ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Solich fired after 58 wins and 19 losses at Nebraska

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Think about that. Solich won more than 75% of his games for the Cornhuskers. Before that he was an assistant coach forTom Osborne for 19 seasons. And why did he leave Nebraska? He was fired because he did not win enough big games.

Tom Allen is now 24 wins and 23 losses as a head coach at Indiana. The prior 13 coaches for the Hoosiers all had losing records before they were fired with the tragic exception of Coach Hep. Frank Solich would have been the greatest coach at Indiana in the schools history. And again, he was fired at Nebraska.

But here in Indiana there is a perverse support of mediocre or crappy coaches. Add to that that it has an athletic department that has no concept of how to build winning football programs. Over the last 25 years I have observed on this website that the quickest way to get kicked off is to say mean things about the coaching staff. There seems to be a growing consensus at the reason Indiana football has been so traditionally mediocre is that the fans leave before the end of the game. Statistically the Hoosiers greatest season ever was played without any fans!

Two Michigan State alums paid a $100 million multi-year package for their football coach and they suck right now. I hate to break the news to some of you but Hiller sucks as a football coach. Walt Bell sucks as a football coach. And yet they are coddled in Bloomington because nobody wants to hurt their feelings. Does anybody think Walt Bell is going to turn the Hoosier football program around after coaching University of Massachusetts to two wins and 23 losses as the worst football program in the country?

Mike Davis was run out of town a couple of years after taking the Hoosiers to the national championship game. For a while Tom Crean had the Hoosiers ranked as the number one team in the country.

If Frank Solich had his Nebraska success at Indiana they would have renamed the football stadium after him.

But in Hoosier Nation loyalty is extremely important. They went halfway down the hall to hire the last football coach and they hired an ex student manager of the basketball team to be the athletic director. And the athletic director before that was a lawyer who might have played high school basketball.

And how do the Hoosiers make radical changes in the football program? They change quarterbacks. It's tantamount to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. But now since amateurism at power 5 schools has been thrown out the window and players can be paid, the only way that the Hoosier football program is going to be turned around js if wholesale changes are made to the coaching staff and real professionals coaches are brought in just like the basketball program did with Mike Woodson. For some reason it was okay for alums to give Tom Green $10 million to get the hell out of town. And what did Mike Woodson do at the end of his first season? He fired Dane Fife! And yet Dolson made Tom Allen take money out of his own pocket to fire Sheridan after last season. Wtf!

After next week's homecoming game against Michigan the last Hoosier coach with a winning record is going to be Bo McMillan. The coaching staff from two years ago has been dismantled and the players have been replaced. Wake up and smell the coffee! And stop blaming us disgruntled fans. LOL. I mean LEO,

If I was Tom Allen I wouldn't wait until the end of the season to fire Hiller and Bell.

Last edited:
If I were Tom Allen I would resign.

Separating football and basketball. Bob Knight ran things not an AD when he was in his prime. Faults aside IU found the greatest mind in the game and a man with a huge personality who was loyal to IU . He won and he won big and did it in ways almost everyone loved. TA is making almost 6 million a year? SIX MILLION for this crap? Id be so embarrassed I would take my buyout and just retire. I wouldnt even take whatever the buyout is but enough to live out and just go away and be forgotten. What did Lee Corso make? He was better than Allen . I cant even imagine signing checks that are almost 500k a game for what we are seeing. The first play tonight shows just how bad of a coach he is .

• Haha
Reactions: Torbin.Bequette
Here is a strange one from last night's game. Walt Bell was Head Coach at UMass for several years, On the Nebraska sideline they showed a shot of Mark Whipple who is an Assistant Coach for them. He Coached at UMass before Bell (I'm not sure if Bell directly succeeded Him, or if there was someone in between).

The point is you have two guys who washed out as Head Coaches at the same School, on opposite sides of the field on the staffs of two programs that appear to be sinking ships. This is what is wrong with Coaching Staffs and Hires, Too much buddy - buddy stuff. It's one thing to want people around You that You know and Trust, It's another to hire Bob because He is a long time friend Who has been fired twice in the past 5 years and needs a paycheck.

The other thing is look at how Coaches are hired today. If We fire Tom Allen tomorrow what happens? Scott Dolsen doesn't want to take full responsibility for the hire because if the Coach fails, He lives or dies with the hire. So He forms a search Committee appointing prominent Alumni, and the University pays them a fee or expenses and per diem for their involvement. But we still need one more of insulation for the process, so We hire a Search Firm which probably consists of former NCAA Compliance Employees, and washed out over the hill coaches and Athletic Directors. So the Committee approves paying the Search Firm $5 Million Dollars for their work. The dirty little secret is that the Search Firm really doesn't perform a Search. They are more like a Warehoue and Clearing Firm, keeping resumes and current information of Coaching Candidates who pay them a fee for doing so. So We only get referrals to candidates Who choose to keep their information on file with the Firm. Now You have a Circular Firing Squad. If things don't work out Everybody can point their finger at someone else, nobody has to accept responsibility, and everybody made some money off the structure and window dressing.

While We are screwing around with all of these things, somehow Kansas manages to find Lance Leopold at University of Buffalo. limited DI experience, but extensive D3 success at University Wisconsin Whitewater. They hire Him and it appears He has their program turned around in less than 2 Years I don't know if Kansas used a Search Firm, but their AD looks like a genius.

Idk who hired Leipold either, But the former KU AD who hired Les Miles before him, did get fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT