ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas shooting: 50 people killed in Mandalay Bay attack

I'm. It suggesting enacting legislation. I'm suggesting we un-enact legislation.

If we are serious about applying conservative principles to this issue, it seems to me we don't want legislative control of juries. Let's preserve the seventh amendment.

As far as your other points are concerned, I think proper jury instructions about proximate cause and foreseeable harm would cover the issues.
I understand your good argument. I prefer that certain aspects of the matter - misuse, alteration - make for an automatic dismissal. Saves money, removes the incentive of the plaintiff's bar to file bad suits just to get paid to go away. Lawyers get paid for worthless cases just because the cost of pursuing the matter by the defendant is untenable. I'm driving at a legislative enactment because some of the states have codified their law rather than allow common law to evolve with each decision. Resorting to federal common law would put the states jurisprudence under the thumb of the federal courts, eliminate state case law and make statutes worthless and that is never a good thing.

Now Rock will soil himself much to Goat's horror, but I nearly always - SCOTUS exception in small measure - prefer legislative bodies make policy decisions rather than courts. And, as you may remember, I prefer the meaning of the Constitution's text at ratification to interpretation by courts.

I understand your good argument. I prefer that certain aspects of the matter - misuse, alteration - make for an automatic dismissal. Saves money, removes the incentive of the plaintiff's bar to file bad suits just to get paid to go away. Lawyers get paid for worthless cases just because the cost of pursuing the matter by the defendant is untenable. I'm driving at a legislative enactment because some of the states have codified their law rather than allow common law to evolve with each decision. Resorting to federal common law would put the states jurisprudence under the thumb of the federal courts, eliminate state case law and make statutes worthless and that is never a good thing.

Now Rock will soil himself much to Goat's horror, but I nearly always - SCOTUS exception in small measure - prefer legislative bodies make policy decisions rather than courts. And, as you may remember, I prefer the meaning of the Constitution's text at ratification to interpretation by courts.
Alteration? I don’t think so pal.

TheVegasHoosier said said:

Also, what are the odds Trump brags about his "big beautiful hotel" when he comes here tomorrow?
Will he and his entourage be staying there? Surely he won't pass up a chance to bump their revenues.
Don't leave out:
"I saved the island despite the incompetence of the mayor, Hilary, and Obama!";)

To i'vegotwinners and TheoriginalHappyGoat,

It is sad to see two of my favorite posters on this board are into pissing matches. I propose that two of you settle your differences and join your superior intellects to fight something that affects our country and world. Please!

I haven’t had the opportunity to read the legislation yet, but we are now considering making silencers legal. I just can’t understand why we need that. Then again, I don’t understand why we need high capacity semi-auto rifles. 50 rounds? What is the purpose?

So you can sneak up on birds and shoot them quietly.

Reactions: Bill4411

It is sad to see two of my favorite posters on this board are into pissing matches. I propose that two of you settle your differences and join your superior intellects to fight something that affects our country and world. Please!
Don't look at me. The pissing only goes in one direction here.

The issue when reciting these is the people who don't hold the bible in such high regard, simply see you reading this scripture as nothing more than you reading a fictitious novel written by a 1st century author. They just turn their head to the side and curl their nose. You have every right to pick and choose your favorite sentences/paragraphs and unravel/decipher them to equate to a meaning that best fits the message you feel most driven by; however, understand that to others it very well sounds like crazy man talk. It just does. That's not to hinder you from your own beliefs but to educate you on what others who don't believe, see when you do that. Like what do you think if/when you would hear someone perform an exorcism? Would you shake your head and gasp?

- "Friend, I understand the pain of this world" but as the all mighty creator, there is nothing I can do?
- To that, "we live here and can't escape it?" What? Why do we have to set forth a world where escaping is something we even would want to do? He created this place just as he wanted because he could.
- So his mission is to expect people to believe random stories that completely defy logic off nothing but blind faith? To bend on one knee to thank and worship this creator? What great person in your life do you know asks you to bend on a knee and thank them for the greatness they exude? And if you don't, they say you shall burn for eternity. You see a savior and a guy we should be looking up to and worshiping? Sounds more ruthless than the "put the lotion on the skin or else it gets the hose again" guy....

giphy.gif
I was commenting on why evil in the world ie shooters and cancer is not a good reason to deny God's existence. Jesus is the embodiment of the mind of God. As God's Son clothed in human flesh he perfectly represents who the Father is and what His Will is. Jesus told Phillip in John 14, "If you have seen me you have seen the Father". By Christ's death we see the great love of God in sending His Son to die for sinful human beings. Every little one is brought into the presence of God and cancer will no longer plague them. Every sorrow on Earth will vanish in the next life. As John the Apostle said at the end of the Book of Revelation 21:4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.

I was commenting on why evil in the world ie shooters and cancer is not a good reason to deny God's existence. Jesus is the embodiment of the mind of God. As God's Son clothed in human flesh he perfectly represents who the Father is and what His Will is. Jesus told Phillip in John 14, "If you have seen me you have seen the Father". By Christ's death we see the great love of God in sending His Son to die for sinful human beings. Every little one is brought into the presence of God and cancer will no longer plague them. Every sorrow on Earth will vanish in the next life. As John the Apostle said at the end of the Book of Revelation 21:4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.
Thumpers (not a holistic knock on those of faith) tend to resort to unpersuasive, conclusory, nearly meaningless Bible-ish gobbledygook citation of PHRASES as if doing so revealed some deeper truth or meaning instead of a useless utterance of phrases.

And that’s not a knock on believers or quoters of Scripture generally.

That’s an appalling equivalence between a smart literate poster and a crazy illiterate poster. I question your judgment.

I am good at reading. You said I was "technically right". I'm not "technically" anything. I am correct. Machine guns and automatic weapons are legal in the state of Nevada. It doesn't matter what is or isn't likely. I am correct.
Another "technically right". Automatic weapons are not prohibited in Nevada by Nevada law. They are prohibited in Nevada and every other state by Federal law - the 1935 fire arms act and again by an Act in 1986. So, Nevada won't arrest you for violating their law, the feds will. Nevada, therefore, doesn't need a law since federal laws apply in Nevada.

Indiana has an express prohibition from owning an automatic weapon, but doesn't really need to.
Alteration? I don’t think so pal.
You own a company which makes construction saws equipped with the highest quality guards and plastered with warnings and safety instructions about use and maintenance and comes in the box along with instructions for preparation and use. The 2nd guy to use it decides to take off the guard and is badly injured in operating the saw without the factory installed guard. He sues YOU for several million he claims is your fault, but you sold them a safe saw that they altered to an unsafe condition. Are you liable for his injuries? Should his alteration amount to a defense?

If surely should and does in many jurisdictions.

However, I'm not sure you intended to respond to the post you responded to.

So you can sneak up on birds and shoot them quietly.
They aren't "silencers" in that they do not render the discharge of the weapon silent - even though H. Clinton, imbecile, seems to think so and appears to have said so publicly to her own shame. They are suppressors and you can hear them fired a long way off. Don't believe the movies.

They aren't "silencers" in that they do not render the discharge of the weapon silent - even though H. Clinton, imbecile, seems to think so and appears to have said so publicly to her own shame. They are suppressors and you can hear them fired a long way off. Don't believe the movies.

Still petty.

Pitty.

Another "technically right". Automatic weapons are not prohibited in Nevada by Nevada law. They are prohibited in Nevada and every other state by Federal law - the 1935 fire arms act and again by an Act in 1986. So, Nevada won't arrest you for violating their law, the feds will. Nevada, therefore, doesn't need a law since federal laws apply in Nevada.

Indiana has an express prohibition from owning an automatic weapon, but doesn't really need to.

You own a company which makes construction saws equipped with the highest quality guards and plastered with warnings and safety instructions about use and maintenance and comes in the box along with instructions for preparation and use. The 2nd guy to use it decides to take off the guard and is badly injured in operating the saw without the factory installed guard. He sues YOU for several million he claims is your fault, but you sold them a safe saw that they altered to an unsafe condition. Are you liable for his injuries? Should his alteration amount to a defense?

You’re going to have to carefully specify “alteration” when it comes to these gun nerd long guns. Customization is the name of the game to these of the tiny-week military wanna-be variety. Are you saying that if somebody puts a bump stock on it indemnifies the seller?

I thought you could own an automatic weapon as long as it was manufactured prior to 1985 and you had the right license?

Wrong! It’s the Feds who approve people to own a fully automatic weapon. Now why would the Feds be doing that if there was a Federal law against it? Read your NRA updates, chief:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/19990729/fully-automatic-firearms

You’re going to have to carefully specify “alteration” when it comes to these gun nerd long guns. Customization is the name of the game to these of the tiny-week military wanna-be variety. Are you saying that if somebody puts a bump stock on it indemnifies the seller?
. . . immunizes . . .

Strawman!

That's exactly why we have a legal system to argue out fault. Except your esteemed party pushed to provide this one specific industry total immunity.....something no other industry could even think to have.

Why do you want the finest group of microbiologists, entomologists, and communicable disease experts in the world dealing with guns? The CDC is the gold standard for what it does--which is stopping communicable diseases from vectoring into and within the US. Let's not give it more baggage to schlep around.

The DOJ Should deal with gun violence.

National Center for Injury Prevention and Control....has been around since the 80s....they started putting out research studies on gun violence in the 90s. The gun nuts lost their minds at the CDC findings and started lobbying very hard to put appropriation riders banning the Center from even talking about gun violence. The gun lobby lapdogs in Congress took their orders, and have now annually added riders to spending bills for the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/index.html

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

No one said God doesn't exist. That's a much deeper debate and can only be based on hyperbole. I was referring to the scriptures from the novel you were quoting.

So you are going all in on that book and believing those sayings that are purported from one man who was on earth as the gospel. Did you think David Koresh was a loose nut? He said a lot of those same things....

I can validate any bad thing with a twist to explain how it's for the betterment of man........even when it's really not. Innocent babies being brutally slaughtered is just a sorrow the bible says will vanish in the next life? Those tears will be wiped and then what? We'll all just sit back and laugh about it later? How can one explain that as a good thing and rationally believe what they're saying. If you agree that it's not a good thing (before explaining its purpose) then why do you think its OK for an all and powerful being to even create us in an environment that permits that. Let alone merely using such horrific events as a "lesson" to exude his greatness? If you put that type of behavior in realistic terms, we would compare that nonsense to a dictator of the evilest kind.

I've got 2 uncles that are ministers and was raised in a church. I get the ideology and the positives associated but the rationalization of devastating situations as providing man a greater good is preposterous.

National Center for Injury Prevention and Control....has been around since the 80s....they started putting out research studies on gun violence in the 90s. The gun nuts lost their minds at the CDC findings and started lobbying very hard to put appropriation riders banning the Center from even talking about gun violence. The gun lobby lapdogs in Congress took their orders, and have now annually added riders to spending bills for the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/index.html

Thanks for that link. So they are studying violence prevention and motor vehicle safety already. Hmmm.

Why don't you explain to me how, as a man of God, you can look yourself in the mirror after voting for a despicable person like Donald Trump?

In that case would you not go after the seller/manufacturer of the bump stock? If it was found that the gunmaker themselves do not sell bump stocks I do not see how they could be blamed for someone adding mods after manufacture was completed by Smith and Wesson for example.

Why don't you explain to me how, as a man of God, you can look yourself in the mirror after voting for a despicable person like Donald Trump?

With that standard it would be hard to vote for anyone. I thought (think) Hillary is a despicable hag as well. So I can vote for the despicable person who holds very few views I agree with and is likely to continue to push the country in a direction I do not want to go or I can vote with the despicable person who at least espouses some things I agree with and may push the country more in a direction I want to go.

Most politicians are not good people. You do not get where they are by being good, you get there and stay there by being a cutthroat.

Leviticus 11:10, For those who grabbeth doth crotcheth of thy female he is merely expressing doth lords will.

You have to understand. Back before civil war, the bible justified having slaves. I mean it was the same words then as it is now but now we say that wasn't really the original intentions. So Trumps radical beliefs are given approval because he follows the christian views more closely compared to the other candidate. Over the years their interpretation of the scripture has changed and somehow the lords word has been revised quietly in new versions that come out periodically.

With that standard it would be hard to vote for anyone. I thought (think) Hillary is a despicable hag as well. So I can vote for the despicable person who holds very few views I agree with and is likely to continue to push the country in a direction I do not want to go or I can vote with the despicable person who at least espouses some things I agree with and may push the country more in a direction I want to go.

Most politicians are not good people. You do not get where they are by being good, you get there and stay there by being a cutthroat.

I agree with that logic on voting, I guess. But it doesn't explain backing his individual agenda's and defending them....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT