ADVERTISEMENT

Lander will break out next season

What's breakout ?
Averaging 7 pts ..Or 12 pts..
I'll say he's closer to 7 pts
so the over under at 9.5. Wanna put money on that? Or you gonna ghost me like the archie firing bet :). You know I am not letting that die until you say I was right. Just wanna hear, "Ok, you were right". And it will be over!!

The strawman argument is yours. Under proper guidance, getting stronger is always going to be an aid, and won't "slow you down" or hurt your shooting. That's thinking from the 70s when guys were smoking cigarettes between sets and just seeing how much they could bench press. I'd wager every guy Baylor has got stronger and quicker if they've been there at least 2 years. Now, strength training is incorporated into flexibility and movement with bball specific drills, it's not about "slinging iron" anymore, although they are doing that too!

You are 100% correct! I credit summer football conditioning and weight training and continuing after the season to my freshman track success. I was able to compete in the 100 m for the first time. I wasn't good in the 8th grade 100 m and ran the 200 and 400 due to slow starts out of the blocks. The next year after training, I could feel a big change and felt like I was exploding out of the blocks.

No way to compare what my high school had in the 80's to what IU has today. Lander didn't have a typical summer training period last year. He should this year with another year of maturity. He is a long way from looking like Baylor's guards. His "frame" is no different or less capable of adding strength than any other kid his size. A more explosive first step and lift off the floor will improve his game. One thing it won't do is slow him down.

Reactions: kkott
I actually was watching Steph the other day and noticed his arms, and was like damn he filled out.. I mean night and day from college.

The other thing people need to remember is this dudes nuts have not fully dropped. I mean how did people not notice his face looked like a baby? Do people not remember that stage in life or need a refresher? I thought they would understand watching transformations happen every single year. A lot of kids dont fully develop until 19-20. Lander is 10000000% still going through puberty. This offseason we should see a huge growth in body mass.

Mello Ball is a great example of someone completely filling out over the same time frame.

We are retaining Stiletto's for now I believe..... he does not play in that department. I mean look at Robs hulk hogan ass.

I will die on this hill, but most likely be saying i told you ****ers so in 6 months.

I hope you're right and it's way too early to judge but....I've got the words of Nick Baumgart still in my head.

He said Lander had one great AAU weekend and then 247 pumped him way over what he should be.

Then watching him last year, especially compared to someone he was lined up with in Curbelo, they were a galaxy apart last year.

Anyway that's where the Xavier Johnson pick up comes into play. He's a proven pg.

If Lander blossoms than F yeah! If he doesn't, we have Xavier.

Same thing with Rob. I'm curious how he plays with more freedom. If Rob is a different player, f yeah! If he's not, we have Xavier.

so the over under at 9.5. Wanna put money on that? Or you gonna ghost me like the archie firing bet :). You know I am not letting that die until you say I was right. Just wanna hear, "Ok, you were right". And it will be over!!
I wouldn't bet against IU or an IU player as I want them all to succeed, but I doubt he gets above 9.5ppg. You gotta think about Parker Stewart and Johnson both scoring too.... and CMW is saying he's not done, plus if we actually do get some good shooting and spacing, it should make it easier for TJD to score. I think you're a year early on the 9.5, but would be great to see.

I think we’ll all be pleasantly surprised. I don’t know about breakout but I think it’ll be significant improvement.

Last year should’ve been a humbling lesson and I expect him to be one of the hardest workers on the team this offseason. S

Coherent thought? It seems like everything I was trying to tell you about Archie turned out to be true. You should probably be thanking me for the education.
Lol

I’ll take the under. I have never lost a forum wager so govern yourself accordingly. ;)

so why did he always disappear during the biggest games?
I guess you're remembering a specific game or 2, but they tied or won the B10 each of his last 2 years and his last year he was POY and averaged about 19 and 7.5apg, while shooting 50/40/85% ? Wish we could've had guys "disappear" like that over the last several years!

You are 100% correct! I credit summer football conditioning and weight training and continuing after the season to my freshman track success. I was able to compete in the 100 m for the first time. I wasn't good in the 8th grade 100 m and ran the 200 and 400 due to slow starts out of the blocks. The next year after training, I could feel a big change and felt like I was exploding out of the blocks.

No way to compare what my high school had in the 80's to what IU has today. Lander didn't have a typical summer training period last year. He should this year with another year of maturity. He is a long way from looking like Baylor's guards. His "frame" is no different or less capable of adding strength than any other kid his size. A more explosive first step and lift off the floor will improve his game. One thing it won't do is slow him down.
If you were in high school in the 80's I'd like to see you explode out of the blocks now... LOL.... I graduated in '89 and my "explosions" wouldn't light a firecracker anymore

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I think we’ll all be pleasantly surprised. I don’t know about breakout but I think it’ll be significant improvement.

Last year should’ve been a humbling lesson and I expect him to be one of the hardest workers on the team this offseason. S

Coherent thought? It seems like everything I was trying to tell you about Archie turned out to be true. You should probably be thanking me for the education.
You just had to turn a compliment into a bit&$ session.

If you were in high school in the 80's I'd like to see you explode out of the blocks now... LOL.... I graduated in '89 and my "explosions" wouldn't light a firecracker anymore
The only explosion I can really count on these days is the morning after eating really spicy food the evening before.

Reactions: Seyton

Weight training will definitely screw up your shot, but not when you do the same thing consistently. Unless they are continually pushing them to do more, they probably need just a few day to get readjusted. It will F you up for the first few days, , feels like shooting a ping pong ball

Weight training will definitely screw up your shot, but not when you do the same thing consistently. Unless they are continually pushing them to do more, they probably need just a few day to get readjusted. It will F you up for the first few days, , feels like shooting a ping pong ball
Again, you're going back to your experience from 20+ years ago. They are doing bball specific drills and understand their shot will change and adjust for it as part of their training. Could it affect someone's shot short term, maybe up to a day after lifting: possibly, but they are accounting for this and will have them doing the proper exercises with the proper timing. No one is going to have them maxing out on weights and then running out into a game in the next day.

Again, you're going back to your experience from 20+ years ago. They are doing bball specific drills and understand their shot will change and adjust for it as part of their training. Could it affect someone's shot short term, maybe up to a day after lifting: possibly, but they are accounting for this and will have them doing the proper exercises with the proper timing. No one is going to have them maxing out on weights and then running out into a game in the next day.
Science is hard.😐

anything that adds tightness is not good for shooting imo.

bulking up without being tighter isn't easy.

that said, the 3 golfers i've seen change their bodies the most with strength training are Tiger, Rory, and DeChambeau.

Tiger and Rory both got worse, and had less range of motion which is paramount in golf.

the verdict is still out on whether DeChambeau's body remake is a plus or negative for his golf, but to date i'm not a fan of his decision to do what he did, and think the potential downside of it is far greater than the potential upside.

that said, the 3 golfers i've seen change their bodies the most with strength training are Tiger, Rory, and DeChambeau.

Tiger and Rory both got worse, and had less range of motion which is paramount in golf.

the verdict is still out on whether DeChambeau's body remake is a plus or negative for his golf, but to date i'm not a fan of his decision to do what he did, and think the potential downside of it is far greater than the potential upside.
Could it be that Tigers injuries played a part in his decline? Not sure Rory is a good argument. He’s not far off his average and earnings.

yes, it's your (uninformed) opinion. G grief, folks, do a little research. 95% of all NBA players are doing these types of exercises and drills, as are most PGA golfers. There's too much $$ involved. JT, DJ, Spieth, Horschel, Koepka and most others. Even if they're not lifting weights or strengthening, most golfers are doing range of motion, balance and flexibility drills.

Could it be that Tigers injuries played a part in his decline? Not sure Rory is a good argument. He’s not far off his average and earnings.
It's a totally unsupported argument. The poster just threw all that out without anything whatsoever to support his assertions. Tiger Woods started extensive weight training at 21 and he had all but four of his tournament wins (one of them the '97 Masters) after that. Woods himself says the only part of his conditioning routine he regrets is running so much and he thinks that led to his injuries as he got older. Also, how could anyone ever say that he "got worse" when he was the best golfer in the world for 13 consecutive years following the start of his extensive weight training. DeChambeau clearly got better after his extensive weight training in some ways (distance mostly) and ranks in the top 6 golfers in the world. Rory is in a bit of a slump, for him, this year, but he's still in the top 15 in the rankings and he finished last year at 4 - which was also after his years of weight training, which I assume he's continuing. The poster's entire argument is nonsensical - like his posting style. ;)

Last edited:
yes, it's your (uninformed) opinion. G grief, folks, do a little research. 95% of all NBA players are doing these types of exercises and drills, as are most PGA golfers. There's too much $$ involved. JT, DJ, Spieth, Horschel, Koepka and most others. Even if they're not lifting weights or strengthening, most golfers are doing range of motion, balance and flexibility drills.
He made every bit of that up. Today's golfers are probably better overall than they've ever been and when you watch a tournament today you don't see many out of shape guys like we used to see. Better conditioning is a major factor in that.

95% of all NBA players are doing these types of exercises and drills,
*100%

*NBA, NCAA, and every pro in the world.

It's not just weight lifting, it's drills that improve conditioning, coordination, flexibility and balance which enhances quickness and explosiveness. Which results in fewer injuries, better motor, and the ability to play through contact.

These guys are stuck in the 70's ..

Last edited:
Most likely if we tried, something would explode... Achilles.... hamstring... something!
I was asked to play in a coed softball league by my wife's friend. I had a new injury every week. That is when I knew it was time to hang up my cleats for good.

If that was a live line it'd be destroyed down to 3 or 4 ppg in a matter of minutes in my opinion.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13

It's a totally unsupported argument. The poster just threw all that out without anything whatsoever to support his assertions. Tiger Woods started extensive weight training at 21 and he had all but four of his tournament wins (one of them the '97 Masters) after that. Woods himself says the only part of his conditioning routine he regrets is running so much and he thinks that led to his injuries as he got older. Also, how could anyone ever say that he "got worse" when he was the best golfer in the world for 13 consecutive years following the start of his extensive weight training. DeChambeau clearly got better after his extensive weight training in some ways (distance mostly) and ranks in the top 6 golfers in the world. Rory is in a bit of a slump, for him, this year, but he's still in the top 15 in the rankings and he finished last year at 4 - which was also after his years of weight training, which I assume he's continuing. The poster's entire argument is nonsensical - like his posting style. ;)

Tiger might have worked out early in life, but his best yrs were before he bulked up.

as for Rory, i can see some loss of range of motion since he bulked up.

his range of motion is still fabulous, and still better than even most tour players, but imo he isn't the range of motion freak he once was pre bulking up.

i freeze framed his finish once when he was at his best, and his shoulders were squared 180 degrees from where his belt buckle was pointed.. i was like wtf!

my opinion if you wish, but i do pay attention.

and age takes away some flexibility even without bulking up.

as for Spieth, he started playing better recently after narrowing his stance a tad.

the less range of motion one has, the less wide their stance can be, and he just doesn't have the range of motion to have as wide a stance as he was trying to get away with imo.

as for Bryson, like i said, the jury is still out on whether his body transformation will be a long term plus or minus, but i think he made a mistake, and i could see him backing off and even losing weight in the future.

people forget he was playing at an elite level almost as soon as he hit the tour.. it didn't just start this past yr. (i first saw him winning the NCAA individual championship).

as for his added distance, hard to tell if bulking up aided that, or if it's mostly due to his swinging so much harder than he used to. (he's gone full blown Happy Gilmore).

carrying that much trunk weight this young could become an issue later.. i'd hate to see him go full Craig Stadler in the next 10 yrs.

i've heard Fred Couples was double jointed, which helped with his ridiculous range of motion.

as for bball players, you guys want to cheat and qualify everything by saying work out but still keep all your touch and flexibility, but again, keeping all your touch and range of motion is difficult to do putting on a lot of muscle.

i'm not sure just how much weight training pro bball players do once in the pros.

they work out no doubt, but not sure how much is bulking up with strength training.

as i said a while back, i think Rob P's shot would benefit by the ball feeling a little heavier in his hands, but that's just my opinion.

and for guys not making a great free throw percentage, obviously strength isn't the issue. (i do have some theories though on shooting, and hand range of motion).

Last edited:
Tiger might have worked out early in life, but his best yrs were before he bulked up.

as for Rory, i can see some loss of range of motion since he bulked up.

his range of motion is still fabulous, and still better than even most tour players, but imo he isn't the range of motion freak he once was pre bulking up.

i freeze framed his finish once when he was at his best, and his shoulders were squared 180 degrees from where his belt buckle was pointed.. i was like wtf!

my opinion if you wish, but i do pay attention.

and age takes away some flexibility even without bulking up.

as for Spieth, he started playing better recently after narrowing his stance a tad.

the less range of motion one has, the less wide their stance can be, and he just doesn't have the range of motion to have as wide a stance as he was trying to get away with imo.

as for Bryson, like i said, the jury is still out on whether his body transformation will be a long term plus or minus, but i think he made a mistake, and i could see him backing off and even losing weight in the future.

people forget he was playing at an elite level almost as soon as he hit the tour.. it didn't just start this past yr. (i first saw him winning the NCAA individual championship).

as for his added distance, hard to tell if bulking up aided that, or if it's mostly due to his swinging so much harder than he used to. (he's gone full blown Happy Gilmore).

carrying that much trunk weight this young could become an issue later.. i'd hate to see him go full Craig Stadler in the next 10 yrs.

i've heard Fred Couples was double jointed, which helped with his ridiculous range of motion.

as for bball players, you guys want to cheat and qualify everything by saying work out but still keep all your touch and flexibility, but again, keeping all your touch and range of motion is difficult to do putting on a lot of muscle.

i'm not sure just how much weight training pro bball players do once in the pros.

they work out no doubt, but not sure how much is bulking up with strength training.

as i said a while back, i think Rob P's shot would benefit by the ball feeling a little heavier in his hands, but that's just my opinion.

and for guys not making a great free throw percentage, obviously strength isn't the issue. (i do have some theories though on shooting, and hand range of motion).
I only read your first line and it's wrong. It's 100% wrong. If you weren't wrong you could link to something proving it, but you can't. Tiger's gotten older and is past his prime, but he won the vast majority of his tournaments after he started lifting extensively. It's also not like he ever became a body builder.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHAII
I only read your first line and it's wrong. It's 100% wrong. If you weren't wrong you could link to something proving it, but you can't. Tiger's gotten older and is past his prime, but he won the vast majority of his tournaments after he started lifting extensively. It's also not like he ever became a body builder.

Tiger's best yrs were before he really bulked up, so you're just fos. (Tiger slam was 2000-2001).

and he did become a body builder.

so the over under at 9.5. Wanna put money on that? Or you gonna ghost me like the archie firing bet :). You know I am not letting that die until you say I was right. Just wanna hear, "Ok, you were right". And it will be over!
You were right.. Doesn't flip me out the lest..
I'll stay with the Lander under 9 or per game..
No bet .
I'd like to see him succeed..Still think he's a Jr before we go ok..He can ball..

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
You were right.. Doesn't flip me out the lest..
I'll stay with the Lander under 9 or per game..
No bet .
I'd like to see him succeed..Still think he's a Jr before we go ok..He can ball..

when the good players get slapped in the face like lander did in year one, they normally don’t play around in year two. If he is gonna be all big ten at some point, I think it will be obvious next year.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Tiger's best yrs were before he really bulked up, so you're just fos. (Tiger slam was 2000-2001).

and he did become a body builder.
You are 100 percent wrong. He had 10 more years ranked number one after that. You’re seriously out to lunch. Not the first time. You also don’t know what body building is. Learn to write like a serious person, please.

Last edited:
*100%

*NBA, NCAA, and every pro in the world.

It's not just weight lifting, it's drills that improve conditioning, coordination, flexibility and balance which enhances quickness and explosiveness. Which results in fewer injuries, better motor, and the ability to play through contact.

These guys are stuck in the 70's ..
Yeah, I think it's pretty much that too, but thought there might be a couple players who aren't committed. Heck, even if you watch the Last Dance, the 90's Bulls spent considerable time in the weight room. Strictly a case of folks inventing "facts" to try and support their beliefs. Probably guys who hated lifting back in the day and that's the excuse they used.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I sure hope he is better next year as he was frankly awful in just about every aspect of his game last year. I'm optimistic but also realistic, one doesn't go from being completely lost one season to a stud the next

The best hope lies in the new coaching staff. Archie's staff literally made players decline. Sure Romeo got drafted, but he was getting drafted likely higher than he did coming out of HS. TJD playing 3 years is a sign the coaching staff let him down enormously. Lander was unexplainably terrible for a lot of last year. He should be better next year, every returning player should be, but you'll know you have something in Woodson if he plays to his expected level next year.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
As witlessly as he largely had before? Was better chance of him playing well than you making an intelligible post but then that's still a bet one loses nine times of ten.

Imagine one of Lander's problems is/was nerves or some such - no one shoots that many airballs solely because of mechanics. Might also explain his reticence to drive to the rack. Expecting to see a different/better Player next Season.
He would have to greatly improve to get any playing time at all with Johnson and Rob in front of him. My guess is that he’s still at least a year away, which is ok, because he’s still so young.

Bulking up or getting stronger, older whatever is great but its the toughness intangible that is hardest to get out of these kids nowadays. Its the hardest thing to coach and maybe having a coach who was pushed like that can bring that out of him....will wait and see but am excited for him and rest of team to have that mentality

Bulking up or getting stronger, older whatever is great but its the toughness intangible that is hardest to get out of these kids nowadays. Its the hardest thing to coach and maybe having a coach who was pushed like that can bring that out of him....will wait and see but am excited for him and rest of team to have that mentality
Definitely have needed an infusion of toughness for a LONG time... well back into CTC's tenure. We've had a bunch of really nice kids, but not kids who would lay it all out to get a stop or a loose ball... or a win. I like what I'm reading about some of the kids CMW is recruiting and hopeful with his experience and Dane's that they can recruit tougher players and coax it out of some that are still here too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT