ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago shooting: Police officer among four killed after gunman goes on rampage in Mercy Hospital

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
$

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...test-update-shot-victims-police-a8642171.html

At least four people have died – one of them a police officer – after a gunman opened fire inside a Chicago hospital, officials said.

Officers rushed to the Mercy Hospital amid reports of multiple casualties after a suspect entered the facility on the city’s South Side and started firing. The 32-year-old suspect was killed during the incident, according to CNN, although it was not immediately clear if he had taken his own life or was shot by police. Some unconfirmed reports said his primary target was his ex-fiancee.

Adding in a different story, there is often a suggestion that people trained in guns never make mistakes with their guns. That is why we should let teachers carry.

Over 12 years, air marshals have had 200 gun mishaps. I guess it is possible air marshals never receive any training but that seems unlikely. Or, if we did something like arm teachers there would be an incredibly high number of loaded guns found laying around in schools.

Adding in a different story, there is often a suggestion that people trained in guns never make mistakes with their guns. That is why we should let teachers carry.

Over 12 years, air marshals have had 200 gun mishaps. I guess it is possible air marshals never receive any training but that seems unlikely. Or, if we did something like arm teachers there would be an incredibly high number of loaded guns found laying around in schools.
I don’t recall anyone ever suggesting that people trained to handle guns never make mistakes. If anyone ever has than that person is likely ignorant about guns. Isn’t suggesting that people make that argument and then arguing against it a classic straw man argument?

I don’t recall anyone ever suggesting that people trained to handle guns never make mistakes. If anyone ever has than that person is likely ignorant about guns. Isn’t suggesting that people make that argument and then arguing against it a classic straw man argument?

Have you not seen the discussions here? People do not so boldly say that, but there is a very strong suggestion that gun aficionados are completely safe, that guns in stadiums and teachers with guns have no drawbacks.

Have you ever seen anyone say they realize that kids WILL die from a teacher's gun but they still support arming teachers? At no point in those discussions have I seen a gun owner admit that is an absolute certainty. So there is a logical conclusion to draw, gun owners largely believe they are 100% perfect.

And we have had this similar discussion so I will add my "except Aloha" exception. But i will ask if you have ever seen someone like Ladoga admit to the possibility of fallibility.

Edit - infallibility to fallibility.

Have you not seen the discussions here? People do not so boldly say that, but there is a very strong suggestion that gun aficionados are completely safe, that guns in stadiums and teachers with guns have no drawbacks.

Have you ever seen anyone say they realize that kids WILL die from a teacher's gun but they still support arming teachers? At no point in those discussions have I seen a gun owner admit that is an absolute certainty. So there is a logical conclusion to draw, gun owners largely believe they are 100% perfect.

And we have had this similar discussion so I will add my "except Aloha" exception. But i will ask if you have ever seen someone like Ladoga admit to the possibility of fallibility.

Edit - infallibility to fallibility.
Many times, of course, and I don’t recall anyone ever saying a gun is completely safe if the owner is trained. One of the first rules of gun training is to never consider a gun completely safe. I know I’ve never said guns are completely safe although I support the right to own one. Others can speak for themselves, but it seems to me you’re arguing against an argument that hasn’t been made because I don’t recall anyone making it.

Many times, of course, and I don’t recall anyone ever saying a gun is completely safe if the owner is trained. One of the first rules of gun training is to never consider a gun completely safe. I know I’ve never said guns are completely safe although I support the right to own one. Others can speak for themselves, but it seems to me you’re arguing against an argument that hasn’t been made because I don’t recall anyone making it.

Let me ask the people here who support guns in schools, and like Ladoga once did, guns in stadiums, this question. How many Americans will die from guns legally brought into those locations and mishandled in some way?

The shooting was the result of an enraged man shooting his ex fiance. The first person killed was Dr. Tamara O'Neal.
dr-tamara-oneil.jpg

O'Neal, an emergency room doctor, broke off an engagement with the suspect in September, said Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Jackson.

Hospital officials said O'Neal, a two-year Mercy resident and 2016 University of Illinois College of Medicine grad, was deeply religious and loved going to her church, where she led the choir, according to the Chicago Tribune.

"That was her one thing she wanted ... to be able to go to church on Sunday," Emergency Department director Patrick Connor said at an emotional news conference.

Some colleagues paid tribute to O'Neal on Twitter.

"I knew her, trained with her, saved lives with her and tonight, tried to save her life," Dr. John Purakal wrote. "Tonight, I broke down in front of my coworkers when we lost her, and tonight I held hands with her mother in prayer. Tonight, we lost a beautiful, resilient, passionate doc. Keep singing, TO."​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT