ADVERTISEMENT

Lander or Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Ivey isn’t in the same universe as Oladipo is, talent wise. The dude isn’t even as good as Romeo Langford.

If you are saying “isn’t even as good as Romeo,” then you are kind of implying they are at least in the same convo in talent level. Ivey is a freshmen, any school in America would looooove to have him. He has played better than vic his freshmen year. 100%.

Now very slim odds he reaches vic level. But how many people become nba all stars?

Lol. Ivey isn’t in the same universe as Oladipo is, talent wise. The dude isn’t even as good as Romeo Langford.

Man...relax.

One of the reasons the trolls slither over here and stay is because they get under people's skin. It is all they have...don't feed it.

37% from the field, 20% from 3. Takes 8 shots to score 8 points. Definition of an inefficient chucker. Again, prove me wrong.

I'll let him prove you wrong. Heart of a lion, craves winning, craves contributing. He wants the ball in his hand at winning time. It's easier to dial that back than to inject life into someone like Phin.

You still taking Galloway?

Reactions: Emartin70287
I'll let him prove you wrong. Heart of a lion, craves winning, craves contributing. He wants the ball in his hand at winning time. It's easier to dial that back than to inject life into someone like Phin.

You still taking Galloway?

What does Phinisee have to do with this? Never called Ivey a scrub, just said he was an inefficient chucker which you obviously can't refute.

Galloway has been slowed considerably by a bad back the last month and his play has reflected as such.

What does Phinisee have to do with this? Never called Ivey a scrub, just said he was an inefficient chucker which you obviously can't refute.

Galloway has been slowed considerably by a bad back the last month and his play has reflected as such.

Are you still taking Galloway 'any day and twice on Sunday' or not?

Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Yes.

There's a ton of college basketball players who can avg 8 points a game on 8 shot attempts, Galloway included.

I always thought our fanbase was one of the smartest in basketball but post like this really make me wonder. I can’t tell if you’re trolling, not an actual IU fan, or on drugs... there isn’t one coach in the country that would take Galloway over Ivey. Not one.

And you’ll see that when Ivey easily makes the All Freshmen team and Galloway is no where to be found.

Ivey has got a way to go before he's in early draft talks but the kid has an enormous ceiling. He's already gotten much better since seeing him earlier. He can absolutely bring it and play above the rim and knows how to get there too. If he continues to improve his 3pt % and decision making, he'll def be an early entrance consideration. He already is a plus rebounder and his defense is trending up as well.

It obviously pains you to be complimentary of Purdue in any way so I get it. Wasn't it you and Custodian saying earlier in the season how Ivey is pretty much a scrub, lol.

One of the BTN guys gave the comp of Ivey to Victor O. There's no denying his elite athleticism no matter how much you try and dog the guy.
Ivey is a chucker. Recently he has been scoring some points, but he takes a lot of shots to do it. He is a very inefficient player. As I said, he’s a poor man’s Romeo. He is no where near as athletic as Oladipo, and you show your ignorance with statements like that

No, I never said Ivey was a scrub. I did say Morton was a scrub though.

Speaking of scrubs, congrats on your team falling to 5-13 last night.

I always thought our fanbase was one of the smartest in basketball but post like this really make me wonder. I can’t tell if you’re trolling, not an actual IU fan, or on drugs... there isn’t one coach in the country that would take Galloway over Ivey. Not one.

And you’ll see that when Ivey easily makes the All Freshmen team and Galloway is no where to be found.

Is it really that much to wonder? Both Ivey and Galloway do two things particularly well and they're about equal in that regard. Both are very good with the ball and have identical A/TO ratios (2:1) which is extremely good, let alone for a freshman and are both rangy and active defenders. One guy (Ivey) averages more points because he takes entirely more shots from the field. Does anyone really doubt that if Galloway took nearly 9 shots a game from the field he too wouldn't average ~8ppg?

I get the fascination with Ivey; athletic, good driver, etc but his shot is terrible and his shot selection is even worse. IU doesn't need another gung-ho guard who can't shoot that makes the offense even more inefficient than it already is.

• Haha
Reactions: Bill4411
I try to be realistic about this stuff. Sometimes it's tough. But truthfully with what I've seen, if you're comparing Ivey and Galloway and you don't favor Ivey? His 3 point percent is atrocious I admit. But he is quite the athlete and can get to the rim. The kid puts in the time to get better. I'm thinking his 3 point shot will be much better next season because he will put in the work. I assume Galloway will too. At times I've been impressed with him I admit. I think the ball moves more with him in there. Both have a shot a being pretty good.

He is a Custodian at a IN HS. Complete moron. He also said Lander was the worst player in the big ten. Cant fix stupid.

I wouldn’t take Galloway over Ivey. I also think Purdue fans way overhype Ivey and don’t understand how inefficient he is. They think every player they’ve ever had is going pro, but Matt Painter has only had 1 guy stick in the NBA in 16 seasons.

He has played better than vic his freshmen year. 100%.

Now very slim odds he reaches vic level. But how many people become nba all stars?

Let's compare real quick

Vic--18 mins, 7.4ppg, 3.7 rpg, .9 apg, 1.1 spg, 1.4 tpg, 59% from 2, 31% 3, 61% FT (55% overall FG)
Ivy--19 mins, 8.8 ppl, 3.1 rpg, 1.7 apg, .5 spg, .9 tpg, 49% from 2, 20% 3, 66% FT (37% overall FG)

Raw numbers SLIGHTLY better, but way less efficient (and Vic was a better defender). If he was shooting 37% here and 20% from 3 people would be asking why he is playing so much and as a 66% FT shooter people would be ready to give up hope!!

Hell, Ivy's shooting numbers are not that much different that Rob and Al's right now and everyone is wanting to kick them to the curb because they can not shoot

Al overall shooting % is at 37, 34 from 3, and 74 at FT line
Rob overall shooting 38%, 34, and 64
Ivy 37%, 20, and 66

Reactions: BannerYear
Purdue fans can hype their Freshman all they want. But I like our 4 Freshman. I don’t see any apathetic Rob Phinisees in that group.

• Haha
Reactions: cobbocinco
Let's compare real quick

Vic--18 mins, 7.4ppg, 3.7 rpg, .9 apg, 1.1 spg, 1.4 tpg, 59% from 2, 31% 3, 61% FT (55% overall FG)
Ivy--19 mins, 8.8 ppl, 3.1 rpg, 1.7 apg, .5 spg, .9 tpg, 49% from 2, 20% 3, 66% FT (37% overall FG)

Raw numbers SLIGHTLY better, but way less efficient (and Vic was a better defender). If he was shooting 37% here and 20% from 3 people would be asking why he is playing so much and as a 66% FT shooter people would be ready to give up hope!!

Hell, Ivy's shooting numbers are not that much different that Rob and Al's right now and everyone is wanting to kick them to the curb because they can not shoot

Al overall shooting % is at 37, 34 from 3, and 74 at FT line
Rob overall shooting 38%, 34, and 64
Ivy 37%, 20, and 66

Ivey does play with a boatload of confidence (something Al nor Rob do) so will give him credit in that regard. He's put up some good numbers the last two games but people will overlook a box score and realize that Ivey took two terribly ill-advised three's in the last 90 seconds with Purdue clinging to a lead and also gave up an unnecessary foul in the waning seconds that gave the win to Maryland. The two games prior to his Big Ten Freshman of the week honors last week he went 6-23 from the field and needed 14 shots to score 12 points in a blowout loss to Michigan.

Ivey does play with a boatload of confidence (something Al nor Rob do) so will give him credit in that regard. He's put up some good numbers the last two games but people will overlook a box score and realize that Ivey took two terribly ill-advised three's in the last 90 seconds with Purdue clinging to a lead and also gave up an unnecessary foul in the waning seconds that gave the win to Maryland. The two games prior to his Big Ten Freshman of the week honors last week he went 6-23 from the field and needed 14 shots to score 12 points in a blowout loss to Michigan.

That is my point, wildly inconsistent, but we have some that look glowingly on other teams players with no regard for their warts, but with ours we only see the warts and the negatives. I posted the numbers to show just how similar they are, yet people want to jump all over some of our guys and fall in love with someone else when they essentially--by the numbers--are the same players

Purdue fans can hype their Freshman all they want. But I like our 4 Freshman. I don’t see any apathetic Rob Phinisees in that group.

I assume you're throwing RS Newman in with the Purdue freshmen?

If so, if the 4 for IU & the 4 for Purdue played all 4 years, I'd go with the Purdues, by a long shot. I like our 4, but it's not really close. I think you're making a common error of IU fans right now. We are so used to bad attitudes and poor effort that we overrate players who have a good attitude and play hard. I'll call it the "Al Durham effect". So, while I also like our freshman, all 4 of them have only contributed around the edges, Purdue's have been getting awards for their play.

Now, if you throw in a healthy soph Franklin into the mix, you've got an argument.

Lander his passing is Jason Kidd like, he will figure the shot out and be a blazing fast stud of a guard!

As a freshman in college, Kidd started & averaged 7.7 assists per game.9.6 per every 40 minutes played. Lander has averaged 4.4 per every 40 minutes played.

Reactions: Bill4411
but Matt Painter has only had 1 guy stick in the NBA in 16 seasons.

And this is the key point of this thread. Painter is the anti Crean. He does more with less. I have no doubt that he’ll win plenty of games with these freshmen. And they’ll be good to very good college players. Are they a bunch of NBA all stars? Do they need to be?

Painter is a system guy.

How our current freshmen class develops is a little cloudier.

I expected Miller to be similar to Painter; a coach that does more with less. As much as it pains me to say it, he has been much more Creanish than I expected.

This class shows promise, especially as measured by intangibles. But, I have to admit that I am unsure if we are looking at kids that will progress like race and Franklin, or this class is more like the Phinisee/Forrester/Anderson class.

I assume you're throwing RS Newman in with the Purdue freshmen?

If so, if the 4 for IU & the 4 for Purdue played all 4 years, I'd go with the Purdues, by a long shot. I like our 4, but it's not really close. I think you're making a common error of IU fans right now. We are so used to bad attitudes and poor effort that we overrate players who have a good attitude and play hard. I'll call it the "Al Durham effect". So, while I also like our freshman, all 4 of them have only contributed around the edges, Purdue's have been getting awards for their play.

Now, if you throw in a healthy soph Franklin into the mix, you've got an argument.
I believe @fkfootball is saying is that he would rather have the players in our 2020 class than the players in Purdue’s 2020 class. I completely agree with him on that.

I believe @fkfootball is saying is that he would rather have the players in our 2020 class than the players in Purdue’s 2020 class. I completely agree with him on that.

Agree. Think it's highly unlikely Gillis or Newman see a 6th year at Purdue.

Edey got out of the gate hot as a freshman and was actually their biggest surprise but has regressed towards the mean. I do struggle seeing where he fits in their immediate plans with Furst and Kaufman coming on aboard.

Ivey has already been discussed. Hard-working, active player but really needs to develop an outside shot.

Morton appears in over his head. I know he was recruited as a PG, but wow.

And this is the key point of this thread. Painter is the anti Crean. He does more with less. I have no doubt that he’ll win plenty of games with these freshmen. And they’ll be good to very good college players. Are they a bunch of NBA all stars? Do they need to be?

Painter is a system guy.

How our current freshmen class develops is a little cloudier.

I expected Miller to be similar to Painter; a coach that does more with less. As much as it pains me to say it, he has been much more Creanish than I expected.

This class shows promise, especially as measured by intangibles. But, I have to admit that I am unsure if we are looking at kids that will progress like race and Franklin, or this class is more like the Phinisee/Forrester/Anderson class.

Nice post.

I think all these freshmen will be ok. All good attitudes. Whether Leal, Galloway & Geronimo all end up staying here....don't know.....sure looks like we're recruiting a bunch of guys in their size range. Lander's surprised and impressed me by not sulking over lack of pt. I assumed he'd be more of a prima donna.

Concerning CAM, I think he's conflicted between his approach when he was recruiting Sean and the approach he was forced to take when he was at Dayton. So it seems like his recruiting is reactive and all over the place.....like Crean, as you said. I wonder about spending so much time on guys like Brooks & Mohammed, and feel like maybe he feels pressured to get top recruits given IU's 'blue blood' rep.

Edey got out of the gate hot as a freshman and was actually their biggest surprise but has regressed towards the mean. I do struggle seeing where he fits in their immediate plans with Furst and Kaufman coming on aboard.

Ivey has already been discussed. Hard-working, active player but really needs to develop an outside shot.

Nice point about Edey, Furst & Kaufman. I imagine he'll just end up rotating those 3 between two positions most of the time.

Ivey's at 20% on 3s this year> I would expect he'll be at no less than 30% at the same time next year.

As for Morton, he has been terrible; however, Painter keeps talking him up. He must see something there. Remember that Archie really wanted him. He's coming off mono, so I would expect him to be much better next year, although not a starter.

Edey probably had his best game last Saturday: 12 point, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks-his first double double.

Edey probably had his best game last Saturday: 12 point, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks-his first double double.

Now do the other 12 conference games. He scored double figures in 5 of his first 6 collegiate games, but has slowed since. Still a major surprise given most thought he was a project.

Page me when an IU freshman can win a freshman player of the week. Should be no problem considering all they have to do is take minutes from the corpses of Al Durham and Rob Phinisee. Should happen any day now...
Page me when FoW is a meaningful award. I’m sure you also don’t factor in that Hunter Dickinson hasn’t played since January 22nd.

Page me when FoW is a meaningful award. I’m sure you also don’t factor in that Hunter Dickinson hasn’t played since January 22nd.
It’s worrisome that your freshman guards can’t outplay Rob Phinisee or Al Durham. Galloway looks at the rim maybe twice a game. He’s already patented the pump fake, dribble into the middle of the lane and pass back out move. We know he can’t shoot.

Nice point about Edey, Furst & Kaufman. I imagine he'll just end up rotating those 3 between two positions most of the time.

Yep, it's easy to see how Edey will fit into Purdue's plan. He is, and will continue to be, a force on the glass simply because he is so damn big, heavy, and strong. His must have very good lower body strength. He goes wherever he wants to in the lane, effortlessly going through anyone trying to check him, and often simply reaches over opponents in front of him for rebounds.

Ivey's at 20% on 3s this year> I would expect he'll be at no less than 30% at the same time next year.

Yep, his shooting stroke isn't that bad and I imagine that he will improve it. Shot selection is much more his problem than his shooting stroke.

As for Morton, he has been terrible; however, Painter keeps talking him up. He must see something there. Remember that Archie really wanted him. He's coming off mono, so I would expect him to be much better next year, although not a starter.

Morton hasn't played enough to be deemed terrible. He looks decent to me: Nice size, nice stroke, good handle, good IQ. Some take longer to acclimate to the college game than others. Odds are that he'll develop into a nice player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT