ADVERTISEMENT

Kavanaugh

The FBI is responsible for performing the background check, and that's my understanding as to why the FBI was informed. I'm of the opinion that allegations of rape, regardless of when it occurred and if indeed that is the allegation, should be brought to the attention of those performing the background check. You're free to disagree, of course.

You are correct about the FBI and background checks. Feinstein held this until the b-check was completed—assuming those are done prior to confirmation hearings.

I guess the question I have is whether our standards are such that even actions by teenagers - long before their brains are fully developed - are going to be judged in accordance with the actions we'd expect of someone in their 40s, or even their late 20s.

I'm hesitant to give this standard the same credence as that which we'd use for actions during one's full adulthood. Otherwise, we'll either disqualify the entire population or get left with someone like Mike Pence as the sole qualified candidate. I'd much rather have someone with a small skeleton in their closet, and a regret or two, with which to understand with more depth the vagaries of life.
Again, I’m taking this with a grain of salt. But I don’t care how old a person is, I think attempted rape is more than a small skeleton in a closet.

What in the world?! I could only say that the allegations are entirely believable. I don't have any special knowledge beyond what Rock has posted in the New Yorker article. Mr. Bing tells a valuable story of his own personal experience with such an allegation in which he was falsely accused. I guess the question for you is whether the truth of the allegations matters to you in one way or another. It seems clear that the truth of the allegations doesn't matter to the current GOP. It is convenient for them to put K on the court and so that is what they will do. What are these allegations compared to the much better sourced allegations against Trump? The truth of the allegations, at least with respect to the appointment to the SC doesn't matter to me. I am opposed to K's appointment.
It’s simple for me. Until there is some convincing evidence it’s just an unsupported allegation. People are innocent until proven guilty. On the other hand, While Trump also deserves that basic assumption, there is plenty of convincing evidence that he’s a pretty despicable human being. These two people are not the same by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: MrBing
It’s simple for me. Until there is some convincing evidence it’s just an unsupported allegation. People are innocent until proven guilty. On the other hand, While Trump also deserves that basic assumption, there is plenty of convincing evidence that he’s a pretty despicable human being. These two people are not the same by any stretch of the imagination.
Innocent until proven guilty is a protection for criminal procedure, not for public relations. And when it comes to that, how convincing the evidence is that a person is pretty despicable shouldn't matter. The prosecutor needs to prove the case, or the guy is innocent. Period.

But we're not talking about criminal. We're talking about public perception. In that realm, it's up to each individual to determine who does and does not deserve the benefit of the doubt, and for what topics. There is no "innocent until proven guilty" maxim in this context.

Innocent until proven guilty is a protection for criminal procedure, not for public relations. And when it comes to that, how convincing the evidence is that a person is pretty despicable shouldn't matter. The prosecutor needs to prove the case, or the guy is innocent. Period.

But we're not talking about criminal. We're talking about public perception. In that realm, it's up to each individual to determine who does and does not deserve the benefit of the doubt, and for what topics. There is no "innocent until proven guilty" maxim in this context.
OK, if all that ever comes from this is this unsupported allegation I will consider him absolutely innocent. Wouldn’t most objective people?

OK, if all that ever comes from this is this unsupported allegation I will consider him absolutely innocent. Wouldn’t most objective people?
Probably. I just thought you were a bit sloppy with your statement there. You seemed to imply there was some important "innocent until proven guilty" principle at play, but then admitted Trump wouldn't get the same benefit. But that particular principle applies to all equally, regardless of how awful they are. But it also only applies in a specific context. That's all.

Your first sentence is accurate, but is the opposite of the song you sang when Hillary Clinton's constant continuing criminality was the point of discussion.

What exactly is it you think she should have done differently?

If it were me, I would have immediately met with the complaint to determine credibility, and if credible, turned the matter over to the FBI, on condition the individual go public.

The way Feinstein handled it is terrible for Kavanaugh. She made it worse by going public after sitting on it for months. I think her conduct was deliberate and is highly unethical.

If it were me, I would have immediately met with the complaint to determine credibility, and if credible, turned the matter over to the FBI, on condition the individual go public.

The way Feinstein handled it is terrible for Kavanaugh. She made it worse by going public after sitting on it for months. I think her conduct was deliberate and is highly unethical.

Her actions are disappointing. She’s one senator I actually thought had some ethics. Her only purpose was sliming Kavanaugh at the very end. The truth wasn’t important.

She didn't go public. She was forced. Probably by other Dems who thought she should have made it a thing. But I fail to see what her failure was here.

I guess the question I have is whether our standards are such that even actions by teenagers - long before their brains are fully developed - are going to be judged in accordance with the actions we'd expect of someone in their 40s, or even their late 20s.

I'm hesitant to give this standard the same credence as that which we'd use for actions during one's full adulthood. Otherwise, we'll either disqualify the entire population or get left with someone like Mike Pence as the sole qualified candidate. I'd much rather have someone with a small skeleton in their closet, and a regret or two, with which to understand with more depth the vagaries of life.

It's only a small skeleton if you own what happened and express contrition. Otherwise, it's something you never learned from. If there is any truth to Kavanaugh being involved in something regrettable here when he was young, I'd be disappointed in him denying it. That would point to a larger problem for me than many offenses in this arena.

Reactions: Bill4411

My 91 year old grandma, who is a due in the wool D said tonight that "this happened in high school, and I'm afraid that the Democrats are grasping at straws." They can't do anything to stop Kavanaugh, unfortunately, and this isn't it.

According to the report by Farrow and Mayer I linked above, Feinstein unsuccessfully tried to suppress the letter, but was pressured into releasing it to the FBI as knowledge of its existence spread. Many of her fellow Democrats -- with whom she refused to share the letter -- are pissed at her. If this reporting is accurate (and Farrow and Mayer are two of the best right now), then you've completely miscast Feinstein, who didn't want the letter to come out at all, as the villain of a plot to produce it at the 11th hour.

Reactions: Bill4411
Feinstein has never been a partisan bomb-thrower, and even without the reporting by Farrow and Mayer it would strain credulity that she's suddenly become one here. But too many believe whatever they choose, even if it makes little sense.
Feinstein caught flak today for not being partisan enough. The Dems are the ones who complained. But as soon as "complain" and "Feinstein" hit the airwaves, the Usual Suspects jumped on board to explain why she was evil incarnate.

Feinstein has never been a partisan bomb-thrower, and even without the reporting by Farrow and Mayer it would strain credulity that she's suddenly become one here. But too many believe whatever they choose, even if it makes little sense.
Conservatives are deeply afraid of powerful women.

Reactions: T.M.P.
According to the report by Farrow and Mayer I linked above, Feinstein unsuccessfully tried to suppress the letter, but was pressured into releasing it to the FBI as knowledge of its existence spread. Many of her fellow Democrats -- with whom she refused to share the letter -- are pissed at her. If this reporting is accurate (and Farrow and Mayer are two of the best right now), then you've completely miscast Feinstein, who didn't want the letter to come out at all, as the villain of a plot to produce it at the 11th hour.
IF that’s true than I’d change my mind about whether she should be censured.

Reactions: MrBing and hoosboot
IF that’s true than I’d change my mind about whether she should be censured.
The article goes farther, saying she didn't want to drag the woman through what the Pubs would do to her and wanted to defeat Kavanaugh through the legal side of things because that would make the Dems look better. So there are elements of kindness and political tactics involved, but none of deserving anything remotely censure.

She didn't go public. She was forced. Probably by other Dems who thought she should have made it a thing. But I fail to see what her failure was here.

Pressure from other unethical people isn’t an excuse to be unethical yourself. Down deep you know doing this at the end after having it two months isn’t right.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The article goes farther, saying she didn't want to drag the woman through what the Pubs would do to her and wanted to defeat Kavanaugh through the legal side of things because that would make the Dems look better. So there are elements of kindness and political tactics involved, but none of deserving anything remotely censure.

Have you disclosed what your new name will be next week?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You have no consideration for what this is doing to Kavanaugh if this is a false accusation or false memory or otherwise isn’t true? If there is no supporting evidence whatsoever, isn’t this solely a cheap political tactic by the Democrats?

How do you think knowledge of the the letter leaked and spread? It had to come from Feinstein or her high staff? No?

In any event, Feinstein should have either pursued it or burned from the get go. Sitting on a possible bombshell was not a reasonable alternative. Kavanaugh was not my first choice of the finalists, we could have had a different nominee.

True, Feinstein has not been a conspicuous bomb thrower. But she sat on this letter and she was in exclusive control of it. The story blew up in a manner to do the most damage to Kavanaugh. Darrow and Mayer are merely reporting what the Feinstein camp would be expected to say.

Short story....his prior username was Latin for telling someone to go have relations with themselves.....but nobody realized (or cared) for a long while.

That is funny. Maybe he has those urges.

The plot thickens. A letter signed by 65 women that went to high school with Kavanaugh was just released by Republicans. So they obviously knew this was out there.
Perhaps this list was just a prophylactic measure given the #MeToo hysteria but there is at least a 50-50 chance that this was a signal by the committee majority that they knew of the allegation and were willing to burn to the ground the unnamed complainant with a wall of counter-narrative should any of Kavanaugh's DNA start appearing on random Coke cans. This leaves Feinstein holding a letter that she has to do something with and she makes the best play available. She goes full-Kamala-Harris and throws innuendo about like confetti knowing that a placid and compliant press will run with whatever she tells them.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT