ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article in the Star!

If I recall correctly, there was a player group that demanded one of the assistants be named head coach. If demand wasn't met several threatened to walk. Fife was among the most vocal.
Yes. There was coach search committee of seven or so people that hired Davis — they didn’t contact any candidates per an article, which is classic stupid IU.

And I recall players leaving was a big concern back then. I could be misremembering. Different times…

No let them talk, Woodson should keep his mouth shut. People and posters already think he is arrogant keep quiet about the locker room and his recruiting. We have a whole state of IU coaches who think they could do better.
You finally got one thing right. Woodson should definitely keep his mouth shut. Congrats on that, but the rest is your typical fanboy gibberish.

• Angry
Reactions: ulrey and Willdog7
Yes. There was coach search committee of seven or so people that hired Davis — they didn’t contact any candidates per an article, which is classic stupid IU.

And I recall players leaving was a big concern back then. I could be misremembering. Different times…
The players (Jeffries, Newton, Fife, Moye, etc) demanded co-coaches. John Treolar was smart enough to turn it down. The rest is history.

If I recall correctly, there was a player group that demanded one of the assistants be named head coach. If demand wasn't met several threatened to walk. Fife was among the most vocal.
Correct. They demanded that either Trelor (sp?) or Davis be named head coach, Davis was selected.

AD should have called their bluff, IU was way too big a program to hire an assistant from anywhere as a new HC. But he was probably already getting daily death threats from the Knight supporters.

I didn't remember that there was a search committee. Why on earth have a committee and then not interview anyone. That is idiocy.

I didn't remember that there was a search committee. Why on earth have a committee and then not interview anyone. That is idiocy.
You misspelled IU Athletic Department. Oh wait, no you didn't. My bad.

**** the Star.

.."a quarter century of misguided nostalgia.."

Karma has arrived and sat on the program since the despicable treatment of the man responsible for giving IU its' place in the sun.

It was always Bob Knight's program. When the woke ****s running the university hired Myles Brand, it was to do the dirty work that none of them had the balls to do.

Never has been an organization so worthy of karma's wrath.
Spot on.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
The problem was that Knight got fired in September. There wasn't time for an exhaustive search, and unless wheels were already in motion no one of note was leaving. That said, IU's players would have had difficulty landing anywhere, and would have had to sit out a year.

The problem was that Knight got fired in September. There wasn't time for an exhaustive search, and unless wheels were already in motion no one of note was leaving. That said, IU's players would have had difficulty landing anywhere, and would have had to sit out a year.
Trying to remember, was that first Davis year an "interim" HC appointment, or did they make him permanent HC right away?

Did Keady have a warrant out for his arrest? Did Keady throw a flower pot at a secretary? Did Keady choke a player? Did Keady throw a chair cross court during a game? The list is endless. Yes, IU sacrificed integrity for wins. Not judging it but it is a fact.
lol I don’t know if El Swirlo did those things but I do love listening to the PUkie version of the Knight stories.
Not sad but when IU is dead last and Purdue is in first place and IU on the front page and Purdue on the back? Sorry but it's obvious.
you get more coverage than Indiana State so count your blessings.

Did Keady have a warrant out for his arrest? Did Keady throw a flower pot at a secretary? Did Keady choke a player? Did Keady throw a chair cross court during a game? The list is endless. Yes, IU sacrificed integrity for wins. Not judging it but it is a fact.
IU was always a flash in the pan program.

From 1939 (McCracken's first season, which coincided with the advent of the NCAA tournament) through 1971, Indiana:

*Had a record of 478-281 (63.0%)
*Had 9 losing seasons, and 2 more .500 seasons
*Had only 5 NCAA tournament appearances
*Won only 10 NCAA tournament games (with 7 coming in the two title years)
*Won only 5 Big 10 championships

Knight's first 16 years produced remarkable success, but from 1988-2000:

*He went 15-13 in the NCAA tournament, making only 1 FF and 2 regional finals
*Had 7 double-digit loss seasons
*Never finished higher than 18th in the AP poll, or advanced past the Sweet 16 from 1994 on.

No let them talk, Woodson should keep his mouth shut. People and posters already think he is arrogant keep quiet about the locker room and his recruiting. We have a whole state of IU coaches who think they could do better.
Why do you only want black players on the team?

You still haven’t answered that question, Willdog.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The AD was between three rocks and a hard place (RMK) and had to consider self-preservation. The President was prodded on by a couple of faculty members & possibly a BOT member (I couldn’t confirm the BOT link though). The President got his glory & a better job out of it, one of the faculty ended up at Berkeley, and IU basketball fans got a damaged program.
The players were very po’d that they had no input, so the administration caved & let them keep CMD.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Touché. How many hate letters did you and your cousin send Tubby?
Indiana_Klan_percentage.jpg

IU was always a flash in the pan program.

From 1939 (McCracken's first season, which coincided with the advent of the NCAA tournament) through 1971, Indiana:

*Had a record of 478-281 (63.0%)
*Had 9 losing seasons, and 2 more .500 seasons
*Had only 5 NCAA tournament appearances
*Won only 10 NCAA tournament games (with 7 coming in the two title years)
*Won only 5 Big 10 championships

Knight's first 16 years produced remarkable success, but from 1988-2000:

*He went 15-13 in the NCAA tournament, making only 1 FF and 2 regional finals
*Had 7 double-digit loss seasons
*Never finished higher than 18th in the AP poll, or advanced past the Sweet 16 from 1994 on.

Now, I know that you know this, but it's disingenuous to talk about NCAA tourney appearances. The tourney didn't expand to 16 teams until 1951, and only 24 teams by your end date of 1971. Many of those years they only took conference champions. So throwing out a lack of tourney appearances (compared to today) is kind of weak.

Now, I know that you know this, but it's disingenuous to talk about NCAA tourney appearances. The tourney didn't expand to 16 teams until 1951, and only 24 teams by your end date of 1971. Many of those years they only took conference champions. So throwing out a lack of tourney appearances (compared to today) is kind of weak.
Fair.

You're remembering correctly. It was especially bothersome because it was September and if the players walked there wasn't any way to replace them but with walk-ons.

I missed that. When did head troll post that?
Oh, he didn’t.

But when he accused smitty of being unhappy with Woodson because smitty supposedly wants Woody to recruit fewer black players, I figured it’s open season. So I called Willdog a racist in return.

Check page three of the “Leal and Galloway” thread.

**** that.

Correct. They demanded that either Trelor (sp?) or Davis be named head coach, Davis was selected.

AD should have called their bluff, IU was way too big a program to hire an assistant from anywhere as a new HC. But he was probably already getting daily death threats from the Knight supporters.
Also an administrative numbnuts named Clapacs reshaping the Athletic Department to meet nondynamic parameters. He did a quality job impacting the next 2+ decades.

Doesn't mince words!

That is a good ex-pat native Hoosier perspective, well-reasoned, and I think pretty well sums up the mood of the vast fan base that sees it more broadly. We're not alone in this universe or destroying recruiting with our old man gripes here!

• Wow
Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT