ADVERTISEMENT

NHL/Boston Bruins

GeddyHoosier

All-Big Ten
Feb 1, 2006
I don't follow the NHL much until the playoffs, but the Bruins historic season has caught my attention. For those of you who know something about hockey, is this team that good-like Jordan/Pippen Bulls good? Or are they more like a Matt Painter/Boilers on Ice team that is feasting on a weak schedule, easy division, etc... and looking primed for a big bust in the playoffs? Curious

I don't follow the NHL, but I am a bit of a degenrate. Vegas has them as the odds on favorites to win it all. It looks like they opened the season at +1800 and are anywhere from +280 at Caesars to +375 at MGM right now.

Vegas knows everything, so I assume they're legit.

All it takes is one hot goalie and 2-3 fluke goals to beat them. For people that don't follow hockey closely, the baseball comparison would be if you can throw your ace starter for 9 full innings in the first game of a playoff series, then he pitches every game after that for 9 full innings without losing his effectiveness. Boston is far and away the best team in the league but there's a reason they say the Stanley Cup is the hardest championship trophy to win. There's no better live sport to watch than hockey, and playoff hockey is on another level.

All it takes is one hot goalie and 2-3 fluke goals to beat them. For people that don't follow hockey closely, the baseball comparison would be if you can throw your ace starter for 9 full innings in the first game of a playoff series, then he pitches every game after that for 9 full innings without losing his effectiveness. Boston is far and away the best team in the league but there's a reason they say the Stanley Cup is the hardest championship trophy to win. There's no better live sport to watch than hockey, and playoff hockey is on another level.
Playoff hockey is great-especially an OT game.

Bruins finish the regular season 65-12-5, setting the NHL record for wins and points. Aside from Boston, I'm interested in this Toronto-Tampa Bay first round series, which should have some good fights. These teams played earlier this week and it was very chippy.

Bruins looked like the Purdue Boiler Ice Cadets last night-outworked and out played by a lesser talented Florida team. Series tied 1-1. Panthers have home ice now.

So true re goalies

Love hockey. Played when I was a kid. The first season tickets I ever bought was LA Kings back in 86-87 season. Started watching when the islanders went on a run when bosse, trottier, and crew went on a run and won 4.

Last night my brother and I went out to eat sat at the bar and started talking to the people sitting beside us, husband and wife, older couple and he went to all the hawks games in the 70's. Then after they left a gentleman sitting next to them approached us and starts telling stories from back then. It was Al Karlander who played for the wings and the racers. Wow tremendous conversation and we took pictures with him.

Love hockey man. When we went to the forum we saw John candy, Rob Lowe, Charlie sheen and Michael Keaton all the time. Shot the crap with those guys like they were regular peeps. Great stuff.

Reactions: evvcabinetman
Man Mcdavid and Draisaitl jeeez those two are sick. Should be fun to watch but McDavid is so fast. No answer for him.

Bruins historic collapse potentially just a few hours away. Game 7 tonight vs. Florida-aka the FDU of pro hockey.

Panthers really looked like the better team all series and Boston was really hurt by mediocre goalkeeping. Its never good if you have to switch starting GK in game 7 of a series.

Shocking to me is that the NHL team with the best regular season record has not won the Stanley Cup very often-something like once in the past 10 or 11 years.

It's more like 30 years since the Presidents Trophy winner has hoisted the Cup. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving fan base Buck Foston!!

LGR

Reactions: Indianaftw
Panthers really looked like the better team all series and Boston was really hurt by mediocre goalkeeping. Its never good if you have to switch starting GK in game 7 of a series.

Shocking to me is that the NHL team with the best regular season record has not won the Stanley Cup very often-something like once in the past 10 or 11 years.
Usually an upset of this magnitude is a case of a goalie standing on his head for a whole series, but you're right - Florida played with them throughoutand you never got the feeling that Boston was a ready to flip a switch and dominate the series.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving fan base
I'm not a hockey fan at all, but it does seem shocking when clearly the best regular season team makes a first round exit. You could say.... in Peyton Manning style.

I prefer to think of it as similar to Belicheck without Tommy boy, on the rare occasion he's made the playoffs without him.

I prefer to think of it as similar to Belicheck without Tommy boy, on the rare occasion he's made the playoffs without him.
0.500 teams often lose quickly in the playoffs. That's a lot different than a gigantic gag by a regular seaon top team, like the Purdue Boilermakers or the Purdue Colts. er... ummm... Indy Colts, I guess

0.500 teams often lose quickly in the playoffs. That's a lot different than a gigantic gag by a regular seaon top team, like the Purdue Boilermakers or the Purdue Colts. er... ummm... Indy Colts, I guess
Yeah, .500 teams do lose quickly. But they rarely even make it in to begin with, as Bill knows all too well.

It's more like 30 years since the Presidents Trophy winner has hoisted the Cup. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving fan base Buck Foston!!

LGR
Chicago Blackhawks 2013.

That Seattle Mariners team that won an amazing 116 or so games in the regular season, then crashed and burned, should be in any choke discussion.

Though baseball is really odd in that everybody wins a third of the games, pretty much everybody loses a third of their games, and there is a colossal fight for the one-third left over, and that 1/3 can be driven totally by a couple of hot pitchers.

BoringAgonizingGalapagoshawk-max-1mb.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Indianaftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT