ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas shooting: 50 people killed in Mandalay Bay attack

If ISIS was somehow able to get their hands on a 64yr old white dude......there truly is no hope.
Seems implausible I suppose (but then again we shouldn't assume that 'white' people are incapable of joining a particular religion), but 'responsible' news media are saying that ISIS did claim credit.

If God were going to answer to anyone's prayers, wouldn't he have stopped the shooter in the first place?

If people haven't figured out there isn't a god by now, then god help them! No god would allow such vicious acts of violence, nor would this god inflict children with terminal cancer.

Pfft. I suspect ISIS would claim credit for Harvey, Irma, and Maria if they thought people might buy it.
Sure, but have they done so in the past? Has "ISIS" (whatever that means in this context) claimed "credit" in the past for events "they" had no hand in?

I'm not pushing this; I'm just sharing. Sharing probably isn't the best approach in these early hours.

1) Gun nuts will say, "It's useless to ban assualt rifles because the bad guys will still get them" will then turn around and say ban pot even though laws don't stop people from getting that..

2) How long before Trump makes himself to be the victim in all of this?

Seems implausible I suppose (but then again we shouldn't assume that 'white' people are incapable of joining a particular religion), but 'responsible' news media are saying that ISIS did claim credit.

Kinda meaningless right now, considering ISIS claims credit for virtually everything.

Sure, but have they done so in the past? Has "ISIS" (whatever that means in this context) claimed "credit" in the past for events "they" had no hand in?

Yes, they have. A simpler example is claiming credit for a plot, simply because the nut job read some of their literature, when they weren't directly involved in the planning and execution.

But again, those threats aren't eliminated by keeping guns and are only multiplied. Eliminating the sale and opportunity to obtain more DOES help. It will not eliminate and we already came to that agreement. This isn't ever going to be a battle of how to do we stop it forever. The conversation is how do we limit the damage the most.

Well, I agree -- and I realize that we should never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

This is why I said that I've long favored bans on anything that clearly facilitates mass murder -- like high-capacity magazines (as one example). I'm generally sympathetic to the arguments of gun-rights advocates. But I've never seen any persuasive argument that high-capacity magazines should be legal -- even if, as is the case with all weapons, the vast majority of them will never be used in the commission of a criminal act.

What I'm saying is that, although I'm a proponent of toughening up some of our gun laws, my expectations are very tempered on just what kind of effect they might have in preventing (or reducing) senseless acts like this one. Hopefully, we might be able to reduce the number of victims at a particular incident, anyway.

Sounds like the narrative hadn't yet made it to him. The right-wingers I know are all over social media pointing out that this guy 'liked' a lot of anti-Trump facebook groups. He wasn't a Muslim, but they've already tailored the message so that they can channel their alternating hate and prayers in a focused manner.

Coming up on Fox, more info on the anti-Trump man Stephen Paddock...

Coming up next, our expert panel discusses anti-Trump man Stephen Paddock. Was he a Bernie supporter?!?!?!?!?!?

Fox “News” exclusive: just how anti-Trump was the anti-Trump Stephen Paddock?

Fox “News” Special Report: Does being anti-Trump increase your likelihood of taking innocent life?

I watched the video and the volume of rounds was disturbing. I don’t know what a battle field sounds like, but that’s what I would imagine it to sound like.

Sounded to me like someone unloading a machine gun at a range. Not an expert, but generally I don't believe it's standard practice to unload that many shots on a battle field in a single volley as you will waste all of your ammunition.

Of course we shouldn't assume that white people couldn't be radicalized by religion. I remember the Branch Davidians and Heaven's Gate quite well. The vast majority of Jim Jones' victims were black. Radicalization knows no race.

And I'd say it's very possible that a white middle-aged American man could buy into radical Islamism, too. But I don't think it would've come out of nowhere. They've already interviewed his brother and he's as shocked as anybody. I imagine, if he'd have been radicalized (by ISIS or anybody else), his brother would've known something was afoot.

Last edited:
Of course we shouldn't assume that white people couldn't be radicalized by religion. I remember the Branch Davidians and Heaven's Gate quite well. The vast majority of Jim Jones' victims were black. Radicalization knows know race.

And I'd say it's very possible that a white middle-aged American man could buy into radical Islamism, too. But I don't think it would've come out of nowhere. They've already interviewed his brother and he's as shocked as anybody. I imagine, if he'd have been radicalized (by ISIS or anybody else), his brother would've known something was afoot.

I'll speculate that the woman whose ID he possessed recently dumped him, and he jumped the shark.

Last edited:
Every American should have access to these, amirite????

GettyImages-505740626.jpg

But why stop at that, when you can have this!!!

m1a1_5.jpg

Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read the story on MSNBC quoting the brother of the shooter saying there were no warning signs. Yeah, no warning signs OTHER THAN THE HUGE ARSENAL OF AUTOMATIC WEAPONS BUILT EXPLICITLY TO KILL THE MOST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE IN THE SHORTEST AMOUNT OF TIME HE COLLECTED.
Again my question: what does the ATF do?

Pres. Trump is going to have a press conference shortly. Here's a multiple choice question on what he will say:
1) It's Hilary's fault
2) It's Obama's fault
3) LeBron james' fault
4) All of the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
Pres. Trump is going to have a press conference shortly. Here's a multiple choice question on What will he say?
1) It's Hilary's fault
2) It's Obama's fault
3) LeBron james' fault
4) All of the above.

5. Radical Islamic Terrorists fault

If people are using already banned firearms then it seems logical that they need to either, (a) double-secret ban them, or maybe (b) ban other weapons that weren't used.

Neither would accomplish anything, but then that's not really the point.

The real problem is that the entire crowd wasn't armed. Surely, that would have minimized casualties. Someone would have taken out the bad guy on the 32nd floor from the ground concert. It's the same reason that school children should be armed.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
If people are using already banned firearms then it seems logical that they need to either, (a) double-secret ban them, or maybe (b) ban other weapons that weren't used.

Yeah that's true. The guns they used weren't bought legally and THEN modified. They were banned and somehow fell onto their lap.

The real problem is that the entire crowd wasn't armed. Surely, that would have minimized casualties. Someone would have taken out the bad guy on the 32nd floor from the ground concert. It's the same reason that school children should be armed.

You laugh but I was amazing at Hogan's Alley. I'd have got him!

Reactions: toastedbread

Being flippant about this serves no purpose.

FTR, I'm sympathetic to the notion that, in all likelihood, Paddock used weapons that are already banned. But we should also remember that this is merely one incident. Sadly, when I look at the list of deadliest shooting incidents in American history, I remember the majority of those on the list. In other words, it doesn't seem much of a stretch to say that we're seeing more mass shootings than we did in the past. I'm not going to go search for scientific evidence to back that up right now -- but it seems safe to assume.

So....this one was done with automatic weapons. Perhaps he modified legal weapons to achieve this. We'll find out. But I don't think it makes much sense to formulate policy on a single incident. It seems reasonable to say that weapons of mass murder -- whether presently legal or illegal -- have proliferated to a point where it's pretty easy for somebody so inclined to pull it off.

And I think we need to examine what can be done to make that less so.

Reactions: toastedbread
I’d be shocked if this were true. The volume of rounds means it is likely belt-fed. Modifying an AR and then having a high volume drum is in my opinion the least likely scenario.

I have seen discussions that the rate of fire tends to change during the shooting. They said there are apparently mods you can make to the grip and trigger area that uses the gun's recoil to increase the ROF so that it is similar to a fully auto weapon. However, changes to the shooter's grip while firing would increase or decrease the ROF accordingly.

He also had multiple rifles. If he had them all drum fed and fixed with this type of modification it is possible that he could have done this without a fully automatic belt fed weapon.

Last edited:
Again, I don't know anyone personally that I believe isn't a responsible gun owner. 99.9% of them are. That's why this battle is such a hard one to fight. We just have to collectively come together and figure out what we think as a country can help us keep the crazy f*ckers from getting their hands on these things. So it's not guns are good, guns are bad. It's how can we defend ourselves vs these nut cases. We're all on the same page and want the same outcome (unlike other political battles), we just have different methods of which can help us achieve it. There just doesn't seem to be a better answer than coming together to shut them down.
Everyone is a responsible gun owner until they aren't. For whatever reason, a child gets a hold of one, a responsible teenager that has had gun training suddenly decides to use his to shoot up a school, a guy's wife leaves him and he loses it. Someone is cleaning a gun and it goes off. We read these stories daily. I don't know the answer, but there's no question it's way past time for a discussion. We have the ISIS discussion constantly, but are afraid to have this one, due to the power of the NRA.

I don't know the answer, but there's no question it's way past time for a discussion. We have the ISIS discussion constantly, but are afraid to have this one, due to the power of the NRA.

What does this even mean? You sound like these NFL guys -- we need to have a discussion....we need to have a discussion. As if such a thing is going to end police-involved shootings. Oh well, at least we discussed it....we've got that going for us.

We have discussions all the time. Those of us who post at the WC are having one right now, in fact. And I'm pretty sure we're far from the only ones.

The lack of discussions isn't the problem. The lack of plausible solutions is.

I have seen discussions that the rate of fire tends to change during the shooting. They said there are apparently mods you can make to the grip and trigger area that uses the gun's recoil to increase the ROF so that it is similar to a fully auto weapon. However, changes to the shooter's grip while firing would increase or decrease the ROF accordingly.

He also had multiple rifles. If he had them all drum fed and fixed with this type of modification it is possible that he could have done this without a fully automatic belt fed weapon.
He would need to be a hell of a gunsmith.

Reactions: MrBing
What does this even mean? You sound like these NFL guys -- we need to have a discussion....we need to have a discussion. As if such a thing is going to end police-involved shootings. Oh well, at least we discussed it....we've got that going for us.

We have discussions all the time. Those of us who post at the WC are having one right now, in fact. And I'm pretty sure we're far from the only ones.

The lack of discussions isn't the problem. The lack of plausible solutions is.

NFL guys? Really? You sounds like these red hat wearing guys. Asking for a discussion is the nicest way of bringing irrational people to the table to have an obvious conversation. The answer here is DEFINITELY not to stand still. So to just say "the lack of plausible solutions" is an argument someone makes when they themselves have no solution. We on the other hand are providing one. We used your solution and it hasn't worked. It's time to try the other sides solution....

I listened to the audio with my eyes closed and pictured myself back on a range. It’s definitely a belt fed weapon and sounds small caliber (5.56mm). My guess is either an M249 (or replica) or a modified M16/AR.
Listening to it on the radio took me right back to a very bad day in Iraq. It was definitely automatic fire and probably small caliber.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT