ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas

...or they could play 3 players short for the next game. I get what you're trying to say, but 4 on 5 in bball is different than 10-11 in soccer. Suspending the players involved I think is fine as a penalty, it's just a matter of for how long. In Desousa's case, it should be for many games and that sucks for him... they guy who is at fault; what's wrong with that? No reason to penalize paying fans in future games by playing a mismatch. I'd not even want to go see a game where a team had to play 4-5 for a period of time.
Screw Kansas and the unethical culture that Dollar Bill Self has built.
I hope Self goes down in flames.

IU had a player endanger his life and the lives of others and he was suspended for two games. A kid was nearly killed in a vehicular accident and the suspensions weren’t as long as what the KU player will get from the school.
Off court incident vs on court incident with coach in charge of his team on the floor and accountable for their actions in his presence.

Second chance, with shown remorse, is fine. But third, fourth, fifth?
No. At some point an adult needs to stand up for what is right.
I am still amazed the KU alums are not upset.
I'm surprised KU alums have not asked for Dollar Bill Self to resign in disgust and embarrassment to the university.

Unlike Weber who pretty much talked around the incident in post game comments. I personally don't care for either coach but Self seemed more upset with the incident
I don't like Weber's anti-IU bias cultivated while on the bench at Purdue and Ill.
But I have zero respect for the unethical sleaze culture at KU under Self.

Off court incident vs on court incident with coach in charge of his team on the floor and accountable for their actions in his presence.
One far more dangerous and potentially harmful than the other but, if those are the standards, so be it. But in what way has Self not been fully accountable for his program? He immediately condemned the conduct of the players and accepted responsibility for what occurred.

I'm surprised KU alums have not asked for Dollar Bill Self to resign in disgust and embarrassment to the university.

It's only a matter of time... if they stop winning conference championships and playing for national ones. As long as he's winning, he's not going anywhere, unless he pulls more serious stunts. And I guess after the Snoop Dog cash gun, that would have to be murdering someone? If he did that, I think they might actually get serious about punishing him. Maybe.

It's only a matter of time... if they stop winning conference championships and playing for national ones. As long as he's winning, he's not going anywhere, unless he pulls more serious stunts.

That sounds strangely familiar.

Darth-Vader-quotes.jpg

Reactions: kkott
They’re kids. They made mistakes. Some of you want their lives ruined over this.

I’m sure they have a lot going on behind the scenes in terms of discipline. They’re suspended for a few games. I think it’s appropriate. Give them another chance.
I can't believe there is a poster who makes sense on this thread. Self, Izzy, Kansas, MSU don't read the threads from this forum. Nobody outside of a small group of self-righteous zealots cares about the opinions they express. Yet, they rant and rave as if the world is coming to an end.

Reactions: fpeaugh

https://www.si.com/vault/1972/02/07/565933/an-ugly-affair-in-minneapolis

Watching the video of Kansas, Kansas State immediately put me in mind of the famous Ohio State, Minnesota mugging in The Barn in February of '72, for those of you old enough to remember it. I was still in grade school at the time, but have very clear memories from the Sports Illustrated article, which I've attached. The two Gopher players were suspended for the remainder of the season. Marquette had been involved in another brawl only a week earlier.
I remember that. Wasn’t it Dave Winfield who sucker punched somebody?

Second chance, with shown remorse, is fine. But third, fourth, fifth?
No. At some point an adult needs to stand up for what is right.
I am still amazed the KU alums are not upset.
The problem with some Coaches is they suffer from the Father Flanigan Complex. There are no bad kids, just misunderstood people. They all deserve multiple chances with the hope that the learned from their previous mistakes.
The problem is that these kids take this attitude into real life situations. If these incidents happened on the street they would be charged with Assault and Battery at the least. The penalties for that are much greater than a 3 game suspension.
This doesn't only involve athletes. I look periodically at some of the online newspapers from my home state of Wisconsin. I am amazed at the number of stories I see about people arrested for their 7th, 8th, or 9th DUI. How are these people on the street? Obviously they didn't learn from their mistakes because there were never significant consequences for their initial conduct. How does a person with a lifetime suspension, no license, no way to insure a car get to acquire and title a vehicle, and what type of idiot would allow themselves to be used as a straw man buyer or owner of a car and allow a person with that history to drive it?

His eligibility issues aren’t material to the fight, he won’t be sued, and he won’t be charged criminally. He’s been suspended by the B12 for a dozen games (if I recall correctly) and his suspension from KU May last longer than that. Self may simply decide that he’s out of patience and kicks him off the team permanently. Just saying that the knee jerk reactions are way over the top, even if it was an ugly incident. It’s sports. Sometimes emotions get the better of people. Who should know that better than IU fans?
Wow, snowflake response. Just kids - all is ok. The damn guy raised a chair over his head with spectators at his feet - sorry, this is not okay at all and demands he not play again at KU or in college.

Reactions: Jssanto and ufo33
I remember that. Wasn’t it Dave Winfield who sucker punched somebody?
Winfield was on that team, but the 3 players from Minnesota involved in the major part of the brawl were Jim Brewer, Ron Behagen, and Corky Taylor.

Winfield was on that team, but the 3 players from Minnesota involved in the major part of the brawl were Jim Brewer, Ron Behagen, and Corky Taylor.

Winfield threw some punches. But Taylor and Behagen did the worst of it. I think it was Taylor who offered Witte a hand up after the foul and then kneed him in the nuts.

I can't believe there is a poster who makes sense on this thread. Self, Izzy, Kansas, MSU don't read the threads from this forum. Nobody outside of a small group of self-righteous zealots cares about the opinions they express. Yet, they rant and rave as if the world is coming to an end.
This board has never really been rational or reasonable. At least not the loud crowd.

This board has never really been rational or reasonable. At least not the loud crowd.
What has gotten into you? You’ve been part of the loud, unreasonable and irrational crowd for a long time. You seem to be trying to live that down today. Are you taking new meds? Are you just having some good days lately?

Reactions: MrBing
One far more dangerous and potentially harmful than the other but, if those are the standards, so be it. But in what way has Self not been fully accountable for his program? He immediately condemned the conduct of the players and accepted responsibility for what occurred.
Has Self taken responsibility for $100K+ payments to recruits?
So Self accepting responsibility should be immediately suspended until further notice.

Reactions: Jssanto
The colleges do control the NCAA. Are you saying they should be given even more power to self regulate? You think self regulation is the answer?

On top of that, this was the punishment from their conference, Big 12, and not the NCAA. I don't know that the NCAA will do anything about this.

I do agree that the punishments seem light. More than 2 from each team definitely should have been suspended for at least 1 game. While De Sousa is technically suspended indefinitely by the school, I don't think anyone believes that it'll be longer than the 12 games handed down by the conference. It's also no coincidence that he'll be back just in time for the post season.
The punishment should come from the NCAA. The conference could protect their best team and not give them the proper punishment.

The NCAA needs an overhaul. We keep hearing how players need to be paid because "times have changed". The NCAA needs to change. It doesn't seem the NCAA is representing the schools with equal application of the rules. Who expects them to find Self violated rules by paying players? Who thinks they will drag it out until everyone has forgotten about it? It is time for a vote of no confidence and do a courtesy flush of the NCAA.

This does not involve IU (or PU; slight asterisk that Bruce Weber started at PU and now is KSU Head coach) but if you somehow have not seen the “brawl” you should.
De Sousa was suspended by the league, pending his and the school’s appeal, multiple games for throwing punches and lifting a chair over his head to attack KSU players.
Same guy who was suspended for two years following the FBI investigation of 2018 but the school negotiated it so he could play this year.
1. Why are Kansas alums not calling for his dismissal?
2. Why does not Self dismiss him from the team permanently?
3. Why are the students not vocal?
Maybe others have an answer but all I can see is a program that places winning above life.
Here is what I think was such a shame with this incident. It all had to do with unsportmanlike conduct. The game was over and Kansas was dribbling it out. The Kansas State player gets all cute and decides to steal the ball to get two meaningless point. So Kansas is not happy with this and De Sousa blocks the shot of the kid going for a layup. He can't just leave it at that. He has to stand over him to degrade him. Both of those players if they had just had better conduct then all of this would not have happened. It's all about respect for the opponent. If you are beat then take it like a man. If you block a shot then don't disrespect your opponent by standing over him and gloating.

Reactions: IUXC68
The punishment should come from the NCAA. The conference could protect their best team and not give them the proper punishment.

The NCAA needs an overhaul. We keep hearing how players need to be paid because "times have changed". The NCAA needs to change. It doesn't seem the NCAA is representing the schools with equal application of the rules. Who expects them to find Self violated rules by paying players? Who thinks they will drag it out until everyone has forgotten about it? It is time for a vote of no confidence and do a courtesy flush of the NCAA.

I blame Myles Brand. He was going to clean up the NCAA like he did Indiana basketball. Instead he ruined both.

I am still awaiting the name of the program and time that the off-court incident described in this thread took place.

Here is what I think was such a shame with this incident. It all had to do with unsportmanlike conduct. The game was over and Kansas was dribbling it out. The Kansas State player gets all cute and decides to steal the ball to get two meaningless point. So Kansas is not happy with this and De Sousa blocks the shot of the kid going for a layup. He can't just leave it at that. He has to stand over him to degrade him. Both of those players if they had just had better conduct then all of this would not have happened. It's all about respect for the opponent. If you are beat then take it like a man. If you block a shot then don't disrespect your opponent by standing over him and gloating.

I have no problem with what the KSU guy did, unless his Coach told him not to guard and let the clock run out. I was the same kind of guy: I'm probably playing until the buzzer sounds. I also have no problem with the KU player getting pissed and trying to block his shot. Reasonably he could have let him go, but reason doesn't always takeover. As you said, the problem was him standing over him.... him raising the chair... To me, KU players were the instigators and I think should bear the brunt of any suspensions or punishment.

Reactions: Jssanto
I have no problem with what the KSU guy did, unless his Coach told him not to guard and let the clock run out. I was the same kind of guy: I'm probably playing until the buzzer sounds. I also have no problem with the KU player getting pissed and trying to block his shot. Reasonably he could have let him go, but reason doesn't always takeover. As you said, the problem was him standing over him.... him raising the chair... To me, KU players were the instigators and I think should bear the brunt of any suspensions or punishment.

KU had the worst behavior overall but KSU players and the clown in the white pants have plenty of culpability in the escalation.

KU had the worst behavior overall but KSU players and the clown in the white pants have plenty of culpability in the escalation.

I disagree... except for the kid you mention.. black shirt and white pants, he was overboard. You can have all the rules in place about not leaving the bench you want, but when I see another guy standing over my teammate like that and then a fight starts, I'm going to get his back. Yes, it's against the rules and there might be consequences, but that's just human nature and I think is why KSU is seeing less penalties. As a Coach, I'd tell my kids you can't leave the bench in that situation, but I'd not be too upset they did with the other teams behavior. EDIT: In fact, I'd probably be a bit proud and wonder if I had a chemistry problem if no one did. I suspect this year's IU team would leave the bench to help a teammate. Last year, I have my doubts.

Last edited:
I disagree... except for the kid you mention.. black shirt and white pants, he was overboard. You can have all the rules in place about not leaving the bench you want, but when I see another guy standing over my teammate like that and then a fight starts, I'm going to get his back. Yes, it's against the rules and there might be consequences, but that's just human nature and I think is why KSU is seeing less penalties. As a Coach, I'd tell my kids you can't leave the bench in that situation, but I'd not be too upset they did with the other teams behavior.

oh well

ADVERTISEMENT