ADVERTISEMENT

IU-3 1/2 to -5 odds right now

More than I expected
I actually was expecting Illinois to be a slight favorite, maybe a pick em game.

But that's just mainly based off knowing that Illinois was more than a little better than IU was, on the field last year.

Its a new year, no clue what they lost/added, and its at IU.

I would imagine early betting will be pretty heavy on Illinois, especially at IU -5...I bet the lines move closer to pickem in the next couple weeks.

The line will swing based on how well organized the Illini look hosting Wyoming the week before.

ESPN FPI says IU 66% to win https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401405061

CFN picked the Illini https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/08/illinois-vs-indiana-prediction-game-preview-lines-tv

I expect a big rebound effort, led by depth on defense, from IU to start this season on a high note.
Wilt and Randolph will tune the DL line charges to what today’s roster does best.
Competent offense will keep the door closed in the second half, by keeping the defense fresh.

Illinois was only 5-7 last year and we are playing at home.

And, on paper at least, we are still more talented than them by a fairly reasonable margin.
Being a FG to TD favorite makes sense to me. That said, if they stomp Wyoming, it might come down.

Major chip on the shooulders of the Iu players this year. Motivation and playing hard every play will be a given. The coaching staff was, at least in my humble opinion, upgraded significantly except one spot. Bell knows offense better than Sheridan and knows how to adjust, plus has more weapons. Allen running the defense will result in a D closer to 2020 than the disaster of last year. i remain optimistic, at least for the first game. Afterwards, we'll see.

Illinois was only 5-7 last year and we are playing at home.

And, on paper at least, we are still more talented than them by a fairly reasonable margin.
Being a FG to TD favorite makes sense to me. That said, if they stomp Wyoming, it might come down.
Illinois went 4-5 in the B1G and got better as the season progressed. We went 0 for the B1G and got worse as the season progressed. I’m not sure where all of this confidence is coming from. I hope we win but I see no logical reason to expect it.

Illinois went 4-5 in the B1G and got better as the season progressed. We went 0 for the B1G and got worse as the season progressed. I’m not sure where all of this confidence is coming from. I hope we win but I see no logical reason to expect it.
It comes from improving players due to transfer portal and new coaches with major experience. Keep up with the changes and you would know where it comes from. This staff knows what they are doing where last season the OC didn't know how to adjust after the scripted plays the first drive when defenses adjusted.

It comes from improving players due to transfer portal and new coaches with major experience. Keep up with the changes and you would know where it comes from. This staff knows what they are doing where last season the OC didn't know how to adjust after the scripted plays the first drive when defenses adjusted.
I agree that we are in better hands on offense with a group that knows what they are doing. The key, as always, will be better line play.

I’m very much up to speed with the changes made it n the off-season. I just find it difficult to accept that everything is rosy after last season. As for the influx of transfers, I seem to remember the excitement regarding transfers prior to last season too - how did that turn out? And yes we have a lot of incoming transfers but only 3 are proven players : Bazelak (who may or may not be the starting QB), Shivers, and Tevis. Everyone else is a crap shoot. And as for the coaches: Neither Bell or Wilt has a track record of success. If you want to fall for the pre-season rainbows and butterflies, I won’t stop you. However, I stand by my assertion that there is little reason to think we should be favored to win against Illinois.

Reactions: DANC
I’m very much up to speed with the changes made it n the off-season. I just find it difficult to accept that everything is rosy after last season. As for the influx of transfers, I seem to remember the excitement regarding transfers prior to last season too - how did that turn out? And yes we have a lot of incoming transfers but only 3 are proven players : Bazelak (who may or may not be the starting QB), Shivers, and Tevis. Everyone else is a crap shoot. And as for the coaches: Neither Bell or Wilt has a track record of success. If you want to fall for the pre-season rainbows and butterflies, I won’t stop you. However, I stand by my assertion that there is little reason to think we should be favored to win against Illinois.

You clearly don't know Anything about Wilt...

It's okay to be pessimistic but don't just make sh-t up to bolster your position...

Maybe a quick glance at his Official thumbnail bio will help you understand what gemstone in the rough we gained when we were able to convince Wilt to come here...

I read Wilts resume in the link you provided and I don’t see where he has had any success (or any experience for that matter) as a linebackers coach nor defensive coordinator. He may have potential but I stand by my assertion that he doesn’t have any track record of success for what he has been hired to do.

I read Wilts resume in the link you provided and I don’t see where he has had any success (or any experience for that matter) as a linebackers coach nor defensive coordinator. He may have potential but I stand by my assertion that he doesn’t have any track record of success for what he has been hired to do.
Huh?

Literally every place he’s been had solid defenses in the time he was at each stop. He’s consistently shown to have defensive lines that are good at getting to the QB. Nothing to dislike about that guy that I can tell.

Sigh...

You should research exactly what it is he's been hired to do this season...

Based on how the season played out last year, IU will want to make a statement bigly. This first game really is huge to reestablish momentum.

IU will be fresh with it being their first game and Illinois will be playing up in competition from a home game against Wyoming.

IU will have the lead, causing Illinois to throw against the Hoosier secondary. Hoosiers will win by more than a touchdown.

Based on how the season played out last year, IU will want to make a statement bigly. This first game really is huge to reestablish momentum.

IU will be fresh with it being their first game and Illinois will be playing up in competition from a home game against Wyoming.

IU will have the lead, causing Illinois to throw against the Hoosier secondary. Hoosiers will win by more than a touchdown.
Damn sure like the way you think. Keep it coming. I've got the popcorn already in house and the Heineken will be iced. Go HOOSIERS!!!

You seem fun.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Huh?

Literally every place he’s been had solid defenses in the time he was at each stop. He’s consistently shown to have defensive lines that are good at getting to the QB. Nothing to dislike about that guy that I can tell.
The problem is he is not coaching the defensive line. Yes, he has had success as a d-line coach, but it is a bit naive to belive that someone who has never played or coached the LB position will step in and be a great position coach.

I already bet my mortgage that ILL would cover the 5.5 spread. Then put a tad more on Illinois to win outright. I think the line is a joke. Vegas has a better track record than me though.

I already bet my mortgage that ILL would cover the 5.5 spread. Then put a tad more on Illinois to win outright. I think the line is a joke. Vegas has a better track record than me though.
Well, good for you. You seem so proud of your selection. It must have been Illinois outstanding results over the past 10 years.

Before anybody else mortgages their house before the Illinois game don't forget the following:
Last year the Hoosiers were coming off their best season since 1967.
Because of covid the entire team was coming back and everybody had an additional year of eligibility.
The Hoosiers had one of their best recruiting classes ever.
The Hoosiers were rated top 20 in the country.
The Hoosiers lost every f****** conference game.

I know where you're coming from, and appreciate your argument, but he's going to be under the eye of one of the best defensive coaches in the country - Allen.

And Allen is going to be calling the defense. So Wilt will have a chance to learn, sort of like Wommack in his first year.

Wilt is the least of my worries about this year, but I do agree with your caution about excessive optimism about this year.

The problem is he is not coaching the defensive line. Yes, he has had success as a d-line coach, but it is a bit naive to belive that someone who has never played or coached the LB position will step in and be a great position coach.
Kind of like a basketball coach who has never coached in college and the hype is through the roof.

Kind of like a basketball coach who has never coached in college and the hype is through the roof.
…. Never coached in college … and can’t teach the pick and roll … X and TJD got that figured out

I’m confident Wilt and Randolph can get the DL and LBs to their assigned gaps …
the bigger concern is whether the OL improves TOP

The line will swing based on how well organized the Illini look hosting Wyoming the week before.

ESPN FPI says IU 66% to win https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401405061

CFN picked the Illini https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/08/illinois-vs-indiana-prediction-game-preview-lines-tv

I expect a big rebound effort, led by depth on defense, from IU to start this season on a high note.
Wilt and Randolph will tune the DL line charges to what today’s roster does best.
Competent offense will keep the door closed in the second half, by keeping the defense fresh.
Line is now down to -3. 57% (FPI) for an IU win.

Illinois had the look of a big, beefy Big 10 team,
putting a beat down on a weak looking GO5 opponent at home.
Put up 38 points with a new OC. Didn’t allow a TD on defense.
Had Wyoming put up a better fight, it would have been more impressive.
Wyoming RB Swen looked good enough to me (better than several tailbacks Lee Corso was obliged to start) … he needed much better blocking.

As Bell has been quoted by several writers talking to the OL, it all starts with the OL.
The Illini looked big enough on defense … Our OL needs to win the LOS.

For me, IUs DL/LB play will determine IUs chances.
Opportunities created to get off the field, must be exploited.
#2 is too good to allow him 25+ touches.

A lot of defensive players back that were part of IU's best two teams. Defense was good last year until after MSU game. CTA back calling defense. Offense is the concern.

IU offense being able to consistently drive down the field and put up points is what concerns me the most. Can they run the ball effectively, minimize penalties, and hit open receivers on time...hopefully they can. It would be very refreshing to see Connor Bazelak hitting DJ Matthews, Cam Camper, and Emery Simmons over the middle and down the sidelines. It takes all 11 guys to be clicking in order to beat a B1G opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT