ADVERTISEMENT

Lander or Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Purdue vs MSU last night and was very impressed with Ivey. I think he could be up for Big Ten player of the year next year.

A few on here are looking desperately hard to highlight negative things about him... simply because he plays for Purdue. He had a block last night that was a game changer and a putback where he got 8” above Henry.

Any unbiased basketball fan/analysis sees how good Ivey is. Buckle up, he’s going to be a pain in our ass for the next 2-3 years. Hope our young bucks are up for the challenge.

I watched Purdue vs MSU last night and was very impressed with Ivey. I think he could be up for Big Ten player of the year next year.
11 points on 10 shots... truly impressive. He may be good down the road, but he’s currently just a chucker. Our fanbase would be eating him alive if he were putting up those numbers on our team. On par with Al Durham currently and significantly behind Armaan.

A few on here are looking desperately hard to highlight negative things about him... simply because he plays for Purdue. He had a block last night that was a game changer and a putback where he got 8” above Henry.

Any unbiased basketball fan/analysis sees how good Ivey is. Buckle up, he’s going to be a pain in our ass for the next 2-3 years. Hope our young bucks are up for the challenge.

He's an aggressive freshman with a lot of confidence that also takes some horrendous shots. The last thing IU needs right now is another guard barely shooting 30% from the field. I think everyone realizes that Ivey has a ton of potential down the road but he is an extremely inefficient player who takes bad shot after bad shot. Let Trey Galloway shoot 10x a game and I'm guessing he too is averaging ~8ppg.

11 points on 10 shots... truly impressive. He may be good down the road, but he’s currently just a chucker. Our fanbase would be eating him alive if he were putting up those numbers on our team. On par with Al Durham currently and significantly behind Armaan.

You either never watch or are incapable of making an objective, non biased assessment of any Purdue player. Ivey plays large when the game is on the line. I certainly think he has a lot of development to make with certain aspects of his game, but his ceiling is quite high. He does things you can not teach.

You either never watch or are incapable of making an objective, non biased assessment of any Purdue player. Ivey plays large when the game is on the line. I certainly think he has a lot of development to make with certain aspects of his game, but his ceiling is quite high. He does things you can not teach.

By the same token, he's also shot Purdue out of wins. Go back to the road game against Maryland. Took two ill-advised three's with Purdue clinging to a lead in the last 90 seconds and then committed an unnecessary reach in-foul off a putback that gave Maryland the winning free throws. Just last week he jacked two unnecessary three's early in the shot clock near the last TV timeout and Minnesota subsequently came back and won. I don't understand why one can't recognize that he has a ton of upside while also realizing he's a very inefficient player with a terrible shot selection? Both can and in the case, are true.

Reactions: mathboy
“Plays large with the game on the line”.... was he playing large down the stretch against Maryland and Minnesota? He hit some big shots against Ohio State, but that’s hardly consistently “playing large with the game on the line”. He’s an inefficient scorer who could be really good down the line.

By the same token, he's also shot Purdue out of wins. Go back to the road game against Maryland. Took two ill-advised three's with Purdue clinging to a lead in the last 90 seconds and then committed an unnecessary reach in-foul off a putback that gave Maryland the winning free throws. Just last week he jacked two unnecessary three's early in the shot clock near the last TV timeout and Minnesota subsequently came back and won. I don't understand why one can't recognize that he has a ton of upside while also realizing he's a very inefficient player with a terrible shot selection? Both can and in the case, are true.
He will learn. I love that Painter is letting the freshman learn through experience. Will pay off. I believe Ivy will be better than carsen when all is said and done.

He will learn. I love that Painter is letting the freshman learn through experience. Will pay off. I believe Ivy will be better than carsen when all is said and done.
Wow, heady praise. We'll see.

Lol always fun to read custodian holding on to his awful takes. Galloway over Ivey. Maybe 2% of IU fans think it, and 0% of everyone else.

Lander worst player in the big ten too. I can’t wait till he expands on that one next time I take a break.

It's bold, I know. I think he has everything carsen doesn't. Size and more athleticism. And he has the drive to get to carsen's level imo.

Carsen could shoot from half court....

If Ivey can shoot the 3 ball at 40% then I think your prediction is feasible....

But 19.3% is a long way off from being a ble to shoot from distance.

I think Ivey has the potential to be great but right now he is raw potential with a high ceiling.

Reactions: Bill4411

Come on. We’d be ecstatic and he’d be starting in front of Phinese.

Reactions: HOOOOOOOOOSERZ
Watching the game as I said (not reading the stat page), I was impressed with him because of his rebounding and defense. It seemed like when a big play was needed, he got the block or the rebound at crucial times.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
He’s 10x dynamic as either of those two stiffs. Your lack of basketball knowledge is evident here.
More dynamic than who? I wasn’t comparing Leal or Lander to Ivey. I was comparing him to RP. He has similar production to RP and Durham. He has a higher ceiling than both of those players, though.

You say Ivey is currently elite and question my basketball knowledge? LOL

Watching the game as I said (not reading the stat page), I was impressed with him because of his rebounding and defense. It seemed like when a big play was needed, he got the block or the rebound at crucial times.
I’ve watched every game Purdue has played this year as my wife is a Purdue grad. He’s a chucker. The stats confirm that.

He is just as likely to make a poor play in a critical situation as he is a good one. Go back and watch the end of the Maryland and Minnesota games.

I’ve watched every game Purdue has played this year as my wife is a Purdue grad. He’s a chucker. The stats confirm that.

He is just as likely to make a poor play in a critical situation as he is a good one. Go back and watch the end of the Maryland and Minnesota games.
Kind of why you want to build a team that doesn't rely on freshman though isn't it? Why I never have expectations. If furst and kaufman come in a redshirt next year, Purdue will still be really good.

You bring up those games, but you should also mention osu as it supports your argument. Maybe last night as well.

Gophers_Pitino_Oh_My_God.gif

Reactions: HOOOOOOOOOSERZ
Kind of why you want to build a team that doesn't rely on freshman though isn't it? Why I never have expectations. If furst and kaufman come in a redshirt next year, Purdue will still be really good.

You bring up those games, but you should also mention osu as it supports your argument. Maybe last night as well.
I did mention Ohio State earlier as a game where he came up big down the stretch. Last night was his typical inefficient night.

I agree with you. He hurt Purdue in both those games with bad decisions. It's become obvious that you don't think Ivey will be any good. I hope that's true against IU.

I agree with you. He hurt Purdue in both those games with bad decisions. It's become obvious that you don't think Ivey will be any good. I hope that's true against IU.
Where did I say that? He has a high ceiling and may be a really good player in the future. My point was that he isn’t a great player right now. Definitely not an elite player like Purdue fans think.

Wow! Franklin was once a freshman too. Look at those stats. I guess he’s the only freshman that gets better as a sophomore?
Ivey is already “elite” though, right? Shouldn’t he be better than sophomore Armaan Franklin? He’s not close.

No one thinks that. Everyone knows he needs to improve his shot selection and learn to play under control. But you'd have to be blind to not see that he is gonna be special.
@LowCut told us last week he was elite. There are literally people on your board saying he is the best player since Glen Robinson.

Lander should be a senior in high school. Lander will end up much better
Excuses don’t pay the bills! He can pass, he can’t shoot, he can’t guard anyone, dumb turnovers,who gave him his 5 star rating? His mother?

Last edited:
His last points were at the 8 min mark. That put them up 3. Sure it won them the game though lol.
There is more to basketball than scoring. I believe he went assist, block, transition assist in a 61 second period around the 2 minute mark.

There is more to basketball than scoring. I believe he went assist, block, transition assist in a 61 second period around the 2 minute mark.
His last assist came at the 4:45 mark. His last block came at 6:51.

In the final 2 min he had a turnover, two fouls, and a missed layup.
It's a shame Franklin didn't want to play with Newman and went to iu. He's turned into a solid player.
I would take Newman next to Franklin in a heartbeat. You have it wrong though. It wasn’t just Franklin that didn’t want to play with Newman. It was a mutual understanding by both players. That’s the reason IU stopped recruiting Newman after Franklin committed.

Ivey is very good. I doubt Archie would start him but he would be worthy of a starting position. I like the IU freshmen, but Ivey has performed at a higher level thus far in his college career. And I don’t see that changing during the duration of his Purdue career.

Reactions: Bill4411
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT