with IU Football... nothing. This is an IU Forum, isn't it?

Move on everyone, this thread is a waste of time.

Reactions: Lujo1986
WTF does any of this have to do with IU Football... nothing. This is an IU Forum, isn't it?

Move on everyone, this thread is a waste of time.
Dude, thank you...you beat me to the punch...take this crap to the UGA board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT