ADVERTISEMENT

Losing my mind wondering who it

There's way more examples than Saban. Also, the Alabama program Saban took over was not so different from IU right now. They spent years hiring/firing trying to find their coach. The main difference is that IU has held onto a few of their coaches too long.

Bottom line, IU is a sleeping giant with a ton if history, a few shit hires doesn't change that.

Been saying that to myself and reading it on here for over 20 years.

lol

Excuse my pessimism....I truly to want Stevens.

Okay....hear me out. I think the reason all of this is taking so long is the number of pieces in play. The Stevens stuff is all a big smoke screen. TPTB are angling for something MUCH bigger. We are going to go innovative, yet old school. Scientific, yet biblical. A triumvirate of coaches, of the holy variety. We are not only going to hire Scott Drew, but also Steve Alford and Bryce Drew as Associate Head Coaches!!! They will be known as the Holy Trinity 2.0!!! It checks off all the boxes and several boxes we didn't even know we needed!

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Exactly. I think it's curtains in Boston, certainly if he doesn't make the playoffs, and also if they don't at least make the EC finals again. I don't think that's a great fully complete roster and they've largely overachieved with developing some of those guys, but the general Boston sentiment is they need to do better, aka NBA Finals. I think Boston fans are butt hurt over the Patriots, and so their focus and expectations for the Celtics are amped up a notch.

Celtics have two fantastic young pieces in Brown i and Tatum that Boston management has absolutely failed to build around. That’s on Ainge and a lot of it is out of BS control. That being said, at the end of the day BS is paid to win basketball games. It’s a business. I still think it’s a long shot for IU to land BS but not because of his comments the other night. I just don’t see the timing working out. I do however think BS time in Boston will be coming to an end sooner than later.

• Sad
Reactions: Riveting and UTFO
I just want somebody to tell me the last coach to quit the Boston Celtics.

Couldn’t tell you that because honestly don’t know if it’s ever happened. That being said, Steven’s isn’t a dumb guy...far from it, and he’s got to know his seat is getting warmer by the game. Next couple weeks will be telling, trade deadline is approaching and you’ll know one way or the other the direction the Celtics are going.

tenor.gif

Sums up how I have felt over the last 3 days. I think I may just have to go off the grid until I hear from someone else who it is.
Just sit back and watch the NCAA tourney. It’s going to be an exciting one!

Exactly. I think it's curtains in Boston, certainly if he doesn't make the playoffs, and also if they don't at least make the EC finals again. I don't think that's a great fully complete roster and they've largely overachieved with developing some of those guys, but the general Boston sentiment is they need to do better, aka NBA Finals. I think Boston fans are butt hurt over the Patriots, and so their focus and expectations for the Celtics are amped up a notch.

8 years is a lifetime for one job in the NBA. I think he's now one of the longest tenured coaches in the league.

This is exactly whats going to happen.

I'm really surprised everyone has sold-out on Brad Stevens and turned their back to all other possibilities.. Stevens was never coming to IU.. Delusional..

Thanks...we were hoping someone from "U" (lol) Louisville would come and tell everyone what is up.

Last edited:
Couldn’t tell you that because honestly don’t know if it’s ever happened. That being said, Steven’s isn’t a dumb guy...far from it, and he’s got to know his seat is getting warmer by the game. Next couple weeks will be telling, trade deadline is approaching and you’ll know one way or the other the direction the Celtics are going.
Yeah, that's what I meant about not blaming Stevens. I think he's done a good job winning as much as he has while developing those guys...but they aren't enough and I don't like the roster around them. I think where they'll get to is are the powers that be satisfied with letting just BS go, or will they retool and let both he and Ainge go. Ainge isn't dumb either and I think he'd get behind BS leaving, hoping an interim will come in and give them a bump, save his job and give him some time to make some deals and tweak the roster.

I think Beard would be an excellent hire. (Admittedly I thought the same of Archie but it just didn’t work out.) Most everyone loves the thought of Stevens, as do I, but I would not turn my nose down at attracting Beard.

Reactions: kkott
You go hard and exclusively for #1 and if he says no...you go hard and exclusively for #2.

I think Beard would be an excellent hire. (Admittedly I thought the same of Archie but it just didn’t work out.) Most everyone loves the thought of Stevens, as do I, but I would not turn my nose down at attracting Beard.
hell no, I'd take either option at this point. At least we're not talking about hiring Pitino, Alford or Fife.
That Rutgers loss was only last Thursday but suddenly feels like 10 yrs ago.

One worry I have, there is so much hope/predictions/etc for Stevens, that if it is someone else we will all be disappointed. Even if it is someone good, he will not be Stevens.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing.

Dan Patrick just mentioned his sources say Stevens ain't coming. He also said they are not pursuing Scott Drew. Potentially Beard as he has Knight connections. Also Dane Fife as a dark horse. Patrick's sources are better than anyone on this board.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Celtics have two fantastic young pieces in Brown i and Tatum that Boston management has absolutely failed to build around. That’s on Ainge and a lot of it is out of BS control. That being said, at the end of the day BS is paid to win basketball games. It’s a business. I still think it’s a long shot for IU to land BS but not because of his comments the other night. I just don’t see the timing working out. I do however think BS time in Boston will be coming to an end sooner than later.
Larry Bird has said many times that NBA players start tuning out their coach after 3 yrs. Brad knows that his time in Boston is coming to an end. Those players need a new voice. BS to IU gets more real the longer we don’t hear a definitive BS statement rejecting it.

Dan Patrick just mentioned his sources say Stevens ain't coming. He also said they are not pursuing Scott Drew. Potentially Beard as he has Knight connections. Also Dane Fife as a dark horse. Patrick's sources are better than anyone on this board.
Patrick’s sources in general would be good. For this particular matter, I would not necessarily assume so. Does he have an in to Dolson? Doubt it. Brad Stevens? They would be keeping this extremely tight.
Media like to guess and they have a 50/50 chance of being wrong. Shall I go look up all the times that Patrick has been wrong with his guesses?

Larry Bird has said many times that NBA players start tuning out their coach after 3 yrs. Brad knows that his time in Boston is coming to an end. Those players need a new voice. BS to IU gets more real the longer we don’t hear a definitive BS statement rejecting it.
He already said he wasn’t coming.

Patrick’s sources in general would be good. For this particular matter, I would not necessarily assume so. Does he have an in to Dolson? Doubt it. Brad Stevens? They would be keeping this extremely tight.
Media like to guess and they have a 50/50 chance of being wrong. Shall I go look up all the times that Patrick has been wrong with his guesses?
Possibly but he is well connected. I do think we are going after a big name. He mentioned Tony Bennett, his Dad was close to Knight. I highly doubt Bennett makes his way to Bloomington.

He already said he wasn’t coming.
Until he says so without being asked or provoked, there’s still hope. All he’s gotta do is start a presser saying there’s no way I’m leaving. That’s not happened. Tell me a coach who hasn’t denied it when on a call or with media. They deny it 100% of the time. Then we all know what happens.

Possibly but he is well connected. I do think we are going after a big name. He mentioned Tony Bennett, his Dad was close to Knight. I highly doubt Bennett makes his way to Bloomington.
Probably not after we fired his sister.

Stevens is a very smart guy. He knows he has one of the top 5 jobs in all of pro sports.

I love IU. But when I take off my IU glasses, it is clear what a disastrous decision it would be for him to QUIT the Boston Celtics to come coach at a college team that hasn't truly been relevant in 20-30 years.

And BOS is not firing Brad Stevens this week.

He's my top choice too. This all just seems like rabbit hole digging to me.

I agree Steven's is a smart guy. He's also intelligent enough to realize he won't be the coach in Boston much longer. The decision is whether he wants to work at IU or for some other NBA team.

I think you misinterpreted what he said. He didn't say his source said he wasn't coming. He was mentioning how Stevens has said he's "not" coming to local media in Boston. (which means absolutely nothing)

We need a month to complete the ncaa tournament and 3 months to complete the nba.
I do not know if this affects the timeline bit perhaps we should prepare for a long wait.

Sure, but This is all getting a little too Qanon for me....

I just want somebody to tell me the last coach to quit the Boston Celtics.
Didn't Pitino quit? He may have been fired or quit knowing he would be fired., can't recall

Edit: Yeah duh, someone above reminded me that Doc Rivers did quit recently

Last edited:
There's way more examples than Saban. Also, the Alabama program Saban took over was not so different from IU right now. They spent years hiring/firing trying to find their coach. The main difference is that IU has held onto a few of their coaches too long.

Bottom line, IU is a sleeping giant with a ton if history, a few shit hires doesn't change that. It's the main reason we have trolls in threads like this calling us delusional for even talking about Stevens. They don't even want him to be a possibility. Not one opposing fanbase out there that wants to see Brad Stevens at Indiana, I can promise you so it's best to just let it all play out before you start writng people off.
That's an interesting, if off-base, take on the Alabama comparison. Bryant's last year was 1982. Saban was hired in January of 2007. Twenty-five years between the two. Almost as much time has passed since Knight was here. I think that is where the similarities end, though.

Every coach at Alabama since Bryant, all six of them before Saban, won ten games in a season at least once. And Stallings won the national title in 1992. Indiana hasn't had near that level of success. Also, contrary to popular opinion they only ended up firing two of their coaches, DuBose and Shula. Indiana fires every coach, including Knight.

Personally, feel that the Nebraska football job is more like the Indiana basketball job than Alabama. But hey, that could all change with a Stevens hire.

Dan Patrick started his show a minute ago talking about the IU coaching search. Said his sources are thinking Beard and Tony Bennett. Also mentioned Stevens is being mentioned and then said "Stevens has come out saying he's not leaving". I just don't understand media (especially him) putting stock into what a coach says to the beat writers of their current team when asked about an opening somewhere else. THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING!...until they are named the coach somewhere else.
And it’s obvious he knows nothing of he thinks Bennett would take the job.

Reactions: UncleMark
Didn't Pitino quit? He may have been fired or quit knowing he would be fired., can't recall
Tell me the last time a Celtics coach was offered a meaningful amount of more money and more job security from the college in their home state that the coach grew up idolizing? Yeah - didn’t think so.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Not sure about that. Isn’t he the one that said Bennett was on the list too?

Edit: Yeah duh, someone above reminded me that Doc Rivers did quit recently
Doc Rivers was traded to the Clippers after the 2013 season.

so you're trusting him on the "Stevens not coming" tidbit but not that TB might be a candidate?

TB was my first choice when we hired Archie. My reasoning being that at UVA he was always going to have to contend with UNC and Duke, and it would be very hard to overtake them and their dominant position, whereas at iU he could build that dominant program. But, at this point, he's pretty well equalled or overtaken Duke and UNC and is now faced with the opportunity that both will likely be replacing their legendary coaches in the next few years, so his outlook has changed immensely. Unless he's way underpaid or unhappy with his situation, I see no reason why he'd consider us. But for those same reasons about being the lesser school to the bigger fish in his conference is exactly who Beard or Musselman might be interested in IU. And I'm just kicking tires here, but my first hope now is obviously Brad Stevens.

Until he says so without being asked or provoked, there’s still hope. All he’s gotta do is start a presser saying there’s no way I’m leaving. That’s not happened. Tell me a coach who hasn’t denied it when on a call or with media. They deny it 100% of the time. Then we all know what happens.
Why is it more compelling if he’s not asked or provoked? Does that somehow indicate a greater degree of honesty?

Doc Rivers was traded to the Clippers after the 2013 season.
I don't think it's some far fetched idea for Stevens to walk away from the Celtics. Now, if he had a legitimate title-contending team, it would be a different story. However, it's beyond clear there are internal issues with this Celtics team along with the fact that Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Miami and Philadelphia are more legitimate title contenders out of the east.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT