ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of smoke about a Thanksgiving week start date

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Saw the twitter responses to the guy who first tweeted about it.

Thanksgiving week start is an option being discussed, as reported by 3 different media types. Gene Smith is among those pushing it.

Everyone is careful to say it may still be January.

I'd like to be hearing the discussions...............

Thanksgiving week start is an option being discussed, as reported by 3 different media types. Gene Smith is among those pushing it.

Would be kind of weird to be playing regular season games while the rest of the P5 (minus the Pac-12) is gearing up for the CFP. Of course, that's assuming the rest of the P5 gets in anything close to a full schedule. And assuming there is a post-season. And assuming the country isn't being ravaged by both Covid and the flu in late fall/early winter. And assuming . . . etc.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-could-start-thanksgiving-weekend/5654578002/

If they go ahead with football in November, they should integrate slowly. They can use football as a trial run and should cancel basketball for the 20/21 season. Basketball is played in what amounts to a giant petri dish, So they can show they are serious about protecting people by stepping up and canceling it. They can reintroduce basketball in fall of 2021 if everything goes okay with football. I think it’s a good show of faith if Warren goes ahead and just cancels the Big Ten basketball season right now. He’s stated that the health and safety of the student-athletes is the top concern, so no need to put them in indoor, germ-infested humid environments. That would be socially irresponsible.

If they go ahead with football in November, they should integrate slowly. They can use football as a trial run and should cancel basketball for the 20/21 season. Basketball is played in what amounts to a giant petri dish, So they can show they are serious about protecting people by stepping up and canceling it. They can reintroduce basketball in fall of 2021 if everything goes okay with football. I think it’s a good show of faith if Warren goes ahead and just cancels the Big Ten basketball season right now. He’s stated that the health and safety of the student-athletes is the top concern, so no need to put them in indoor, germ-infested humid environments. That would be socially irresponsible.
Serious question: How is basketball any more hazardous than football? If you play without fans in the arena, what makes it a greater risk ? I've played both, I've coached both and I don't see any difference in the level of up-close-and-personal physical contact. Neither is safe if there is something contagious in the environment.

Reactions: Al Bino
Blindly-Throwing-Darts.jpg

image from the conference meeting on when would be the best time to start the season, if they do.

Serious question: How is basketball any more hazardous than football? If you play without fans in the arena, what makes it a greater risk ? I've played both, I've coached both and I don't see any difference in the level of up-close-and-personal physical contact. Neither is safe if there is something contagious in the environment.
Virus infection seems to be much more prevalent indoors than outdoors but I agree if players are tested and not infected there is little chance with no fans in attendance.

Reactions: red hornet
And what do you base this statement on?

SCIENCE
“Winter's cold, dry air makes such viruses a triple threat, Iwasaki said: When cold outdoor air with little moisture is heated indoors, the air's relative humidity drops to about 20%. This comparitively moisture-free air provides a clear path for airborne viral particles of viruses such as COVID-19..

Warm, dry air also dampens the ability of cilia, the hair-like projections on cells lining airways, to expel viral particles. And lastly, the immune system's ability to respond to pathogens is suppressed in drier environments, Iwasaki has found.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200330152128.htm

SCIENCE
“Winter's cold, dry air makes such viruses a triple threat, Iwasaki said: When cold outdoor air with little moisture is heated indoors, the air's relative humidity drops to about 20%. This comparitively moisture-free air provides a clear path for airborne viral particles of viruses such as COVID-19..

Warm, dry air also dampens the ability of cilia, the hair-like projections on cells lining airways, to expel viral particles. And lastly, the immune system's ability to respond to pathogens is suppressed in drier environments, Iwasaki has found.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200330152128.htm

They won't cancel basketball season. They may not allow fans but the season will happen.

Saw this concerning quote in an AP story by college football writer Ralph Russo dated 8/28, about the discussions of potentially starting games TG weekend:

"Big Ten will play only if certain benchmarks related to the Coronavirus-such as transmission rates, testing capacity and availability, and testing capacity are met in each of the 11 states that are home to the league's 14 schools".

I haven't seen this language in any official BT statement.....however, Russo said he was quoting a BT spokesman.

I wonder if there are certain specific secret benchmarks that they are using, or it this is simply bs.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Lots of smoke about an October 10th start. Apparently there is going to be a new vote today at some point.

Nebraska's president said there will be no re-vote today. It's becoming extremely unlikely that conference football will start in October and I think a Thanksgiving week start is also doubtful. Look for a season that begins in early January, aligns with a Pac-12 schedule, and culminates with a Rose Bowl in early spring.

The Rose Bowl is a playoff game this year. There definitely won’t be a spring season or a Rose Bowl.

I don’t like anything about a spring season. It wouldn't feel legit. Ohio State would probably have 20 guys opt out for the draft. Heck, even we would have a few. For me it’s either Fall or nothing.
I'll take it whenever it might happen. Obviously I would love to see a fall season, but football filling that gap in April/May after basketball and before baseball really gets going has pretty strong appeal for me. I would rather have football in the spring and be able to attend games than a fall season with no fans in attendance. I think I could really get into spring Saturdays with an IU baseball game followed by tailgating with a Big Ten football game at night.

I'll take it whenever it might happen. Obviously I would love to see a fall season, but football filling that gap in April/May after basketball and before baseball really gets going has pretty strong appeal for me. I would rather have football in the spring and be able to attend games than a fall season with no fans in attendance. I think I could really get into spring Saturdays with an IU baseball game followed by tailgating with a Big Ten football game at night.
Larry Scott (Pac-12 commish) said today he's been in contact with the Big Ten and would like the Pac-12 football season, whenever it happens, to align with ours. He's also contracted with a company that will deliver daily rapid-result testing for Pac-12 players, and the CEO of the company indicated that it could be made available to other conferences as well.

Rather than April/May, it seems the more likely scenario is a season starting right after the holidays. The idea is to create some separation between this season and next which will presumably start in Fall 2021. To me, a January start makes more sense than November when our first games would be competing with rivalry games and other critical late season matchups and championship games in the other conferences. Winter college football, on the other hand, would likely just involve the Big Ten and Pac-12, with the season culminating in a traditional Rose Bowl game featuring the two conference champs.

Of course this isn't as optimal as a season that would have, under normal circumstances, started tonight, but it's the Covid era and everyone has to be nimble and flexible.

Larry Scott (Pac-12 commish) said today he's been in contact with the Big Ten and would like the Pac-12 football season, whenever it happens, to align with ours. He's also contracted with a company that will deliver daily rapid-result testing for Pac-12 players, and the CEO of the company indicated that it could be made available to other conferences as well.

Rather than April/May, it seems the more likely scenario is a season starting right after the holidays. The idea is to create some separation between this season and next which will presumably start in Fall 2021. To me, a January start makes more sense than November when our first games would be competing with rivalry games and other critical late season matchups and championship games in the other conferences. Winter college football, on the other hand, would likely just involve the Big Ten and Pac-12, with the season culminating in a traditional Rose Bowl game featuring the two conference champs.

Of course this isn't as optimal as a season that would have, under normal circumstances, started tonight, but it's the Covid era and everyone has to be nimble and flexible.
It very well could happen the way you describe and I understand the reasoning. I would hate to see it though because it for sure means no fans in attendance. Midwest football in Jan - March means games indoors, which means no fans (barring a proven-effective vaccine that has been widely distributed, something highly unlikely by that time). I'll watch televised B1G football, regardless of when it is played, but I would a hell of a lot rather be there in person. Even if that means waiting until spring.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Blasphemy

Blasphemy
Nah....basketball is played inside what amounts to an overheated, germ-infested science lab.
Play it outside in the parking lot and we might get it done.
No need to put thousands at risk to watch a season. They can shelve it until 2021 fall. By that time, everything is settled down. It might also give them another year to learn to shoot a basketball.

Nah....basketball is played inside what amounts to an overheated, germ-infested science lab.
Play it outside in the parking lot and we might get it done.
No need to put thousands at risk to watch a season. They can shelve it until 2021 fall. By that time, everything is settled down. It might also give them another year to learn to shoot a basketball.
NBA don't seem to be having an issue. Hockey as well.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
Players are playing with full face shields to not spread the virus if they have it although they are testing each person twice a week so I doubt they will have the virus despite what the B1G presidents think. I am disgusted with them for cancelling the season without talking to the coaches and players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT