ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Hood-Schifino - Why Not IU?

They offer a guaranteed minimum salary of $100k per year, plus players receive equity in the league moving forward. It’s extremely well funded with investors like Jeff Bezos, Drake, and Kevin Durant.
With expenses for a private trainer, private coach, etc., that $100k is peanuts. I’ll believe the “equity” stuff when I see it. These kids would be nuts to jump the gun, especially with the NIL opportunities in college developing. Though he’s a prospect, he’s not at elite level, at least not yet. I hope it’s just smoke.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
With expenses for a private trainer, private coach, etc., that $100k is peanuts. I’ll believe the “equity” stuff when I see it. These kids would be nuts to jump the gun, especially with the NIL opportunities in college developing. Though he’s a prospect, he’s not at elite level, at least not yet. I hope it’s just smoke.
It can be much more based on perceived talent level I think. Myles Colvin was offered 500k. I think another guy, that committed already, was offered 800k. 100 is just the baseline.

Yes, I am FOS but that is easily fixed with a cup of coffee and a trip to the shitter. Lander, on the other hand, can't see the floor no matter how much shit he has in him. Look at his +- and his FG % and you'll see numbers that don't lie. Trust me, I like the kid a lot but the game is too fast for him right now. He'll be good one day, but not this year. By the way, I hope I'm wrong but am glad we have a strong guard transfer.
Woodson said Lander "sees the floor pretty well for a young player"....wonder what "shit" he gave him

5* 2023 Tyler Smith signed a two year deal at 16 for seven figures. How much of that is equity that easily could become worthless is anybody's guess.

Tyler was open that college was not for him and his goal is to play in the NBA, He can go back and finish high school if he chooses.

5* 2023 Tyler Smith signed a two year deal at 16 for seven figures. How much of that is equity that easily could become worthless is anybody's guess.

Tyler was open that college was not for him and his goal is to play in the NBA, He can go back and finish high school if he chooses.
Do they not go to school at all in this league?

Do they not go to school at all in this league?
I have seen refernce to that but no details, One of the things Smith mentioned regarding his jump is how little practice time he currently gets in HS. There are going to be 30 players some HS, some post HS so not sure how that gets done.

I have seen refernce to that but no details, One of the things Smith mentioned regarding his jump is how little practice time he currently gets in HS. There are going to be 30 players some HS, some post HS so not sure how that gets done.
Interesting. I feel like that would make it a lot harder for the league to recruit enough guys. Sure, there might be a few that go, but that would make total sense why someone like Myles Colvin would say no. Now if it was just skipping college, maybe a little bit different of a story?

I think you’re on to something Sherlock. Keep digging and let us know what you find.
This seems like a really unnecessary comment to a question with a not so obvious answer. Not sure why you felt the need to provide a snarky, insulting comment.

Interesting. I feel like that would make it a lot harder for the league to recruit enough guys. Sure, there might be a few that go, but that would make total sense why someone like Myles Colvin would say no. Now if it was just skipping college, maybe a little bit different of a story?
I think they can get 30 guys with this much base pay. As for the education piece they will have to figure that out and the four-way split between HS who want to finsh and those that don't plus HS grads who want to continue classes and those that don't.

Sounds tough to me, but they may all that figured out.

Reactions: BoilerN
A group of Gunn, Banks, Schifino-Hood and Clowney would be very athletic.Baylor type of players.
Not sure I think of Gunn or Clowney as Baylor type, seemed like they were pretty big well-built guys all the way around, with the exception of the one kid with the bad mustache. Schifino I agree, he seems solid and a more physical player, and can't comment on Banks. Schifano reminds me of some of the Rutgers kids, and I mean that as a compliment. Whodda thunk there'd be a day where I wished he had guys more like Rutger's players?

Last edited:
I think they can get 30 guys with this much base pay. As for the education piece they will have to figure that out and the four-way split between HS who want to finsh and those that don't plus HS grads who want to continue classes and those that don't.

Sounds tough to me, but they may all that figured out.
Maybe. Seems like a money pit tbh

This seems like a really unnecessary comment to a question with a not so obvious answer. Not sure why you felt the need to provide a snarky, insulting comment.
Prolly cuz of your username. I thought it was pretty funny. You boiler fans have to remember, this place is not GBI and you can't run to the mods to have a poster banned. You have to be a man over here.

Maybe. Seems like a money pit tbh
I know this much, if it were my son we would insist on the salary be 50% up front with the balance guaranteed and held in escrow as well as an assigned value to the "equity" that is guaranteed should the league dissolve prior to his receiving the shares.

This seems like a really unnecessary comment to a question with a not so obvious answer. Not sure why you felt the need to provide a snarky, insulting c
Not sure why you are so sensitive. This is an IU board and we feel it necessary to hammer someone with boiler in the name.

Not sure I think of Gunn or Clowney as Baylor type, seemed like they were pretty big well-built guys all the way around, with the exception of the one kid with the bad mustache. Schifano I agree, he seems solid and a more physical player, and can't comment on Banks. Schifano reminds me of some of the Rutgers kids, and I mean that as a compliment. Whodda thunk there'd be a day where I wished he had guys more like Rutger's players?
Rutgers- good comparison...maybe a Harper Jr minus 30 lbs. Hey, as for wishing we had more "Rutgers type " players....it's a new world. Get off my lawn.

You have to admit (and I hate doing this)....Rutgers players have been tough nuts that have toyed with IU's softness the past few seasons...and it pissed us off watching it unfold on TV. Hope those days are behind us now.

I know this much, if it were my son we would insist on the salary be 50% up front with the balance guaranteed and held in escrow as well as an assigned value to the "equity" that is guaranteed should the league dissolve prior to his receiving the shares.
Absolutely! I'd want to see the money as well.

Not really sensitive, just shocked some people can't have a conversation about neither school without throwing an insult in because of a certain school. That's all.

Absolutely! I'd want to see the money as well.
Figured you would ask for a new tractor like Ricky Roe. ES
MV5BYWM3OGY0ZmItYjM3MC00MjM2LThkOTEtNDNiMGJmZGUzNTc2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

so you aren't attacked on GBI with a user name of "BoilerN" ? Imagine that.
No. I don't attack anyone. I'm told I'm dumb over there all the time. I say Brohm shouldn't have fired Holt. Then I say diaco was a bad hire. Yet I'm accused of seeing no fault in Brohm. Is what it is. But I don't throw around insults and degrade people. Unnecessary. While it's not my favorite team, the iu football program is onto something and their motto needs to be taken more seriously by everyone.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Not really sensitive, just shocked some people can't have a conversation about neither school without throwing an insult in because of a certain school. That's all.
I'm 100% confident in saying PU posters here are treated much better than IU posters on G&B. I used to post there occassionally, and you had several posters who were fine and could carry on a (mostly) reasonable conversation, but I was banned, I think more than once, for very innocuous posts. I see far worse allowed here regularly and far more PU posters who venture over here. Assuming others have had the same experience, that's why you might get less than hospitable responses and, oh yeah, there's that 0-9 thing a we have a new Coach, etc... so I think more than 1 PU poster here is trying to rub our noses in it a bit. I have no doubt, if we get back to holding our own versus PU, the # of PU posters here will be a fraction of what it is now, even though there's no reason for that, because all of you guys are just "here to talk B10 hoops" You just get that urge a lot more when you're 9-0 vs IU for some reason.

Last edited:
Rutgers- good comparison...maybe a Harper Jr minus 30 lbs. Hey, as for wishing we had more "Rutgers type " players....it's a new world. Get off my lawn.

You have to admit (and I hate doing this)....Rutgers players have been tough nuts that have toyed with IU's softness the past few seasons...and it pissed us off watching it unfold on TV. Hope those days are behind us now.
Rutgers has always had some under the radar good guards. Our very own Rob Hodgson spent like a couple months here before leaving out there. I always thought Rob, being a coaches son, would have been solid under Knight. Especially on the 94-95 and 95-96 teams. That 94-95 team didnt have Wilkerson becuz of injury and no Hodgsen, had to use Pat Knight way too much, way too early vbg.

Rutgers has always had some under the radar good guards. Our very own Rob Hodgson spent like a couple months here before leaving out there. I always thought Rob, being a coaches son, would have been solid under Knight. Especially on the 94-95 and 95-96 teams. That 94-95 team didnt have Wilkerson becuz of injury and no Hodgsen, had to use Pat Knight way too much, way too early vbg.
Pat Knight had no business seeing playing time at IU. Sorry, it has to be said.

Him or Geo Baker... both were bigger more solidly built guys. Hopefully the defender/ball-handler Baker is and the scorer that Harper was.

I'm 100% confident in saying PU posters here are treated much better than IU posters on G&B. I used to post there occassionally, and you had several posters who were fine and could carry on a (mostly) reasonable conversation, but I was banned, I think more than once, for very innocuous posts. I see far worse allowed here regularly and far more PU posters who venture over here.But, assuming others have had the same experience, that's why you might get less than hospitable responses and, oh yeah, there's that 0-9 thing a we have a new Coach, etc... so I think more than 1 PU poster here is trying to rub our noses in it a bit. I have no doubt, if we get back to holding our own versus PU, the # of PU posters here will be a fraction of what it is now.
The free board over there is bad. I used to not go there much, then I got board and started going more. Kind of quit again. I'm grateful I'm able to come over here and have actual conversation. Over there, I stick to the paid board. Iowa is usually cool. Nebraska will flat wear you out if you even try to tell them they are on the same level as Purdue or iu. So there's that... haha I like to bop around and have conversation though.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Jim Valvano = Rutgers grad.

Funny thing . . . I was watching 30 for 30 one night several years ago, and it was about the 1983 NC State Natty team . . . the one that won over Akeem and Clyde and the rest of Phi Slamma Jamma. Anyway, one of the assistant coaches on that team was a young guy named Max Perry . . . a YOUNG guy. So I looked up "Max Perry" in the internet White Pages and called the one in Raleigh, and a guy answered. So I said "Max Perry" . . . and the guy hesitated before he said "yes" . . . so I asked him whether he was related to the man who had coached at Brown County high school back in the day - you could hear his relief in his voice - and he said "yes, that's my dad. Why?" And I explained that I was from Columbus, blah, blah, blah. We had a nice conversation . . .

Anyway, Max Perry the younger had played on NC State the year before the championship and stayed on as a coach for the Natty team. Weird, but Indiana seems to underlie basketball everywhere.

Reactions: kkott
Looks like we have room for more in '23. Who gets the axe in '22?

Indiana Basketball Scholarships (2021-2025)
#2021 – 20222022 – 20232023 – 20242024 – 2025
1[2] Michael Durr[1] Michael Durr[1] Trayce Jackson-Davis[1] Trey Galloway
2[2] Xavier Johnson[1] Xavier Johnson[2] Trey Galloway[1] Jordan Geronimo
3[2] Miller Kopp[1] Miller Kopp[2] Jordan Geronimo[1] Khristian Lander
4[2] Rob Phinisee[1] Rob Phinisee[2] Khristian Lander[1] Anthony Leal
5[2] Parker Stewart[1] Parker Stewart[2] Anthony Leal[1] Logan Duncomb
6[2] Race Thompson[1] Race Thompson[2] Tamar Bates[1] Tamar Bates
7[3] Trayce Jackson-Davis[2] Trayce Jackson-Davis[2] Logan Duncomb[2] Kaleb Banks
8[4] Trey Galloway[3] Trey Galloway[3] Kaleb Banks[2] CJ Gunn
9[4] Jordan Geronimo[3] Jordan Geronimo[3] CJ Gunn[2] Jalen Hood-Schifino
10[4] Khristian Lander[3] Khristian Lander[3] Jalen Hood-Schifino(Open)
11[4] Anthony Leal[3] Anthony Leal(Open)(Open)
12[4] Tamar Bates[3] Tamar Bates(Open)(Open)
13[4] Logan Duncomb[3] Logan Duncomb(Open)(Open)
+[4] Kaleb Banks
+[4] CJ Gunn
+[4] Jalen Hood-Schifino

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT