ADVERTISEMENT

Mayor Pete's terrible tax plan

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015

Let's continue the neglect of rural America and punish people for living in more remote locations

• Angry
Reactions: td75
How many Prius's and Teslas do you think are in Linton or Oolitic?

Stop making sense. Doesn't fit the narrative.
Oolitic? Don't most people still drive around in buggies there? (Had a college roommate from Oolitic. Always thought it was the oddest name for a town, particularly in the Midwest. The fact that it is named after a type of rock makes it that much odder.)

Let's continue the neglect of rural America and punish people for living in more remote locations
I hate the idea that Uncle Sam helps people buy an electric vehicle and then gives those same owners a total pass on fuel taxes. I’m not sold on mileage taxes because I don’t trust the collection process. I think increased registration fees to be paid with license plate renewal would be doable.

I'd like to see this correlate more with actual wear and tear on roads. Miles driven gets you partway there, but damage to roads scales roughly by the weight to the 4th power (different studies have shown this effect to be somewhere between the 3rd and 5th power, wherever it falls in there it's drastically non-linear). That's why it's really stupid to talk about taxing bikes and pedestrians for usage, but that leaf or Prius does vastly less damage than an SUV, and that SUV does vastly less damage than a semi.
vehicle-weight-and-damage-chart.jpg

I'd like to see this correlate more with actual wear and tear on roads. Miles driven gets you partway there, but damage to roads scales roughly by the weight to the 4th power (different studies have shown this effect to be somewhere between the 3rd and 5th power, wherever it falls in there it's drastically non-linear). That's why it's really stupid to talk about taxing bikes and pedestrians for usage, but that leaf or Prius does vastly less damage than an SUV, and that SUV does vastly less damage than a semi.
Work suvs over 6,000lbs (land rovers etc) get a 25k deduction

I hate the idea that Uncle Sam helps people buy an electric vehicle and then gives those same owners a total pass on fuel taxes. I’m not sold on mileage taxes because I don’t trust the collection process. I think increased registration fees to be paid with license plate renewal would be doable.
Don't hold me to it, but I believe in Indiana an electric or a hybrid pays a surcharge each year when renewing their registration.

The democrats want everyone to live in big, ugly, liberal cities. You better believe this would hurt rural Americans...I know, I am a rural American.

How does it hurt more than the gas tax? Rural people are more likely to drive large vehicles that get less fuel mileage. So they are already are probably paying more.

Reactions: largemouth
By far the hardest things on roads per pound are Amish Buggies. Horses tear the roads to pieces.

How does it hurt more than the gas tax? Rural people are more likely to drive large vehicles that get less fuel mileage. So they are already are probably paying more.
They are also likely to drive older ones so is the amount per mile you pay also going to be based on value of vehicle? I didn't read anything about it but also how is this going to be verified? This would be a major clusterf**K to even try and enforce.

That’s part of the reason they started making them buy license plates for their buggies here in Daviess county, I believe.
I used to be friendly with the county engineer in the Ohio county where I used to live. Nice guy. Lifelong Republican who voted for Obama (but only once, I think) because he didn't like where his party was going. But whatever.

Anyway, there was this big...whatever you call an animal farm complex...a few miles from my grandma's house. Everyone complained about it. He told me that almost half his county's road repair budget (cities and towns in the county had their own budgets) was eaten up by a few square miles around this one location.

I used to be friendly with the county engineer in the Ohio county where I used to live. Nice guy. Lifelong Republican who voted for Obama (but only once, I think) because he didn't like where his party was going. But whatever.

Anyway, there was this big...whatever you call an animal farm complex...a few miles from my grandma's house. Everyone complained about it. He told me that almost half his county's road repair budget (cities and towns in the county had their own budgets) was eaten up by a few square miles around this one location.
On paved roads around here, you can tell exactly where the horses run, because there’s a continuous layer of repair work in those tracks.

It looks like a bike path built into both sides of the road.

It’s unbelievable how hard horses are on roads.

On paved roads around here, you can tell exactly where the horses run, because there’s a continuous layer of repair work in those tracks.

Yep, and with the big complexes, you not only have the horses, but the big tractors hauling livestock, which was what added to Ray's (the engineer) headaches.

BTW, I could always tell when the county's budget ran out, because that was when those stretches of road were replaced with gravel for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
The democrats want everyone to live in big, ugly, liberal cities. You better believe this would hurt rural Americans...I know, I am a rural American.

no one is more subsidized than rural Americans, from roads to phone and electric, and now pushing hard for internet access subsidization.

that said, i've never heard any liberal pushing for more people to live in cities, nor ever have you.

that said, if liberals all left the cities and spread out in the country, conservatives would never win another election, as population concentration of liberals is all that keeps conservatives in minority rule..

That makes a ton of sense

I'm assuming you're being funny, but animals on roads is not a laughing matter in rural counties. They tear that s*it up.
Why are you assuming that? I was totally serious they are horrible, horses wear ruts in the pavement causing water issues and even more damage. They fill the groove in with asphalt around here every few yrs. My solid foot thick wall brick house shakes when they go by on the road.

I see Pete says there is no change to the current gas tax in the infrastructure plan
Too bad. They needed to show some backbone. A few cents on the gas tax wouldn't be noticed beyond the short short screaming and yelling from the Pubs. It would go a long way toward financing roads and bridges and whatnot and bringing them up to standard. The handful of electrics on the road getting a "free ride" in the near term aren't worth mentioning, and can be dealt with later on (perhaps with surcharges at registration time like in Indiana).

Reactions: Cortez88
Too bad. They needed to show some backbone. A few cents on the gas tax wouldn't be noticed beyond the short short screaming and yelling from the Pubs. It would go a long way toward financing roads and bridges and whatnot and bringing them up to standard. The handful of electrics on the road getting a "free ride" in the near term aren't worth mentioning, and can be dealt with later on (perhaps with surcharges at registration time like in Indiana).
And it sounds like we need a bigger tax on horse and buggy.

We haven't changed gas taxes in a long time. If we want our highways to stay modern (very loose use of that word, substitute "if want our highways to slow their decay to barely discernable dirt paths"), we need to change the funding for them somehow.

Reactions: UncleMark
And it sounds like we need a bigger tax on horse and buggy.

We haven't changed gas taxes in a long time. If we want our highways to stay modern (very loose use of that word, substitute "if want our highways to slow their decay to barely discernable dirt paths"), we need to change the funding for them somehow.
Plenty of time to change the funding model. Electrics are still a minor player. Need to shore up the existing system now.

gas tax is very regressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT