ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Jackson

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
If we can believe the media, LJ turned down 5 years, $250,000,000, with $133,000,000 guaranteed Last year.

Allegedly he wanted the full $250,000,000 guaranteed.

He has no agent. Standard advice “on the player side of the street” was either “Lamar should bet on himself” or “Lamar should take it because he runs a lot and will get hurt.” Facts “on the street“ were that Cleveland gave serial-happy-ender Deshaun Watson a fully guaranteed $250,000,000.

annnnd …

Lamar bet on himself and played without a new deal … and got hurt.

Did that lower his value? Should he change his bargaining strategy?

Baltimore allegedly is on the verge of giving him “The Dreaded Collectively-Bargained Franchise Tag.”
Advice on the player side of street is now “Lamar should not play if they give him The Tag.” So if there is no new deal, should he play or sit?

As a guy who does not have and will never have $133,000,000, I probably would have told him “take the 250 with 133 guaranteed. You’ll probably get the 250. And don’t get hurt.” or “split the difference. Screw Deshaun Watson.”

I think today I’d tell him “you bet red … roll came up black … stop betting and go with the sure money. Don’t compare yourself to Watson. Beat him on the field. You can’t spend 133 anyway.”

What say y’all?

I think Lamar needs to answer a couple questions:

1. How important is it to play in baltimore?
2. What type of injury would prevent a team from a second year franchise tag? ('23 tag is 32.4M, '24 tag is 41.7M)
3. What is the likelihood a '24 tag preventing i jury happens?
4. Are you willing to take the risk?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think Lamar needs to answer a couple questions:

1. How important is it to play in baltimore?
2. What type of injury would prevent a team from a second year franchise tag? ('23 tag is 32.4M, '24 tag is 41.7M)
3. What is the likelihood a '24 tag preventing i jury happens?
4. Are you willing to take the risk?
I think he wants to leave Baltimore and no more tags.

My questions are...if Jackson if healthy, where does he rank among QB's?
Can he lead the Ravens to a future SB?

I have always had a sneaky suspicion he would love to return to Miami.

But $133,000,000 guaranteed, even if hurt, is still a lot - and he hast to understand that him getting hurt, or simply needing to become less of a runner, and more of a passer, scares teams, and probably lowered his market value. Nobody wants to pay $250 million to a guy who seems to be already showing signs of past hits and current injuries.

PlayerTeamAgeTotal
Value
Avg./YearTotal
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Aaron RodgersPackers40$150,815,000$50,271,667$150,665,000$101,415,0002027 UFA
Russell WilsonBroncos35$245,000,000$49,000,000$165,000,000$124,000,0002029 UFA
Kyler MurrayCardinals26$230,500,000$46,100,000$160,000,000$103,300,0002029 UFA
Deshaun WatsonBrowns28$230,000,000$46,000,000$230,000,000$230,000,0002027 UFA
Patrick MahomesChiefs28$450,000,000$45,000,000$141,000,000$63,081,9052032 UFA
Josh AllenBills27$258,000,000$43,000,000$150,000,000$100,000,0002029 UFA
Matt StaffordRams35$160,000,000$40,000,000$120,000,000$63,000,0002027 UFA
Dak PrescottCowboys30$160,000,000$40,000,000$126,000,000$95,000,0002025 Void
Kirk CousinsVikings35$35,000,000$35,000,000$70,000,000$70,000,0002024 Void
Jared GoffLions29$134,000,000$33,500,000$110,042,682$57,042,6822025 UFA
Carson WentzCommanders31$128,000,000$32,000,000$107,870,683$66,470,6832025 UFA
Matt RyanColts38$150,000,000$30,000,000$100,000,000$94,500,0002024 UFA
Ryan TannehillTitans35$118,000,000$29,500,000$91,000,000$62,000,0002024 Void
Tom BradyBuccaneers46$25,000,000$25,000,000$25,000,000$25,000,0002023 Void

I'd bet one of two things happens. The Ravens sweeten the deal a bit (maybe a little better guarantee) so both sides don't have to lose face. Or the Ravens trade him for a nice return of draft picks. The scout that convinced Baltimore to drafted him is now one of the main guys in the Falcons front office. I could see them being a great fit.

I'll ague he should be paid more than kyler Murray and Russell Wilson

which insinuates that no one is overpaid, so all salary negotiations should be based in what so and so got, and not in whether what so and so got was in the best interests of the overall team when the overall team is on a salary cap.

and how are K Murray's, R Wilson's, and DeShaun Watson's, contracts working out for their teams?

Josh Allen's hit i think was only $16.9 mil this past yr, and his mega cap hit won't kick in till next yr.

i think Mahomes' cap hit this past yr was $35 mil, (barely more than Matt Ryan's crazy contract), and of the big pay guys, he's the only one making it look like a great investment, but even he could become a cap liability in the future, despite being the best QB in the game.

and Mahomes could have leveraged more, had that been is prime goal.

those QB's who max out every cent they can leverage, are imposing the new Peter Principle on their organizations.

Brady never leveraged as much as he could get, as Mahomes didn't as well.

success in the future is going to be based in having a great QB who didn't max out his full leverage in negotiations, or a great QB on their first contract.

those who say they put winning first and mean it, will be separated from those who don't.

and the big winners will make up for any salary concessions on the endorsement side.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Washington just let Wenz go to save money on his contract.

Wentz should easily find a roster spot at a lower cap number, and if the number is right, i wouldn't mind seeing the Colts pick him up.

he still is someone who has grossly under achieved on field relative to his athletic gifts.

that said, Stetson Bennett is supposed to go late rounds or go undrafted.

i would love to see the Colts pick him up, even if it takes using a 3rd or 4th round pick to do so.

he could turn out to be one of the steals of the draft imo.

that said, there is no Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in this yrs draft, and i'm not a fan of the Colts spending much, if any, to trade up from #4.

i'm not a huge fan of Stroud or Bryce Young. neither are future high level franchise QBs imho.

just take what's there at 4, as whatever QB is left there probably has as good a shot at succeeding as whom ever goes at 1.

making a play for the or a top pick in 2024 is a much better play imo.

Reactions: jsenleo
I think he wants the entire contract guaranteed so he can be hurt when he's hurt and not have to worry about being released.

Atlanta is one of the top trade destinations discussed in the media. I hope that doesn't happen. If we're gonna find out whether Desmond Ridder is the guy anyway because Jackson can't play, might as well find out with the draft picks instead of without. Besides, Penix will be in next year's class.

Wentz should easily find a roster spot at a lower cap number, and if the number is right, i wouldn't mind seeing the Colts pick him up.

he still is someone who has grossly under achieved on field relative to his athletic gifts.

i would love to see the Colts pick him up, even if it takes using a 3rd or 4th round pick to do so.

that said, there is no Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in this yrs draft, and i'm not a fan of the Colts spending much, if any, to trade up from #4.

i'm not a huge fan of Stroud or Bryce Young. neither are future high level franchise QBs imho.

just take what's there at 4, as whatever QB is left there probably has as good a shot at succeeding as whom ever goes at 1.

The more I watch will Levis the more I like him. Big arm, tough, can make all the throws, has anticipation, body language was good even though the talent around him wasn't the greatest

which insinuates that no one is overpaid, so all salary negotiations should be based in what so and so got, and not in whether what so and so got was in the best interests of the overall team when the overall team is on a salary cap.

and how are K Murray's, R Wilson's, and DeShaun Watson's, contracts working out for their teams?

Josh Allen's hit i think was only $16.9 mil this past yr, and his mega cap hit won't kick in till next yr.

i think Mahomes' cap hit this past yr was $35 mil, (barely more than Matt Ryan's crazy contract), and of the big pay guys, he's the only one making it look like a great investment, but even he could become a cap liability in the future, despite being the best QB in the game.

and Mahomes could have leveraged more, had that been is prime goal.

those QB's who max out every cent they can leverage, are imposing the new Peter Principle on their organizations.

Brady never leveraged as much as he could get, as Mahomes didn't as well.

success in the future is going to be based in having a great QB who didn't max out his full leverage in negotiations, or a great QB on their first contract.

those who say they put winning first and mean it, will be separated from those who don't.

and the big winners will make up for any salary concessions on the endorsement side.
We are definitely seeing the impact of the rookie wage scale and the sins of paying a franchise quarterback at play. It's definitely affecting roster construction and every GM has to decide how to allocate cap dollars. That being said making the playoffs every year saves a lot of jobs

You certainly are negative on QBs but the people that rate him are high on those two QB.

You certainly are negative on QBs but the people that rate him are high on those two QB.

high vs other QBs in the class, is only relative to other QBs in the class.

and my post was in regards to how much do you spend to trade up.

again, i don't see Stroud or Young in the same class as Luck or Mahomes or Lawrence or Burrow coming out.

i just never saw either make me go "wow", as i did with both Burrow and Lawrence in recent yrs.

that said, i could totally be wrong on either or both.

that said, i'll double down on taking Bennett, and wouldn't hesitate to use a 3rd rd pick to do so.

i'd take favorite QB available at #4, and take Bennett in 3rd rd.

i see spending a rd 3 pick on Bennett as a better use of a pick, than trading multiple picks to move up.

experts think Bennett will be available much later, but i wouldn't count on that.

small, but can run and throw, sees the field great, and proven winner with lots of experience and maturity already, and if not a starter, will be an asset even as a backup.

Last edited:
If we can believe the media, LJ turned down 5 years, $250,000,000, with $133,000,000 guaranteed Last year.

He has no agent. Standard advice “on the player side of the street” was either “Lamar should bet on himself” or “Lamar should take it because he runs a lot and will get hurt.” Facts “on the street“ were that Cleveland gave serial-happy-ender Deshaun Watson a fully guaranteed $250,000,000.

annnnd …

Baltimore allegedly is on the verge of giving him “The Dreaded Collectively-Bargained Franchise Tag.”
Advice on the player side of street is now “Lamar should not play if they give him The Tag.” So if there is no new deal, should he play or sit?

As a guy who does not have and will never have $133,000,000, I probably would have told him “take the 250 with 133 guaranteed. You’ll probably get the 250. And don’t get hurt.” or “split the difference. Screw Deshaun Watson.”

I think today I’d tell him “you bet red … roll came up black … stop betting and go with the sure money. Don’t compare yourself to Watson. Beat him on the field. You can’t spend 133 anyway.”

What say y’all?
What can you buy for 250M that you cannot buy for 133M that will make you happy?

annnnd …

What say y’all?
He who represents himself, has a fool for a client.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT