ADVERTISEMENT

Media day today

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Basketball getting close. While perusing through the media guide for todays media day, my my.... We got some grown ass men this year with measurables. JHS is listed 6-6 215. Kbanks 6-7 200, Leal 6-5 205, Gunn 6-6 186 (sounds like he is still growing), Kopp 6-7 220, JG 6-6 225, TJD 6-9 245, X 6-3 200, Race 6-8 235, Trey 6-5 200, Logan 6-9 234, Tamar 6-5 193, Malik 6-9 235.

Every guy on our squad is 6-5 our taller other than X. That is pretty crazy. JHS is 6-6 215, dude is big ten ready..... I have been hearing he is the real freaking deal. I mean Tamar is noticeably bigger right now, and only listed at 193. JHS is still 22 lbs heavier. I think we can mark in stone the backcourt of X and JHS starting.

How about this CJ Gunn fella, and Banks... Very intriguing. I dont wanna get ahead of myself, because I never do that, but this recruiting class might just be one we remember. Gunn I dont see having much of an impact this year, just not B1G body ready, and still growing it sounds and looks like from recent pics. If that guy grows into a body next year tho, he could be a factor.

Galloway has been doing some pretty mobile workouts that I have seen. 360 high vertical layups. Looks about as full go as can be from what I can tell. If that is the case, and he starts practicing with the team next week, he is gonna get minutes. Health will determine the teams success. Luckily, we have more talent than I can ever remember, and might be able to afford a few minor injuries throughout the season.

Team is loaded, expectations are high, this is what it is all about. Let's see what Woodson and crew can do this year. Bball, is almost here ladies.

Basketball getting close. While perusing through the media guide for todays media day, my my.... We got some grown ass men this year with measurables. JHS is listed 6-6 215. Kbanks 6-7 200, Leal 6-5 205, Gunn 6-6 186 (sounds like he is still growing), Kopp 6-7 220, JG 6-6 225, TJD 6-9 245, X 6-3 200, Race 6-8 235, Trey 6-5 200, Logan 6-9 234, Tamar 6-5 193, Malik 6-9 235.

Every guy on our squad is 6-5 our taller other than X. That is pretty crazy. JHS is 6-6 215, dude is big ten ready..... I have been hearing he is the real freaking deal. I mean Tamar is noticeably bigger right now, and only listed at 193. JHS is still 22 lbs heavier. I think we can mark in stone the backcourt of X and JHS starting.

How about this CJ Gunn fella, and Banks... Very intriguing. I dont wanna get ahead of myself, because I never do that, but this recruiting class might just be one we remember. Gunn I dont see having much of an impact this year, just not B1G body ready, and still growing it sounds and looks like from recent pics. If that guy grows into a body next year tho, he could be a factor.

Galloway has been doing some pretty mobile workouts that I have seen. 360 high vertical layups. Looks about as full go as can be from what I can tell. If that is the case, and he starts practicing with the team next week, he is gonna get minutes. Health will determine the teams success. Luckily, we have more talent than I can ever remember, and might be able to afford a few minor injuries throughout the season.

Team is loaded, expectations are high, this is what it is all about. Let's see what Woodson and crew can do this year. Bbball, is almost here ladies.
Yeah, the one that shocks me is JHS... thought he was 6'4" so surprised to see him listed at 6'6"... and this is the second time, so assume he grew or I just was mistaken. The guy he's made me think of since we signed him was Geo Baker, although Baker was never that highly rated, but maybe I got confused on the height there. But, I felt like between he, Harper and Mulcahy, that was the group that brought toughness and a new attitude to Rutgers and elevated their program. Hoping for the same from this group for IU and an even higher ceiling! I've been saying for years we need more toughness and size. Sounds like we've got the size for sure now, and I'm sure hoping on the toughness (and shooting!)!

Reports on guys looking bigger is a time honored tradition. Doesn't always pan out that way.

But with this team, I think it'll be pretty evident early on that we're bigger, stronger, faster than we have been in recent memory.

If we can put the ball in the hole, it could be a special year.

Reports on guys looking bigger is a time honored tradition. Doesn't always pan out that way.

But with this team, I think it'll be pretty evident early on that we're bigger, stronger, faster than we have been in recent memory.

If we can put the ball in the hole, it could be a special year.
yep, at one point Charles Barkley was listed as a 6'7" forward from Auburn. By the time of his retirement he has shrunk down to a hair under 6-4.

That said, I've been impressed with JHS since I watched a couple MV games on ESPN last yr. I think the key to success this year will be development -proven in actual games- by the likes of Bates and JG. We'll see...only so many game minutes to split up.

And let's hope X picks up where he left off last season.

btw did they ever pull that meth head out of the rain sewers the other day? Our son called me, it caused one of his classes to be cxl'd. Said there were swat teams, flash grenades...

Reactions: IUgradman
yep, at one point Charles Barkley was listed as a 6'7" forward from Auburn. By the time of his retirement he has shrunk down to a hair under 6-4.

That said, I've been impressed with JHS since I watched a couple MV games on ESPN last yr. I think the key to success this year will be development -proven in actual games- by the likes of Bates and JG. We'll see...only so many game minutes to split up.

btw did they ever pull that meth head out of the rain sewers the other day? Our son called me, it caused one of his classes to be cxl'd. Said there were swat teams, flash grenades...
Was wondering the same on the sewer guy?

Lots of keys to the season. I've listed mine a bunch of times, they haven't really changed.

1. Being more efficient offensively.
2. Improving our late game defense, especially against elite level wings.

Those seem obvious, and are pretty high level...there are a lot of more specific keys that would lead to those 2 things...Better outside shooting, different offense, TJD/Race being more efficient, better awareness of rotations and times to have specific defensive stoppers in the game, etc... But in the end, I don't really care how those first 2 things improve, just as long as they do. We can be really, really good if those things become strengths for us, instead of weaknesses.

Reactions: IU73
i've seen a lot of thinner wiry guys who could flat out play and were tough.

and many physical specimens who couldn't.

skill and instincts and toughness matter.

always loved Vitale's "all airport team" reference.

anxious to see who has offensive skills at this level of the new guys.

in big classes, there's often someone who surprises on the positive side.

JHS's potential lies in his shooting. he has the rest. but will need to shoot it consistently to start or log big mins at the 2

that said, still think Leal has more offensively than we've seen so far, and is better defensively than given credit by fans, so maybe he'll surprise..

would love to see him become a really great ball handler, (which you do by handing the ball a lot), and develop a "you can't stop me" mentality like X.

shooting is one thing that some often do make a big jump on as they age.. if Tre can make that jump sooner than later, i can see him become a small VanArsdale.

haven't seen much of Gunn, but in the little i have, a couple times i did see a high potential player, even if not yet fully developed.

Last edited:
i've seen a lot of thinner wiry guys who could flat out play and were tough.

and many physical specimens who couldn't.

skill and instincts and toughness matter.

always loved Vitale's "all airport team" reference.

anxious to see who has offensive skills at this level of the new guys.

in big classes, there's often someone who surprises on the positive side.

JHS's potential lies in his shooting. he has the rest. but will need to shoot it consistently to start or log big mins at the 2

that said, still think Leal has more offensively than we've seen so far, and is better defensively than given credit by fans, so maybe he'll surprise..

would love to see him become a really great ball handler, (which you do by handing the ball a lot), and develop a "you can't stop me" mentality like X.

shooting is one thing that some often do make a big jump on as they age.. if Tre can make that jump sooner than later, i can see him become a mini VanArsdale.

haven't seen much of Gunn, but in the little i have, a couple times i did see a high potential player, even if not yet fully developed.
Obviously if JHS can make open shots that'll be huge. But if he's "5 star level" in all the other important areas, namely defensively, he'll start and play a lot of minutes.

Reactions: IUgradman and IU73
I'd like to see this team play with more pace ..As NBA coaches like to say..
That may lead to more.. Pull our hair out moments..
But it's something I could see coach wanting ...We have the athletes to do it...

Yes, they got him out of the sewer

Yeah, the one that shocks me is JHS... thought he was 6'4" so surprised to see him listed at 6'6"... and this is the second time, so assume he grew or I just was mistaken. The guy he's made me think of since we signed him was Geo Baker, although Baker was never that highly rated, but maybe I got confused on the height there. But, I felt like between he, Harper and Mulcahy, that was the group that brought toughness and a new attitude to Rutgers and elevated their program. Hoping for the same from this group for IU and an even higher ceiling! I've been saying for years we need more toughness and size. Sounds like we've got the size for sure now, and I'm sure hoping on the toughness (and shooting!)!
Geo Baker more like Geo Metro compared to JHS.

Team is loaded, expectations are high, this is what it is all about. Let's see what Woodson and crew can do this year. Bbball, is almost here ladies.
you said I don't want to get ahead of myself, lol. I like your enthusiasm but you always playing catch up to your expectations

• Haha
Reactions: aajohn2000

I've been out of town, has lucy done something stupid?

You’re an underwhelming fan if you didn’t see it considering everyone who covers IU picked it up.
This coming from the clown who shits himself and throws Players under the bus after every loss. Que huevos - most gerbils probably have a bigger pair. GLWT.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
@Cavanagh

What do you make of TJDs comment on JHS? I know you said there's no way he's as good as X but if he's really 1andD good...

@Cavanagh

What do you make of TJDs comment on JHS? I know you said there's no way he's as good as X but if he's really 1andD good...
JHS has a pro body and 100% will play in the league. The league drafts on potential. JHS could average 10 points a game and be a 1st round pick like the guys on Duke if we are final 4 good.

As far as X compared to JHS this year, I promise it won't be question on who runs the team. This is X's team, did you hear when Woody said that from the end of last season to right now X has been the brightest spot of all or something like that. I took that as he has had the best offseason.

When I text with him he has told me he is in the best shape of his life, strong as shit. I hired a student to be my videographer and we just got permission from IU yesterday to have him go with X on his own personal workouts in cook hall (he does a shit ton on his own). I am gonna add to the hype when Cavanaghs corner releases X getting jacked in the weight room hype videos lol.

Reactions: 76-1 and dbmhoosier
I predict X will turn his misfortunes in the off-season to a positive and have a really great year. I really think things clicked for him at the end of last year, and that will continue. He knows he has to be team first now, or he sits.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I predict X will turn his misfortunes in the off-season to a positive and have a really great year. I really think things clicked for him at the end of last year, and that will continue. He knows he has to be team first now, or he sits.
X is all in

Reactions: 76-1
Geo Baker more like Geo Metro compared to JHS.
Let's hope so. As I said, I think we have a higher ceiling, but Baker was a really good player in the B10 and is one of the primary seasons we've been Rutgers B the last few years. He was no Metro!

You must be confused, not surprising.
Time for Trayce to pull his head out of his ass for fks sake. Seth Davis is 100% correct that TJD needs a mid major defense to shine.
I’m still confused as to where any of these guys would be going besides a lessor college team.
Hard to believe this group could win at Purdue. I would bet they get blown out.
Hate to say it, but IU has to recruit better. He’s (Race) basically Al Durham at the 4
X has been so bad on D. Rob is a foul machine
Listen to Johnson’s press answers; It took 3-4 sentences to let me know this dude does not get it and never will. Woody is going to get tested with him big time.
None of these guys care about IU. It’s a me first transfer list of guys who’s specialty is losing. Sad but true
He (X) doesn’t know how to play when it matters. Why? Because he came from a losing program where no games mattered. Then he quit the team before the season was over.

Two losses, two disappearing acts from the PG. I hope it’s not a trend but I kind of know better.
Took all of 5 minutes to compile a small sample of your whiny all-is-lost hot-takes. Reads like any other garden variety tough-talking candy-ass. But then perhaps I am "confused", no doubt you've an answer for that as well.

Took all of 5 minutes to compile a small sample of your whiny all-is-lost hot-takes. Reads like any other garden variety tough-talking candy-ass. But then perhaps I am "confused", no doubt you've an answer for that as well.
Wow, you really need a hobby. Every single one of those posts were 100% accurate at the time, and I stand by every single one of them.

Loser

Wow, you really need a hobby. Every single one of those posts were 100% accurate at the time, and I stand by every single one of them.

Loser
no no no. What you are doing is a 180. That’s ok, and the smartest thing you can do to save face. But to stand by all of those posts means X is a worthless transfer that will cost Woodson his job and will never be a leader.

can’t have it both ways, the internet is forever, winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT