ADVERTISEMENT

Losing my mind wondering who it

Not sure about that. Isn’t he the one that said Bennett was on the list too?
Why would Bennett leave UVA for IU? If he’s going to leave, wouldn’t he wait until the UW job opened up? He would covet that more than IU, one would think.

He already said he wasn’t coming.

If you compare his statement over his career while at Butler and then with the C's (he was the #1 choice of many openings while at Butler. Illinois tried to get him but ended up with Grose) there was always a very strong 'no, not a chance' tone.

When we hired Archie he quickly came out with a very strong no.

This time he waxes poetically about what Indiana meant to him and every high school kid, blah blah blah.

It was definitely the first time I have ever heard that kind of tone towards IU. It wasn't a strong no at all.

Even Dakich, who's first, second and third choice is Alford, said four years ago there's absolutely no interest but today, the way things are playing out at both places, I wouldn't be so sure it's not strongly considered by him.

So its still a long shot but as a poster who thinks IU fans have no idea what success is and have settled for mediocrity, it's surprising to me that you want to settle.

Of course we have no idea who your favorite is because you won't say. I can only assume it's out of some fear that you'll be called out on the board.

Besides, you've been through this many times. You know an active coach would never, ever, ever say they are interested for another job publicly. Hell you wouldn't do that if you were working at taco bell much less being the leader of a billion dollar entity.

That would be career suicide.

Probably not after we fired his sister.
That was 16 years ago and I’d say the people involved in that are all long gone. I’m not saying Bennett is coming but if that’s the reason he wouldn’t come, that’s one hell of a grudge.

Reactions: Jssanto
If you compare his statement over his career while at Butler and then with the C's (he was the #1 choice of many openings while at Butler. Illinois tried to get him but ended up with Grose) there was always a very strong 'no, not a chance' tone.

When we hired Archie he quickly came out with a very strong no.

This time he waxes poetically about what Indiana meant to him and every high school kid, blah blah blah.

It was definitely the first time I have ever heard that kind of tone towards IU. It wasn't a strong no at all.

Even Dakich, who's first, second and third choice is Alford, said four years ago there's absolutely no interest but today, the way things are playing out at both places, I wouldn't be so sure it's not strongly considered by him.

So its still a long shot but as a poster who thinks IU fans have no idea what success is and have settled for mediocrity, it's surprising to me that you want to settle.

Of course we have no idea who your favorite is because you won't say. I can only assume it's out of some fear that you'll be called out on the board.

Besides, you've been through this many times. You know an active coach would never, ever, ever say they are interested for another job publicly. Hell you wouldn't do that if you were working at taco bell much less being the leader of a billion dollar entity.

That would be career suicide.
I’m not settling for mediocrity like you and most others have, I’m simply saying he came out and said no. He didn’t have to do that, but he did. Could he change his mind? Of course. Might he have been lying? It’s possible, though he’s never struck me as dishonest. I just know what he said, so I’ll rely on facts until he says something different.

I’m not settling for mediocrity like you and most others have, I’m simply saying he came out and said no. He didn’t have to do that, but he did. Could he change his mind? Of course. Might he have been lying? It’s possible, though he’s never struck me as dishonest. I just know what he said, so I’ll rely on facts until he says something different.
So how might he have answered if he were considering taking the job?

so you're trusting him on the "Stevens not coming" tidbit but not that TB might be a candidate?

TB was my first choice when we hired Archie. My reasoning being that at UVA he was always going to have to contend with UNC and Duke, and it would be very hard to overtake them and their dominant position, whereas at iU he could build that dominant program. But, at this point, he's pretty well equalled or overtaken Duke and UNC and is now faced with the opportunity that both will likely be replacing their legendary coaches in the next few years, so his outlook has changed immensely. Unless he's way underpaid or unhappy with his situation, I see no reason why he'd consider us. But for those same reasons about being the lesser school to the bigger fish in his conference is exactly who Beard or Musselman might be interested in IU. And I'm just kicking tires here, but my first hope now is obviously Brad Stevens.

Bennett has apparently turned IU the last 2 coaches searches. The first time, IU was a complete mess, and the second time, he was on the verge of winning a national title and going 66-6 over the next 2 years. He has a nice thing going now, but the stars might be more aligned for him to listen now

So how might he have answered if he were considering taking the job?
“Everybody knows I grew up in Indiana and that I was raised on IU basketball, but I’ve got a great job here in Boston that has my full attention. With all of their tradition and fan support, I’m sure they’ll find the right guy, but I’m happy with this job and look forward to being here for many years to come.”

Truthful in every way.

This is what will happen. IU can't keep waiting and keep being stiff armed by Stevens. So they move to Beard. He accepts. Which is fine. could be awesome! At the end of the NBA season the Celtics fire Stevens. Then Coach K retires from Duke. Then Stevens becomes the head coach at Duke. Then I take up H.

Last edited:
This is what will happen. IU can't waiting and keep being stiff armed by Stevens. So they move to Beard. He accepts. Which is fine. could be awesome! At the end of the NBA season the Celtics fire Stevens. Then Coach K retires from Duke. Then Stevens becomes the head coach at Duke. Then I take up H.
I don’t envy whoever replaces Coach K.

“Everybody knows I grew up in Indiana and that I was raised on IU basketball, but I’ve got a great job here in Boston that has my full attention. With all of their tradition and fan support, I’m sure they’ll find the right guy, but I’m happy with this job and look forward to being here for many years to come.”

Truthful in every way.
Umm, that’s more of a denial than he did give.🤔

Reactions: IUbball_lifer

Again, there's a difference between what he did before, which was emphatically say no and what he did in that interview when pressed.

As said below, your statement was more of a denial that what he gave.

We all know he's not coming out publicly and saying 'I am interested'. That's beyond dumb for him to do.

So all we have is nuance.

So who is your guy since you would move on from Stevens after that interview.

I don't think it's some far fetched idea for Stevens to walk away from the Celtics. Now, if he had a legitimate title-contending team, it would be a different story. However, it's beyond clear there are internal issues with this Celtics team along with the fact that Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Miami and Philadelphia are more legitimate title contenders out of the east.
Maybe. Rick Pitino walked away after getting his ass handed to him in the 00-01 season and was losing 2/3rds of his games after making comments kinda shitting on the Celtics fans.

I think the internal issues in Boston are as deep as the front court stinks. There is no amount of coaching magic that makes the PF/C issues go away. In any case, I can't see Ainge letting this bleed. Brad will shit or get off the pot. Most don't walk away from the NBA. Maybe he isn't most.

Yeah, the psychology of this is maddening.

On the one hand, I don’t want to believe this is happening and then get disappointed. Again.

On the other hand, Stevens was a lot more emphatic last time about his no. Why not be that way this time if he wasn’t seriously considering it?

I’m on board with theory that it’s happening and last minute details are being worked out with the Celtics. But my confidence is not high. History lurks.....

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Again, there's a difference between what he did before, which was emphatically say no and what he did in that interview when pressed.

As said below, your statement was more of a denial that what he gave.

We all know he's not coming out publicly and saying 'I am interested'. That's beyond dumb for him to do.

So all we have is nuance.

So who is your guy since you would move on from Stevens after that interview.
It wasn’t more of a denial than “No, I’m not”, which is succinct and straightforward. Show me the nuance in that. And show me where I said I’d move on from him after the interview. (Hint: I didn’t) But this is Bigfoot / Loch Ness monster / UFO territory right now. You’re welcome to believe it, but there’s no basis for it.

Dan Patrick started his show a minute ago talking about the IU coaching search. Said his sources are thinking Beard and Tony Bennett. Also mentioned Stevens is being mentioned and then said "Stevens has come out saying he's not leaving". I just don't understand media (especially him) putting stock into what a coach says to the beat writers of their current team when asked about an opening somewhere else. THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING!...until they are named the coach somewhere else.
I would take Bennett in a heartbeat!

the publicity cannot possibly be lost on the Celtics roster either. While they might not really care who their coach is...they still care who their coach is.

Alot can and has changed over four years,not just in Boston, but Bloomington too. I mean, look at Tom Hanks in " Castaway"...he was on that island for four years thinking about his girlfriend. Well, we know how that ended up...he got the brunette with no kids....so there's that.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Succinct and straightforward. Anyone in business would understand. DM’s, Jimmy?

C'mon man, you're just being deliberately obtuse. Sure, his "no" could mean no. It likely is just that, a hard "no". But it also could be "no" for the moment. Something could be in the works. Simply put this is SOP for a working coach at that level, with that spotlight, to give the pat/rote answer of "no" when put on the spot with questions from the media about coaching vacancies.

It wasn’t more of a denial than “No, I’m not”, which is succinct and straightforward. Show me the nuance in that. And show me where I said I’d move on from him after the interview. (Hint: I didn’t) But this is Bigfoot / Loch Ness monster / UFO territory right now. You’re welcome to believe it, but there’s no basis for it.

He had to be pressed to get to that answer and he gave an awnser that is easily deflected. I am not at this time.

Except he can't say that.

Then again, when asked about the position, instead of coming out with a 'listen, I'm not interested. End of story' like he's done many times before when other jobs have called....he waxes poetically about what Indiana means to him.

If you actually followed him through the years you would be able to recognize that it's a switch in tone.

Is it enough to bet the farm, not even close, but it is a change in tone.

So much that if you were my hired AD and you came to me and said 'well Stevens said no to some morning radio donkeys so he's out' I would give you a set of steak knives and fire you on the spot.

Lol on your 'I never said I'd walk away'. That's just you trying to hedge because you're not going to make any speculation that you could be pinned down out of some social fear of a silly message board.

So who are the guys you are going after if you were the AD?

Last edited:
He had to be pressed to get to that answer and he gave an awnser that is easily deflected. I am not at this time.

Then again, when asked about the position, instead of coming out with a 'listen, I'm not interested. End of story' like he's done many times before when other jobs have called....he waxes poetically about what Indiana means to him.

If you actually followed him through the years you would be able to recognize that it's a switch in tone.

So much that if you were my hired AD and you came to me and said 'well Stevens said no to some morning radio donkeys so he's out' I would give you a set of steak knives and fire you on the spot.

Lol on your 'I never said I'd walk away'. That's just you trying to hedge because you're not going to make any speculation that you could be pinned down out of some social fear of a silly message board.

He said no here so you're moving on then after this?
And time just keeps passing by without a full Stevens rejection of the job. Let’s say, however, that his “I am not” was intended as a definitive rejection. If that was the case, given all of the ongoing media and fan hype - why wouldn’t he after 2 days follow that up with a clearer full throated rejection to eliminate the hoopla? He knows all of this speculation has run rampant.
This says to me is that there is a strong possibility that there is real negotiation occurring.

Reporter: "Are you leaving Boston to coach at IU in Bloomington"?
BS: "No I am not".......could have finished with..."Actually, I am sitting down in this chair talking to you right now, so how could I be leaving"?

And time just keeps passing by without a full Stevens rejection of the job. Let’s say, however, that his “I am not” was intended as a definitive rejection. If that was the case, given all of the ongoing media and fan hype - why wouldn’t he after 2 days follow that up with a clearer full throated rejection to eliminate the hoopla? He knows all of this speculation has run rampant.
This says to me is that there is a strong possibility that there is real negotiation occurring.

I think he's eventually going to have to as we've seen how job speculation will kill a locker room.

The three things that give me hope is:

1. We haven't had a ton of players leave. Just Al. Typically when a coach leaves there are transfers and I would think now that there aren't any penalties it would be more likely, but it's been pretty quiet so far with our roster. Even TJD said he's waiting.

2. There is no search committee. Search committees leak info as they have multiple clients. If we were going after Stevens (or anyone big) we gotta keep the leaks to a min.

3. The situation. Boston is turning the heat up on Brad. It started in the bubble last year. Furthermore as discussed, Brad normally shuts things down quickly and emphatically...he hasn't done that yet. His tone is completely different.

All of this doesn't mean diddly poo but it makes me go hmmmmmm and hopeful that we can stick the landing.

somewhere in the 17 million dollar range are 2 individuals with an opinion. That opinion most certainly preceded the check clearing.

Why would Bennett leave UVA for IU? If he’s going to leave, wouldn’t he wait until the UW job opened up? He would covet that more than IU, one would think.
That’s what I’m saying. Bennett is unequivocally not interested in the IU job and let it be known to us before. The fact that Dan listed him as a front runner makes me think he has no clue what he’s talking about.

That's an interesting, if off-base, take on the Alabama comparison. Bryant's last year was 1982. Saban was hired in January of 2007. Twenty-five years between the two. Almost as much time has passed since Knight was here. I think that is where the similarities end, though.

Every coach at Alabama since Bryant, all six of them before Saban, won ten games in a season at least once. And Stallings won the national title in 1992. Indiana hasn't had near that level of success. Also, contrary to popular opinion they only ended up firing two of their coaches, DuBose and Shula. Indiana fires every coach, including Knight.

Personally, feel that the Nebraska football job is more like the Indiana basketball job than Alabama. But hey, that could all change with a Stevens hire.
I think Nebraska and IU are very different. IU is in the best basketball conference as is Bama to football. IU has a rich recruiting ground in its vicinity, Nebraska does not. IU had a legitimate chance to get better. Nebraska is a long shot. Bama just needed the right hire, IU does now. IU has everything else needed to be a premier program again. Gotta have faith.

I think Nebraska and IU are very different. IU is in the best basketball conference as is Bama to football. IU has a rich recruiting ground in its vicinity, Nebraska does not. IU had a legitimate chance to get better. Nebraska is a long shot. Bama just needed the right hire, IU does now. IU has everything else needed to be a premier program again. Gotta have faith.
I wasn't very specific with regards to my comparisons among the three schools. I think you're right in terms of recruiting. I was talking more in terms of the success of their coaches as far as wins and losses historically.

Nebraska has struggled since they fired Solich. And mightily in relation to the Osborne years. We have too since Knight was fired.

Alabama coaches have always had a certain level of success (10 win seasons), even the subpar hires like DuBose and Shula.

You're right Saban at Alabama is a once (or twice) in a lifetime school-coach combination.

I do think if we land Stevens, he is young enough, that Indiana can have sustained success for a long time.

Reactions: Sassy61
I wasn't very specific with regards to my comparisons among the three schools. I think you're right in terms of recruiting. I was talking more in terms of the success of their coaches as far as wins and losses historically.

Nebraska has struggled since they fired Solich. And mightily in relation to the Osborne years. We have too since Knight was fired.

Alabama coaches have always had a certain level of success (10 win seasons), even the subpar hires like DuBose and Shula.

You're right Saban at Alabama is a once (or twice) in a lifetime school-coach combination.

I do think if we land Stevens, he is young enough, that Indiana can have sustained success for a long time.
It’s all good Fletch. Hard to tell how this will turn out. So far the last hires have been the assistant, the cheat, the psycho, and the loser.

Reactions: F.Fletch

I understand your wishful thinking, but there’s really nothing of substance behind it. He may come to IU but you’re just speculating without anything to support it.

I think he's eventually going to have to as we've seen how job speculation will kill a locker room.

The three things that give me hope is:

1. We haven't had a ton of players leave. Just Al. Typically when a coach leaves there are transfers and I would think now that there aren't any penalties it would be more likely, but it's been pretty quiet so far with our roster. Even TJD said he's waiting.

2. There is no search committee. Search committees leak info as they have multiple clients. If we were going after Stevens (or anyone big) we gotta keep the leaks to a min.

3. The situation. Boston is turning the heat up on Brad. It started in the bubble last year. Furthermore as discussed, Brad normally shuts things down quickly and emphatically...he hasn't done that yet. His tone is completely different.

All of this doesn't mean diddly poo but it makes me go hmmmmmm and hopeful that we can stick the landing.
What? Search committees don't have clients.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT