ADVERTISEMENT

Lander will break out next season

He now has an NBA coach and an assistant Fife, who helped develop Cassius Winston, a pg with about 1/2 the natural abilities of Land
I agree that he could. The entire team under performed, but Lander really did. Lander has great passing ability and has shown he can shoot in high school.

Reactions: YOTHN
How was he supposed to perform last year when the midget didn’t even put him in the game against Rutgers??

Reactions: Lucy01
He now has an NBA coach and an assistant Fife, who helped develop Cassius Winston, a pg with about 1/2 the natural abilities of Lander.
Lander needs to go to only two places this off season. The gym and the kitchen. That’s it. 10-15lbs of muscle would make a world of difference for him.

Reactions: MG80 and iulb
He looked a long way from a breakout season. Intimidated and under sized. Terrible shooting- I mean absolutely terrible. Couldn't finish. Couldn't penetrate. Looked like a high school kid out there. He looked 2-3 years away last season.

I'm more interested in seeing the development of Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo. Lander is talented, but i don't expect a lot from him next season.

He looked a long way from a breakout season. Intimidated and under sized. Terrible shooting- I mean absolutely terrible. Couldn't finish. Couldn't penetrate. Looked like a high school kid out there. He looked 2-3 years away last season.

I'm more interested in seeing the development of Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo. Lander is talented, but i don't expect a lot from him next season.
Lander kinda was a high school kid last season, or at least he should have been. A year behind on physical development than where he should have been as a college freshman.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
He now has an NBA coach and an assistant Fife, who helped develop Cassius Winston, a pg with about 1/2 the natural abilities of Lander.
I think your post highlights one of the main flaws in our recruiting over the last 15 years or so. Half the natural ability? Ha. Based on performance and play, I'll take Cassius Winston every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I didn't really like him, but that kid wanted; needed, to win. I'm beginning to think that's the most important "ability" we should be seeking in recruits. He also won a state title in HS... maybe something else we should be seeking out. And, he was a 4 star kid, so not without "natural" ability, but we better begin prioritizing competitiveness, leadership and winning attitude, however you quantify or measure that, going forward.

Last edited:
How was he supposed to perform last year when the midget didn’t even put him in the game against Rutgers??
As witlessly as he largely had before? Was better chance of him playing well than you making an intelligible post but then that's still a bet one loses nine times of ten.

Imagine one of Lander's problems is/was nerves or some such - no one shoots that many airballs solely because of mechanics. Might also explain his reticence to drive to the rack. Expecting to see a different/better Player next Season.

Lander needs to go to only two places this off season. The gym and the kitchen. That’s it. 10-15lbs of muscle would make a world of difference for him.

Muscle is good to have but in basketball, its incredibly overrated. Look at Illinois....Trent Frazier was 6'2 175 as a senior. Andre Curbelo is 6'1 175. Lander is 6'2 185. Those guys are great players and benefit from being incredibly quick. Sure he isn't backing people down but either is RP and he has plenty of muscle.

What Lander needs to do is really focus on how to:

1. Get comfortable shooting over taller defenders. An absolute must.
2. Effectively use screens with the ball in his hands.
3. Know how to move off the ball to get spacing before he gets the ball which allows him to dribble drive with his defenders momentum going the wrong direction. That will help him create his own shot and or get into the lane and create chaos.

He has the tools to be a incredibly good facilitator because he had some great pick and rolls periodically. A couple passes he made were something I haven't seen since Yogi was here. No matter the case, this all works only if he has defenders afraid of his shot. Its repeating fundamentals for him at the speed of the college game so he feels comfortable in his role that will allow him to blossom. I am certain he will come around but you could tell he was a little shell shocked at the length and speed of the game last year.

Muscle is good to have but in basketball, its incredibly overrated. Look at Illinois....Trent Frazier was 6'2 175 as a senior. Andre Curbelo is 6'1 175. Lander is 6'2 185. Those guys are great players and benefit from being incredibly quick. Sure he isn't backing people down but either is RP and he has plenty of muscle.

What Lander needs to do is really focus on how to:

1. Get comfortable shooting over taller defenders. An absolute must.
2. Effectively use screens with the ball in his hands.
3. Know how to move off the ball to get spacing before he gets the ball which allows him to dribble drive with his defenders momentum going the wrong direction. That will help him create his own shot and or get into the lane and create chaos.

He has the tools to be a incredibly good facilitator because he had some great pick and rolls periodically. A couple passes he made were something I haven't seen since Yogi was here. No matter the case, this all works only if he has defenders afraid of his shot. Its repeating fundamentals for him at the speed of the college game so he feels comfortable in his role that will allow him to blossom. I am certain he will come around but you could tell he was a little shell shocked at the length and speed of the game last year.
Incredibly overrated? Remind me again, how many of those guys played in the Final 4 this year? I know one team that did: Baylor, with grown-ass men who have been committed to strength training at almost every position. Done right, it makes you better in every way and less susceptible to injury... not at all overrated.

what everybody who faced Baylor in the tourney said:
current%20events.gif

Incredibly overrated? Remind me again, how many of those guys played in the Final 4 this year? I know one team that did: Baylor, with grown-ass men who have been committed to strength training at almost every position. Done right, it makes you better in every way and less susceptible to injury... not at all overrated.

what everybody who faced Baylor in the tourney said:
current%20events.gif

Oh so you must replicate Baylor to win the title? That is a strawman argument. I can name many other teams with PG's that weren't big and did just fine. Adding bulk muscle to a frame like Landers could possibly even slow him down but the idea that one HAS to add muscle to be a great player isn't true. It allows you the ability to do some things smaller players are unable to do but he can also do things stronger players may not be able to do.....such as be quicker.

Oh so you must replicate Baylor to win the title? That is a strawman argument. I can name many other teams with PG's that weren't big and did just fine. Adding bulk muscle to a frame like Landers could possibly even slow him down but the idea that one HAS to add muscle to be a great player isn't true. It allows you the ability to do some things smaller players are unable to do but he can also do things stronger players may not be able to do.....such as be quicker.
Not sure where you’re headed here, but it was obvious that KL was physically immature last year compared to just about anyone he faced. Getting bigger and stronger will only make him better, and it won’t negatively impact his quickness.

Wow a lot of negativity with Lander. He will be a very good player, lets just hope CAM was mostly the problem. Obviously he could get bigger, but he really sees the floor well and has incredible passing ability.
Him shooting probably a record air balls from behind the arch only tells me his head wasn't in the game. That could be blamed on CAM as well. Anyone on here that ever played basketball knows free throws are mostly mental too so I believe chemistry was not a strong point last year and could of won us a lot of games.

The strawman argument is yours. Under proper guidance, getting stronger is always going to be an aid, and won't "slow you down" or hurt your shooting. That's thinking from the 70s when guys were smoking cigarettes between sets and just seeing how much they could bench press. I'd wager every guy Baylor has got stronger and quicker if they've been there at least 2 years. Now, strength training is incorporated into flexibility and movement with bball specific drills, it's not about "slinging iron" anymore, although they are doing that too!

Last edited:
I think we’ll all be pleasantly surprised. I don’t know about breakout but I think it’ll be significant improvement.

Last year should’ve been a humbling lesson and I expect him to be one of the hardest workers on the team this offseason. Sky’s the limit.

That's because he had long sucked before that game which is why he didn't get minutes, and deservedly so. I'd rather Bybee had gotten his minutes at that point.

Lander simply saw the big picture last year. If he played well, it’s likely Archie is still the head coach. Instead, he intentionally played like hot garbage at times to make Archie look terrible.

CL is playing 3D chess, while the rest of us play checkers... that’s all.

• Haha
Reactions: TommyCracker
Lander simply saw the big picture last year. If he played well, it’s likely Archie is still the head coach. Instead, he intentionally played like hot garbage at times to make Archie look terrible.

KL?

Crown me!

• Haha
The strawman argument is yours. Under proper guidance, getting stronger is always going to be an aid, and won't "slow you down" or hurt your shooting. That's thinking from the 70s when guys were smoking cigarettes between sets and just seeing how much they could bench press. I'd wager every guy Baylor has got stronger and quicker if they've been there at least 2 years. Now, strength training is incorporated into flexibility and movement with bball specific drills, it's not about "slinging iron" anymore, although they are doing that too!

Lol You think some random Youtube clip proves a point? Its still a strawman argument as there have and still are many small stature guys who are great. Allen Iverson seemed to do pretty well, right?

Lol You think some random Youtube clip proves a point? Its still a strawman argument as there have and still are many small stature guys who are great. Allen Iverson seemed to do pretty well, right?
AI? He was a stud, but you're going back 10 years? There's nothing to prove, I know the types of strength workouts almost all NBA and college players are doing, so there is no argument, only illumination as I've heard others make mention that lifting weights can adversley affect your shooting. Could a smaller guy who doesn't workout as much as the "average" NBA or D1 college players be good? Sure. Would he be better with this type of strength training? No doubt.

I was just trying to illustrate to you how "strength" training has changed and is incorporated nowadays, and improves quickness and agility, not impedes it. Steph Curry is no Adonis, but I know his strength has improved tremendously since he came in the NBA, I've heard him talk about it a bunch, as has his quickness and his shooting isn't too bad either. Did Baylor's guys look slow or like poor shooters to you? Lander needs to get stronger, just to be on equal footing with opponents not to mention playing catchup. If he does make a big leap this year, strength training will play a big role and I'll wager his shooting improves a good bit too. Here, here's another for you, and I'm just showing Curry because he's such a great shooter who is also smaller and I know how much he works on strength and agility.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/stephen-curry-can-deadlift-400-pounds/

Last edited:
I think we’ll all be pleasantly surprised. I don’t know about breakout but I think it’ll be significant improvement.

Last year should’ve been a humbling lesson and I expect him to be one of the hardest workers on the team this offseason. Sky’s the limit.
Finally a coherent thought. The Archie offense was terrible for free flow type players. I expect Phin and Lander to be a lot better this coming season. I just think our guards never got a rhythm. Here’s to a better outlook.

10-15lbs of lean muscle added on to a 6’1”-6’2” frame should not have a negative impact on quickness. It should also improve overall durability and aerobic capacity.

Wow a lot of negativity with Lander. He will be a very good player, lets just hope CAM was mostly the problem. Obviously he could get bigger, but he really sees the floor well and has incredible passing ability.
Him shooting probably a record air balls from behind the arch only tells me his head wasn't in the game. That could be blamed on CAM as well. Anyone on here that ever played basketball knows free throws are mostly mental too so I believe chemistry was not a strong point last year and could of won us a lot of games.
I was pleased he stayed so that we can see what he is capable of. He was physically not ready last season so with 15 lbs of lean muscle and some meaningful direction, we will find out soon enough.

Reactions: hoosier48
The thing also is that he would have just been a high school senior. I think he needs strength conditioning and technique teaching in shooting form. He is still a young guy.

I think your post highlights one of the main flaws in our recruiting over the last 15 years or so. Half the natural ability? Ha. Based on performance and play, I'll take Cassius Winston every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I didn't really like him, but that kid wanted; needed, to win. I'm beginning to think that's the most important "ability" we should be seeking in recruits. He also won a state title in HS... maybe something else we should be seeking out. And, he was a 4 star kid, so not without "natural" ability, but we better begin prioritizing competitiveness, leadership and winning attitude, however you quantify or measure that, going forward.
thank you the statement he made about winston made me want to reply but i figured someone that dumb is beyond help

No idea if that's the dumbest post you've ever made but it has to right up there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hoosier48

Last year should’ve been a humbling lesson and I expect him to be one of the hardest workers on the team this offseason. S
Finally a coherent thought. The Archie offense was terrible for free flow type players. I expect Phin and Lander to be a lot better this coming season. I just think our guards never got a rhythm. Here’s to a better outlook.
Coherent thought? It seems like everything I was trying to tell you about Archie turned out to be true. You should probably be thanking me for the education.

I think you are conflating strength training with “bulking up”. Allen inversion was a strong guy.

modern Strength training and dietary training can make you strong as hell without necessarily bulking up.

I sure hope he is better next year as he was frankly awful in just about every aspect of his game last year. I'm optimistic but also realistic, one doesn't go from being completely lost one season to a stud the next

AI? He was a stud, but you're going back 10 years? There's nothing to prove, I know the types of strength workouts almost all NBA and college players are doing, so there is no argument, only illumination as I've heard others make mention that lifting weights can adversley affect your shooting. Could a smaller guy who doesn't workout as much as the "average" NBA or D1 college players be good? Sure. Would he be better with this type of strength training? No doubt.

I was just trying to illustrate to you how "strength" training has changed and is incorporated nowadays, and improves quickness and agility, not impedes it. Steph Curry is no Adonis, but I know his strength has improved tremendously since he came in the NBA, I've heard him talk about it a bunch, as has his quickness and his shooting isn't too bad either. Did Baylor's guys look slow or like poor shooters to you? Lander needs to get stronger, just to be on equal footing with opponents not to mention playing catchup. If he does make a big leap this year, strength training will play a big role and I'll wager his shooting improves a good bit too. Here, here's another for you, and I'm just showing Curry because he's such a great shooter who is also smaller and I know how much we works on strength and agility.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/stephen-curry-can-deadlift-400-pounds/

I actually was watching Steph the other day and noticed his arms, and was like damn he filled out.. I mean night and day from college.

The other thing people need to remember is this dudes nuts have not fully dropped. I mean how did people not notice his face looked like a baby? Do people not remember that stage in life or need a refresher? I thought they would understand watching transformations happen every single year. A lot of kids dont fully develop until 19-20. Lander is 10000000% still going through puberty. This offseason we should see a huge growth in body mass.

Mello Ball is a great example of someone completely filling out over the same time frame.

We are retaining Stiletto's for now I believe..... he does not play in that department. I mean look at Robs hulk hogan ass.

I will die on this hill, but most likely be saying i told you ****ers so in 6 months.

ADVERTISEMENT