ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Goodman on Big Ten

Eron Harris average at best? I think you'll be in for a rude awakening. He's going to be really good.

Izzo lovers will say Harris is a great impact get ha. Not even top 200 out of HS.

One more time, IU in damn good shape.

I appreciate the sarcasm...but really, back from what? We have sucked since 1993 except for one Mike Davis year in 2002. It's not like Knight's last seven years were any good, Davis was ok for a couple, Sampson cheated, and now you hate Crean who has a top 15 ranked team and projected 2 seed going into 2015/2016.

What is the solution? Archie Miller?

"We're back" was plastered all over the drink cups and popcorn boxes sold all Assembly shortly after the Wat Shot...so Tom will have to answer that question for you....

Did Knight miss the Tournament any of those last seven years? Sure the were sub-par, but only from the standard that he himself set. Davis and/or Crean haven't come anywhere close to that...

Reactions: oldwisecoach
Izzo lovers will say Harris is a great impact get ha. Not even top 200 out of HS.

One more time, IU in damn good shape.
He averaged around 17 points a game at W. Virgina so I think he will have a huge season and I think Nairn will be the point guard.

My projections
1) MSU
2) Maryland
3) Purdue
4) UW
5) IU

1) Someone tell Eron Harris he's not supposed to be so good.
2) Freshmen always overestimated while returning players win games.

1. Maryland
2. Purdue
3. Michigan State
4. Indiana
5-10. Pick from Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois and Northwestern.

He averaged around 17 points a game at W. Virgina so I think he will have a huge season and I think Nairn will be the point guard.

My projections
1) MSU
2) Maryland
3) Purdue
4) UW
5) IU

Why did Harris transfer? Not like he wasn't getting minutes at W. Virginia. Must be some reason.

Did I fail to mention IU in damn good shape.

Reactions: boilergrad2OOO
Why did Harris transfer? Not like he wasn't getting minutes at W. Virginia. Must be some reason.

Did I fail to mention IU in damn good shape.
Probably did not like Huggins because he is very hard on his players. I think IU is in good shape but I still think we will finish 4th or 5th because the conference is very strong this year. IU recruited Harris after he transferred and I would bet you would think differently of him if he had picked us.

Reactions: #Bentley
"We're back" was plastered all over the drink cups and popcorn boxes sold all Assembly shortly after the Wat Shot...so Tom will have to answer that question for you....

Did Knight miss the Tournament any of those last seven years? Sure the were sub-par, but only from the standard that he himself set. Davis and/or Crean haven't come anywhere close to that...

Crean also hasn't assaulted multiple people, which is generally a plus in most books.

Probably did not like Huggins because he is very hard on his players. I think IU is in good shape but I still think we will finish 4th or 5th because the conference is very strong this year. IU recruited Harris after he transferred and I would bet you would think differently of him if he had picked us.

Should be a fun year next year. What do you think is the baseline for Crean keeping his job?

Crean also hasn't assaulted multiple people, which is generally a plus in most books.

What does that have to do with anything?

Are we talking coaching prowess? Wins/losses? Tournament success?

Are you using that as a reason why Tom should be retained? Because he hasn't assaulted anyone?

WTF?

I have no idea because what we fans think might not be the same criteria for Glass. I would say that he needs to finish in the top 4 or 5 and go to at least the sweet 16.

2016 Recruiting Class Rank?

Top 5
Ranked 5-10
Ranked 11-15
Worse than 15

2016 Recruiting Class Rank?

Top 5
Ranked 5-10
Ranked 11-15
Worse than 15
I actually think it might be hard to get many early commits because of the perceived hot seat that CTC is under and I would bet that other coaches is using this against us. I hope I am wrong but I don't think we will get anyone to sign in the fall period but that might not be that bad since the higher ranked kids are now waiting until the spring to commit.

I actually think it might be hard to get many early commits because of the perceived hot seat that CTC is under and I would bet that other coaches is using this against us. I hope I am wrong but I don't think we will get anyone to sign in the fall period but that might not be that bad since the higher ranked kids are now waiting until the spring to commit.

Which would you prefer?

Nike
Adidas
Under Armour

Probably Nike but I wish that shoe companies was not so important to recruiting but times have changed so you need to go with the big boys

Which dark horse candidate would you consider assuming there is a job opening after next season?

Brad Underwood: 61-8 as a head coach at Stephen F. Austin State and has experience in a power 5 conference.

Steve Prohm: 31-2 season and a 29-6 season under his belt already at Murray State, is young, and recruited one of the top backcourts in the nation to Murray State.

LeVelle Moton: 46-2 in conference the last 3 years and is an exciting personality at North Carolina Central.

Ron Hunter: big on the transfer scene and has had years of success at Georgia State.

Other.

If other, who would be your frontrunner?

Ryan could take five people from this board and finish in the top four in the B1G.

If he could find five that would actually concede Bo knew more about coaching than they do.

Now that was funny!

Which dark horse candidate would you consider assuming there is a job opening after next season?

Brad Underwood: 61-8 as a head coach at Stephen F. Austin State and has experience in a power 5 conference.

Steve Prohm: 31-2 season and a 29-6 season under his belt already at Murray State, is young, and recruited one of the top backcourts in the nation to Murray State.

LeVelle Moton: 46-2 in conference the last 3 years and is an exciting personality at North Carolina Central.

Ron Hunter: big on the transfer scene and has had years of success at Georgia State.

Other.

If other, who would be your frontrunner?
None of the above because I am not going to make a change if it is not a clear upgrade. If it is not Stevens or Marshall then I am not to interested in other coaches. I would like Sean Miller from UA but I don't think he would leave Arizona. To me there are not that many qualified coaches out there that would excite me and what good is it to just make a change to be making a change. Of those four I would pick Underwood from STFA.

What does that have to do with anything?

Are we talking coaching prowess? Wins/losses? Tournament success?

Are you using that as a reason why Tom should be retained? Because he hasn't assaulted anyone?

WTF?

I don't think he should necessarily be retained because of that, but I don't think not assaulting people is a negative on one's resume. Look what happened to the last IU basketball coach that assaulted people: not retained.

So, in short, all other things aside, I would say Tom Crean's continuation of not assaulting people is more of a plus than a minus with regard to his job security.

None of the above because I am not going to make a change if it is not a clear upgrade. If it is not Stevens or Marshall then I am not to interested in other coaches. I would like Sean Miller from UA but I don't think he would leave Arizona. To me there are not that many qualified coaches out there that would excite me and what good is it to just make a change to be making a change. Of those four I would pick Underwood from STFA.

Underwood at least has SOME experience at the high major level so I'll give you that.

One of the top backcourts in the nation gets you into the tournament. Prohm's been to the dance once, won the CIT, and got bounced from the NIT. That's not exactly lighting the world on fire. Prohm's name at least comes up when jobs are open.

LeVelle Moton is coaching at a level above high school.

Ron Hunter has been coaching for 20 years and has 2 NCAA tournament appearances in 16 years of eligibility. His best recruit was his son who was a stud at the Sun Belt level and they will suck next season.

Question - IF Boy Wonder is hired, would you take a natty in year 3 if it meant that Boy Wonder went back to the NBA in year 4?

1. Yes... Yes, I would... it's a national title!
2. Of course not, we need Boy Wonder around for the long haul

Underwood at least has SOME experience at the high major level so I'll give you that.

One of the top backcourts in the nation gets you into the tournament. Prohm's been to the dance once, won the CIT, and got bounced from the NIT. That's not exactly lighting the world on fire. Prohm's name at least comes up when jobs are open.

LeVelle Moton is coaching at a level above high school.

Ron Hunter has been coaching for 20 years and has 2 NCAA tournament appearances in 16 years of eligibility. His best recruit was his son who was a stud at the Sun Belt level and they will suck next season.

Question - IF Boy Wonder is hired, would you take a natty in year 3 if it meant that Boy Wonder went back to the NBA in year 4?

1. Yes... Yes, I would... it's a national title!
2. Of course not, we need Boy Wonder around for the long haul
I would say that if he came back to college it would be for good because I don't think he would be like a Larry Brown. I would take him for 3 years if it meant a national championship. but I would want him for the long haul.

I don't think he should necessarily be retained because of that, but I don't think not assaulting people is a negative on one's resume. Look what happened to the last IU basketball coach that assaulted people: not retained.

So, in short, all other things aside, I would say Tom Crean's continuation of not assaulting people is more of a plus than a minus with regard to his job security.

Again, I ask...What does any of that have to do with anything? How did a discussion about Indiana's projected finish in the B1G prompt you to inject Knight's alleged transgressions into the thread as some sort of defense on behalf of Tom Crean...?

I get that you're not a fan of our former coach...but, really...wtf?

Thon Maker to IU for B1G season would be a huge boost for IU. Thon will put IU in top 3 in B1G.

I think the B10 is going to be

MSU
Maryland
Wisconsin
Michigan

Eron Harris is going to be a stud at MSU. Maryland will have the most talent but they'll be a target this year. Wisconsin always outperforms and Koenig and Hayes look like two potential stars. Hayes already is. Michigan was decimated by injuries and will get guys back and have more experience.

Until Crean actually proves he can coach instead of just recruit at a really high level then I'm not buying in on indiana
Didn't Crean coach IU to a conference title in the strongest BigTen of the past decade?

Again, I ask...What does any of that have to do with anything? How did a discussion about Indiana's projected finish in the B1G prompt you to inject Knight's alleged transgressions into the thread as some sort of defense on behalf of Tom Crean...?

I get that you're not a fan of our former coach...but, really...wtf?

I loved RMK...I've been going to games for 40 years. I defended him forever. I just don't get why, compared to RMK's last 7 years, CTC is such a villain because his record isn't much worse and he seems to be a hell of a nicer guy.

Sorry...I just happen to like Tom Crean. I liked RMK and Mike Davis and Dan Dakcih. I like Kevin Wilson. I liked Bill Lynch and Terry Hoeppner and Bill Mallory and Cam Cameron. I think perhaps my like for the university outweighs my specific likes for individuals serving there. I guess it's personal preference.

Also, that is a lot of "alleged" transgressions. Do you believe any of them actually happened?

I loved RMK...I've been going to games for 40 years. I defended him forever. I just don't get why, compared to RMK's last 7 years, CTC is such a villain because his record isn't much worse and he seems to be a hell of a nicer guy.

Sorry...I just happen to like Tom Crean. I liked RMK and Mike Davis and Dan Dakcih. I like Kevin Wilson. I liked Bill Lynch and Terry Hoeppner and Bill Mallory and Cam Cameron. I think perhaps my like for the university outweighs my specific likes for individuals serving there. I guess it's personal preference.

Also, that is a lot of "alleged" transgressions. Do you believe any of them actually happened?

Of course some of them happened. The Sherron and Pat Knight incidents were during games being filmed. But I can also place them in the proper context and don't think they were done with malice.

The others? Hard to say.

Last edited:
Under picked IU? We finished 7th, when projected 9th. Factor in Illinois and Michigan's injuries, both of which lost their best player and Michigan which lost their 3 best and we weren't under picked at all. Our improvement was 2 positions from the previous year and only because teams that were better had major injuries.

Whooo hooooooooooo... we're back!

You can do all the creative math you want, but they still under-picked IU. And, IU also had roster reductions to deal with during the season.

Of course some of them happened. The Sherron and Pat Knight incidents were doing games being filmed. But I can also place them in the proper context and don't think they were done with malice.

The others? Hard to say.

I tend to agree that the Pat Knight and Sherron Wilkerson incidents were not done with a whole lot of malice. I think I was at the Pat Knight incident game. Nonetheless, a pattern of behavior was established.

I will suggest that I am pretty sure the Neil Reed incident was available on video at one time.

I also think that Puerto Rican authorities sought extradition of RMK in the hitting of the cop incident, but I was really young when that happened so I can't be sure. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

I loved the guy, but in retrospect, he was unequivocally an a-hole.

Scott it would be making a change just to make a change, it's making a change because he isn't getting the job done. Wo knows one of the above mentioned coaches cold be the next Greg Marshall, Sean Miller, Bo Ryan, bill Self, billy Donovan. Most great coaches came from small schools.

Reactions: chicagoazza

My projections
1) MSU
2) Maryland
3) Purdue
4) UW
5) IU

Nairn is not good

1) Maryland
2) MSU
3) Purdue
4) IU
5) Michigan
6) Wisky or Iowa

The difference between 2-5 will be slight... I think Purdue will do 14-4 to 12-6. I expect IU, Michigan, and MSU to be right around there. They all have something to prove... MSU has to reload and find leadership. Purdue needs to prove they can break a press and be able to guard against the jump shot (able to get out on shooters). I don't worry about penetration... the big guys will take care of that. IU needs to figure out how to defend anyone. In my opinion, Bryant does little against a team like Purdue or MSU that has quality bigs... he's a freshman who will have to learn and you still have no one to back him up. Michigan wasn't strong with Levert last year... Wisky is rebuilding and Iowa is small. Maryland goes 15-3 and wins it pretty easy. MSU and Wisky will lose games early... especially in the non-conference.

The top 25 pre-season rankings will have all 5 teams, maybe 6 with the exception of Purdue possibly. With that said... I think Purdue is an example of a team that will run their non-conference (Vandy at home, Butler is neutral (though I think they will be solid, especially after the transfers get acclimated to the system), ODU and Florida neutral)) and be in the top 15 by the time the conference starts. The only reason I have MSU above the others is due to how they finish. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up 5th or 6th, especially if they start out slow.

Reactions: DanL53
I think Purdue is an example of a team that will run their non-conference (Vandy at home, Butler is neutral (though I think they will be solid, especially after the transfers get acclimated to the system), ODU and Florida neutral)) and be in the top 15 by the time the conference starts.

Wanna see teams that can give PU trouble. Find teams who run pick and roll. With a mobile big and shooters who can handle ball. i.e. Vandy

1) Maryland
2) MSU
3) Purdue
4) IU
5) Michigan
6) Wisky or Iowa

The difference between 2-5 will be slight... I think Purdue will do 14-4 to 12-6. I expect IU, Michigan, and MSU to be right around there. They all have something to prove... MSU has to reload and find leadership. Purdue needs to prove they can break a press and be able to guard against the jump shot (able to get out on shooters). I don't worry about penetration... the big guys will take care of that. IU needs to figure out how to defend anyone. In my opinion, Bryant does little against a team like Purdue or MSU that has quality bigs... he's a freshman who will have to learn and you still have no one to back him up. Michigan wasn't strong with Levert last year... Wisky is rebuilding and Iowa is small. Maryland goes 15-3 and wins it pretty easy. MSU and Wisky will lose games early... especially in the non-conference.

The top 25 pre-season rankings will have all 5 teams, maybe 6 with the exception of Purdue possibly. With that said... I think Purdue is an example of a team that will run their non-conference (Vandy at home, Butler is neutral (though I think they will be solid, especially after the transfers get acclimated to the system), ODU and Florida neutral)) and be in the top 15 by the time the conference starts. The only reason I have MSU above the others is due to how they finish. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up 5th or 6th, especially if they start out slow.

A1 assessment. Good job.

Wanna see teams that can give PU trouble. Find teams who run pick and roll. With a mobile big and shooters who can handle ball. i.e. Vandy

I agree with that when Swanigan is at the four... there will be a learning curve but AJ doesn't switch off. So basically, the man with the ball needs to be hit 20 foot jumpers if AJ's guy is doing the picking. Haas struggled with that also but he will get better. Same way, he doesn't switch off. A bunch of teams tried that last year and by the end of the season, Purdue figured it out.

Hell... Yogi is tailor made for that approach and IU still had issues scoring against us last year. Don't get me wrong, in no way is Purdue not going to have issues with that... they will. A team like MSU or Maryland will gives us fits. IU will if they attach the basket off the pick and roll... problem is you can't pick and roll and draw out a big every possession... way to easy to game plan for it if you do it all the time.

Vandy will be solid next year but I am banking that it's in West Lafayette and no way PU loses 2 years in a row to them.

I didn't write this because I didn't want the post to be Purdue centric but I think their strength will be on the offensive end, not necessarily on defense. I think the defense will be good but potentially, they should be able to score points. Most of their shots will be 12 foot in and they are loaded with shooters so doubling the post won't work. They will struggle defending the outside shot... I worry they will struggle closing on shooters if teams can penetrate the middle and are forced to dish when one of the bigs stops the ball.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

really? we're not a consistent tourney worthy program. only two or three other men in America could change that?

The "analysts" are always looking at the last couple of years when predicting the next year. So, they frequently under-estimate how much teams can improve in one year. They pretty much did that when they gave their Big Ten predictions last year and under-picked IU.

Nobody was more under picked than Purdue.

No there are a lot more out there that could do a lot better but we have no shot at them because we are not going to get any HOF coaches who already has a top program.

no one ever hires a HOFer. lol. you really don't think there are any young, less established coaches who could coach more fundamentally sound basketball? I actually like crean for what he is: a frenetic, passionate coach of transition offense. but he's only been to the tourney three times in a row once in his whole career. I cannot stress enough how average that makes a coach after 16 years at two basketball schools.

we're resigned to being very average if what IU fan is seeing is somehow acceptable. wow. here's to hoping the admin disagrees the next time we suck.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT