ADVERTISEMENT

Memo to Bill O’Reilly

Pass given for the first. The second time proves the point.
Kudos for getting him to finally acknowledge that he's a partisan hack. And he's embraced the label like a badge of honor. Amazing.

I support your candidacy for board mod and believe that your first official act should be the imposition of a lifetime ban on that poster - - not for his incessant hackery, but for his repeated use of the term "stoker" in referencing his live-in companion.

I line up pretty well with the Democrats on tort reform, abortion (before the Dems went batshit crazy about it) gun control, school vouchers, and a few other things. I’ve posted strongly about all of that because I figure why hold an opinion if you aren’t prepared to advocate for it? . But that doesn’t matter to Mark, you and a few others. Having voted for Trump trumps everything. Those who use words like “Trumpist” and “cultist” are the real partisan hacks.
I think you're combining an itemized list of topics with pure tribalism.

As you and everyone here knows, there is no straight right or left when it comes to the multitude of issues. A person can be extreme left on one issue, center on another and far right on another.

Tribalism is where we tend to get stuck in with our discussions.

Basically it's the refusal to call out our team's bullshit when it needs to be called out.

Take McMurtry, in my opinion he's currently very solidly republican. Add to it he can't stand the current democratic culture. I get it. However, he calls out his party's bullshit, which I think makes him a great political poster because I know his intent isn't 100% defending the tribe at all costs.

I believe it's both the ability to effectively communicate our tribes POV while also being able to identify and call out our tribe's bullshit (and/or recognize the blind spots of our personal biases) that make the best contributors on this board.

Reactions: larsIU
Tommy I disagree. I think most people are moderates. In fact I think the country is a Center ever so slightly left Bell curve. The cosmics, shooters, dbms are far more the exceptions than the norm imo. So when most say they are a moderate I believe them
I tend to believe that if we could ever get into a position of good discussion and trust in each other, but I think the bell curve that I thought existed has become much wider and flatter.

Current politicians are leaning into things that just 20 years ago would have ended their political careers.

The Internet and our propaganda networks have made us crazy, angry and seeing the worst in people.

How much of that is on purpose? How much is that just the nature of the audience power of social media?

I think a good argument can be made that we are living in the golden age of conspiracy theories.

Was the band Devo prophetic? Have we already reached the pinnacle of evolution and are now sliding into devolution? Lol

As you and everyone here knows, there is no straight right or left when it comes to the multitude of issues. A person can be extreme left on one issue, center on another and far right on another.

Basically it's the refusal to call out our team's bullshit when it needs to be called out.

Take McMurtry, in my opinion he's currently very solidly republican. Add to it he can't stand the current democratic culture. I get it. However, he calls out his party's bullshit, which I think makes him a great political poster because I know his intent isn't 100% defending the tribe at all costs.

I believe it's both the ability to effectively communicate our tribes POV while also being able to identify and call out our tribe's bullshit (and/or recognize the blind spots of our personal biases) that make the best contributors on this board.
And yet, he has that low reaction score.

And yet, he has that low reaction score.
You'll note I have an excellent Reaction Score. What's more I've achieved this EXCELLENT Reaction Score without cherry picking posts on the basketball board: The guy who looks like the singer from Counting Crows is coming back. I think we are legit top 20. BAM!!! Reaction Score power boost! True IU Football fans don't sell their tickets to Ohio State fans! They are SEC annoying. BAM!!! Reaction Score cat nip!!! Worse yet I've achieved this remarkable Score while being ACTIVELY sabotaged by you and Hoos.

Remarkable stuff

You'll note I have an excellent Reaction Score. What's more I've achieved this EXCELLENT Reaction Score without cherry picking posts on the basketball board: The guy who looks like the singer from Counting Crows is coming back. I think we are legit top 20. BAM!!! Reaction Score power boost! True IU Football fans don't sell their tickets to Ohio State fans! They are SEC annoying. BAM!!! Reaction Score cat nip!!! Worse yet I've achieved this remarkable Score while being ACTIVELY sabotaged by you and Hoos.

Remarkable stuff
Bulk - 111.4%
McM - 96.8%

Keep up

Reactions: TommyCracker
I think they should sell beer at the football games. POW!!!! We have to give coach time to implement his system. BAM!!!! Insert Trump meme!!! BONUS POINTS. At least we don't have Crean!! YOU'RE ON FIRE. Yeah but Purdue chicks are fat!!! THAT'S A WINNER!!!

"@mcmurtry66 is a soccer douche" is always good for a half dozen likes.

You act as though there is something wrong with being a partisan hack. I think all that means is i am an advocate and my posts reflect that. I wish more would post like that. The board would be more interesting. All we usually get are attacks on each other.

If you don’t like advocacy, stick with the movie, books TV thread. I like that one too along with the food threads.
hack2
/hak/
Learn to pronounce

noun
noun: hack; plural noun: hacks
  1. 1.
    a writer or journalist producing dull, unoriginal work.
    "a bunch of Hollywood hacks rewrite it five times"

I tend to believe that if we could ever get into a position of good discussion and trust in each other, but I think the bell curve that I thought existed has become much wider and flatter.

Current politicians are leaning into things that just 20 years ago would have ended their political careers.

The Internet and our propaganda networks have made us crazy, angry and seeing the worst in people.

How much of that is on purpose? How much is that just the nature of the audience power of social media?

I think a good argument can be made that we are living in the golden age of conspiracy theories.

Was the band Devo prophetic? Have we already reached the pinnacle of evolution and are now sliding into devolution? Lol
Those who can’t govern politicize.

I think talking in terms of tribalism when discussing substantive political or policy issues is bullshit.

How’s that?

I think talking in terms of tribalism when discussing substantive political or policy issues is bullshit.

How’s that?
Ehh I would say prioritizing tribalism when discussing substantive political or policy issues is bullshit as it prevents the ability to call out bullshit on the tribe, therefore greatly hindering the credibility of the opinion.

Kudos for getting him to finally acknowledge that he's a partisan hack. And he's embraced the label like a badge of honor. Amazing.

I support your candidacy for board mod and believe that your first official act should be the imposition of a lifetime ban on that poster - - not for his incessant hackery, but for his repeated use of the term "stoker" in referencing his live-in companion.
often wonder what that is? is it a gay thing

often wonder what that is? is it a gay thing
Given his rants about pride celebrations, I doubt it. The only place I've seen that word used in the context of a relationship is here, in the posts of COH and his protege. Maybe it's an old guys' expression, which makes it even more cringeworthy.

Given his rants about pride celebrations, I doubt it. The only place I've seen that word used in the context of a relationship is here, in the posts of COH and his protege. Maybe it's an old guys' expression, which makes it even more cringeworthy.
I'm assuming stoker is in reference to "stoking his fire"

I call my wife babe, so I'm not the one to judge.

This time.

sounds like a gay thing, has to be some sort of code, nobody calls their wife a stoker, and what self-respecting woman would allow herself to be referred to as a stoker,

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT