ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Thoughts on IU Basketball

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Talent
On December 23 I watched IU play KSU. Afterwards, I watched a recording of the Atlanta Hawks vs Detroit from earlier that evening. When opportunity was presented to IU players, IU traveled, botched lobs., bounce passed into traffic. dribbled into traffic, did not respond to double teams, etc. When opportunity was presented to Hawks’ players, the Hawks put their boot on Detroit’s throat. I realize that the 2 games are not an apples to apples comparison, but the ability to respond to relative opportunity remains valid. IU made way too many non-competitive responses. By not responding to opportunity, IU allowed KSU to conclude that IU wasn’t that good and that KSU had a chance to win.

Right now, I’m 50-50 on not that good versus just not playing well.

Defense
When IU played North Carolina, I was astounded by IU’s intensity on defense and ability to dislodge UNC from its offense. I thought at the time that if IU could step up its defense against top 25 competition, then IU was going to be a tough out throughout the season.

So, my question is what happened to IU’s defense? Arizona, Rutgers, Kansas? I know UNC is a good team because I watched them play well against Michigan and Ohio State. This defensive let down is on IU.

Offense
In another thread a poster referenced a breakdown on the premium board of IU’s offense. Could someone summarize that breakdown without breaking any forum rules?

Rutgers
Since the end of the Tom Crean era, Rutgers has dominated IU, talked smack to IU’s players, e.g. Baker and Harper, and generally dissed the state of IU basketball. Is there no one among IU coaches and players to step up and say, “This stops here”?

Wisconsin
See Rutgers. Substitute Bob Knight for Tom Crean.

Arizona
I would like to watch a recording of the Utah – Arizona game. Tough teams, Utah, Tennessee, Creighton, play Arizona tough. IU was not competitive.

Jalen Hood-Shifino
I am not attacking JHS. I am only asking a basketball question. Is JHS quick enough to play in the NBA? NBA point guards are really good and really quick. When KSU guards got in the grill of JHS, he didn’t attack them. He didn’t force them to defend the dribble-drive. Usually, he relieved defensive pressure by passing the ball. I know he scored 18 points, but I thought he could have done a lot more to break down the defense, like Xavier Johnson (the good one) would have done. I just don’t see JHS in the NBA next year.

Trace Jackson-Davis
I apologize for revisiting an old topic, but couldn’t TJD do so much more for IU’s offense and for his own professional prospects by developing a mid-range game? I fail to understand why TJD doesn’t see a mid-range game as an opportunity, in fact a money-making opportunity? Malik Reneau take note.

A brief sum up of your post with a response.
Agree IU does not always play with the same effort or intensity. Maybe that is on the teams upper classmen?
We all talked constantly about the need for TJD to develop his right hand and a mid range game. It simple has not happened or at least has not yet been shown. That would seem to be on TJD himself.
I do not follow the NBA so I do not know if JHS can play after one college year. Seems less likely to be a pro at 19 yo or so. But a team might also take him with no plan to play him for the first 1-2 years. I do not know how feasible that pathway is.
Regarding talent, I fear we are not quite as good as we first thought. We have seen the ceiling of Trace, Race, Miller, and X. What will be the development of Malik, Tamar, CJ, Kaleb, and JHS on the short term (the big ten season) and the long term (next year).

Thank goodness we have JHS. Tamar seems to be coming alive. Where would we be without them? At this point both are critical for success in conference play.

Number of offensive possessions where IU dribbles 3+ times every time someone catches the ball is astoundingly high.

Move the ball by passing and move without the basketball off of screens.

Reactions: dr.jb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT