ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs Kansas for Mgbako

I’ll say Kansas when the 247 guys start picking. Those Rival guys and Twitter hacks are just that.
. . . and they ain't picking . . . the best information on 247 I read is that the BiG/ACC Challenge is done. Expired. Didn't know that . . . .

How many 5* kids have we had?

I'm talking conference, not just us (sorry about the bad wording).

Coaching can only do so much.

Our conference has had two years in a row where we've had one team make the sweet 16. That's not good, how ever you try and spin it.

Out conference hasn't won a national championship since Michigan State won it in 2000. Since then, the conference has been a runner up a total of seven times.

North Carolina has won the championship three times in that span and has been the runner up another two times by themselves.

Our conference has a serious image problem.

Our conference has had two years in a row where we've had one team make the sweet 16. That's not good, how ever you try and spin it.

Out conference hasn't won a national championship since Michigan State won it in 2000. Since then, the conference has been a runner up a total of seven times.

North Carolina has won the championship three times in that span and has been the runner up another two times by themselves.

The issue is Indiana has been pedestrian since 2000. When Indiana is elite, the Big Ten is the best conference in the country.

The issue is Indiana has been pedestrian since 2000. When Indiana is elite, the Big Ten is the best conference in the country.

Until the conference moves away from hold and grab basketball, it won't matter.

The majority of the good players are going to continue to go to different conferences and the Big 10 will continue to be left behind.

The majority of the good players are going to continue to go to different conferences and the Big 10 will continue to be left behind.
It's the money. You get more in the SEC and no one cares in that conference.

Maybe we should not spend so much time on 5 star guys we will most likely miss on and just concentrate on solid 4 star guys. We will likely keep missing on most of them until we win at a high level and can prove we play modern bbal.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Accept that isn't true. The best player in the country played for Purdue and TJD was top 5ish. The Big Ten has plenty of good players. The issue is we lack any Blue Bloods currently. MSU is close and Purdue is a step behind them. If IU was as dominant as we were in the 70s and 80s, the Big Ten would be the best conference.

It's the money. You get more in the SEC and no one cares in that conference.

Ledlum told people on his visit he was coming to IU on his visit until Tennessee sent him plays where guys held and grabbed and they weren't called and asked if he wanted to play in a league like that. We know how that worked out.

You can say its money all you want, but you're ignoring the elephant in the room.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Accept that isn't true. The best player in the country played for Purdue and TJD was top 5ish. The Big Ten has plenty of good players. The issue is we lack any Blue Bloods currently. MSU is close and Purdue is a step behind them. If IU was as dominant as we were in the 70s and 80s, the Big Ten would be the best conference.

You are making my case for me and don't realize it.

Ask yourself why we don't have any blue bloods and why we keep losing these recruitments in conference and you'll get your answers.

And it's not because we don't have money to offer kids.

Reactions: kkott
We may or may not get him, but I am guessing we’ll be at least matching any offer.

You are making my case for me and don't realize it.

Ask yourself why we don't have any blue bloods and why we keep losing these recruitments in conference and you'll get your answers.

And it's not because we don't have money to offer kids.
The reason we don't have any blue bloods is because IU university has consistently made poor hiring decisions.

I agree with this. Perception is sometimes everything… And there is certainly a perception, which is at least partially based on reality, that our conference is a banger game. We have several teams such as Wisconsin, Rutgers and Purdue who do really well just fouling the hell out of everything, pounding it inside, and just playing smash mouth in general. And they would NOT be successful in many other leagues playing that style. It shows in the NCAA tourney time when our top teams get trampled.

This has cost us a lot of top talent and until the conference changes how they call games, we will continue to struggle. B1G is part of the problem.

We didn’t want that dingleberry anyways
I'd have taken him. Looked like he could play . . .

. . . he's in for the short term though. At best Pitino's a hedge against UCONN developing further in the Big East. Ain't gonna work . . . he's too old.

The reason we don't have any blue bloods is because IU university has consistently made poor hiring decisions.

Well, yeah.

However, Indiana can only control what Indiana does. Indiana has no control on what the rest of the league does. We had 9 teams in the tournament this year. One got the sweet 16 and they lost.

Until the conference as a whole decides to change our offiating style, we are going to continue to struggle to compete in March and attract talent as a whole to the conference.

We have a deep conference, but the style of play doesn’t translate and it’s why you see a lack of success in the tourney. No team is going to regain or gain blue blood status in the conference as it stands right now until somebody can either overcome the perception (based on some fact) of the conference or the conference itself changes.

Reactions: sglowrider
Right, but where was Edey ranked coming out of HS and how many bluebloods wanted him? TJD was an in-state kid; we're not going to attract top talent if we're limited to 5* guys in the southern half of IN. I do think a lot of top kids are snubbing the B10 due to it's style of play and I'm willing to bet it's what all these kids hear when being recruited by the blue bloods in other conferences. I do think it's an issue.

Well, yeah.

However, Indiana can only control what Indiana does. Indiana has no control on what the rest of the league does. We had 9 teams in the tournament this year. One got the sweet 16 and they lost.

Until the conference as a whole decides to change our offiating style, we are going to continue to struggle to compete in March and attract talent as a whole to the conference.
This years NCAA tournament was incredibly physical. One of the Tennessee games, ironically to your argument, was so over the top physical that the pundits after the game were openly slamming the officiating. I think all of college bball has an officiating issue. Mainly just with consistency. Both game to game, region to region, but also within games. Why the B10 is allowing this to be branded on them is beyond me.

1) If it is an issue...use some of the millions upon millions of TV contract dollars to fix it. You will call the games this way, or you will be fired...

2) If its not, put the whole thing on blast. Show clips of the Tennessee tournament game. Give stats and facts to dispute the claims.

I just think B10 officials are horrible...some games they let everything go, some games they don't. Some times they change their style within games.

Well, yeah.

I'll reframe it. If the Big Ten officials call a few more fouls, IU, and the conference will have more titles and deep runs? You don't think that is a weak argument?

We have a deep conference, but the style of play doesn’t translate and it’s why you see a lack of success in the tourney. No team is going to regain or gain blue blood status in the conference as it stands right now until somebody can either overcome the perception (based on some fact) of the conference or the conference itself changes.
MSU disproves this. They have been a top 10 program the past 20+ years because they hired a great coach.

This years NCAA tournament was incredibly physical. One of the Tennessee games, ironically to your argument, was so over the top physical that the pundits after the game were openly slamming the officiating. I think all of college bball has an officiating issue. Mainly just with consistency. Both game to game, region to region, but also within games. Why the B10 is allowing this to be branded on them is beyond me.

1) If it is an issue...use some of the millions upon millions of TV contract dollars to fix it. You will call the games this way, or you will be fired...

2) If its not, put the whole thing on blast. Show clips of the Tennessee tournament game. Give stats and facts to dispute the claims.

I just think B10 officials are horrible...some games they let everything go, some games they don't. Some times they change their style within games.
I don’t like some of the slugfest games either. On the other hand, I saw 5 Big Ten refs working in the NCAA tournament. And those are only the ones that I noticed. There were probably more.
I doubt they changed much, if any, from conference to tournament. So I think this gets overstated. The bigger reason that the Big Ten gets this rep IMO is that a few teams want to play this way. WI, Rutgers, and NW primarily.

Ledlum told people on his visit he was coming to IU on his visit until Tennessee sent him plays where guys held and grabbed and they weren't called and asked if he wanted to play in a league like that. We know how that worked out.

You can say its money all you want, but you're ignoring the elephant in the room.

Was this widely reported?
Otherwise, how do you know that is how it went down?

Reactions: birdforbogey
I'll reframe it. If the Big Ten officials call a few more fouls, IU, and the conference will have more titles and deep runs? You don't think that is a weak argument?

No, because teams would have to adapt how officials are calling games in conference.

Currently, teams know they can grab and tug and generally get away with it in conference. When tournament time comes around, games are called differently and teams in the Big 10 are having a hard time adapting.

It's just the way it is.

The Wisky/Michigan UP border looks like paradise: nothing but lakes. I'm going to be spending some time in Northern Michigan fishing pretty soon and may get a wild hair up my ass and check out the UP. The UP looks pretty awesome.
Pick your time carefully. A lot of the year the interior is snow or mud or heat and black flies or mosquitoes. The Superior shore is nice and there are several great waterfalls.

No, because teams would have to adapt how officials are calling games in conference.

Currently, teams know they can grab and tug and generally get away with it in conference. When tournament time comes around, games are called differently and teams in the Big 10 are having a hard time adapting.

It's just the way it is.
It doesn’t have to be that way.

Just listened to Jim Coyle's show and they all think it is Kansas. Maybe we will shock the world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT