ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas shooting: 50 people killed in Mandalay Bay attack

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Latest BBC report:
At least 50 people have been killed and another 200 have been wounded in a mass shooting at a Las Vegas concert.
A gunman, named as 64-year-old local resident Stephen Paddock, opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel towards an open-air music festival.
He was shot dead by officers in the hotel where a number of guns were found.
The attack is the worst mass shooting in recent US history.
Another day, more mass shooting (only) in America.

Not sure since Obama isnt around anymore to take their guns away.
True but there is that lingering fear that we might regulate weapons to some degree...but they really have nothing to worry about with all the politicians that claim to be loyal NRA disciples.

Its just so stupid. No country in the world has this many guns sitting around with civilians and no country in the world has this almost daily mass shooting.

Yet, people refuse to link the two facts together.

So where were those rights to bear arms folks ie deluded Rambos at the concert? It was still left to the police to deal with the situation.

This is a very sad event. Over 50 people are dead. They're the sons and daughters and fathers and mothers of others. It's a time of grieving and it would be nice to hold off on fighting over gun rights for at least 24 hours wouldn't it? I will.

Its just so stupid. No country in the world has this many guns sitting around with civilians and no country in the world has this almost daily mass shooting.

Yet, people refuse to link the two facts together.

So where were those rights to bear arms folks ie deluded Rambos at the concert? It was still left to the police to deal with the situation.

Look, can’t we all just stop and send our warmest condolences to the victims and their families?

Warmest condolences.

Reactions: MrBing
This is a very sad event. Over 50 people are dead. They're the sons and daughters and fathers and mothers of others. It's a time of grieving and it would be nice to hold off on fighting over gun rights for at least 24 hours wouldn't it? I will.

Well, I think it's worth discussing how to prevent these attacks.

So you need to either search everyone checking into a hotel or who has an apartment/condo on a high floor, have multiple police snipers at every outdoor event, and/or limit semi-automatic assault rifles to only be kept at gun ranges since there's no use for them besides killing mass amounts of people.

There's nothing anyone with a concealed weapon could do at that concert at that range except fire blindly and kill other people.

Wonder why they haven’t posted a picture of the shooter?

There is no fight over gun rights...the NRA has won. Hell we have GOP politicians trying to strike almost any sense of commons sense control measure before it even gets started, not to mention roll back ones in place.

Gotta have more guns, it is what the founders wanted when they had to load their muskets. They had the vision to see that everyone, regardless of mental stability or background should have weapons of mass destruction at their fingertips, that way everyone feels so much more safe in their efforts to fight off government encroachment into their live (unless it involves sex, marriage, or reproduction, then the government is the best).

Unfortunately that's what we are always told after these type of shocking events and then nothing is ever done. I think it is a perfect time to address gun issues before we get distracted by another Trump sideshow.

It's all senseless, heartbreaking, maddening, and frustrating, but in the end nothing will change. You can give money to politicians who are for stricter gun laws, call and write your representatives, and engage in civil debate, but in the end the strategy our government seems to be stuck on is pray for the victims and pray that you're not in the middle of the next mass shooting.

On the news this morning, someone asked a law enforcement official in Nevada how much ammo are you allowed to legally purchase in the state. I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said it depends how much money you have and how big a truck you have outside to haul it all away. A year from now, nothing about that will change. It won't even be seriously debated.

Unfortunately that's what we are always told after these type of shocking events and then nothing is ever done. I think it is a perfect time to address gun issues before we get distracted by another Trump sideshow.
It's all senseless, heartbreaking, maddening, and frustrating, but in the end nothing will change. You can give money to politicians who are for stricter gun laws, call and write your representatives, and engage in civil debate, but in the end the strategy our government seems to be stuck on is pray for the victims and pray that you're not in the middle of the next mass shooting.

On the news this morning, someone asked a law enforcement official in Nevada how much ammo are you allowed to legally purchase in the state. I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said it depends how much money you have and how big a truck you have outside to haul it all away. A year from now, nothing about that will change. It won't even be seriously debated.

Both of you are correct. We are living in a world devoid of common sense, led by people opposed to science. Hard to progress, when you can't even find common ground on basic facts.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Well, I think it's worth discussing how to prevent these attacks.

So you need to either search everyone checking into a hotel or who has an apartment/condo on a high floor, have multiple police snipers at every outdoor event, and/or limit semi-automatic assault rifles to only be kept at gun ranges since there's no use for them besides killing mass amounts of people.

There's nothing anyone with a concealed weapon could do at that concert at that range except fire blindly and kill other people.

I struggle to think of anything that could've been done to prevent this particular attack -- not, anyway, anything having to do with stricter gun regulations (he used an automatic weapon).

BTW, I was at the Mandalay Bay last week -- came home Thursday. I'm feeling quite fortunate this morning.

There is no fight over gun rights...the NRA has won. Hell we have GOP politicians trying to strike almost any sense of commons sense control measure before it even gets started, not to mention roll back ones in place.

Gotta have more guns, it is what the founders wanted when they had to load their muskets. They had the vision to see that everyone, regardless of mental stability or background should have weapons of mass destruction at their fingertips, that way everyone feels so much more safe in their efforts to fight off government encroachment into their live (unless it involves sex, marriage, or reproduction, then the government is the best).

How long before Wayne Lil’Peter or Pete Brownell tells us everyone at the concert should’ve been armed?

Never mind. The victims and the friends and families of the victims have my deepest sympathies.

I'm going to the sports boards for a while.

I was in Vegas for the GGG vs Canelo fight. This country we live in is a crazy place.

I'm a hunter and the last person you would think is ok with ant-gun laws. I think what gets lost in the battle for or against guns is the long term ramifications. Anti-gun is not a battle ANYONE thinks will be won the day a decision is made. People are going to die due to gun violence for the rest of our lifetimes and likely our children's lifetimes. The question is more long term. What is the best way to prevent this for our grandchildren and their children. Will it ever eliminate such violence? Possibly not. But can it increasingly lower the numbers? Absolutely. We can't keep dying from guns and say getting rid of them won't ever solve the problem. But keeping them....will? Like what are we talking about?

Anyways, I have siblings who work on the strip and are safe. I hope their friends all made it out ok.

I struggle to think of anything that could've been done to prevent this particular attack -- not, anyway, anything having to do with stricter gun regulations (he used an automatic weapon).

BTW, I was at the Mandalay Bay last week -- came home Thursday. I'm feeling quite fortunate this morning.
I listened to the audio with my eyes closed and pictured myself back on a range. It’s definitely a belt fed weapon and sounds small caliber (5.56mm). My guess is either an M249 (or replica) or a modified M16/AR.

I was in Vegas for the GGG vs Canelo fight. This country we live in is a crazy place.

I'm a hunter and the last person you would think is ok with ant-gun laws. I think what gets lost in the battle for or against guns is the long term ramifications. Anti-gun is not a battle ANYONE thinks will be won the day a decision is made. People are going to die due to gun violence for the rest of our lifetimes and likely our children's lifetimes. The question is more long term. What is the best way to prevent this for our grandchildren and their children. Will it ever eliminate such violence? Possibly not. But can it increasingly lower the numbers? Absolutely. We can't keep dying from guns and say getting rid of them won't ever solve the problem. But keeping them....will? Like what are we talking about?

Anyways, I have siblings who work on the strip and are safe. I hope their friends all made it out ok.

Anti gun? People need to stop calling it “anti gun laws” and call them “pro life laws” and/or “pro culture of life laws”. You’ll have a certain Christian party trampling each other to support those.

I listened to the audio with my eyes closed and pictured myself back on a range. It’s definitely a belt fed weapon and sounds small caliber (5.56mm). My guess is either an M249 (or replica) or a modified M16/AR.

Interesting.

FTR, I've long been in favor of outlawing high-capacity magazines and anything else that is tailor-made for mass shooting. But, in this case, even that probably wouldn't have prevented this. It seems pretty likely that the weapon he used is already banned.

Exactly. There is no BETTER time to think about it than now. Thoughts and prayers simply give people time to move on to the next story. If God were going to answer to anyone's prayers, wouldn't he have stopped the shooter in the first place?

America is a violent society awash in guns. Even the police couldn't get to this guy. Over 450 casualties and the guy blew his own brains out too.

Interesting.

FTR, I've long been in favor of outlawing high-capacity magazines and anything else that is tailor-made for mass shooting. But, in this case, even that probably wouldn't have prevented this. It seems pretty likely that the weapon he used is already banned.
Agreed. This weapon definitely sounds belt fed and small caliber in my opinion. The death to injured ratio also supports small caliber. If it were 7.62 I’d expect the death ratio to have been higher. Could be wrong though.

Serious question: what does the ATF do?

Interesting.

Yeah, but he likely didn't purchase it that way. He likely legally purchased an M16 and modified it to an auto. So no, we couldn't stop him from modifying it but had he not been able to buy the M16.......well now we have a situation.

General Stanley McChrystal thinks there is no need for civilians to be carrying weapons made for the battlefield:

"I spent a career carrying, typically either a M16 and later, a M4 carbine,” McChrystal said. "And an M4 carbine fires a .223 caliber round, which is 5.56 millimeters, at about 3,000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed to do that. And that’s what our soldiers ought to carry.”

“I personally don’t think there’s any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets, and particularly around the schools in America," McChrystal continued. "I believe that we’ve got to take a serious look. I understand everybody’s desire to have whatever they want, but we've got to protect our children, we've got to protect our police and we've got to protect our population. And I think we've got to take a very mature look at that.”

Again, I don't know anyone personally that I believe isn't a responsible gun owner. 99.9% of them are. That's why this battle is such a hard one to fight. We just have to collectively come together and figure out what we think as a country can help us keep the crazy f*ckers from getting their hands on these things. So it's not guns are good, guns are bad. It's how can we defend ourselves vs these nut cases. We're all on the same page and want the same outcome (unlike other political battles), we just have different methods of which can help us achieve it. There just doesn't seem to be a better answer than coming together to shut them down.

Reactions: hoosboot
Interesting.

FTR, I've long been in favor of outlawing high-capacity magazines and anything else that is tailor-made for mass shooting. But, in this case, even that probably wouldn't have prevented this. It seems pretty likely that the weapon he used is already banned.[/QUOTE
General Stanley McChrystal thinks there is no need for civilians to be carrying weapons made for the battlefield:

"I spent a career carrying, typically either a M16 and later, a M4 carbine,” McChrystal said. "And an M4 carbine fires a .223 caliber round, which is 5.56 millimeters, at about 3,000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed to do that. And that’s what our soldiers ought to carry.”

“I personally don’t think there’s any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets, and particularly around the schools in America," McChrystal continued. "I believe that we’ve got to take a serious look. I understand everybody’s desire to have whatever they want, but we've got to protect our children, we've got to protect our police and we've got to protect our population. And I think we've got to take a very mature look at that.”
Exactly.

Latest BBC report:

Another day, more mass shooting (only) in America.

I was listening to Righty Radio this morning and they were brushing it off that it was an old white guy. If it had been a Muslim, they'd be demanding every Muslim on earth be punished for it.

The Vegas paper's main writer, THE biggest Trump fan in the country, was actually blaming this on Muslims as it was happening.

Yeah, but he likely didn't purchase it that way. He likely legally purchased an M16 and modified it to an auto. So no, we couldn't stop him from modifying it but had he not been able to buy the M16.......well now we have a situation.
I’d be shocked if this were true. The volume of rounds means it is likely belt-fed. Modifying an AR and then having a high volume drum is in my opinion the least likely scenario.

Reactions: Ladoga
Exactly. There is no BETTER time to think about it than now. Thoughts and prayers simply give people time to move on to the next story. If God were going to answer to anyone's prayers, wouldn't he have stopped the shooter in the first place?

America is a violent society awash in guns. Even the police couldn't get to this guy. Over 450 casualties and the guy blew his own brains out too.
Maybe the answer to our prayers is that our politicians gain the common sense, wisdom, grace and fortitude to stand up to the gun lobbyists and enact stricter gun laws. At least that's what seems logical to me.

I'm pretty sure Jesus/God/ fill in the blank with your deity of choice doesn't feel like arming more people is the answer here.

I don't know what the rationale was, but I've read in multiple stories that authorities went straight to a place called the Ali Baba Cafe.

Gee....I wonder why that happened?

I was listening to Righty Radio this morning and they were brushing it off that it was an old white guy. If it had been a Muslim, they'd be demanding every Muslim on earth be punished for it.

The Vegas paper's main writer, THE biggest Trump fan in the country, was actually blaming this on Muslims as it was happening.

Sounds like the narrative hadn't yet made it to him. The right-wingers I know are all over social media pointing out that this guy 'liked' a lot of anti-Trump facebook groups. He wasn't a Muslim, but they've already tailored the message so that they can channel their alternating hate and prayers in a focused manner.

I don't know what the rationale was, but I've read in multiple stories that authorities went straight to a place called the Ali Baba Cafe.

Gee....I wonder why that happened?
Sounds like ISIS might be claiming credit for this. Lots of speculation in these stories in the early minutes and hours and longer.

Again, I don't know anyone personally that I believe isn't a responsible gun owner. 99.9% of them are. That's why this battle is such a hard one to fight. We just have to collectively come together and figure out what we think as a country can help us keep the crazy f*ckers from getting their hands on these things. So it's not guns are good, guns are bad. It's how can we defend ourselves vs these nut cases. We're all on the same page and want the same outcome (unlike other political battles), we just have different methods of which can help us achieve it. There just doesn't seem to be a better answer than coming together to shut them down.

Stephen Paddock was a “responsible gun owner” until he wasn’t.

I’d be shocked if this were true. The volume of rounds means it is likely belt-fed. Modifying an AR and then having a high volume drum is in my opinion the least likely scenario.

I haven't heard the shots so I honestly couldn't say. It sounds like he had an armory in his room so he could've used all kinds of them.

OK. But isn't that sort of chasing a ghost?

If we could systematically eradicate every kind of SA weapon people are modifying today, what's to stop somebody intent on doing something like this from modifying a different weapon that didn't make the list? Or how about this brave new world of 3D printing?

My point here is that I don't think we should ever put too much faith in bans on this or that object to prevent these sorts of evil acts -- and I say that as somebody who doesn't have the first problem with some kinds of firearms prohibitions. After all, just because bans aren't likely to do much is no particular argument against such bans.

As tempting as it is to say that we should be focused more on early detection of Stephen Paddocks, his brother said this was out of character for him. I mean, I know some people that, if I woke up one day and read that they'd shot up a concert, I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I imagine we all do.

That's why my first thought at this particular incident (and I don't always feel this way) is that I'm not sure anything could've been done in terms of law and policy that would've prevented it.

Sounds like ISIS might be claiming credit for this. Lots of speculation in these stories in the early minutes and hours and longer.

If ISIS was somehow able to get their hands on a 64yr old white dude......there truly is no hope.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
OK. But isn't that sort of chasing a ghost?

If we could systematically eradicate every kind of SA weapon people are modifying today, what's to stop somebody intent on doing something like this from modifying a different weapon that didn't make the list? Or how about this brave new world of 3D printing?

My point here is that I don't think we should ever put too much faith in bans on this or that object to prevent these sorts of evil acts -- and I say that as somebody who doesn't have the first problem with some kinds of firearms prohibitions. After all, just because bans aren't likely to do much is no particular argument against such bans.

As tempting as it is to say that we should be focused more on early detection of Stephen Paddocks, his brother said this was out of character for him. I mean, I know some people that, if I woke up one day and read that they'd shot up a concert, I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I imagine we all do.

That's why my first thought at this particular incident (and I don't always feel this way) is that I'm not sure anything could've been done in terms of law and policy that would've prevented it.

But again, those threats aren't eliminated by keeping guns and are only multiplied. Eliminating the sale and opportunity to obtain more DOES help. It will not eliminate and we already came to that agreement. This isn't ever going to be a battle of how to do we stop it forever. The conversation is how do we limit the damage the most.

I watched the video and the volume of rounds was disturbing. I don’t know what a battle field sounds like, but that’s what I would imagine it to sound like.

I haven't heard the shots so I honestly couldn't say. It sounds like he had an armory in his room so he could've used all kinds of them.

Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read the story on MSNBC quoting the brother of the shooter saying there were no warning signs. Yeah, no warning signs OTHER THAN THE HUGE ARSENAL OF AUTOMATIC WEAPONS BUILT EXPLICITLY TO KILL THE MOST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE IN THE SHORTEST AMOUNT OF TIME HE COLLECTED.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT