ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Goodman on Big Ten

I have no data on this but Goodman has never been a real big IU guy....especially in the prediction business. I remember before 2011-12 season started he said 16 wins tops. We ended up with 27 wins, league title,etc....

My point is this. If he says IU 5th. Good times ahead for IU. Especially when he gets around and looks at the schedules and realizes Maryland plays Sparty and IU once....on the road.

If Caris doesn't leave they will be right there with us talent wise...and then coaching comes into play

Caris announced today he is back. Michigan returns everyone from last season's 8-10 Big Ten team. They add back injured Derrick Walton, Caris LeVert, and DJ Wilson. They also add top 50 ish Euro big man recruit Moritz Wagner. They could potentially add Jaylen Brown as well. They are a lock for the top 25 and potentially top 10 depending on how last season's freshmen progress.

Caris announced today he is back. Michigan returns everyone from last season's 8-10 Big Ten team. They add back injured Derrick Walton, Caris LeVert, and DJ Wilson. They also add top 50 ish Euro big man recruit Moritz Wagner. They could potentially add Jaylen Brown as well. They are a lock for the top 25 and potentially top 10 depending on how last season's freshmen progress.
Where are you getting the scholarship for Brown?

I can't argue with being placed behind those 4. This will be Bo Ryan's biggest challenge to stay in the top 4. I don't think they are as near a lock to stay there. Someone unexpected always gets hot and finishes above where they were expected. Nebraska in 2014, and Purdouche this year are two examples.

IU would have been in the 4-5 range if we hadn't folded in the last 12 games for the second year in a row. If I had one question for CTC, it would be to ask if that is something they noticed and if they have a plan to correct it.

If there is an argument to be made for UM finishing higher than IU next year, it is from the coaching department (and Yogi leaving). While Beilein is a better coach, I don't see it if Yogi returns.

I can't argue with being placed behind those 4. This will be Bo Ryan's biggest challenge to stay in the top 4. I don't think they are as near a lock to stay there. Someone unexpected always gets hot and finishes above where they were expected. Nebraska in 2014, and Purdouche this year are two examples.

IU would have been in the 4-5 range if we hadn't folded in the last 12 games for the second year in a row. If I had one question for CTC, it would be to ask if that is something they noticed and if they have a plan to correct it.
Ryan could take five people from this board and finish in the top four in the B1G.

If he could find five that would actually concede Bo knew more about coaching than they do.

So, help me remember, did UofM play in the NCAA tournament this year? How about the NIT this year? You give Belien a free pass that you don't give Crean!
Where did I give anyone a free pass? Care to add anything else into my posts

All I said was that the TC boys would be screaming it wasn't his fault due to things beyond his control...I know that to be true because I heard those excuses when Cody/Vic left early and then again when Luke left, and then again when Davis got hurt

You do realize that you guys had LeVert AND Walton last year prior to the B10 season and you guys were a dumpster fire. Not saying that won't change because you guys played much better without them in the B10, but calling them a lock for Top 25 at this point, to me, is a stretch. I do think you guys will be better, but not guaranteed especially with how good the B10 seems like it will be.

Bo ryan can basically take any five players and make the top four. It is amazing.

You're right coaching does come into play. And Crean consistently beats Beilein. Good observation.
true but beilein's last 4 years at UM are pretty much better than Crean's whole career. Runner-up, Elite Eight, two conference titles -- no comparison. Beilein does better against the same field. I'd take a losing record against a coach who doesn't ever do anything (Crean) to have him.

Reactions: surjay
true but beilein's last 4 years at UM are pretty much better than Crean's whole career. Runner-up, Elite Eight, two conference titles -- no comparison. Beilein does better against the same field. I'd take a losing record against a coach who doesn't ever do anything (Crean) to have him.

All that other success doesn't matter, its all about that slight lead CTC has in the head-to-head with JB. Also, you have to ignore CTCs head-to-head record against the rest of the conference since its abysmal.

You do realize that you guys had LeVert AND Walton last year prior to the B10 season and you guys were a dumpster fire. Not saying that won't change because you guys played much better without them in the B10, but calling them a lock for Top 25 at this point, to me, is a stretch. I do think you guys will be better, but not guaranteed especially with how good the B10 seems like it will be.

You realize they had the least experienced team in the conference last year, right? At the start of the year they had 3 juniors and 2 sophomores and the rest freshmen. Then their only 2 players with starting experience had season ending injuries. When LeVert and Walton went down, the rest of their roster had a combined total of 1 start in Big Ten play prior to this season.

So no surprise they started off slow and got a lot better as the season went along. So even despite having 6 freshmen, 1 sophomore, and a 2 juniors down the stretch they managed to go 8-10 including 4 OT losses and a 3 pt loss in Bloomington. If they had been just 4 pts per game better with a healthy LeVert and Walton (their 2 best players), they'd have been 13-5 in conference play despite their youth.

They were really that close to being a top tier conference team last year. So when you factor in the history Beilein's players have of making big improvements between their freshmen and sophomore years and the return to health of LeVert and Walton, you can see why expectations are starting to get pretty high in Ann Arbor. Last season they had 1 scholarship player on the bench for spots 1-4 on the floor (the rest were walkons). Next year they can feature a 2 deep roster that includes no freshmen at any spot, though top 50 Mo Wagner and potentially top 5 Jalen Brown can try to crack that rotation.

You realize they had the least experienced team in the conference last year, right? At the start of the year they had 3 juniors and 2 sophomores and the rest freshmen. Then their only 2 players with starting experience had season ending injuries. When LeVert and Walton went down, the rest of their roster had a combined total of 1 start in Big Ten play prior to this season.

So no surprise they started off slow and got a lot better as the season went along. So even despite having 6 freshmen, 1 sophomore, and a 2 juniors down the stretch they managed to go 8-10 including 4 OT losses and a 3 pt loss in Bloomington. If they had been just 4 pts per game better with a healthy LeVert and Walton (their 2 best players), they'd have been 13-5 in conference play despite their youth.

They were really that close to being a top tier conference team last year. So when you factor in the history Beilein's players have of making big improvements between their freshmen and sophomore years and the return to health of LeVert and Walton, you can see why expectations are starting to get pretty high in Ann Arbor. Last season they had 1 scholarship player on the bench for spots 1-4 on the floor (the rest were walkons). Next year they can feature a 2 deep roster that includes no freshmen at any spot, though top 50 Mo Wagner and potentially top 5 Jalen Brown can try to crack that rotation.
And if your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

I think the B10 is going to be

MSU
Maryland
Wisconsin
Michigan

Eron Harris is going to be a stud at MSU. Maryland will have the most talent but they'll be a target this year. Wisconsin always outperforms and Koenig and Hayes look like two potential stars. Hayes already is. Michigan was decimated by injuries and will get guys back and have more experience.

Until Crean actually proves he can coach instead of just recruit at a really high level then I'm not buying in on indiana

He is not factoring in mr maker. He makes us a top 5 team in the nation.

can't put Crean in the top four for the same reason you can't put Bo out of it. hahaha. that is the truth.

The "analysts" are always looking at the last couple of years when predicting the next year. So, they frequently under-estimate how much teams can improve in one year. They pretty much did that when they gave their Big Ten predictions last year and under-picked IU.

Reactions: Hoosier North
The "analysts" are always looking at the last couple of years when predicting the next year. So, they frequently under-estimate how much teams can improve in one year. They pretty much did that when they gave their Big Ten predictions last year and under-picked IU.
Under picked IU? We finished 7th, when projected 9th. Factor in Illinois and Michigan's injuries, both of which lost their best player and Michigan which lost their 3 best and we weren't under picked at all. Our improvement was 2 positions from the previous year and only because teams that were better had major injuries.

Whooo hooooooooooo... we're back!

And still finished behind them in the standings 2 of 4 years.

Keady is better than Knight and Purdue is better than Indiana head to head in both regards.

(I don't really believe that but it is statistically true from a win loss perspective, if we are going to compare John Beilein to Tom Crean) (that also disregards Keady's vacated season of Big 10 wins).

Last edited:
Don't think you guys will be better than MSU.

1. Maryland
2. MSU
3. IU
4. Purdue
5. Wisky
6. Michigan

MSU lost a big time player in Travis Trice to graduation and the chatter I hear on the MSU end is their starting point guard will be Eron Harris who is average at best.

IU was 6-0 last season when Yogi and RJ combined for 10 or more assists.

For perspective, MSU was 18-3 last season when Trice and Valentine combined for 10 or more assists

You slot MSU ahead of them? IU in damn good shape.

Under picked IU? We finished 7th, when projected 9th. Factor in Illinois and Michigan's injuries, both of which lost their best player and Michigan which lost their 3 best and we weren't under picked at all. Our improvement was 2 positions from the previous year and only because teams that were better had major injuries.

Whooo hooooooooooo... we're back!

I appreciate the sarcasm...but really, back from what? We have sucked since 1993 except for one Mike Davis year in 2002. It's not like Knight's last seven years were any good, Davis was ok for a couple, Sampson cheated, and now you hate Crean who has a top 15 ranked team and projected 2 seed going into 2015/2016.

What is the solution? Archie Miller?

MSU lost a big time player in Travis Trice to graduation and the chatter I hear on the MSU end is their starting point guard will be Eron Harris who is average at best.

IU was 6-0 last season when Yogi and RJ combined for 10 or more assists.

For perspective, MSU was 18-3 last season when Trice and Valentine combined for 10 or more assists

You slot MSU ahead of them? IU in damn good shape.

Eron Harris average at best? I think you'll be in for a rude awakening. He's going to be really good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT