ADVERTISEMENT

Losing my mind wondering who it

ncthomas31

Benchwarmer
Nov 7, 2008
tenor.gif

Sums up how I have felt over the last 3 days. I think I may just have to go off the grid until I hear from someone else who it is.

Anyone monitoring Boston sports talk this morning? I'm sure it would make for interesting listening. They're not going to be happy with the chatter and a loss to Cleveland last night. Dropped them down to a tie for 6th, a half game ahead of 8th. We need the Knicks, Hawks and Hornets to keep it up and the Pacers, Bulls or Raptors to make a playoff push.

Reactions: It Will Do
Sounds like it's Stevens but until announced I'm assuming the worst like 🐝 line. I'm just never getting worked up again after the Donovan hoax.

Reactions: kkott
Anyone monitoring Boston sports talk this morning? I'm sure it would make for interesting listening. They're not going to be happy with the chatter and a loss to Cleveland last night. Dropped them down to a tie for 6th, a half game ahead of 8th. We need the Knicks, Hawks and Hornets to keep it up and the Pacers, Bulls or Raptors to make a playoff push.
Celtics fans on Twitter are actively pushing for Stevens to take the IU job after Boston lost to an awful Cleveland team last night.

Celtics fans on Twitter are actively pushing for Stevens to take the IU job after Boston lost to an awful Cleveland team last night.
The dreaded road, back end of a twofer. But what will really set them off is the gossip that he met with IU yesterday, which I question, unless they met in Cleveland. With all the chatter, him disappearing for 4 hours is gonna get noticed. IMO, if he's coming, he'll be stepping down by this weekend and making an announcement. It would be a circus for him to try and finish the season and then he'll get roasted if they miss the playoffs for the distraction. If it's BS, I think we'll know in the next 72 hours.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Was checking Twitter on Tuesday night afrer thw Celtics lost and there were TONS of tweets calling for Brad to be fired, but it kind died down after yesterday's loss.

The dreaded road, back end of a twofer. But what will really set them off is the gossip that he met with IU yesterday, which I question, unless they met in Cleveland. With all the chatter, him disappearing for 4 hours is gonna get noticed. IMO, if he's coming, he'll be stepping down by this weekend and making an announcement. It would be a circus for him to try and finish the season and then he'll get roasted if they miss the playoffs for the distraction. If it's BS, I think we'll know in the next 72 hours.
Celtics' next two games are in Boston tomorrow night and Sunday afternoon. If Ainge is going to cut ties with Stevens, this weekend would be the time to do it. Celtics play in Memphis on Monday night on the second leg of a back-to-back, so you'd almost think an announcement would need to come Friday afternoon or Saturday afternoon.

Dan Patrick started his show a minute ago talking about the IU coaching search. Said his sources are thinking Beard and Tony Bennett. Also mentioned Stevens is being mentioned and then said "Stevens has come out saying he's not leaving". I just don't understand media (especially him) putting stock into what a coach says to the beat writers of their current team when asked about an opening somewhere else. THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING!...until they are named the coach somewhere else.

agree...no way it would get confirmed that he's leaving but stay to coach out the season. Lame ducks have no place in coaching, let alone coaching the trillonaire primos in the NBA. But what is strange..and yes this probably falls under conspiracy/tin foil hat stuff....the Stevens camp, and the Celts, have to know that all this speculation is going on, from B-town to Beantown. All they have to do is step up to the mic, and make a quick 30 sec psa, killing it for good. If that doesn't happen today, on the Celts off day, then it has to be real, because continued speculation without rebuttal will do nothing but damage to the Celts team and remainder of the season.

agree...no way it would get confirmed that he's leaving but stay to coach out the season. Lame ducks have no place in coaching, let alone coaching the trillonaire primos in the NBA. But what is strange..and yes this probably falls under conspiracy/tin foil hat stuff....the Stevens camp, and the Celts, have to know that all this speculation is going on, from B-town to Beantown. All they have to do is step up to the mic, and make a quick 30 sec psa, killing it for good. If that doesn't happen today, on the Celts off day, then it has to be real, because continued speculation without rebuttal will do nothing but damage to the Celts team and remainder of the season.

Wouldn't matter. Stevens and his team could say anything, but many IU fans will continue to believe what they will. No "quick trip to the mic" will change that.

There's a good chance that Stevens has no idea about any of this and is focused on the job he does have...

Candle light vigils at Zionsville HS and the circle might help.

Also a moment of silence before each NCAA game asking for Brad to come home.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Wouldn't matter. Stevens and his team could say anything, but many IU fans will continue to believe what they will. No "quick trip to the mic" will change that.

There's a good chance that Stevens has no idea about any of this and is focused on the job he does have...
The outreach on this would be quick, and the Stevens family would be able to consider and decide what they wanted to do at about the same pace. Obviously, leaving Boston would require some administrative effort, and that would take some time to sort out. But BS could say “no” a hundred times and some IU fans will continue to hear “yes”.

Dan Patrick started his show a minute ago talking about the IU coaching search. Said his sources are thinking Beard and Tony Bennett. Also mentioned Stevens is being mentioned and then said "Stevens has come out saying he's not leaving". I just don't understand media (especially him) putting stock into what a coach says to the beat writers of their current team when asked about an opening somewhere else. THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING!...until they are named the coach somewhere else.
To be fair Beard or Tony Bennett would both be exceptional hires.

I would take either one right now.

He has one of the most talented teams in the East and just lost again last night falling to .500 with almost half the season played.

I doubt they fire him but his tenure in Boston has never been this shaky. If IU is ever going to have a chance to land him right now is the time. They need to pull all the stops on this one.

The outreach on this would be quick, and the Stevens family would be able to consider and decide what they wanted to do at about the same pace. Obviously, leaving Boston would require some administrative effort, and that would take some time to sort out. But BS could say “no” a hundred times and some IU fans will continue to hear “yes”.

He did consider it. He said no. He said he's staying in Boston. He said it publicly. He coached 2 nights ago.

What is it about today's America when what is obvious and visible and logical and likely is always ignored?

tenor.gif

Sums up how I have felt over the last 3 days. I think I may just have to go off the grid until I hear from someone else who it is.

My gut tells me...we're approaching like this:
1. Stevens
2. Beard
2. Beilein + Hoosier-affiliated associate HC or HC in waiting: Fife, Lewis, Calbert
3. Woodson + Hoosier-affilliated associate
4. Musselman

Just a gut feeling...

He has one of the most talented teams in the East and just lost again last night falling to .500 with almost half the season played.

I doubt they fire him but his tenure in Boston has never been this shaky. If IU is ever going to have a chance to land him right now is the time. They need to pull all the stops on this one.

Stevens is a very smart guy. He knows he has one of the top 5 jobs in all of pro sports.

I love IU. But when I take off my IU glasses, it is clear what a disastrous decision it would be for him to QUIT the Boston Celtics to come coach at a college team that hasn't truly been relevant in 20-30 years.

And BOS is not firing Brad Stevens this week.

He's my top choice too. This all just seems like rabbit hole digging to me.

One thing that stuck out to me about the Stevens press conference the other day is that he could have said something along the lines of, "I wish the next coach at IU nothing but the best and hope to see him win." That would have really put the whole thing to bed.

He did consider it. He said no. He said he's staying in Boston. He said it publicly. He coached 2 nights ago.

What is it about today's America when what is obvious and visible and logical and likely is always ignored?
If only there were a few examples of coaches announcing their commitment to a team, only to leave right after.

The question was is he "quitting" Boston to go to Indiana. This was right after his glowing rant about how much he loved Indiana and grew up a fan. Even then, it was a postgame press conference in the middle of the NBA season. What did you expect him to say?

The fact is nobody really knows at this point. The people that start with the "realism" and "pipe dream" bs are just as bad as the people refusing to believe it's anyone else.

The truth is that nobody other than the few making the deal will have any idea until IU makes their announcement.

Agree completely. What else can he say that he hasn’t said?

Reactions: TGB13
One worry I have, there is so much hope/predictions/etc for Stevens, that if it is someone else we will all be disappointed. Even if it is someone good, he will not be Stevens.
This is exactly whats going to happen.

I'm really surprised everyone has sold-out on Brad Stevens and turned their back to all other possibilities.. Stevens was never coming to IU.. Delusional..

Stevens is a very smart guy. He knows he has one of the top 5 jobs in all of pro sports.

I love IU. But when I take off my IU glasses, it is clear what a disastrous decision it would be for him to QUIT the Boston Celtics to come coach at a college team that hasn't truly been relevant in 20-30 years.

Getting close to the point where leaving Boston may not be a choice for Stevens. Fan base is rapidly turning on both Stevens and Ainge, especially the latter, and a change at GM may prompt a new HC. Kemba Walker is firmly on the trading block, and dumping an all-league PG in the middle of playoff race singles a potential blow up. There’s been rumblings in the locker room for sometime dating all the way back to Kyrie Irving being railroaded and BS preferential treatment of college wonder boy Gordon Hayward. Also plausible that Marcus Smart is dealt as well.

Comparing an NBA job to a college job is apples and oranges, they aren't even comparable.
The NBA is a players league, the coach gets none of the credit and all of the blame.

Also Brad's only making 3.5 million a year, IU can match that and then some. I'm not saying I think it's going to be Stevens, it's just not as out of the question as many are making it out to be.

Reactions: smitty3725
I’ve been saying the same thing. That if there is no definitive BS rejection of the IU job today - then this is real.
BTW, Beard stated yesterday that “he doesn’t talk about jobs”, which means he is interested.

Reactions: IUAPEX
If only there were a few examples of coaches announcing their commitment to a team, only to leave right after.

The question was is he "quitting" Boston to go to Indiana. This was right after his glowing rant about how much he loved Indiana and grew up a fan. Even then, it was a postgame press conference in the middle of the NBA season. What did you expect him to say?

The fact is nobody really knows at this point. The people that start with the "realism" and "pipe dream" bs are just as bad as the people refusing to believe it's anyone else.

The truth is that nobody other than the few making the deal will have any idea until IU makes their announcement.
I wasn't sure on the timing, but I thought the radio interview where he said he wasn't quitting, was Tuesday afternoon and the "Indiana means a lot to me" PC was that evening maybe before the Utah game?

It could be Stevens. All his words and actions say otherwise, though. I don't liken him to a Nick Saban leaving the sucky Dolphins for Bama.

Has a coach ever quit the Celtics?

Coach speak? He’s currently under contract with the Celtics. I’m sure there’s certain language in his contract that prohibits HIM from directly commenting or negotiating with another team or franchise while employed.

Also he didn’t say “no” to the Indiana job, at least publicly, he said he’s the Boston Celtics head coach. Coach speak.

Getting close to the point where leaving Boston may not be a choice for Stevens. Fan base is rapidly turning on both Stevens and Ainge, especially the latter, and a change at GM may prompt a new HC. Kemba Walker is firmly on the trading block, and dumping an all-league PG in the middle of playoff race singles a potential blow up. There’s been rumblings in the locker room for sometime dating all the way back to Kyrie Irving being railroaded and BS preferential treatment of college wonder boy Gordon Hayward. Also plausible that Marcus Smart is dealt as well.
Exactly. I think it's curtains in Boston, certainly if he doesn't make the playoffs, and also if they don't at least make the EC finals again. I don't think that's a great fully complete roster and they've largely overachieved with developing some of those guys, but the general Boston sentiment is they need to do better, aka NBA Finals. I think Boston fans are butt hurt over the Patriots, and so their focus and expectations for the Celtics are amped up a notch.

It could be Stevens. All his words and actions say otherwise, though. I don't liken him to a Nick Saban leaving the sucky Dolphins for Bama.

Has a coach ever quit the Celtics?
There's way more examples than Saban. Also, the Alabama program Saban took over was not so different from IU right now. They spent years hiring/firing trying to find their coach. The main difference is that IU has held onto a few of their coaches too long.

Bottom line, IU is a sleeping giant with a ton if history, a few shit hires doesn't change that. It's the main reason we have trolls in threads like this calling us delusional for even talking about Stevens. They don't even want him to be a possibility. Not one opposing fanbase out there that wants to see Brad Stevens at Indiana, I can promise you so it's best to just let it all play out before you start writng people off.

• Haha
Reactions: Riveting
Coach speak? He’s currently under contract with the Celtics. I’m sure there’s certain language in his contract that prohibits HIM from directly commenting or negotiating with another team or franchise while employed.

Also he didn’t say “no” to the Indiana job, at least publicly, he said he’s the Boston Celtics head coach. Coach speak.

Sure, but This is all getting a little too Qanon for me....

I just want somebody to tell me the last coach to quit the Boston Celtics.

Semantics. The whole thing has already been put to bed.
As John Rambo said in First Blood, "Nothing is over!"

In all seriousness, I won't believe Stevens to IU is truly impossible until a different coach is hired by IU or the Celtics sign him to an extension (which isn't happening).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT