ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs Kansas for Mgbako

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Louisville visit has been canceled per reports. Hopefully Woody can close this. Would be a huge huge get.

Reactions: Willdog7
According to TOS, his mother liked a bunch of pro-Kansas posts on Twitter, and then hours later, liked a couple IU posts. But then an hour or so ago, the entire IU coaching staff began to follow her, while no Kansas coaches follow her.

No clue as to what all of that means...

According to TOS, his mother liked a bunch of pro-Kansas posts on Twitter, and then hours later, liked a couple IU posts. But then an hour or so ago, the entire IU coaching staff began to follow her, while no Kansas coaches follow her.

As long as the IU staff doesn’t leave her as unread on Snapchat…or wait…maybe that’s what you’re supposed to do when you kinda like someone??

Oh my god IU staff?! You’re so cringy.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Here is what happened
toilet-poop.gif

Stal

Stalkers…

Crean flushed, but since the toilet was plugged, it overflowed and caused damage. Crean/IU couldn't pay for the repairs, since it would have been a recruiting violation.

Thank god he's gone.
Then on the flight home "We fight on!" lmao

Stal

Stalkers…

LOL, TOS says that she also just started following Carmelo. Makes me wonder if Carmelo was on speakerphone during the visit. Between Adam Howard placing a Nigerian flag in MM's IU locker (which MM's dad loved) and potentially this, it looks like our staff is doing everything they can...

Reactions: rocketo
How do u take a shit at someone’s house ever if it’s your first time meeting them. Like you have to be sick about to shit your pants. Crean is a sick puppy.
I guess there were no hotels or gas stations on his way to Kyrie's.... was it Kyrie? What a turd.

It seems like Kansas might have the NIL game down a little better than IU does? We struck out last year, and this year, we've whiffed on a handful of kids. We did get Ware, but I wouldn't say the competition for him was overly stiff, for some reason, despite his talent and high rankings.

Kansas, in the last couple years, has gotten some really good and sought after transfers. Namely McCullar and Dickinson, but also Timberlake, who we were after fairly hard early on.

Mgbako isn't a transfer, obviously. But his late recruitment, after opening up from Duke, gives it that sort of dynamic and vibe.

My heart is on IU...my money would be on Kansas with this one. I doubt KU has any more money than IU does, at this point, but they sure seem to know how to use what they have better than we do.

on the surface, my feelings are "get this kid, and we have a potential top 10 team next year...yay!"

Deep inside, I'm thinking "Pay to play. that's we're we are now....the name on the front of the jersey no longer matters". And then I start feeling old and grumpy.

Only good news in my world is winter is over, the local waters have warmed, the bass are getting hungry, and I'm heading back up to northern WI in a few weeks to catch every walleye and smallmouth within 50 mile radius.

Close the deal CMW.

ABC-Always-Be-Closing-810x507.jpg

The choice is come to IU and be the focal point and possible scoring leader of the team or go to KU and fight for PT, since they are loaded with talent and experience. The big advantage would be KU will be a national title favorite. IU still needs one more piece, like Dingle, to be in that conversation.

The choice is come to IU and be the focal point and possible scoring leader of the team or go to KU and fight for PT, since they are loaded with talent and experience. The big advantage would be KU will be a national title favorite. IU still needs one more piece, like Dingle, to be in that conversation.
Obviously we don't really know exactly what is driving this kid. But it would seem like 2 main factors are pretty obvious.

1) NIL package...which one is the most attractive.
2) NBA prep...this has been lost in the whole NIL conversation, but I have to think is still very, very high on MM's priority list.

Obviously there are a bazillion other things that could factor in...including the old reliables like whether he likes the coaches and campus life and stuff...remember those things?!

Seems like Kansas has been better in the NIL game than IU, overall. The NBA prep side...not sure on that one. Woody has actual NBA ties, and I would think can paint a pretty decent picture to a kid that he knows how to help them achieve their ultimate dream. And as successful as Kansas has been, they haven't been an NBA lottery pick producing factory like a Duke/UK type program has.

I think Kansas beats us out with whatever they're doing better in the NIL game...hope I'm wrong.

Obviously we don't really know exactly what is driving this kid. But it would seem like 2 main factors are pretty obvious.

1) NIL package...which one is the most attractive.
2) NBA prep...this has been lost in the whole NIL conversation, but I have to think is still very, very high on MM's priority list.

Obviously there are a bazillion other things that could factor in...including the old reliables like whether he likes the coaches and campus life and stuff...remember those things?!

Seems like Kansas has been better in the NIL game than IU, overall. The NBA prep side...not sure on that one. Woody has actual NBA ties, and I would think can paint a pretty decent picture to a kid that he knows how to help them achieve their ultimate dream. And as successful as Kansas has been, they haven't been an NBA lottery pick producing factory like a Duke/UK type program has.

I think Kansas beats us out with whatever they're doing better in the NIL game...hope I'm wrong.
Just a long distance opinion, but I think NBA prep is way above NIL for this one (Ware too, btw). Is there really any other reason guys like this are talking to Woodson? What he did for TJD and JHS are paying big dividends already. Probably doesn't hurt to have the Knicks connections either, with the kid being from NJ.

Just a long distance opinion, but I think NBA prep is way above NIL for this one (Ware too, btw). Is there really any other reason guys like this are talking to Woodson? What he did for TJD and JHS are paying big dividends already. Probably doesn't hurt to have the Knicks connections either, with the kid being from NJ.
Two trains of thought here...

1)Kids that have realistic NBA chances...that should still be the number 1 driving factor in college decisions.
2)Most kids likely think they're ready for the NBA already, so they don't need colleges to better prepare them. Leaving them more open to just take whoever is giving them the most NIL money.

Probably just depends on the particular kid making the choice.

Seems, to me, like KU checks more boxes than IU. But hopefully Woody's recent NBA experiences weigh heavily, and hopefully I'm just wrong on where IU stands vs. KU in the NIL game.

Two trains of thought here...

1)Kids that have realistic NBA chances...that should still be the number 1 driving factor in college decisions.
2)Most kids likely think they're ready for the NBA already, so they don't need colleges to better prepare them. Leaving them more open to just take whoever is giving them the most NIL money.

Probably just depends on the particular kid making the choice.

Seems, to me, like KU checks more boxes than IU. But hopefully Woody's recent NBA experiences weigh heavily, and hopefully I'm just wrong on where IU stands vs. KU in the NIL game.
Whether or not we land this kid, it’s a good sign that it’s between and us and Kansas. It’s not like it’s us or Cincinnati. It’s not down to Kansas and Kentucky, or Kansas and UNC. It’s Kansas or IU.

The bottom line is who is going to pay him the most money. End of story.

While i think your point here is perfectly logical, I’d like to point out that in the Hoosier Hysterics podcast with Coach Ya (which I thought was illuminating, and worth powering through despite those two knuckleheads adding their static), he specifically stated that there are a lot of transfer players out there there that are only looking at NIL money to make their decision, and he was pretty direct about saying IU coaches don’t want those players at IU. No doubt that applies to incoming freshmen as well. NIL money will surely have an influence in all this, as will be ensuring he gets to the league. Style of play and shots/minutes will be a huge factor as well.

While i think your point here is perfectly logical, I’d like to point out that in the Hoosier Hysterics podcast with Coach Ya (which I thought was illuminating, and worth powering through despite those two knuckleheads adding their static), he specifically stated that there are a lot of transfer players out there there that are only looking at NIL money to make their decision, and he was pretty direct about saying IU coaches don’t want those players at IU. No doubt that applies to incoming freshmen as well. NIL money will surely have an influence in all this, as will be ensuring he gets to the league. Style of play and shots/minutes will be a huge factor as well.
Who he practices against may have some bearing too. Wooden used to sell that point . . . practice against the best players and you'll be among the best . . . .

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT