ADVERTISEMENT

Lander or Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivey is better coached so I’d go with Ivey. Lander has some real potential tho to be a stud pg. problem is, I’ve yet to see any guard excel in Archie’s offense. You could argue franklin, who is much better this year, but I still think he’s being held back by our offensive system. Why does he stand in the right corner all the time? Am I missing something here? Drives me fn nuts

Lander is a very young point guard who has really improved over the season . Ivey is a very good shooting guard . So you are not comparing apples to apples . I've really enjoyed the energy the freshmen have brought to the last few games . The whole team needs to improve their shooting however . Leal could be that really good shooter down the line , as his confidence seems to be growing . Lander made some really good passes today . Would love to see IU recruit an aircraft carrier like Purdues Eddy to anchor the middle for the future .

Bring in da beef!!

Re-recruit Deandre Thomas:

arkansas-michael-washington-against-indiana-deandre-thomas-on-march-picture-id110381223

Ivey needs to improve his outside shot. Lander looks like he's improved. Both should develop but I think Ivey has an advantage being under Painter. Just an honest appraisal.

Reactions: Bernese
Lander is a very young point guard who has really improved over the season . Ivey is a very good shooting guard . So you are not comparing apples to apples . I've really enjoyed the energy the freshmen have brought to the last few games . The whole team needs to improve their shooting however . Leal could be that really good shooter down the line , as his confidence seems to be growing . Lander made some really good passes today . Would love to see IU recruit an aircraft carrier like Purdues Eddy to anchor the middle for the future .

Lander is 18 years/6 months old.
Ivey turns 19 next week.

Lander did skip his senior year in high school. But he has an August birthday, so he is one of those "tweeners," who could've been in either the 2020 or 2021 high school graduating class. Even though he reclassified, he is not "young" for a college freshman.

Reactions: Bill4411 and nurban
I think by next year Lander will be a good player. Ivey however has a chance to be very good although if I am right one more year may be all Purdue gets out of him.

Sure, the son of the head basketball Coach of a major university’s women’s team who is making $1 million is going to leave school after his sophomore year!

Sure, the son of the head basketball Coach of a major university’s women’s team who is making $1 million is going to leave school after his sophomore year!
I think their financial situation has long ago ceased to be relevant. The intent is to get to the league ASAP.

What does that have to do with it?
If he's good enough to go to the league, you expect him to stay in school because mommy sends him a kick ass allowance?

She is a single parent who values the degree and knows the worst thing that happens is kids leave too soon and are not ready competitively or psychologically.

Who will have the better collegiate career?

Obviously, no one knows.

But what has anyone seen from Lander to even think he’s going to be better than Ivey? The Ivey kid is aggressive, confident, can get to the rim, draws fouls, and appears to me to have incredible potential.

Maybe it’s coaching, but Lander has come across as timid and has basically been limited to set jump shots at this point. I do think Lander is better at distribution and running the offense. But, that’s apples and oranges as Ivey isn’t point guard.

Oh, and most importantly, Ivey (right now) has pieces around him that make him even better.

Reactions: BigMobe
She is a single parent who values the degree and knows the worst thing that happens is kids leave too soon and are not ready competitively or psychologically.
You can get a degree any time. What she actually understands is that the sooner you get to the second contract the better.

If Ivey had a chance to be drafted after next year, he would definitely go. I don’t think you need to worry about that though.

Reactions: MattyG99
Obviously, no one knows.

But what has anyone seen from Lander to even think he’s going to be better than Ivey? The Ivey kid is aggressive, confident, can get to the rim, draws fouls, and appears to me to have incredible potential.

Maybe it’s coaching, but Lander has come across as timid and has basically been limited to set jump shots at this point. I do think Lander is better at distribution and running the offense. But, that’s apples and oranges as Ivey isn’t point guard.

Oh, and most importantly, Ivey (right now) has pieces around him that make him even better.

Let me preface this by saying that Ivey is definitely better right now and may end up being the better college player.

With that said, if you can't see the speed, vision and handles that Lander has....you might be blind. You aren't teaching that speed and vision to anyone. Those are god given gifts that this kid has that can't be taught. Even his shot, while obviously needing some work, has a release that is just ridiculously quick which again is almost impossible to teach. I would venture a guess, that if you were to line up both prospects and have NBA scouts watch them, the majority are picking Lander. Again, not a knock on Ivey at all, the kid is nails. I just don't see how anyone can look at Lander and not see the natural ability he has.

Let me preface this by saying that Ivey is definitely better right now and may end up being the better college player.

With that said, if you can't see the speed, vision and handles that Lander has....you might be blind. You aren't teaching that speed and vision to anyone. Those are god given gifts that this kid has that can't be taught. Even his shot, while obviously needing some work, has a release that is just ridiculously quick which again is almost impossible to teach. I would venture a guess, that if you were to line up both prospects and have NBA scouts watch them, the majority are picking Lander. Again, not a knock on Ivey at all, the kid is nails. I just don't see how anyone can look at Lander and not see the natural ability he has.
Lander is definitely improving before our eyes, but damn... does he know he's allowed to shoot inside the 3 pt line? Drive and dish? Pick and roll? So much more he can do offensively. But I'm in Cav's camp now, play him and let him learn and put Rob where he should be on a B10 roster: coming off the bench.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
Lander is definitely improving before our eyes, but damn... does he know he's allowed to shoot inside the 3 pt line? Drive and dish? Pick and roll? So much more he can do offensively. But I'm in Cav's camp now, play him and let him learn and put Rob where he should be on a B10 roster: coming off the bench.
I don't disagree with you. With the speed and vision he's got, he needs to start driving the lane more. I almost wonder if that's not a Archie issue. Other than Romeo, who have we had that would penetrate? It's one of my biggest frustrations and allows the defenses to stay comfortable when playing us.

Notice how Lander does push the tempo more and than anyone else we've got. He's definitely got it in him, just hoping it's allowed to come out more as he get's more PT.

Reactions: outside shooter

You’re taking Landers strengths (speed and vision) and comparing that to Ivey who is not a point guard. Ivey is an off guard scorer and Purdue isn’t demanding handles, speed, or vision from him. They want him to get to the rim, draw fouls, and score.

While Lander may be the best point guard in the conference in two years, that doesn’t mean anyone would take him over Ivey. I’ll be ecstatic if Lander, in two years, is more productive than Ivey has been over the last 3+ weeks.

Reactions: Bill4411
You’re taking Landers strengths (speed and vision) and comparing that to Ivey who is not a point guard. Ivey is an off guard scorer and Purdue isn’t demanding handles, speed, or vision from him. They want him to get to the rim, draw fouls, and score.

While Lander may be the best point guard in the conference in two years, that doesn’t mean anyone would take him over Ivey. I’ll be ecstatic if Lander, in two years, is more productive than Ivey has been over the last 3+ weeks.
Not trying to argue, but I was answering this question/statement that you made, "But what has anyone seen from Lander to even think he’s going to be better than Ivey? The Ivey kid is aggressive, confident, can get to the rim, draws fouls, and appears to me to have incredible potential."

Look, I realize they're different positions, but I still think Lander has more tools for his position that could make him the better player in the long run. Simple as that. If Lander is still here in two years, I would certainly be willing to wager he'll be more productive than Ivey over the past 3 weeks.

The last player at Purdue with the equivalent skills of Jaden Ivey in my memory was Herm Gilliam who at 6-3, 190 played forward on the team that lost the NCAA title to LewCLA in 1969. He was the 8th pick in the 1970 NBA draft and played 8 years in the NBA finishing with an NBA championship with Portland in 1977.

The last player at Purdue with the equivalent skills of Jaden Ivey in my memory was Herm Gilliam who at 6-3, 190 played forward on the team that lost the NCAA title to LewCLA in 1969. He was the 8th pick in the 1970 NBA draft and played 8 years in the NBA finishing with an NBA championship with Portland in 1977.
Well at least you guys are keeping your expectations realistic... lol

Ivey is a poor man’s Romeo Langford.

Ivey is an athlete and it's no surprise he has started strong. Eventually, Lander's quickness and passing may elevate him. It is hard to say as of now.

Obviously, no one knows.

Lander should be a senior in high school. Lander will end up much better

You can get a degree any time. What she actually understands is that the sooner you get to the second contract the better.

If Ivey had a chance to be drafted after next year, he would definitely go. I don’t think you need to worry about that though.

Ivey has got a way to go before he's in early draft talks but the kid has an enormous ceiling. He's already gotten much better since seeing him earlier. He can absolutely bring it and play above the rim and knows how to get there too. If he continues to improve his 3pt % and decision making, he'll def be an early entrance consideration. He already is a plus rebounder and his defense is trending up as well.

It obviously pains you to be complimentary of Purdue in any way so I get it. Wasn't it you and Custodian saying earlier in the season how Ivey is pretty much a scrub, lol.

One of the BTN guys gave the comp of Ivey to Victor O. There's no denying his elite athleticism no matter how much you try and dog the guy.

Lander is 18 years/6 months old.
Ivey turns 19 next week.

Lander did skip his senior year in high school. But he has an August birthday, so he is one of those "tweeners," who could've been in either the 2020 or 2021 high school graduating class. Even though he reclassified, he is not "young" for a college freshman.

But he played 3 years of HS basketball instead of 4.

Ivey has got a way to go before he's in early draft talks but the kid has an enormous ceiling. He's already gotten much better since seeing him earlier. He can absolutely bring it and play above the rim and knows how to get there too. If he continues to improve his 3pt % and decision making, he'll def be an early entrance consideration. He already is a plus rebounder and his defense is trending up as well.

It obviously pains you to be complimentary of Purdue in any way so I get it. Wasn't it you and Custodian saying earlier in the season how Ivey is pretty much a scrub, lol.

One of the BTN guys gave the comp of Ivey to Victor O. There's no denying his elite athleticism no matter how much you try and dog the guy.

Lol. Ivey isn’t in the same universe as Oladipo is, talent wise. The dude isn’t even as good as Romeo Langford.

Buford, you referring to him as custodian made my morning and gained my respect for life. Good day to you fine sir.

Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT