ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs Kansas for Mgbako

Those “knuckleheads” are front and center of the basketball collective from Day 1 and a big reason we are even in the ballpark with top recruits. I so tire of the whining about them around here - you don’t have to like their style, and at least you did give credit for learning about Coach Ya on a recent podcast (and the current Anthony Walker podcast is worth a listen), but complaining is easy; “doing” is harder.
They seized an attention opportunity, and won big time. How much have they personally gave? You think anywhere in the stratosphere as me for example?

They started a podcast to hear themselves talk, and saw a way to get 10x the attention through NIL and being a used cars salesman for IU. Smart move. Awful representation for our university, but smart move from him.

Those “knuckleheads” are front and center of the basketball collective from Day 1 and a big reason we are even in the ballpark with top recruits. I so tire of the whining about them around here - you don’t have to like their style, and at least you did give credit for learning about Coach Ya on a recent podcast (and the current Anthony Walker podcast is worth a listen), but complaining is easy; “doing” is harder.
Those idiots are an embarrassment to the university. Good Lord. That’s not even opinion. They’re a joke. Were they doing this schtick for another school we compete with, the thread on here dedicated to making fun of them would be the most replied to one on the board. IU gets recruits in spite of those pathetic morons.

Kansas had a guy enter the portal yesterday, which frees up a scholarship. They seem confident they’ll get him.
So many different ways to look at this.

Kansas has had more than 1 kid enter the portal since the Dickinson decision. Were those decisions based off Dickinsons decision? Are their other transfers showing up on campus, and these kids are realizing they're better? Morris and Timberlake are both better than any of the wings they had returning, but until you workout next to them, maybe there were still questions? Are they pissed that they're even going after Mgbako, after signing both Morris and Timberlake?

The part I don't get...

Harris at 1
Morris, Timberlake, Adams 2-4
Dickinson at 5

Is Mgbako taking one of the 2-4 guys starting spot? Will they transfer if he does commit?

Yeah, they are knuckleheads, and the fact that they are front and center of all this is what worries me. Are they front and center? Or are they simply the most conspicuous because they also have a podcast? I’m sorry my opinion bothers you, but you should know I’m not alone in thinking they are cringe.

Perhaps what this would be a nice compensation prize:

This is where I'm starting to form some thoughts that NIL collective money, at a place like KU, is basically "limitless".

If Kansas had any sort of "set amount" that they had to think about, manage, etc... A Dickinson for Udeh trade, and having to pony up what they did to get Dickinson...it doesn't make a ton of sense. I'm not sure Dickinson makes them all that much better, than having a sophomore Udeh at center. Udeh is a better defender, he's more efficient on the block, and he's already been a part of your team and system. Dickinson is obviously a better overall offensive player. Probably a better rebounder. But does he make your team all that much better?

If, however, you don't really need to worry about the money spent. And you can get highly coveted guys like Morris, then Timberlake...and can still pay a guy like Dickinson...AND still go hard after a HS kid like Mgbako, and then whoever else after him. Then sure, why not?! Maybe Dickinson's offensive abilities put them over the top. If not, its just collective money! Its just 1 year...

This is where I'm starting to form some thoughts that NIL collective money, at a place like KU, is basically "limitless".

If Kansas had any sort of "set amount" that they had to think about, manage, etc... A Dickinson for Udeh trade, and having to pony up what they did to get Dickinson...it doesn't make a ton of sense. I'm not sure Dickinson makes them all that much better, than having a sophomore Udeh at center. Udeh is a better defender, he's more efficient on the block, and he's already been a part of your team and system. Dickinson is obviously a better overall offensive player. Probably a better rebounder. But does he make your team all that much better?

If, however, you don't really need to worry about the money spent. And you can get highly coveted guys like Morris, then Timberlake...and can still pay a guy like Dickinson...AND still go hard after a HS kid like Mgbako, and then whoever else after him. Then sure, why not?! Maybe Dickinson's offensive abilities put them over the top. If not, its just collective money! Its just 1 year...
Self isn't showing a lot of loyalty to his players by bringing in Dickinson.

Kansas had a guy enter the portal yesterday, which frees up a scholarship. They seem confident they’ll get him.
They didn’t want him to leave. They fought to keep him. He left because he would be sitting behind HD. This gives them 3 open scholarships plus he was a pure 5 guy.

Reactions: brianiu
Was he asked to leave or did he not like the idea of trying to compete for playing time? Maybe another program got in his ear.

Self isn't showing a lot of loyalty to his players by bringing in Dickinson.
I guess they do have some limits in their money...or they would have just paid Udeh a ton of money to stay as Dickinson's backup.

I know what a jackass. Prob kick him off the team, like you wanted last year. Right, Viv?

Bad influence on all these other kids coming to IU. Bunch of Burger boys that have no business getting paid, need to just shut up and dribble. Ware and Mack have no business representing your university, like him.

Right?
Ha, that’s just silly. I recommend Midol for your troubles.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Playing time vs role player on a potential NCAA Championship team. I would think the young man would want the playing time; particularly if one and done. Edge to Old IU !!!

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He would be out best big day one.
Not sure on that... All 4 of our bigs are really good at certain things, but have holes or question marks in multiple areas. Udeh does as well.

Reneau is more skilled offensively.
Ware is more versatile in who he can guard, and is better on the perimeter offensively.
Walker is faster and quicker up and down the floor.
Sparks is more well rounded an offensive player.

Udeh would be our most efficient interior offensive player. And possibly our best post defender. But he isn't great away from the basket. He isn't overly versatile defensively. Doesn't seem to be all that good a passer.

If Woody were to go after Udeh...I'd basically fully give up on him having any desire to modernize, and play more perimeter oriented basketball.

Can anyone provide some insight on Kansas Twitter “knowing Mgbako to Kansas is a 100% done deal”? They are all acting like they have some fact that is somehow hidden from everyone

Not sure on that... All 4 of our bigs are really good at certain things, but have holes or question marks in multiple areas. Udeh does as well.

Reneau is more skilled offensively.
Ware is more versatile in who he can guard, and is better on the perimeter offensively.
Walker is faster and quicker up and down the floor.
Sparks is more well rounded an offensive player.

Udeh would be our most efficient interior offensive player. And possibly our best post defender. But he isn't great away from the basket. He isn't overly versatile defensively. Doesn't seem to be all that good a passer.

If Woody were to go after Udeh...I'd basically fully give up on him having any desire to modernize, and play more perimeter oriented basketball.
Udeh reminds me of Oscar. He’s that type of big.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Playing time vs role player on a potential NCAA Championship team. I would think the young man would want the playing time; particularly if one and done. Edge to Old IU !!!
If he's is as good as advertised, MM certainly won't be a role player; he'll see plenty of court time for either school. Advantage neither as it relates to PT.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If he's is as good as advertised, MM certainly won't be a role player; he'll see plenty of court time for either school. Advantage neither as it relates to PT.
Yeah...Kansas does have some voids at the "big wing" position or category. He'd start alongside Adams and Dickinson, I'm sure. Just like he'd start alongside Reneau and Ware, for us.

Kansas might have more collateral damage from a Mgbako signing, than we will though. They have a lot of highly rated and talented guards and wings, that will have their roles and/or minutes cut, versus what I'm sure they were anticipating, prior to them signing a guy like Mgbako.

Yeah...Kansas does have some voids at the "big wing" position or category. He'd start alongside Adams and Dickinson, I'm sure. Just like he'd start alongside Reneau and Ware, for us.

Kansas might have more collateral damage from a Mgbako signing, than we will though. They have a lot of highly rated and talented guards and wings, that will have their roles and/or minutes cut, versus what I'm sure they were anticipating, prior to them signing a guy like Mgbako.
Perhaps he wants to play with more talented teammates. If MM is that good, it won't matter to NBA scouts if he averages 25 mpg for Kansas or 33 mpg for IU.

Reactions: birdforbogey
I was reading comments on twitte and these Kansas fans are an incredibly cocky and arrongant group. Man would be nice to see them slapped down.

@RockChalkBlog

Also, I'm stating the obvious here, but Mackenzie Mgbako to Kansas seems really strong right about now, considering all the backup bigs are transferring off the roster. Announcement coming tomorrow.

Jason Peters

@JasonPe27807905

Yeah..um? Ernest Udeh is leaving. Our #1 sub off bench has ENTERED the Transfer Pool. I'd rather keep Udeh & Indiana can have Mgbako. But? Something had make Udeh all sudden make this decision. Only thing I can think of? Self & Udeh already know Mgbako is coming.

Reactions: HOOS13R
I was reading comments on twitte and these Kansas fans are an incredibly cocky and arrongant group. Man would be nice to see them slapped down.

@RockChalkBlog

Also, I'm stating the obvious here, but Mackenzie Mgbako to Kansas seems really strong right about now, considering all the backup bigs are transferring off the roster. Announcement coming tomorrow.

Jason Peters
@JasonPe27807905

Yeah..um? Ernest Udeh is leaving. Our #1 sub off bench has ENTERED the Transfer Pool. I'd rather keep Udeh & Indiana can have Mgbako. But? Something had make Udeh all sudden make this decision. Only thing I can think of? Self & Udeh already know Mgbako is coming.
Lol. They don’t even know.

@RockChalkBlog

Jason Peters
@JasonPe27807905

Regarding Udeh, could he be simply protecting his interests to meet the deadline. Maybe they don’t know what MM will be doing and he wants to leave his options open?

Also maybe someone is in Udeh’s ear that he needs more NIL?

I have to think when schools are opening the vault for a prospect it doesn’t settle well with others.

Regarding Udeh, could he be simply protecting his interests to meet the deadline. Maybe they don’t know what MM will be doing and he wants to leave his options open?

Also maybe someone is in Udeh’s ear that he needs more NIL?

I have to think when schools are opening the vault for a prospect it doesn’t settle well with others.
IMO Udeh knows Dickskin is there for 2 years and cuts his minutes in half. The timing is suspect but that’s what I’m telling myself

l

Id still rather have Reneau next year over Udeh. Udeh probably better NBA potential down the road
He’s not a typical nba 5 or 4. hes Not more skilled just bigger. MK has potential because he can at least shoot some. They really aren’t similar.

IMO Udeh knows Dickskin is there for 2 years and cuts his minutes in half. The timing is suspect but that’s what I’m telling myself
He was rumored to be leaving before MM was being recruited. KU didn’t need another scholarship either. Self didn’t want this transfer.

Reactions: hoosier0808

@RockChalkBlog

Jason Peters
@JasonPe27807905

I would have to guess that Dickinson's decision had a lot more to do with Udeh leaving than Mgbako does. Logic would lead to the thought that the lag in timing, after Dickinson recruitment and announcement, was due to Kansas not wanting Udeh to leave, and there being a few days worth of back and forth, and Udeh ending up not being satisfied...and finally entering portal.

I kinda doubt the Udeh's portal timing is tied to Mgbako's final decision and the timing of it.

@RockChalkBlog

Jason Peters
@JasonPe27807905

Please learn how to post tweets.

I don't know if it's just me, but it takes me a minute trying to sort out posts when they aren't done correctly.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Perhaps he wants to play with more talented teammates. If MM is that good, it won't matter to NBA scouts if he averages 25 mpg for Kansas or 33 mpg for IU.
Zach Randolph wasn’t even a starter for MSU and was a first round pick. Went on to have a solid 18 year career and made several millions.

I would have to guess that Dickinson's decision had a lot more to do with Udeh leaving than Mgbako does. Logic would lead to the thought that the lag in timing, after Dickinson recruitment and announcement, was due to Kansas not wanting Udeh to leave, and there being a few days worth of back and forth, and Udeh ending up not being satisfied...and finally entering portal.

I kinda doubt the Udeh's portal timing is tied to Mgbako's final decision and the timing of it.
Here is what we know as of now:

1. Rabjohns knows nothing. He never has. Hard to believe he gets a paycheck.
2. Kansas fans think he is a lock to Kansas.
3. Cav thinks he is coming to IU.
4. He if following some IU guys on instigram so some fans think it is a tell of things to come.
5. The IU insider on another site has no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT