ADVERTISEMENT

Lander or Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those four will never see the court together and Painter will never go big like that.

They’ll always have at least one of:

Hunter Jr./Morton
Ivey
Newman/Stef
Kaufman/Gillis
Williams/Furst

Spacing will not be an issue. Painter will never not have 3 guards on the floor.

Thought Kaufman was sold on taking a more wing oriented role? I agree with your premise though. Kaufman is much more suited playing inside/out than on the perimeter. Will it happen that way though?

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I have no clue what Painter told Kaufman. And neither do you. If he sees himself as a 3, then they’ll experiment with that. But more than likely he’ll be playing the 4 with Furst at the 5. I’d be more worried about Archie trying to compare TKR with TJD. Yikes. No wonder IU was out last year. What a terrible comp.
Kaufman himself said that Painter promising use him at the 3 was one of the big reasons he chose to go there. So yes, we do know Painter told him that. So either Painter lied to him, or you were wrong and Painter will not always play 3 guards.

Juwan Morgan’s play style probably would have been a better comparison to make, but if he was saying he was going to use him like he does TJD along with more pick and pop (making him better than TJD), then that’s a pretty decent sell.

Kaufman himself said that Painter promising use him at the 3 was one of the big reasons he chose to go there. So yes, we do know Painter told him that. So either Painter lied to him, or you were wrong and Painter will not always play 3 guards.

Juwan Morgan’s play style probably would have been a better comparison to make, but if he was saying he was going to use him like he does TJD along with more pick and pop (making him better than TJD), then that’s a pretty decent sell.
Coaches say a lot in recruiting. The pitch was more oriented toward Kaufman can play along side Furst. We sold Caleb Swanigan on playing the 4 along side Isaac haas but he became a first team all American at the 5. Positions are what they are. They’re labels. Put your best 5 guys out there and that’s what painter plans on doing. Keep taking solace in the fact you think painter lied to the kid.

I have no clue what Painter told Kaufman. And neither do you. If he sees himself as a 3, then they’ll experiment with that. But more than likely he’ll be playing the 4 with Furst at the 5. I’d be more worried about Archie trying to compare TKR with TJD. Yikes. No wonder IU was out last year. What a terrible comp.
Maybe if you spent less time on both of the IU boards, you would know more about your own recruits.

““Based on the roster that they’re going to have when I’m there, that’s a big key,” Kaufman told the Courier-Journal. “I think based on some of the previous players that they’ve had like Vincent Edwards and Robbie Hummel, players that could have been a 4 but they played at a 3. The way that Coach (Matt) Painter likes to run his offense, and then for me, being a 3 maximizes my potential in not only my scoring, but playmaking.” - Trey Kaufman

Reactions: T.M.P.
Trevion Williams plays 25 mpg and is constantly in foul trouble. There's plenty of opportunity for Edey to play he just can't get on the floor. At 7'4 he's barely shooting 40% from the field and doesn't shoot outside 5 feet.
He's 18 and started playing basketball in October of 2017, so he is raw. I don't expect him to supplant a possible 1st team all league player when the idea originally was he was going to red-shirt; Haarms was expected to return at that point. Edey was terrible on defense at the beginning of the year but was scoring really well until coaches had time to game plan for him but if you have been watching his defense is rapidly improving. He looks like he just needs to get stronger to me until he is truly a major force on offense, too. A big guy that has a soft a touch as Zach at the free throw line is a rare animal.

I suppose you disagree with that assessment?

He's 18 and started playing basketball in October of 2017, so he is raw. I don't expect him to supplant a possible 1st team all league player when the idea originally was he was going to red-shirt; Haarms was expected to return at that point. Edey was terrible on defense at the beginning of the year but was scoring really well until coaches had time to game plan for him but if you have been watching his defense is rapidly improving. He looks like he just needs to get stronger to me until he is truly a major force on offense, too. A big guy that has a soft a touch as Zach at the free throw line is a rare animal.

I suppose you disagree with that assessment?

I don't disagree at all that he's been a pleasant surprise this year but don't agree with the premise that has rapidly progressing. He started out hot as could be but then teams finally had film on him and he's totally regressed to the mean. He's playing fine for a raw big, but he's hit a massive wall playing in the B10 and a good game against an undersized Northwestern team doesn't really change that. He's big and aggressive for a freshman and that is promising but absolutely terrible in defensive rotations and cannot handle quicker, more athletic players.

I think when all said and done he'll be in-between Haas and Haarms. I think he's more agile on his feet than Haarms and more explosive towards the rim but doesn't have the lateral quickness of Haarms to get out and really hedge and recover on ball screens.

Maybe if you spent less time on both of the IU boards, you would know more about your own recruits.

““Based on the roster that they’re going to have when I’m there, that’s a big key,” Kaufman told the Courier-Journal. “I think based on some of the previous players that they’ve had like Vincent Edwards and Robbie Hummel, players that could have been a 4 but they played at a 3. The way that Coach (Matt) Painter likes to run his offense, and then for me, being a 3 maximizes my potential in not only my scoring, but playmaking.” - Trey Kaufman

Robbie Hummel and Vince Edwards hmmm .... mainly played the 4 at Purdue. Thanks for that.

I don't disagree at all that he's been a pleasant surprise this year but don't agree with the premise that has rapidly progressing. He started out hot as could be but then teams finally had film on him and he's totally regressed to the mean. He's playing fine for a raw big, but he's hit a massive wall playing in the B10 and a good game against an undersized Northwestern team doesn't really change that. He's big and aggressive for a freshman and that is promising but absolutely terrible in defensive rotations and cannot handle quicker, more athletic players.

I think when all said and done he'll be in-between Haas and Haarms. I think he's more agile on his feet than Haarms and more explosive towards the rim but doesn't have the lateral quickness of Haarms to get out and really hedge and recover on ball screens.
I think he is a better athlete than you think but we'll need to revisit this in a couple of years. Some kids really improve and some don't. I remember Scott Martin was supposed to be the big recruit Purdue got from Valpo instead of Hummel but Hummel turned out to be the better of the two. I think Hummel was rated around 75 coming out of high school. Was he a great pro? No, but he was a great college player.

So you are telling me you are going to consider your 5 “freshman” as freshman next year too? No lol.

Eligibility wise they will all have a minimum of four years left. As for worrying about roster management, who seems to have been doing a better job of it?

Painter is doing a better job of recruiting over people, I agree.
That’s what good programs do. They build depth and promote competition. Good players aren’t afraid of competing with other good players. The “you’ll play all you want because we have nobody else” pitch isn’t always attractive to winners.

Reactions: BleedinGold
That’s what good programs do. They build depth and promote competition. Good players aren’t afraid of competing with other good players. The “you’ll play all you want because we have nobody else” pitch isn’t always attractive to winners.
If what you say is true, we shouldn’t see any transfers out of Purdue after this year.

If what you say is true, we shouldn’t see any transfers out of Purdue after this year.

In the era of free agency everyone will see player movement. It might not prove to be the pot of gold at the end of the the rainbow for players, but to quite Mel Gibson’s final quite from Braveheart, “FREEDOM!“ Just as we see happening in football, too many players will find that free agency is not free. Lots if players entering the portal, not so many finding a new place to call home.

Air ball from lander, Galloway looking timid. Par of the course from these IU freshman. At least Galloway is more efficient than Ivey!

Reactions: sigmaboiler
Now do the other 12 conference games. He scored double figures in 5 of his first 6 collegiate games, but has slowed since. Still a major surprise given most thought he was a project.
Surprised how few understand that guys like Edey help Purdue build quality depth, which translates to both how you practice as well as the competition for minutes. It’s what quality programs thrive on and one of the many elements that we‘re clearly missing. Edey, for all of his supposed ‘regression’, has performed better than any of our frosh, and his pathway seems abundantly clearer than it does for any of our new guys. It’s what coaching and leadership produces . . . or doesn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
Surprised how few understand that guys like Edey help Purdue build quality depth, which translates to both how you practice as well as the competition for minutes. It’s what quality programs thrive on and one of the many elements that we‘re clearly missing. Edey, for all of his supposed ‘regression’, has performed better than any of our frosh, and his pathway seems abundantly clearer than it does for any of our new guys. It’s what coaching and leadership produces . . . or doesn’t.

Huh? I said he was a very good complimentary piece and definitely a big surprise. I disagreed with the notion that he is rapidly progressing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Huh? I said he was a very good complimentary piece and definitely a big surprise. I disagreed with the notion that he is rapidly progressing. Nothing more, nothing less.
You said he had regressed. No one who has seen him play believes that.

Reactions: Bill4411
You said he had regressed. No one who has seen him play believes that.

He has regressed to the mean from the start of the season and its really irrefutable. The poster I was responding too stated he was rapidly progressing based off a single game. Edey was shooting 70% from the field in the non-conference and now shooting 42%. That is text book definition of "regressing to the mean". Try harder.

He has regressed to the mean from the start of the season and its really irrefutable. The poster I was responding too stated he was rapidly progressing based off a single game. Edey was shooting 70% from the field in the non-conference and now shooting 42%. That is text book definition of "regressing to the mean". Try harder.
I think you need to watch him play and know what you’re watching first. When you try to do that, you’ll have some credibility.

He is an elite shot taker there’s no doubt. Not one he doesn’t like.

Trended down tonight.
Since this is apparently a game to game debate instead of season long progression, how is Edey's regression to the mean trending?
BTW, your Gunn / Creek comparison was laughable. Gunn's athleticism as a high school Jr is light years ahead of Creek's as a college Fr.

Trended down tonight.
Since this is apparently a game to game debate instead of season long progression, how is Edey's regression to the mean trending?
BTW, your Gunn / Creek comparison was laughable. Gunn's athleticism as a high school Jr is light years ahead of Creek's as a college Fr.

Ivey’s shot selection and subsequent inefficiency isn’t a game to game problem, it’s literally been an issue all year. The kid was shooting 37% from the field and 20% from 3 heading into this game. There is no debate about Ivey’s inefficiency, it is what it is. Edey had a good game tonight.

Creek and Gunn are similar athletes and I stand by that, good not great. Similar builds, both are three level scorers, it’s why I said Gunn reminded me of Mo Creek.

Lander is a very young point guard who has really improved over the season . Ivey is a very good shooting guard . So you are not comparing apples to apples . I've really enjoyed the energy the freshmen have brought to the last few games . The whole team needs to improve their shooting however . Leal could be that really good shooter down the line , as his confidence seems to be growing . Lander made some really good passes today . Would love to see IU recruit an aircraft carrier like Purdues Eddy to anchor the middle for the future .
I agree and think that Leal has been really good in the last two wins for IU. He play so smart on the floor and his defense is so much better than it was earlier in the year. He doesn't have the athletic ability of Ivey but his value goes beyond physicality and as he gets more comfortable shooting, I think he will be really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT