ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter or Chris Beard as your coach

What a complete joke that pork chop won coach of year
I told my wife that watching TT is like watching IU of old. We were tough defensively and took care of the ball. Right now I would say Beard has done more with less. I could be wrong but it just seems like PU has better talent, but Beard gets a lot out of those guys.

Last edited:
What a complete joke that pork chop won coach of year
I told my wife that watching TT is like watching IU of old. We were tough defensively and took care of the ball. Right now I would say Beard has done more with less. I could be wrong but it just seems like PU has better talent, but Beard gets a lot out of those guys.
Better talent? On paper IU had better talent than Purdue. I have no idea the talent level rating wise of TT. They out rebounded MSU and consistently held them to one shot. Happy to see Izzo lose. I’m sure we can agree on that.

Reactions: Bill4411
Better talent? On paper IU had better talent than Purdue. I have no idea the talent level rating wise of TT. They out rebounded MSU and consistently held them to one shot. Happy to see Izzo lose. I’m sure we can agree on that.
I might make somebody mad on here. But I started out rooting for MSU because they are B1G. But as the game was going on I found myself really appreciating what TT was doing. You are right about how on paper IU was talented. But paper don't win games by playing smart and defending. TT does that.

Reactions: indy1203
Doesn't TT have 3 grad transfers? Yes, beard is a great coach from watching him ~4 years. However, experienced backcourts are what typically lead to less turnovers and winning big. I'm perfectly happy with our own coach. I feel like next year and 20 will both be a lot of fun to watch (the state is loaded with talent in the next few classes). By the time Rob is Jr, I think we can count on being national contenders, again. That said, I agree with you I love watching Knight's defens come back. It was the part of his coaching that was by far the most underrated. Our defense has some similar philosophies, but both have obvious pros and cons (most importantly getting players to buy in and put effort in on D).

No. PU had much better shooting without Hunter, and an injured Romeo.

Reactions: Courtsensethree
Doesn't TT have 3 grad transfers? Yes, beard is a great coach from watching him ~4 years. However, experienced backcourts are what typically lead to less turnovers and winning big. I'm perfectly happy with our own coach. I feel like next year and 20 will both be a lot of fun to watch (the state is loaded with talent in the next few classes). By the time Rob is Jr, I think we can count on being national contenders, again. That said, I agree with you I love watching Knight's defens come back. It was the part of his coaching that was by far the most underrated. Our defense has some similar philosophies, but both have obvious pros and cons (most importantly getting players to buy in and put effort in on D).
No, they have 2 - Mooney and Owens.

th
Choppy, is that you in the background?

Can I have some of what you’re smoking?

I keep hearing you guys say Phinisee would never see the floor at PU because of your vastly superior players. Rob was one of IU's top two uninjured players so I am confused.

Numerous threads on your site since he signed including one currently started by Methboy. If you didn't spend all your time here you would know that,

Phinesee on the other hand, made a great decision because Purdue had a PG that there was no way he could beat out. Maybe he could have challenged Hunter, but Hunter is pretty good too. Phinesee is going to have a great career at IU. Interesting to see how this plays out.

If I was a defense attorney, you could be my jury foreperson.

I keep hearing you guys say Phinisee would never see the floor at PU because of your vastly superior players. Rob was one of IU's top two uninjured players so I am confused.
Top Two? Not sure how you put him in top two - Romeo, Juwan, Green then Durham/Rob.

And if you count non -injured, Durham & Smith might be the top two

Can I have some of what you’re smoking?

There wasn't anything crazy about his statement. On paper both teams did have similar talent. There is a reason almost everyone on here picked IU to have a better season than Purdue (I assume you did as well). We all thought IU had more talent.

There wasn't anything crazy about his statement. On paper both teams did have similar talent. There is a reason almost everyone on here picked IU to have a better season than Purdue (I assume you did as well). We all thought IU had more talent.
Which paper?

The one that had a complete, healthy IU roster? Or the one that had Hunter gone for the year, Thompson gone for all but 9 games and Phinisee missing a substantial amount of time?

The comparison to Texas Tech / Purdue is made regarding after-the-fact - not BEFORE. Go back and re-read the conversation. Therefore, to say IU had better talent on paper is extremely disingenuous.

Lol didn’t IU give championship Sweet 16 rings and build a trophy case for the #1 overall seed that choked their season away?
We have to keep the trophies someplace. We have misplaced our Helms banners (yes, more than one) on purpose because it isn't a real championship. But, you can be proud of yours (single) until you win something.

Win something, then we can talk to you. Until then, you won't know how special it is.

Everything about Texas Tech is better than purdue. Better players. Better coach. Better engineering school. Better football. Better baseball. You name it and it's better. Their football coach was fired and hired by the NFL.

Which paper?

The one that had a complete, healthy IU roster? Or the one that had Hunter gone for the year, Thompson gone for all but 9 games and Phinisee missing a substantial amount of time?

The comparison to Texas Tech / Purdue is made regarding after-the-fact - not BEFORE. Go back and re-read the conversation. Therefore, to say IU had better talent on paper is extremely disingenuous.

Thompson couldn't even get playing time when he was healthy. Phin missed 3 games and we lost one of them. I do think Hunter was the biggest lost of the season.

Reactions: ufo33
Thompson couldn't even get playing time when he was healthy. Phin missed 3 games and we lost one of them. I do think Hunter was the biggest lost of the season.
Phin might have missed only 3 games, but he wan't himself again until the 2nd Purdue game. Just having Rob healthy w/o a concussion would have been enough to have gotten us into the dance.

BTW - haven't forgotten the "discussion" I promised. Still getting all my ducks in a row. Will post something later this week.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Phin might have missed only 3 games, but he wan't himself again until the 2nd Purdue game. Just having Rob healthy w/o a concussion would have been enough to have gotten us into the dance.

BTW - haven't forgotten the "discussion" I promised. Still getting all my ducks in a row. Will post something later this week.

I disagree on the Phin wasn't himself until the Purdue game. I might agree with the argument, but he also struggled down the stretch. The biggest game of the year he went 1-6, had 1 assist, 3 turnovers and couldn't get off the bench the last 10+ minutes of the game. He was also awful in the Wichita State game, as well. I think what is more likely, is Phin struggled in those games because he was a freshmen and inconsistent throughout the year. Also, no worry on the response. Life is busy.

Last edited:
I disagree on the Phin wasn't himself until the Purdue game. I might agree with the argument, but he also struggled down the stretch. The biggest game of the year he went 1-6, had 1 assist, 3 turnovers and couldn't get off the bench the last 10+ of the game. He was also awful in the Wichita State game. I think what is more likely, is Phin struggled in those games because he was a freshmen and inconsistent throughout the year. Also, no worry on the response. Life is busy.
What I meant was Phin wasn’t himself on defense - which is where his biggest impact was.

Both had a great year. I'll agree Beard should (and did in the AP) win COY. I think Painter was the clear #2 and I will gladly take a top 2 COY candidate.

The real travesty was Rick Barnes winning Naismith COY. What a joke. That should be something we can hopefully agree on.

PU choked. No awards to chokers.

Take all their awards away. Hell even worse that your players were chokin
We have to keep the trophies someplace. We have misplaced our Helms banners (yes, more than one) on purpose because it isn't a real championship. But, you can be proud of yours (single) until you win something.

Win something, then we can talk to you. Until then, you won't know how special it is.

Well that wasn’t the point of my post at all. It was to the idiotic statement about no one should get any awards when the team chokes. So pretty much eliminate Victor’s legacy from the university

Take all their awards away. Hell even worse that your players were chokin

Well that wasn’t the point of my post at all. It was to the idiotic statement about no one should get any awards when the team chokes. So pretty much eliminate Victor’s legacy from the university

Pu didn't choke this year, not even a little.

Both had a great year. I'll agree Beard should (and did in the AP) win COY. I think Painter was the clear #2 and I will gladly take a top 2 COY candidate.

The real travesty was Rick Barnes winning Naismith COY. What a joke. That should be something we can hopefully agree on.
Why was PU or TT EVER ranked #1 for a significant portion of the season?

Why was PU or TT EVER ranked #1 for a significant portion of the season?
He returned all 5 starters. Preseason ranked in the top 10. Didn't win the SEC regular season OR tournament. They lost in the sweet 16 to another coach in this discussion. It was a good run, but underwhelming compared to Beard/Painter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT