ADVERTISEMENT

What is the difference between Tom Crean and Matt Painter?

He said he's a brain doctor that graduated in the 70's. That would be roughly 1975, 48 years ago. Medical school is 4 years after undergrad, and residencies are like 3-7 years. If he was 26 in 1975, that would make him at least 74 years old. Even if he graduated in 1979, he would be at least 70 years old.
Wasn't Victor Frankenstein some kind of brain doctor too?

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Are you asking me out?
No troll.
And what does defines a troll in your sphere?
Anyone who doesn’t assent to you and the other legacy posters??

Your sycophants here are not going to be pleased with you and I having a conversation with actual.
intonation and all of the things you so joyfully avoid. Maybe estate work is what you prefer. Stay behind that rail.

You have not been called a name.
You have been assigned an appropriate
label.
Different.
Fraud.

Get it?
I graduated.
I’m curious what cow up there told you to take a hike back in the day? Another couch for another day.

Trying to work on the pathology but getting exhausted.
The
Fog
Rolls
In
On
Little
Cat’s
Feet

• Haha
No I am here to understand the apparently inexplicable.

Do you write briefs? Do you argue in a venue other than this conveniently insular one.

I doubt it.

I graduated in the 70’s. Medical. Like brain medical No troll.

So I know one when I hear one.

Be better.

No meds recommended at present. Maybe later.

Hey — good news—
We’re still playing ball this weekend and your apparent jilted lover is not.
For heavens sake have someone look at this cat’s historic post subject matter and try to find any lack of reference.

Stunning.
What the hell is a brain medical??

Wrong question. The question to ask is how are Painter and Crean alike?

The answer is that their teams played their best basketball at the beginning of the season and not in March.

Everybody is still chasing 1976, and those that do, can't. They get the beginning of the season OK, but lose the magic close to the end of the season.
I was answering the coaching section. Like…painter is better with less talent. Not how they’re records in the tournament. They really aren’t alike if you think about it.

Fact: nobody on this forum ever has admitted to being some slob-loser who works at Walmart.

This forum is crawling with lawyers, doctors, and captains of industry.
I’m none of those. If I could swing it I would be a greeter at the local Walmart. I’m just a plant mechanic/millwright. I don’t want the management hassle. No off hour phone calls in my house.

Last edited:
Tom Crean has more Final Fours than PU does since 1980: that includes Keady and Painter. I don't think PU can downplay any Final Four. Painter's Elite 8 is obviously an anomaly. Painter is way more likely to lose to a mid-major in the NCAAT than make it past the Sweet 16.

I wouldn't put Painter in the same sentence as Boeheim or Bennett: he has never reached those heights and never will. PU has never won a National Championship, Boeheim and Bennett have. Boeheim went to 5 Final Fours. If PU is going to do something at the national level and reach a Final Four, it will be with a different coach. Painter is what he is, and that includes being a bad NCAAT coach.
Crean’s Final 4 was a bigger anomaly (Dwayne Wade wore a cape). His 3 sweet 16’s all required multiple nba players to achieve, all 3 were double digit losses.

Bennett may be a closer comparison (also Bo Ryan), but still, it took Boeheim 27 years to win a title, and he needed a transcendent college player, Painter could potentially recruit a similar player and perhaps have the correct complimentary players to achieve similar results. Ivey may have been that type of player, but don’t think he was complimented by bigs like Edey/Williams, so sometimes it’s timing.

Clearly the current backcourt will need size and athleticism over the next few years to support the physical limitations of loyer/smith in certain matchups. Now as an Indiana fan I hope it doesn’t happen, but I do believe “past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results”, especially in something as fickle as college athletics.

Crean’s Final 4 was a bigger anomaly (Dwayne Wade wore a cape). His 3 sweet 16’s all required multiple nba players to achieve, all 3 were double digit losses.

Bennett may be a closer comparison (also Bo Ryan), but still, it took Boeheim 27 years to win a title, and he needed a transcendent college player, Painter could potentially recruit a similar player and perhaps have the correct complimentary players to achieve similar results. Ivey may have been that type of player, but don’t think he was complimented by bigs like Edey/Williams, so sometimes it’s timing.

Clearly the current backcourt will need size and athleticism over the next few years to support the physical limitations of loyer/smith in certain matchups. Now as an Indiana fan I hope it doesn’t happen, but I do believe “past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results”, especially in something as fickle as college athletics.
Boeheim was in a title game within his first 10 years: come on, man! He went to 5 final fours! Purdue has been to two final fours ever! Painter and Boeheim do not in any way, shape, or form belong in the same sentence.

Give it up: Painter is what he is. You have 20 years of evidence.

• Haha
Reactions: ufo33
He has two distinct advantages over Crean, though. He knows how to keep his roster stocked so he doesn’t have down years, but that’s partly because Painter rarely recruits kids who will leave early and Crean could get the 5 star kids. Also, Painter can make it to the BTT title game and win it occasionally.

Painter is a very good B1G coach and if Purdue is happy winning occasional B1G championships and BTT titles, then they should keep him. But the fans and players will always want more. It’s funny how those B1G titles are diminished greatly when your team can’t do anything in the NCAA tournament. It’s like an Olympian who can win the US trials, but can never medal in the Olympics against the best. When it’s over for them nobody cares that they were US champions and they become forgettable. Nobody is going to remember or care that Purdue won the B1G this year except Purdue fans. And even for many of them those B1G accolades will seem hollow with these kind of endings.
Yep. B1G championship just doesn’t mean as much as it used to. To win it, you have to play bully ball all year. If that is your identity, hard to change that for the tourney. So until the B1G changes, who gives AF if you win the conference or not? Just be top 3-4 and build a team with athleticism and shooting that can make tourney runs.

• Haha
Reactions: ufo33
Tom Crean made a Final Four and got IU ranked #1 and IU still fired him. PU keeps Keady & Painter for 40 years with no Final Fours in their entire career and no National Titles. PU has lower expectations, Painter is coach for life at PU. Same story, different year, different decade.

Not sure bragging on the innerwebs about hooking up a couple of crude, homemade, electrodes to your little micropenis counts Jimmy
There's our special sack of shit troll! There he is! You actually showed your face, I can't believe it! That's kind of a disturbing fantasy about me, and you certainly are obsessed with my dick and balls, you freak! Internet trolls tend to be overcompensating for something, and I certainly have my theories about you, you little man, you! You are such a sex offender and should be buried underneath a prison.

FDU! FDU! FDU! How can you show your face anywhere? PUke is an absolute, national joke! The FDU loss is the worst loss in the history of the NCAAT, maybe the history of sports! Hahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahaha! You suck, and PUke sucks! PU sucks! PU sucks!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

• Love
Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
There's our special sack of shit troll! There he is! You actually showed your face, I can't believe it! That's kind of a disturbing fantasy about me, and you certainly are obsessed with my dick and balls, you freak! Internet trolls tend to be overcompensating for something, and I certainly have my theories about you, you little man, you! You are such a sex offender and should be buried underneath a prison.

FDU! FDU! FDU! How can you show your face anywhere? PUke is an absolute, national joke! The FDU loss is the worst loss in the history of the NCAAT, maybe the history of sports! Hahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahaha! You suck, and PUke sucks! PU sucks! PU sucks!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Came back just for you Jimmy. Knew it'd make your day, week, month and year "big" boy

xoxo

• Haha
Came back just for you Jimmy. Knew it'd make your day, week, month and year "big" boy

xoxo
FDU! FDU! FDU! That was the worst loss in the history of sports, lol. It isn't possible to live that bed shitting down! PU and you suck so hard! You are such a loser! Mid-majors own PUke, lol! PUke made a 15 seed famous last year, and they lost to a 16 seed as a 1 seed this year! Fairleigh f'ing Dickinson!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

PUke sucks! You actually showed your face! God, you are pathetic! You can't stop trolling, even after that bed shitting! You have absolutely no life!

Reactions: IUgradman
The difference is not flattering for Painter. Tom Crean went to a Final Four and recruited better, so there was at least some hope. However, at a certain point in time, you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is. I would say Crean's ability as a coach and ceiling were pretty clear after year 5. He had inconsistent good years and could make it to the Sweet 16: maybe, an anomaly occurs at some point. Once you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is, you either have to accept it or not accept it. Obviously, IU didn't accept it and canned him.

Matt has been at PU for 18 years, going on 19. It is crystal clear what Matt Painter is at this point in time as a coach and has been for years. He is flat out a bad NCAA Tournament coach, and his system does not work in the NCAA Tournament. His performance the past 3 years is arguably the worst in NCAAT history, and he routinely loses to mid-majors. Losing to FDU yesterday is the worst loss in NCAAT history. His system simply has a ceiling. Obviously, PU is ok with having a terrible NCAA Tournament coach. Sure, Matt can get some Indiana kids, really tall guys, and shooters and compete through the Big Ten season for the most part.

The question I have is why do they accept this? How can you keep Matt Painter after yesterday? I understand IU is historically a better program. But, look at Northwestern and Penn St. They are historically bad, and their fortunes are night and day different with their current coaches. Look at North Texas, St. Peter's, and now FDU: they don't have any advantages over PU and are beating them when it matters. The chicken or the egg argument doesn't really apply when you are a 1 seed losing to a 16 seed: it is the coach, not the program. PU fans really believe that they don't have an identity outside of Gene Keady, and they just accept it and set the bar low.

PU fans: you aren't going to see anything different from Painter, I promise. As somebody who suffered through Tom Crean, I know it all to well. I want to beat PU's ass at everything, and I will still say this: you can either accept the status quo or ask the universe for something better. Northwestern and Penn St. have asked the universe for something better: why can't you?
Painter had more sustained success year in and out in the big ten. Thatts about it

FDU! FDU! FDU! That was the worst loss in the history of sports, lol. It isn't possible to live that bed shitting down! PU and you suck so hard! You are such a loser! Mid-majors own PUke, lol! PUke made a 15 seed famous last year, and they lost to a 16 seed as a 1 seed this year! Fairleigh f'ing Dickinson!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

PUke sucks! You actually showed your face! God, you are pathetic! You can't stop trolling, even after that bed shitting! You have absolutely no life!

Wow, look at you go. Congrats Jimmy, you are wonderful and live such a fulfilling life

Painter’s Floor is much higher than Crean’s. Painter has an Elite 8 (1 point loss, to the eventual champion) and Crean has a Final 4 (which if I recall correctly they were drilled by 30). I call the ceiling a wash, especially given the consistency during conference season and conference tournament thrown in.

Painter feels like a Boeheim, Tony Bennet, etc that will need a “magical” year to get his Final 4 or Title. He likely needs to tweak his recruiting to mix in a few players that can be the 1:1 player to bailout at the end of the shot clock, but also accept the team concept when not required (Ivey was hit/miss with his buy-in). He also likely needs to modify his “big” recruiting to include more mobile, defense first atheletes, where he develops their offensive skill over time, but doesn’t need to sacrifice on defense. Those changes seem to be within the realm of possibility going forward. Crean would never deviate from his approach (see Georgia) which was proven to have plenty of flaws in it.

I’m happy Woody is IU’s coach as I believe he has an identity (Painter has a clear but different identity) for his teams (defense first), but also recognizes the need for individual exceptionalism (especially at the guard position - jhs, which was Crean’s exclusive focus) in order to be successful in the NCAA. In essence, demonstrating the best attributes of the other two coaches. Let’s hope it translates into tangible NCAA success.
Painter really should have made the final four when they lost to virginia. That was his best chance yet. His current team is solid but i dont see him getting to a final four with them. No star power and i assume edey is gone

The difference is not flattering for Painter. Tom Crean went to a Final Four and recruited better, so there was at least some hope. However, at a certain point in time, you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is. I would say Crean's ability as a coach and ceiling were pretty clear after year 5. He had inconsistent good years and could make it to the Sweet 16: maybe, an anomaly occurs at some point. Once you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is, you either have to accept it or not accept it. Obviously, IU didn't accept it and canned him.

Matt has been at PU for 18 years, going on 19. It is crystal clear what Matt Painter is at this point in time as a coach and has been for years. He is flat out a bad NCAA Tournament coach, and his system does not work in the NCAA Tournament. His performance the past 3 years is arguably the worst in NCAAT history, and he routinely loses to mid-majors. Losing to FDU yesterday is the worst loss in NCAAT history. His system simply has a ceiling. Obviously, PU is ok with having a terrible NCAA Tournament coach. Sure, Matt can get some Indiana kids, really tall guys, and shooters and compete through the Big Ten season for the most part.

The question I have is why do they accept this? How can you keep Matt Painter after yesterday? I understand IU is historically a better program. But, look at Northwestern and Penn St. They are historically bad, and their fortunes are night and day different with their current coaches. Look at North Texas, St. Peter's, and now FDU: they don't have any advantages over PU and are beating them when it matters. The chicken or the egg argument doesn't really apply when you are a 1 seed losing to a 16 seed: it is the coach, not the program. PU fans really believe that they don't have an identity outside of Gene Keady, and they just accept it and set the bar low.

PU fans: you aren't going to see anything different from Painter, I promise. As somebody who suffered through Tom Crean, I know it all to well. I want to beat PU's ass at everything, and I will still say this: you can either accept the status quo or ask the universe for something better. Northwestern and Penn St. have asked the universe for something better: why can't you?
Short answer: consistency. Purdue would be crazy to fire Painter.

Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Says the internet troll. I have complete and total contempt for assholes like you: drop dead. You are the scum of the earth. PUke sucks!

Dude, you take some of this stuff way, way too seriously. Some of your rage posting, screaming in all caps, swearing like a middle schooler, just your rage in general, wishing death, etc, many posts of which had nothing to do with "Purdue trolls" or any of that crap. You just seem pretty unhinged man; unbalanced.

Couldn't care less whatever insult or regurgitated name you sling my way. Hope you get help or some perspective soon Jim

• Haha
Dude, you take some of this stuff way, way too seriously. Some of your rage posting, screaming in all caps, swearing like a middle schooler, just your rage in general, wishing death, etc, many posts of which had nothing to do with "Purdue trolls" or any of that crap. You just seem pretty unhinged man; unbalanced.

Couldn't care less whatever insult or regurgitated name you sling my way. Hope you get help or some perspective soon Jim
You back because your trailer finally rolled into the river?

Says the internet troll. F*** off. You are seriously the most screwed up psycho I've ever encountered. You spend a giant chunk of your life trolling: get a f***ing life. Get some help yourself. You hide behind internet anonymity. I'd knock your teeth out if you talked to me this way in real life, internet pussy. You harass and pick fights with people: sign of major issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT