ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article in the Star!

Didn’t Knoght throw something at Doninger or am I confusing stories??
he said/he said....who knows and my memory is getting foggy with age. I do remember, the period of March 2020 (when we got run off the court by Pepperdine in the first game) and Sept 2000...and the stories/rumors and zero tolerance stuff over the summer...interview with Jeremy Schaap...then the aftermath and team threatening to shut down the season after RMK fired. ..it was a pretty shitty time to be an IU basketball fan.

he said/he said....who knows and my memory is getting foggy with age. I do remember, the period of March 2020 (when we got run off the court by Pepperdine in the first game) and Sept 2000...and the stories/rumors and zero tolerance stuff over the summer...interview with Jeremy Schaap...then the aftermath and team threatening to shut down the season after RMK fired. ..it was a pretty shitty time to be an IU basketball fan.
Actually watching Knight school Dick Schapp’s wanker of a son was priceless

Note-

Kirk injured his knee right after tip off, and didn’t return. That had to be a devastating blow to that team. Of course, the mood around the program had to be pretty sour as the Reed tape hit shortly before that game, as well.

In any event, I wish Mr Haston the best, great guy.

Actually watching Knight school Dick Schapp’s wanker of a son was priceless
it was tough on Dick, who really liked RMK and considered themselves friends. Schapp Sr was one of the few in the press RMK respected, and that all ended on Sept 12 2000.

But I'll agree to an extent...Jeremy is too much of a new world metrosexual for me, at least as a sports reporter. He would be better served as a world news correspondent for ABC.

Reactions: kmathum
Note-

Kirk injured his knee right after tip off, and didn’t return. That had to be a devastating blow to that team. Of course, the mood around the program had to be pretty sour as the Reed tape hit shortly before that game, as well.

In any event, I wish Mr Haston the best, great guy.
yeah I remember Haston getting hurt 90 seconds in, and the game went sideways immediately. Little did any of us know, this was the final game for RMK at IU. Crappy way to end it.

and yes, Kirk Haston is a really good dude. Lost his mom in a tornado in 1999 in TN, a few days after the big F5 ripped through Moore/Bridge Creek OK.

• Love
Reactions: .Gerdis
Yes. There was coach search committee of seven or so people that hired Davis — they didn’t contact any candidates per an article, which is classic stupid IU.

And I recall players leaving was a big concern back then. I could be misremembering. Different times…
In hindsight, I bet the player defection threats were bogus. Wouldn’t they have to sit out a year back then?

I think part of the problem with the decision making back then was because everyone was in a state of shock over Knight’s sudden Zero Tolerance firing. People weren’t thinking right with minds all in a tizzy. It made the name “Myles Brand” an instant household name in the world of sports and academic administration, propelling him to a more prestigious gig with the NCAA. I’ll go to my grave with the knowledge that Myles Brand’s name will live in infamy as a scumbag, a true POS, in my way of thinking.

yeah I remember Haston getting hurt 90 seconds in, and the game went sideways immediately. Little did any of us know, this was the final game for RMK at IU. Crappy way to end it.

and yes, Kirk Haston is a really good dude. Lost his mom in a tornado in 1999 in TN, a few days after the big F5 ripped through Moore/Bridge Creek OK.
Knight threw a potted plant in the direction of Doninger's secretary

Sadly, that “pretty shitty time” has proven to be an extended time period to this day.

In hindsight, I bet the player defection threats were bogus. Wouldn’t they have to sit out a year back then?

I think part of the problem with the decision making back then was because everyone was in a state of shock over Knight’s sudden Zero Tolerance firing. People weren’t thinking right with minds all in a tizzy. It made the name “Myles Brand” an instant household name in the world of sports and academic administration, propelling him to a more prestigious gig with the NCAA. I’ll go to my grave with the knowledge that Myles Brand’s name will live in infamy as a scumbag, a true POS, in my way of thinking.
A new coach would have calmed everyone down and they would have stayed. Probably could keep MD and/or Trealor (spelling) on staff too.

yep they would have had to sit the entire 2000-2001 season, and find a school to go to, 3 weeks after the 1st semester had started. It was pure emotion and I really doubt any would have walked. But it was too late into the year for IU to find a suitable replacement. The big mistake IU made, and sorry CMD- you are a nice guy--was giving Davis the job full time after the season. He proved over the years, the lights were just too bright for him.

They probably would have had to sit out a year, but that wasn't as big a deal to them, I'm guessing, because there was nowhere to enroll in September, so even if they could get eligibility, there was nowhere for them to go.

Treloar was far more qualified and capable, but didn't want the job, allegedly, because it was such a minefield.

Knight threw a potted plant in the direction of Doninger's secretary

Are you sure about that?

I vaguely remember a player, I think Eli Holman?) throwing a plant.
Am I misremembering - wouldn't be the first time!

Found an article

Was there more potted plant abuse???

yep they would have had to sit the entire 2000-2001 season, and find a school to go to, 3 weeks after the 1st semester had started. It was pure emotion and I really doubt any would have walked. But it was too late into the year for IU to find a suitable replacement. The big mistake IU made, and sorry CMD- you are a nice guy--was giving Davis the job full time after the season. He proved over the years, the lights were just too bright for him.
If Davis had been let go after finishing his first season, there would have been hell to pay with the NAACP.

Hiring Davis to take the reins immediately after Knight's reign is the singular most egregious mistake the IU administration could possibly have made. We have yet to recover and may never in my remaining life time and yours. Its a sobering thought conducive to falling off the wagon (hiccup).

Are you sure about that?

I vaguely remember a player, I think Eli Holman?) throwing a plant.
Am I misremembering - wouldn't be the first time!

Found an article

Was there more potted plant abuse???
The only potted plant Holman knew was pot.

Doesn't mince words!

I immediately thought of Mark Shaw and wondered if Matt was related. Mark, you may recall, is the attorney/author who had a longstanding bone to pick with Knight. It was one of his sons who quipped the infamous, "Hey, Knight!", triggering the downfall of a once proud basketball dynasty. He wasn't.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta

The final/eternal insult is that he has a building named after him on campus.

Not sad but when IU is dead last and Purdue is in first place and IU on the front page and Purdue on the back? Sorry but it's obvious.
The media covers what will generate the most clicks and subscriptions. If The Star made more money covering Purdue it would receive more attention. Stop whining.

Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT