ADVERTISEMENT

IUFB's investment

Okay....I’ll play.

Let’s discontinue the football program at IU. Find out what happens to basketball.

Football schools get a larger increase in attendance of regular student enrollment. Even Fred acknowledges this.

And the only reason that basketball tourneys may generate more money is because there are 16x more teams playing.

Tell me why schools build stadiums over 100,000 for football but only 25,000 tips for basketball?

Do you think that if IU expanded Assembly Hall to 50,000 seats, we’d fill it? I mean, everybody is fanatical about the sport, IU would have filled that yesterday for Jacksonville State?

You are just blowing smoke now. You are completely ignoring data.

I like basketball. I truly do. Loved the Final Fours with IU and the National Championship games. But I’m not going to make up stuff that isn’t true.
You might as well be arguing that the earth is flat.
Wait, you think the basketball program at IU would suffer if we have no basketball team?

Now who's dillusional? Does Villanova have a P5 football program? Does it hurt their program?

And you said it yourself - more teams are in the basketball tournament - why? BECAUSE IT'S MORE POPULAR IN MORE SCHOOLS. If you believe in polls, I guess you think Hillary is our President.

The crappy football program does impact basketball significantly. IU has to play a certain number of home games of every season to pay the bills and support the other sports because football doesn’t make enough money. This hampers the ability of the basketball coaches to schedule marquee opponents. The university also has to rely on private donors to fund facilities upgrades whereas successful football schools generate the funds to pay for those upgrades without having to raise money and kiss ass.

Wait, you think the basketball program at IU would suffer if we have no basketball team?

Now who's dillusional? Does Villanova have a P5 football program? Does it hurt their program?

And you said it yourself - more teams are in the basketball tournament - why? BECAUSE IT'S MORE POPULAR IN MORE SCHOOLS. If you believe in polls, I guess you think Hillary is our President.

Okay.... last time.

1. Football schools in the conference have used big revenue intake to fund their basketball staffs and facilities. They have surpassed IU in success. Look it up. There are win-loss records and tourney success to support that.

2. More schools are in the tourney, not because of popularity. It’s because so many can afford to field a team. The budget it takes to run a football program is enormous compare to b-ball.

I’m not the one who recorded the t.v ratings that showed 16.5 million people watched the NCAA championship game in men’s basketball. I didn’t just make up the fact that 109 million people watched the Super Bowl last year.if you don’t believe it, show some data that tells us why basketball is more popular in this country. I want to know how you come up with these concepts.

The crappy football program does impact basketball significantly. IU has to play a certain number of home games of every season to pay the bills and support the other sports because football doesn’t make enough money. This hampers the ability of the basketball coaches to schedule marquee opponents. The university also has to rely on private donors to fund facilities upgrades whereas successful football schools generate the funds to pay for those upgrades without having to raise money and kiss ass.
That is not true at all. I don’t know where you came up with that one. How can having a bad football team keep you from scheduling marquee basketball games?

Reactions: DANC
Okay.... last time.

1. Football schools in the conference have used big revenue intake to fund their basketball staffs and facilities. They have surpassed IU in success. Look it up. There are win-loss records and tourney success to support that.

2. More schools are in the tourney, not because of popularity. It’s because so many can afford to field a team. The budget it takes to run a football program is enormous compare to b-ball.

I’m not the one who recorded the t.v ratings that showed 16.5 million people watched the NCAA championship game in men’s basketball. I didn’t just make up the fact that 109 million people watched the Super Bowl last year.if you don’t believe it, show some data that tells us why basketball is more popular in this country. I want to know how you come up with these concepts.
Can you tell me what the Super Bowl has to do with any of these conversations? Last I knew, we were discussing college basketball and football.

Once again, you post no facts - just opinion.

Have a merry Christmas. I hope Santa brings you some brain cells.

Every school - every one, no matter how much money is generated by football - hits up alumni for funds. Every one. No exceptions. Every one.

That is not true at all. I don’t know where you came up with that one. How can having a bad football team keep you from scheduling marquee basketball games?

Because most top programs are not going to come play in Assembly Hall and prefer a neutral site. IU has to play a certain number of home games to pay the bills and can’t give up a home game to play at a neutral site.

Because football sucks attendance is bad which means less money for the university. Basketball has to pick up the slack.

You are confused.

And obviously did not read the Indy Star report on comparative revenues between IU football and basketball. Football is outrevenueing basketball significantly.

You are also confusing “attendance” with “ ticket revenue.” IU sells 40,000+ tickets to each football game, which is historically pretty good going back to Mallory era numbers.

Finally, BTN and other TV money tells the tale. Ticket sales is comparative chump change these days in Power 5 football, at least at schools in the bottom half of the Power 5 conferences, which have never had big, reliable, repeated ticket sales. Our BTN money has made us capable of things tickets sales never could and never will.

And football does not “suck”
We have a lot going for us
Too bad you can’t wont don’t want to see it
IU football is a blast
You’re missing out

Football hasn’t had a winning season in 11 years! How else would you describe it? Take off the homer glasses. A good football program would draw 52k a game, meaning millions more each year for the athletics department.

You are confused.

And obviously did not read the Indy Star report on comparative revenues between IU football and basketball. Football is outrevenueing basketball significantly.

You are also confusing “attendance” with “ ticket revenue.” IU sells 40,000+ tickets to each football game, which is historically pretty good going back to Mallory era numbers.

Finally, BTN and other TV money tells the tale. Ticket sales is comparative chump change these days in Power 5 football, at least at schools in the bottom half of the Power 5 conferences, which have never had big, reliable, repeated ticket sales. Our BTN money has made us capable of things tickets sales never could and never will.

IU football is a blast
You’re missing out

Don’t tell this to DANC. He flunked Econ and thinks the basketball team out-earns the football intake. He’s one of these dinosaurs who thinks that if we just sell enough candystripe pants, we’ll be at the department budget of OSU or Texas A&M.

Oh....and 3 football schools are the marquee programs in the Big 10 now.

This guy is still living in the day of Bob Knight and Gene Keady’s comb-over. Truly unbelievable.

Don’t tell this to DANC. He flunked Econ and thinks the basketball team out-earns the football intake. He’s one of these dinosaurs who thinks that if we just sell enough candystripe pants, we’ll be at the department budget of OSU or Texas A&M.

This guy is still living in the day of Bob Knight and Gene Keady’s comb-over. Truly unbelievable.
what are you still doing here? don't you have a big game to get ready for? rolllll tide!
tenor.gif

Even if IU would sell out every football game they would not even come close to the revenues of OSU and UM. There is a lot of difference between getting 52,000 than getting 107,000 for a game. The make more money in one football game than we do the whole year so f you are going to try to compare revenues we will never come to close to those schools.

I do get tired of some of the young group thinking that sports were not relevant before they were born and have no respect for what happen before them or the older group on this board. It is also how I hate watching MLB network and the people who solely look at analytics downgrading the people who look at the game a different way thinking they are way smarter about the game.

Even if IU would sell out every football game they would not even come close to the revenues of OSU and UM. There is a lot of difference between getting 52,000 than getting 107,000 for a game. The make more money in one football game than we do the whole year so f you are going to try to compare revenues we will never come to close to those schools.

I do get tired of some of the young group thinking that sports were not relevant before they were born and have no respect for what happen before them or the older group on this board. It is also how I hate watching MLB network and the people who solely look at analytics downgrading the people who look at the game a different way thinking they are way smarter about the game.

I’m actually older than you Scott.

See - I remember IU during their basketball heyday and then got concerned when Wisconsin and MSU built brand new arenas and we decided to stick on autopilot. Wisconsin, particularly, was riding a new era of rejuvenation from football. I said at the time if “this crazy old coach of ours gets shit-canned, we’re going to get some major competition from the new generation of Big Ten coaches.”

And boy did we ever. Wisconsin buried us.

Reactions: IUgradman
You are confused.

IU football is a blast
You’re missing out

This.

Ticket sales aren't as bad as some believe, plus $20 a car to park in the best tailgate around ain't chump change.

BTN cash rules.

Idiot. I never said the revenue from football was less than basketball - I said the opposite. I said that revenue is different from net income, or profit. And that basketball was much more important to the overall bottom line to IU and the AD through branding and licensing opportunities.

If you would have graduated college, you would know the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT