ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris booked exclusive interview with Brett Baier on Fox

Sorry, Marv, but what you're arguing is that "it's all just in your mind. This feeling you have is your fault because you haven't 'reset your price point and moved on.'" That dog won't hunt in the political sphere.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way in relation to other issues? "Oh you think college costs too much? Well, it's not coming back down, so just reset your price point in your head and go to that community college instead of your dream school." Or why not apply the same reasoning to the other side of the equation--income: "Oh, social security benefits were cut? Quit crying about it and just reset your expectations and move on. No point letting it affect you."

Regarding why people aren't resetting, it's because inflation is supposed to be (we think of it as or are accustomed to it being) gradual. One can both psychologically and financially deal with gradual change. Increase the amplitude or frequency of the change, though, and humans have a hard time adjusting. That's what we are seeing the polling data--people still haven't adjusted to the quick, large increase in cost of living (which they refer to as inflation).
Yup. It’s when it jumped to 9 percent , 41 year high, the impact was felt and lingers.

Exactly

Trump is all for policies that will drive inflation and out of control national debt increases, including tons of free cheese.
Harris is all for different policies, but also ones that will drive inflation and out of control national debt increases, including tons of free cheese.

To try to draw a distinction between them on that issue is silly.

Both are far removed from fiscal conservatism that many prefer (and that I would also support)

Biden’s crazy out of control spending in his first couple of years put way too much cash in the system and as a result the price of various assets, which aren’t part of inflation, went kaboom.

While I don’t disagree with this, I’ll point out once again that most of the monetary expansion happened while Trump was president - in response to Covid.

But I think Biden took a big political risk by continuing to spend at high levels after he took office. The worst parts of Covid were pretty well behind us by then.

Can you imagine how much worse things would be if Bernie Sanders had gotten the $6T “Build Back Better” bill he said he wanted?

Most Dems seem to despise Joe Manchin. They ought to be thankful he stood in the way of a much more expensive bill passing.

Well, many people are going to vote for Trump because of this. Whether or not it’s rational for them to do so is a different discussion.

If the shoes were on the other feet, and Trump had been in office when this happened and the rate had also returned closer to normal before his term ended, I’m sure the Dems would be messaging like the Rs are here.

Politics and rationality are usually strangers to one another.
And again trump is heading down the freebie path too. He’s not someone that is the voice of reason

Trump is all for policies that will drive inflation and out of control national debt increases, including tons of free cheese.
Harris is all for different policies, but also ones that will drive inflation and out of control national debt increases, including tons of free cheese.

Both are far removed from fiscal conservatism that many prefer (and that I would also support)
This might be true. But inflation was 1.4 when trump left

He was something, wasn't he? Super aggressive, like nobody's ever seen before. Didn't like being referred to as "soft" by Dementia Don and clearly played to an audience of one.
From the clips I saw he wanted direct answers for the border. For inflation. Not canned yabbuts

Yes, but we definitely saw another side of him, and it's no mystery who prompted it.
Honestly, I just don’t think Harris supporters are accustomed to seeing her in adversarial interviews. That’s what they pretty much all look like. And she just hasn’t done many of them.

But they shouldn’t sweat it - she did just fine, IMO. I think she’d gain more from doing more of those than she would by doing more things like The View, Call Her Daddy, or Colbert. She needs to close the sale with independents - they’ll determine the outcome of the race…just as they did in 2016 (Trump +4) and 2020 (Biden +13).

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I wanna vote for Brett Baier.
Lefties make light of Fox but Baier stayed grounded and comported himself like a real journalist last night. He did it in the face of Harris being a lunitic raging about Trump in response to every question. All she did was fillibuster. She had a chance to discuss her policies and refused. Why? Because she knows her policies aren’t going to win enough votes.

While I don’t disagree with this, I’ll point out once again that most of the monetary expansion happened while Trump was president - in response to Covid.

But I think Biden took a big political risk by continuing to spend at high levels after he took office. The worst parts of Covid were pretty well behind us by then.

Can you imagine how much worse things would be if Bernie Sanders had gotten the $6T “Build Back Better” bill he said he wanted?

Most Dems seem to despise Joe Manchin. They ought to be thankful he stood in the way of a much more expensive bill passing.

What's ironic about this version of progressive economics is that they managed to make the wealthy even wealthier while the working class has fallen further behind.

Asset prices, such as stocks and most real estate has greatly outpaced inflation while wages haven't kept up with it.

Much of that is Fed policy under JPow, but still....

Oh my. Chris Wallace totally lost it in his last year.

Dana Perino is a solid reporter/commentator. So is Bill Hemmer.
Wallace has addressed this. He was mortified that, in his view, Fox was aiding and abetting Trump with the lie that the 2020 election outcome was the result of fraud.

I don’t watch cable news. So I can’t say how much they were doing this. But I do know they paid out a helluva settlement over a defamation claim regarding voting machines. So clearly they were doing it some.

I think Chris Wallace is, and long has been, one of the best in the business.

Spending is one side of the equation. Trump’s policies on energy production and energy exports, and eliminating liberal nonsense (DEI, preference’s, and set-asides) in spending projects will positively impact jobs and revenue.

What's ironic about this version of progressive economics is that they managed to make the wealthy even wealthier while the working class has fallen further behind.

Asset prices, such as stocks and most real estate has greatly outpaced inflation while wages haven't kept up with it.

It’s a story as old as time itself. Go read about inflation during the reign of Diocletian and his efforts to curtail it. It’s pretty fascinating stuff - and goes to show that the basic rules of economics worked the same way in the Roman Empire as they do today.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Yup

I was mortified that Wallace aided and abetted the lap-top and both sides fraud.
I don’t know what he said about the laptop.

But keep in mind that many media people were taking their cues from intelligence veterans who punked them (and the rest of us) by declaring publicly that they believed the laptop was a Russian plant.

It still amazes me that these people (Brennan, Clapper, Morell, Hayden, Panetta, etal) are treated as credible…by the very same media they duped.

It makes you wonder if nobody in the press actually believed them to begin with…but just went with it out of a sense of duty in seeing Trump defeated.

Mmm, yeah. It’s Fed policy. But keep in mind that the bulk of the Fed’s expanded liquidity is being used to purchase Treasuries. They’re the dominant lender for Congress’ spending. Last I looked, they’re holding about 2/3 of the public debt. It may be more than that now.

So Congress isn’t just spending money they don’t have. They’re spending money that didn’t even exist until recently.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Vpm helps the poor. His congregation. It’s not personal. He understands the sins but recognizes the greater good comes with trump. With Harris cokes high prices, crime, abortions, open borders, etc. Vpm leads. You follow
BS. He accepts the sins because they pay his salary. Organized religion is nothing but a money grab and should be taxed as such.

I don’t know what he said about the laptop.

But keep in mind that many media people were taking their cues from intelligence veterans who punked them (and the rest of us) by declaring publicly that they believed the laptop was a Russian plant.

It still amazes me that these people (Brennan, Clapper, Morell, Hayden, Panetta, etal) are treated as credible…by the very same media they duped.

It makes you wonder if nobody in the press actually believed them to begin with…but just went with it out of a sense of duty in seeing Trump defeated.
That letter was facially BS. Wallace and the media wanted to believe it.

Snarl please start a thread on Bitcoin. Give us a quick and dirty lesson on how it works.

On your home example, will home sellers really take Bitcoin as payment?
I started a thread on Bitcoin numerous times 🤣. My suggestion is read The Bitcoin Standard. You can buy it on Amazon.

Short explanation. The current monetary system (fiat) is broken and designed to steal from people through inflation. The natural state of a free market is deflationary, which should be benefiting all of us, but a lot of that is being stolen through the growth in the money supply, which tends to average around 5-7% (the long term average on stocks also happens to be around 7%, it’s no a

It’s the main reason why scare assets (education, housing, healthcare, etc) are becoming unaffordable. Inflation, especially CPI, are poor measures of how much purchasing is being taken from people. It should be measured from productivity gains, which are probably around 3-5% per year. When the government says inflation is 2%, it means you lost 5-7% of your purchasing power. I could on and on 😁. Anyhoo fast forward to the 2 minute mark in the clip below. Pomp gives a very quick explanation.

Reactions: stollcpa
Mmm, yeah. It’s Fed policy. But keep in mind that the bulk of the Fed’s expanded liquidity is being used to purchase Treasuries. They’re the dominant lender for Congress’ spending. Last I looked, they’re holding about 2/3 of the public debt. It may be more than that now.

So Congress isn’t just spending money they don’t have. They’re spending money that didn’t even exist until recently.

Yes that's my point. Monetization of debt via Fed which greatly increased money supply

And Nvidia stock was $0.75/share in 2016. Even better!
It’s great company and kudos if you got in early. However, it just makes chips and doesn’t have the addressable market cap of Bitcoin. It’s going to zero against Bitcoin over the next couple of decades, like everything else.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
BS. He accepts the sins because they pay his salary. Organized religion is nothing but a money grab and should be taxed as such.

That’s absurd. Most clergy make relatively modest livings. So if they aren’t the ones grabbing the money, then who is?

If you want to say that about the Kenneth Copelands, Rick Warrens, and Joel Osteens of the world, I’ll be right there with you. But a blanket statement like that about churches and other clergy writ large is just divorced from reality.

That’s absurd. Most clergy make relatively modest livings. So if they aren’t the ones grabbing the money, then who is?

If you want to say that about the Kenneth Copelands, Rick Warrens, and Joel Osteens of the world, I’ll be right there with you. But a blanket statement like that about churches and other clergy writ large is just divorced from reality.
You’re exactly right. The Mega TV Ministries steal millions from Christians hanging on their every word.

Ministers in most communities are poorly compensated and some of the lowest wage earners in their communities.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
And ask Trump the same question? Packing the court cuts both ways . . . .
Fair enough.

But I haven’t heard any Republican pols advocating the idea. I’ve heard lots of Democratic pols advocating it.

And that makes sense. Why would Republicans have any issue with the status quo?

Biden has been said to be notably cool to the idea. But, given that it’s an issue, I think presidential candidates should be asked if they’d sign such a bill.

Reactions: BradStevens
Sorry, Marv, but what you're arguing is that "it's all just in your mind. This feeling you have is your fault because you haven't 'reset your price point and moved on.'" That dog won't hunt in the political sphere.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way in relation to other issues? "Oh you think college costs too much? Well, it's not coming back down, so just reset your price point in your head and go to that community college instead of your dream school." Or why not apply the same reasoning to the other side of the equation--income: "Oh, social security benefits were cut? Quit crying about it and just reset your expectations and move on. No point letting it affect you."

Regarding why people aren't resetting, it's because inflation is supposed to be (we think of it as or are accustomed to it being) gradual. One can both psychologically and financially deal with gradual change. Increase the amplitude or frequency of the change, though, and humans have a hard time adjusting. That's what we are seeing in the polling data--people still haven't adjusted to the quick, large increase in cost of living (which they refer to as inflation).

The difference is there are things we can do to reset the cost of college. Do we really need a Dean of Fonts, Dean for all uses of Purple, Dean of Hardwood Floors? We can at least somewhat change the cost of college. Some of it is problematic, kids want to live in apartments and not dorms and they want to see new tech. That will all cost more than what we had. But the amount of administration is, well, quite high.

I don't know how we change the cost of all these other things. I know some places have come out with new, cheaper, value meals as one example of businesses trying to make a profit from lowering prices. I don't know what government can do to drive prices down.

Both major candidates want to overspend. We probably agree on that. Once again I'll tout the freeze idea. I think it would help lower future inflation, won't bring one item down by one cent though.

I am personally convinced massive tariffs will be massively bad for inflation, but I know many on here are certain that prices won't be impacted. So at a minimum there is no chance a 100% tariff will lower consumer prices.

What is the old prayer, “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” We can change rate of inflation in the future, but nothing is bringing prices down short of a major catastrophe. 2% has been the goal for a long time, I don't see 2% as evil today. A growing economy is going to have inflation. Especially one that is severely worker bound.

I am saying be mad about 2021-22. I haven't defended it at all. But have the wisdom to know we cannot change it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT