ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas

Jssanto

All-Big Ten
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
This does not involve IU (or PU; slight asterisk that Bruce Weber started at PU and now is KSU Head coach) but if you somehow have not seen the “brawl” you should.
De Sousa was suspended by the league, pending his and the school’s appeal, multiple games for throwing punches and lifting a chair over his head to attack KSU players.
Same guy who was suspended for two years following the FBI investigation of 2018 but the school negotiated it so he could play this year.
1. Why are Kansas alums not calling for his dismissal?
2. Why does not Self dismiss him from the team permanently?
3. Why are the students not vocal?
Maybe others have an answer but all I can see is a program that places winning above life.

Well, the fans paid for a basketball game and got WWE instead. Seriously, the Big 12 should suspend both squads for the remainder of the Season. The NCAA should ban them both from the Tournament for this year. If the Big 8 doesn't do this, the NCAA should suspend the programs for all of this year and all of next year. That will clean this stuff up, and put other schools on notice to control your Players.

Kansas is in enough trouble already with the Shoe Scandal Investigation. However, Kansas is viewed as an untouchable by the NCAA because they generate so much revenue.

This does not involve IU (or PU; slight asterisk that Bruce Weber started at PU and now is KSU Head coach) but if you somehow have not seen the “brawl” you should.
De Sousa was suspended by the league, pending his and the school’s appeal, multiple games for throwing punches and lifting a chair over his head to attack KSU players.
Same guy who was suspended for two years following the FBI investigation of 2018 but the school negotiated it so he could play this year.
Maybe others have an answer but all I can see is a program that places winning above life.
IU had a player endanger his life and the lives of others and he was suspended for two games. A kid was nearly killed in a vehicular accident and the suspensions weren’t as long as what the KU player will get from the school.

Reactions: T.M.P. and fpeaugh
Well, the fans paid for a basketball game and got WWE instead. Seriously, the Big 12 should suspend both squads for the remainder of the Season. The NCAA should ban them both from the Tournament for this year. If the Big 8 doesn't do this, the NCAA should suspend the programs for all of this year and all of next year. That will clean this stuff up, and put other schools on notice to control your Players.

Kansas is in enough trouble already with the Shoe Scandal Investigation. However, Kansas is viewed as an untouchable by the NCAA because they generate so much revenue.

I’m all for throwing the book at the players who participated in this melee. But your idea sounds more like dropping a bookstore on the entire teams.

I agree that the penalties thus far seem a bit light. That was the ugliest display I’ve seen at a sporting since the Malice at the Palace...and it might have even been worse than that.

Reactions: Jssanto
IU had a player endanger his life and the lives of others and he was suspended for two games. A kid was nearly killed in a vehicular accident and the suspensions weren’t as long as what the KU player will get from the school.

What??? This happened in a game... I've missed a lot more IU basketball over the last several years than I would like, but I don't recall one of our players driving a car on the court during a game. All kinds of crap happens off the court, and those are going to be inherently lesser penalties, except if criminal penalties when appropriate.

Reactions: Sassy61 and Jssanto
What??? This happened in a game... I've missed a lot more IU basketball over the last several years than I would like, but I don't recall one of our players driving a car on the court during a game. All kinds of crap happens off the court, and those are going to be inherently lesser penalties, except if criminal penalties when appropriate.
I understand that, but would suggest that the proposed nuclear option is overkill and based solely on it happening during a game. Suspending kids for a few games makes sense, but overreacting doesn’t solve anything.

I understand that, but would suggest that the proposed nuclear option is overkill and based solely on it happening during a game. Suspending kids for a few games makes sense, but overreacting doesn’t solve anything.

Well, I guess we can just disagree. This happened during a game, with a kid the NCAA had determined was already of questionable character. That's their domain and purview. Kids dicking around with cars, or fake IDs is a legal issue and dealt with criminally. Not that the school can't also issue punishment there, but it's totally understandable why this is going to get extra attention and penalties: 1) happened in a game, 2) raised a chair as a weapon (criminal action also, btw, and I'd be shocked if he doesn't get sued too), and 3) repeat offender. I don't know what will happen, but I totally get why this could/should be a severe penalty from the NCAA and the school. And, I totally get why KSU has pretty limited penalties... other than for kids leaving the bench. To me, all they did was defend themselves, and even the redshirt kid in streetclothes was just standing up for his teammates. I think the KSU players, outside of that kid, should have no or limited penalties from what I've seen. DeSouza was the aggressor, stood over and taunted the kid after the block, was the initiator of almost every escalation in the fight and raised a chair to hit someone. I'd be fine if the next time I see or hear his name is in the G League, or somewhere in Europe, and think the NCAA would be well within their scope to do that.

PS. I'm not sure what you meant by "nuclear option" so I agree, if some dumbass proposed shutting down the program over this, then yeah, that's overkill. Nuclear option for Desouza, however, to me seems reasonable and within the NCAA and KU's jurisdiction.

Last edited:
I’m all for throwing the book at the players who participated in this melee. But your idea sounds more like dropping a bookstore on the entire teams.

I agree that the penalties thus far seem a bit light. That was the ugliest display I’ve seen at a sporting since the Malice at the Palace...and it might have even been worse than that.
That may be a little heavy handed, but here is my problem. I saw a quote by Bill Self that was along the lines of this is just Immaturity of the Players. I think we all understand that a Coach can't be a 24/7 babysitter, and that 18-22 year olds make poor decisions. So, if something like underage drinking or DUI takes place away from the Court, it's hard to hold the Coach responsible.
But this is an on the Court incident. The same Coach who tries to control every possession, every offensive and defensive set, every matchup and use of every timeout, can't control the on court behavior of his Players? That doesn't wash with me.

Well, I guess we can just disagree. This happened during a game, with a kid the NCAA had determined was already of questionable character. That's their domain and purview. Kids dicking around with cars, or fake IDs is a legal issue and dealt with criminally. Not that the school can't also issue punishment there, but it's totally understandable why this is going to get extra attention and penalties: 1) happened in a game, 2) raised a chair as a weapon (criminal action also, btw, and I'd be shocked if he doesn't get sued too), and 3) repeat offender. I don't know what will happen, but I totally get why this could/should be a severe penalty from the NCAA and the school. And, I totally get why KSU has pretty limited penalties... other than for kids leaving the bench. To me, all they did was defend themselves, and even the redshirt kid in streetclothes was just standing up for his teammates. I think the KSU players, outside of that kid, should have no or limited penalties from what I've seen. DeSouza was the aggressor, stood over and taunted the kid after the block, was the initiator of almost every escalation in the fight and raised a chair to hit someone. I'd be fine if the next time I see or hear his name is in the G League, or somewhere in Europe, and think the NCAA would be well within their scope to do that.

I haven't watched it, but a player getting into a heated moment on court seems a lot less egregious to me than say someone drunk driving and running over your teammate, basically ending what could have been a promising career. Recall, it's not hard for most of us to remember the most salient incident with a courtside chair, lighten up Francis. Recall also, Mike Lewis intentionally breaking that a-hole from Iowa's face on in-bound pass, which I'd still congratulate him on to this day. We need more guys like that, Lewis/Cardinal (PU) mentatlity

Last edited:
The NCAA is beyond repair and needs to be replaced with an organization led by college administrators.

There were 3 Kansas players kicking, punching, or stepping on someone on the ground. There were many that came off the bench. I expected the 3 from Kansas to get multiple game suspensions and the rest that left the bench to get 1 game. Only 2 players were suspended, but all will be back with the team for the NCAA.

KSU also should have had suspensions, but they weren't ganging up on one player or threatening others with a chair. One player was suspended 8 games and another 3.

The NCAA did what they could to keep KU at the top of the rankings when a proper punishment would be for them to play without those 3 key people in the fight for multiple games and everyone else involved one game. It shouldn't matter that either team might have to play walk on players or dress managers. It actually wouldn't be that bad. There were players on the court that did not fight and tried to pull players back. Since they were already in the game, they would have been safe.

The rule in our house was to not reward bad behavior. Allowing that third KU player and everyone else that broke a known rule about leaving the bench get away with something is wrong. There is no deterrent for any other player reacting the same way in the future.

Just my opinion, but track record means a lot. De Sousa and Kansas have a track record. I would have dismissed DeSousa forever, reviewed films for punishment of others, and kept Kansas off the NCAA this year.

His eligibility issues aren’t material to the fight, he won’t be sued, and he won’t be charged criminally. He’s been suspended by the B12 for a dozen games (if I recall correctly) and his suspension from KU May last longer than that. Self may simply decide that he’s out of patience and kicks him off the team permanently. Just saying that the knee jerk reactions are way over the top, even if it was an ugly incident. It’s sports. Sometimes emotions get the better of people. Who should know that better than IU fans?

I haven't watched it, but a player getting into a heated moment on court seems a lot less egregious to me than say someone drunk driving and running over your teammate, basically ending what could have been a promising career. Recall, it's not hard for most of us to remember the most salient incident with a courtside chair, lighten up Francis
If you haven't watched it, why comment on it?

Reactions: HillzHoozier
That may be a little heavy handed, but here is my problem. I saw a quote by Bill Self that was along the lines of this is just Immaturity of the Players. I think we all understand that a Coach can't be a 24/7 babysitter, and that 18-22 year olds make poor decisions. So, if something like underage drinking or DUI takes place away from the Court, it's hard to hold the Coach responsible.
But this is an on the Court incident. The same Coach who tries to control every possession, every offensive and defensive set, every matchup and use of every timeout, can't control the on court behavior of his Players? That doesn't wash with me.
Self admitted wrongdoing on KU’s part immediately. He didn’t excuse it in any way.

The NCAA is beyond repair and needs to be replaced with an organization led by college administrators.

There were 3 Kansas players kicking, punching, or stepping on someone on the ground. There were many that came off the bench. I expected the 3 from Kansas to get multiple game suspensions and the rest that left the bench to get 1 game. Only 2 players were suspended, but all will be back with the team for the NCAA. And didn’t the Big 12 render the punishment, as would be their option and responsibility? The NCAA doesn’t have an

KSU also should have had suspensions, but they weren't ganging up on one player or threatening others with a chair. One player was suspended 8 games and another 3.

The NCAA did what they could to keep KU at the top of the rankings when a proper punishment would be for them to play without those 3 key people in the fight for multiple games and everyone else involved one game. It shouldn't matter that either team might have to play walk on players or dress managers. It actually wouldn't be that bad. There were players on the court that did not fight and tried to pull players back. Since they were already in the game, they would have been safe.

The rule in our house was to not reward bad behavior. Allowing that third KU player and everyone else that broke a known rule about leaving the bench get away with something is wrong. There is no deterrent for any other player reacting the same way in the future.
The NCAA is the representative body of college administrators. The Presidents control it. And didn’t the Big 12 render the punishment? Why would the NCAA involve themselves over the more appropriate responsibility of the conference?

I haven't watched it, but a player getting into a heated moment on court seems a lot less egregious to me than say someone drunk driving and running over your teammate, basically ending what could have been a promising career.

I would agree. Interested in when and where that happened though.

I haven't watched it, but a player getting into a heated moment on court seems a lot less egregious to me than say someone drunk driving and running over your teammate, basically ending what could have been a promising career. Recall, it's not hard for most of us to remember the most salient incident with a courtside chair, lighten up Francis

What kind of dumbass comment is it to say you haven't watched it and then comment on it? While it was also asinine, RMK just tossed a chair in frustration, he didn't threaten anyone with it. This kid picked it up over his head and was ready to clock someone with it in the middle of a fight, until it got wrestled out of his arms. For those that don't know, the threat is the assault part of assault and battery. He assaulted someone, and I'd agree, he won't be criminally charged for that, but frankly I'll be surprised if he's not sued. And, where did I say hitting someone in a car wasn't as bad? I just said that gets more out of the NCAA's hands and in to the school and law enforcement. Plus, knowing stupid drunk teenager stunts as I do, and from what little I recall of the incident, I believe the victim in that case was ****ing around and showing off by trying to jump over the car, so the penalty was sort of self-inflicted if that version is accurate.

Just my opinion, but track record means a lot. De Sousa and Kansas have a track record. I would have dismissed DeSousa forever, reviewed films for punishment of others, and kept Kansas off the NCAA this year.

absolutely track record can be a factor. It's what the whole idea of zero tolerance was about. It's easy to forgive someone who got caught up in the moment and less so if you've told that knucklehead before "no more trouble out of you, or else!"

I haven't watched it, but a player getting into a heated moment on court seems a lot less egregious to me than say someone drunk driving and running over your teammate, basically ending what could have been a promising career. Recall, it's not hard for most of us to remember the most salient incident with a courtside chair, lighten up Francis. Recall also, Mike Lewis intentionally breaking that a-hole from Iowa's face on in-bound pass, which I'd still congratulate him on to this day. We need more guys like that, Lewis/Cardanil mentatlity
It amazes me that you and the usual culprits hijack this thread for another round of complaints about IU and it's players. Is that all you live for? With regard to this situation the punishment feels appropriate to me. I have a bigger concern that the NCAA will not aggressively pursue Kansas and the other culprits named in the FBI probe from last year. I know Kansas at least has received notice of a probe.

KU has gotten the bulk of the bad press on this but KSU has a ton of culpability in the escalation. Given the rules in place about leaving the bench the punishments doled out thus far are curious.

Nope. Intent is important. When De Sousa picked up that chair, there was intent to harm. Drunk driving IS horrible, but there is no intent to harm.

I am unaware of an event that transpired as described in the post I responded to. Interested in what program that happened with and when.

There were 3 Kansas players kicking, punching, or stepping on someone on the ground. There were many that came off the bench. I expected the 3 from Kansas to get multiple game suspensions and the rest that left the bench to get 1 game. Only 2 players were suspended, but all will be back with the team for the NCAA.

The colleges do control the NCAA. Are you saying they should be given even more power to self regulate? You think self regulation is the answer?

On top of that, this was the punishment from their conference, Big 12, and not the NCAA. I don't know that the NCAA will do anything about this.

I do agree that the punishments seem light. More than 2 from each team definitely should have been suspended for at least 1 game. While De Sousa is technically suspended indefinitely by the school, I don't think anyone believes that it'll be longer than the 12 games handed down by the conference. It's also no coincidence that he'll be back just in time for the post season.

Reactions: Jssanto
KU has gotten the bulk of the bad press on this but KSU has a ton of culpability in the escalation. Given the rules in place about leaving the bench the punishments doled out thus far are curious.

I don't think so. I don't care what the NCAA rules are for leaving the bench. If I see a teammate intimidated like Desouza did by standing over him and then a fight starts, I'm going to the defense of my teammate. Yes, I'd have to pay the price with NCAA penalties because that's the rule, but I thought 2-3 of the KU players were initiating and escalating, and with the possible exception of the redshirt kid in black and white street clothes that apparently was a KSU player who came off the bench, I'd penalize the KSU players not at all, or as little as the rules allow. In this case, I think the NCAA is just seeing and doing what the rest of us saw: that the KSU players were just defending themselves and one another. Even though it may violate a rule, I can't blame them for that.

Reactions: Zeester
Kansas will do anything to win is why. Also, they know the ncaa will never touch them. They dont need to do anything cause they are going to skate.

The same Coach who tries to control every possession, every offensive and defensive set, every matchup and use of every timeout, can't control the on court behavior of his Players? That doesn't wash with me.

It does with me. Nobody can truly *control* anybody else's behavior. You think that Larry Brown and/or Rick Carlisle could've done anything to have prevented the Malice at the Palace debacle? You think Freddie Kitchens could've stopped Myles Garrett from attacking Mason Rudolph with a helmet?

Players are human beings with their own independent central nervous systems. They aren't robots whose remote controls are in the hands of their coaches.

Don't be silly.

Reactions: minneman
Self is a selfish ego-maniac with low morals.

Self admitted wrongdoing on KU’s part immediately. He didn’t excuse it in any way.

Unlike Weber who pretty much talked around the incident in post game comments. I personally don't care for either coach but Self seemed more upset with the incident

They’re kids. They made mistakes. Some of you want their lives ruined over this.

I’m sure they have a lot going on behind the scenes in terms of discipline. They’re suspended for a few games. I think it’s appropriate. Give them another chance.

https://www.si.com/vault/1972/02/07/565933/an-ugly-affair-in-minneapolis

Watching the video of Kansas, Kansas State immediately put me in mind of the famous Ohio State, Minnesota mugging in The Barn in February of '72, for those of you old enough to remember it. I was still in grade school at the time, but have very clear memories from the Sports Illustrated article, which I've attached. The two Gopher players were suspended for the remainder of the season. Marquette had been involved in another brawl only a week earlier.

They’re kids. They made mistakes. Some of you want their lives ruined over this.

I’m sure they have a lot going on behind the scenes in terms of discipline. They’re suspended for a few games. I think it’s appropriate. Give them another chance.
Second chance, with shown remorse, is fine. But third, fourth, fifth?
No. At some point an adult needs to stand up for what is right.
I am still amazed the KU alums are not upset.

Second chance, with shown remorse, is fine. But third, fourth, fifth?
No. At some point an adult needs to stand up for what is right.
I am still amazed the KU alums are not upset.
Who has done this three, four, or five times?

Watching the video of Kansas, Kansas State immediately put me in mind of the famous Ohio State, Minnesota mugging in The Barn in February of '72, for those of you old enough to remember it. I was still in grade school at the time, but have very clear memories from the Sports Illustrated article, which I've attached. The two Gopher players were suspended for the remainder of the season. Marquette had been involved in another brawl only a week earlier.
I remember this. I was a Sophomore in College. I thought of this yesterday. Some half ass sports writer or Commentator posted an Article showing clips of what he thought were the biggest college basketball brawls of all time. I'm not sure how old the writer was, but he didn't include the OSU - Minnesota brawl in his all time top 5. HUH?

There was no accountability for Musselman then and there won’t be any accountability for Self now...

Here is another thought. In Soccer, if a player receives a red card or has accumulated yellow cards of a certain number on the season, he is immediately ejected from the match, and his team plays one man down for the rest of the match.
Take that to basketball, if you have a player who is ejected from the game you play down one player for the rest of the game. If the ejection occurs in the 2nd half, you play without that player and one player short for the first half of the next game. Kind of like the targeting rule in football.

Now what do you do with an incident like this that occurs at the end of the game? Kansas has 3 players suspended from the same incident who have multiple game suspensions. For the next three games Kansas plays the whole game one man down.

Now you hit the team where it hurts. They may lose 3 games in a row playing short handed, which affects their Conference Standing, Conference Tournament Seeding, NCAA Tournament status or at least their seeding.

Here is another thought. In Soccer, if a player receives a red card or has accumulated yellow cards of a certain number on the season, he is immediately ejected from the match, and his team plays one man down for the rest of the match.
Take that to basketball, if you have a player who is ejected from the game you play down one player for the rest of the game. If the ejection occurs in the 2nd half, you play without that player and one player short for the first half of the next game. Kind of like the targeting rule in football.

Now what do you do with an incident like this that occurs at the end of the game? Kansas has 3 players suspended from the same incident who have multiple game suspensions. For the next three games Kansas plays the whole game one man down.

Now you hit the team where it hurts. They may lose 3 games in a row playing short handed, which affects their Conference Standing, Conference Tournament Seeding, NCAA Tournament status or at least their seeding.

...or they could play 3 players short for the next game. I get what you're trying to say, but 4 on 5 in bball is different than 10-11 in soccer. Suspending the players involved I think is fine as a penalty, it's just a matter of for how long. In Desousa's case, it should be for many games and that sucks for him... the guy who is at fault; what's wrong with that? No reason to penalize paying fans in future games by playing a mismatch. I'd not even want to go see a game where a team had to play 4-5 for a period of time.

Last edited:
I remember this. I was a Sophomore in College. I thought of this yesterday. Some half ass sports writer or Commentator posted an Article showing clips of what he thought were the biggest college basketball brawls of all time. I'm not sure how old the writer was, but he didn't include the OSU - Minnesota brawl in his all time top 5. HUH?
Sportswriter was likely too young to remember the Luke Witte assault by Minnesota, kicking in his head while laying on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT