ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter

Carsen Edwards is a very good player. But you can't compare him to Yogi Ferrell. Yogi was one of the best PGs this conference has ever had. Edwards may be the better leaper, but Yogi had some blazing quickness.

Edwards is a SG. Not sure why we’re comparing them in the first place. I said I thought Carsen was more athletic than Yogi. The shooter/scorer comment was in reference to him being a SG/playing off the ball as he’s not a PG like Yogi was.

Edwards is a SG. Not sure why we’re comparing them in the first place. I said I thought Carsen was more athletic than Yogi. That’s all I mentioned.
Like I said, they are different players. Carsen has that ability and breaks down the defense a lot but he’s more of a shooter/scorer than Yogi ever was. Csasen is absolutely capable of creating shots for shooters. He can break down the defense easily.

I like Edwards. To bad he isn't on IU. If he can be a PG, he may have a good shot at the next level.

I thought I read it mentioned that he is much better scorer shooter than Yogi. I don't care what positions they play. SG or PG. The stats say not so much.

I like Edwards. To bad he isn't on IU. If he can be a PG, he may have a good shot at the next level.

I thought I read it mentioned that he is much better scorer shooter than Yogi. I don't care what positions they play. SG or PG. The stats say not so much.

Yeah I think he has to develop PG skills to be an NBA guy. I was trying to argue that he couldn’t break down defenses/get open shots for his teammates. I think he’s really good at getting his own shot and setting up teammates. Will be interesting to watch what he does as an upperclassman.

Edwards is a SG. Not sure why we’re comparing them in the first place. I said I thought Carsen was more athletic than Yogi. The shooter/scorer comment was in reference to him being a SG/playing off the ball as he’s not a PG like Yogi was.
No such thing as a 6' shooting guard in college.

You don't know what you are talking about, but that is ok. And, Carsen has had his chance to carry the team now that opponents know how to neutralize PU and PU can't stop losing: as a matter of fact, PU looks totally defeated. Yogi carried IU on his back the entire year.

Carsen may have a nice career overseas: nothing wrong with that.
The who is better argument is irrelevant.

But it sounds like your comparing Senior Kevin Ferrell to a Sophmore Carsen Edwards.

I really hope Painter can get this straightened out. Can't get mad at the comments on here since our own fans are being very critical too. Yes, I'm very concerned. Fire away!

"you're getting beat by Wisky".

If there's one topic on which IU fans can speak with authority, it's getting beat by Wisconsin.

Crean is the world's foremost authority on this subject. If there were a Nobel Prize for losing to Wisconsin, Tom Crean would have that sewn up. It's pretty amazing as an older IU fan to think back to how we owned, absolutely owned, Wisconsin in the late 70s and 80s and how the course of time has reversed itself there. Here's hoping the pendulum is swinging back our way.

Last edited:
This was our best team in maybe.....ever. And this is what we get? We will be lucky to reach the S16.

It's always the same story. I'm tired of being a shitty team.

For starters, 1987-1988 Purdue with Troy Lewis, Everett Stephens, Melvin McCants and Todd Mitchell & 1993-1994 Purdue with Glenn Robinson, Cuonzo Martin would beat this year's Purdue team by 40+.

Reactions: Hoogolf
For starters, 1987-1988 Purdue with Troy Lewis, Everett Stephens, Melvin McCants and Todd Mitchell & 1993-1994 Purdue with Glenn Robinson, Cuonzo Martin would beat this year's Purdue team by 40+.

I think even the Hummel teams would beat this team. More athletic and better overall talent with 3 NBA guys.

I think even the Hummel teams would beat this team. More athletic and better overall talent with 3 NBA guys.

Most definitely. 2009-2010 Purdue was far better than this year's Purdue team, and had Hummel not blown out his knee, likely would've gone down as one of Purdue's best squads ever.

Reactions: skfboiler
Most definitely. 2009-2010 Purdue was far better than this year's Purdue team, and had Hummel not blown out his knee, likely would've gone down as one of Purdue's best squads ever.

Agreed. This team is good but when I hear people say “The best Purdue team ever” I laugh. Is it a really good team? Absolutely. But it doesn’t stack up with some of the greats at Purdue.

It was one of PU’s best squads ever. Bar is pretty low...

Uh, you're picking the Everett Stevens / Troy Lewis team for the best one, right?
Yes I am with the big dog team close behind. I would also think the 80 team who went to the final four would be up there as well. I am just going since I have watched college basketball so past teams might be better but who knows.

Yes I am with the big dog team close behind. I would also think the 80 team who went to the final four would be up there as well. I am just going since I have watched college basketball so past teams might be better but who knows.
Well neither of us got to see Wooden as an actual player right?

No such thing as a 6' shooting guard in college.
Really? Here's 6 .. just off the top of my head .. i'm sure there's probably at least 50 more ..

Ryan McMahon
Carson Edwards
James Bolden
Kamar Baldwin
Jahmal McMurray
Jonathon Starks

The who is better argument is irrelevant.

But it sounds like your comparing Senior Kevin Ferrell to a Sophmore Carsen Edwards.
Edwards is better as a soph than Yogi was as a senior. Though its' tough to compare them because they had different roles and play(ed) different positions. Efficiency ratings favor CE.

His PER is currently 24 and topped out this year at around 26 or 27, he's in a slight slump and it's been going down for a few weeks.. fwiw - anything near 25 is phenomenal for a wing guard. If he had the measurables he'd be a first rd pick, but ... he doesn't.

Yogi's career high was 22 as a senior, which is barely above average for a 1st role starting guard on a top 40 team. (21.5) Most IU fans love Yogi Ferrell, I consider him the most overrated player to ever grace the candy stripes, which is a very unpopular opinion, but the analytics back it .. He was solid, but nothing special.. just a lot of possessions, and a lot of minutes..

Last edited:
Really? Here's 6 .. just off the top of my head .. i'm sure there's probably at least 50 more ..

Ryan McMahon
Carson Edwards
James Bolden
Kamar Baldwin
Jahmal McMurray
Jonathon Starks
They're called point guards.

If Carsen was better, he would have been a Burger Boy. There is a reason Yogi was a Burger Boy and is an NBA talent and Carsen is neither, and you won't find it in analytics.

They're called point guards.

If Carsen was better, he would have been a Burger Boy. There is a reason Yogi was a Burger Boy and is an NBA talent and Carsen is neither, and you won't find it in analytics.

They’re actually called shooting guards. Try to keep up.

Burger Boy? You realize that means very little once a recruit gets to campus right? Remind me if Oladipo was a burger boy? Actual stats are provided to you proving that Carsen has better ratings but you choose to ignore it. Carsen is absolutely an NBA talent. Saying otherwise is foolish but coming from you, I’m not surprised.

Burger Boy? You realize that means very little once a recruit gets to campus right? Remind me if Oladipo was a burger boy? Actual stats are provided to you proving that Carsen has better ratings but you choose to ignore it. Carsen is absolutely an NBA talent. Saying otherwise is foolish but coming from you, I’m not surprised.

Time will tell if Carson is an NBA talent.

If you are a 6' college basketball player, you are a PG: this isn't high school. If you are 6' NBA player, you definitely are a PG: it ain't happening for a 6' shooting guard. Yogi simply has more natural talent and ability than Carsen: doesn't mean Carsen isn't a nice college player. Yogi averaged around 16-17 PPG for most of his IU career and set the IU assist record.

I understand being a Burger Boy "doesn't mean much" to a PU fan because you never get them. There is a correlation with rankings and making the NBA. The Vic's are the outliers. Wake me up when Carsen is the 2nd pick in the Draft and an NBA All-Star. Vic is also 6'4 and has athleticism, talent, and a work ethic Carsen couldn't fathom. Actually, just wake me up when Carsen is producing on an NBA roster (like Yogi is): better learn some PG's skills and quick.

Try to keep up? Please. Have you ever even played basketball? Are you able to look at talent and understand it outside of a nerd stats lens?

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
If you are a 6' college basketball player, you are a PG: this isn't high school. If you are 6' NBA player, you definitely are a PG: it ain't happening for a 6' shooting guard. Yogi simply has more natural talent and ability than Carsen: doesn't mean Carsen isn't a nice college player. Yogi averaged around 16-17 PPG for most of his IU career and set the IU assist record.

I understand being a Burger Boy "doesn't mean much" to a PU fan because you never get them. There is a correlation with rankings and making the NBA. The Vic's are the outliers. Wake me up when Carsen is the 2nd pick in the Draft and an NBA All-Star. Vic is also 6'4 and has athleticism, talent, and a work ethic Carsen couldn't fathom. Actually, just wake me up when Carsen is producing on an NBA roster (like Yogi is): better learn some PG's skills and quick.

Try to keep up? Please. Have you ever even played basketball? Are you able to look at talent and understand it outside of a nerd stats lens?

Work ethic Carsen couldn’t fathom? I didn’t realize you knew about Carsen’s work ethic. I disagree about the natural talent comment. That’s simply your opinion and you’re ignoring advanced statistics.

Have I ever played? I played AAU growing up and played at a large Indy school. Have you?

Last edited:
Work ethic Carsen couldn’t fathom? I didn’t realize you knew about Carsen’s work ethic. I disagree about the natural talent comment. That’s simply your opinion and you’re ignoring advanced statistics.

Have I ever played? I played AAU growing up and played at a large Indy school. Have you?
Few people have Vic's work ethic. I don't think there is a question Vic is in a different league from Carsen (no pun intended). Yogi averaged plenty of points and assists. I don't see how a person can look at Yogi and Carsen and not see that Yogi has more natural ability. Yogi's not as much of a freak athlete as Vic, but he's still a freak.

I am actually from Matt Painter's neck of the woods. I grew up in Indiana: of course I played basketball! I played up to my sophomore year and quit. I didn't have college level talent, but I had enough talent to make the team as an upperclassman: how much PT I would have gotten, who knows. I think I need to find an middle age league to stay in shape.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT