ADVERTISEMENT

Big win tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
I got Carina solar passed in the city of Columbus with a vote of 3-2 by the BZA. LETS go!!!!!!!!!! Big day for me ladies and gents!

Hoosiers might have had better odds of going to the final four this year than me getting this passed.

So how did we play? Winning the b10 tourney or what???

I got Carina solar passed in the city of Columbus with a vote of 3-2 by the BZA. LETS go!!!!!!!!!! Big day for me ladies and gents!

Hoosiers might have had better odds of going to the final four this year than me getting this passed.

Congrats Cav. It shows your hard work pays off. It looked like a big win for Indiana tonight, but I fear it only makes the future that much harder to take as an IU fan.

Congrats, hard work pays off!

Reactions: Cavanagh

Congrats Cav.

i have watched your deals in the past why does say they voted against you. Did they print bs.

Reactions: Zeke7

Congrats Man! Happy for you!

i have watched your deals in the past why does say they voted against you. Did they print bs.

The article you posted is about the Bartholomew County meeting. There was also a city meeting for a smaller development within the City's jurisdiction which apparently passed.

Read the 6th paragraph of the article you posted, and/or read the article and Cav's post more closely.

Did you pad any pockets with “NIL” money?

Reactions: kkott

That was the county portion, the city portion, or about 800 acres, got approved last night.

Reactions: UncleMark
That was the county portion, the city portion, or about 800 acres, got approved last night.
Good work.

I don't know CBS/Bar politics much but I suspect that might be an old boy's network to navigate unless you have the support of one of the Pence boys.

Go back after the county portion in a year.

Our community is throwing a shit fit over solar panel fields. Bad deal for the community great for the farmer.

Our community is throwing a shit fit over solar panel fields. Bad deal for the community great for the farmer.
I would have expected nothing else from your thinking :). Surprised I didn’t hear you speak against it last night!

Congrats fellow road warrior!

maxresdefault_(40).jpg

Great news! Give a bunch of money to IU and get a building named after you. It was good for John Camp Cougar Melon.

Bsmitty08, if you believe it is a great deal for the farmer, then you probably haven't dug too deep into the solar industry and its impact on farm ground/rural communities. Most farmers are against it from an environmental/practical standpoint. Many farmers lawyers are against the business side of it. The debate has cut deep into a lot of communities ending longstanding friendships.

Man people are getting tired of big energy bills. They can fix it easier than they think.
Except the solar panels are not housing the power in the community they are in. One farmer stood up in our meeting and said you got to be a special kind of stupid to put Solar panels on some of the most fertile dirt in North America and ship the power to Chicago.

Bsmitty08, if you believe it is a great deal for the farmer, then you probably haven't dug too deep into the solar industry and its impact on farm ground/rural communities. Most farmers are against it from an environmental/practical standpoint. Many farmers lawyers are against the business side of it. The debate has cut deep into a lot of communities ending longstanding friendships.
Oh no doubt…it’s a good deal to those land owners who are getting $1,800 an acre for it. That’s who is benefitting

Thank you. Good post from someone who obviously knows something about the subject.

Except the solar panels are not housing the power in the community they are in. One farmer stood up in our meeting and said you got to be a special kind of stupid to put Solar panels on some of the most fertile dirt in North America and ship the power to Chicago.
It’s made to pair with natural gas. You can spin up a gas steam turbine in an hour. You can’t do that with coal. When you make excess power which every power company does you sell it on the national market. You don’t think Indiana sells power to other grids? We buy (and sell)our power on the open market(you can too). You think building more homes on fertile ground is good too? More junky track homes that people buy because there isn’t any options. Crappy built too.

It’s made to pair with natural gas. You can spin up a gas steam turbine in an hour. You can’t do that with coal. When you make excess power which every power company does you sell it on the national market. You don’t think Indiana sells power to other grids? We buy (and sell)our power on the open market(you can too). You think building more homes on fertile ground is good too? More junky track homes that people buy because there isn’t any options. Crappy built too.
Yes that was shot down and county wanted to zone for housing. This land is about 2,700 acres of panels and a lot of people are impacted because their back yard is now solar panels. Ability to sell home because of this is a major concern of the impacted home owners. It’s a huge shit fest on our community. It will be interesting to see what happens. Law suits starting to fly, petitions to the state. It’s bad.
Also central Indiana has panels, wind turbines everywhere and Duke just announced an 8% increase which is actually about 20% on everyone’s bills. Very odd

Yes that was shot down and county wanted to zone for housing. This land is about 2,700 acres of panels and a lot of people are impacted because their back yard is now solar panels. Ability to sell home because of this is a major concern of the impacted home owners. It’s a huge shit fest on our community. It will be interesting to see what happens. Law suits starting to fly, petitions to the state. It’s bad.
Also central Indiana has panels, wind turbines everywhere and Duke just announced an 8% increase which is actually about 20% on everyone’s bills. Very odd
The real problem is the state lets the power companies do whatever they want. I saw them give Centerpoint more than they asked. Twice. They will continue to invest in wind and solar but try to keep you from doing the same. Duke and Centerpoint are awful energy companies.

The real problem is the state lets the power companies do whatever they want. I saw them give Centerpoint more than they asked. Twice. They will continue to invest in wind and solar but try to keep you from doing the same. Duke and Centerpoint are awful energy companies.
I went to our meeting just as a land owner. We have land we cash rent out by the new panels but we are considered to wet to put panels on. Home owners are the ones pissed and neighboring farmers

Last edited:
I went to our meeting just as a land owner. We have land we cash rent out by the new panels but we are considered to wet to out panels on. Home owners are the ones pissed and neighboring farmers
They don’t want individuals putting panels on.

Disagree, great deal for the landowner, bad deal for the farmer. Most farmers own a small percentage of what they farm, the majority of acres are either cash rented or rented on a share basis. I'm a retired farmer, my son still farms. He lost almost 400 acres of rented ground this year to a solar farm. You just don't go out & replace those acres. In that particular county there is 8-9,000 acres of prime farm ground proposed to go into solar farms in the next 5 years. If this trend continues across the country it won't be long before we'll be importing our food from foreign countries. If you think food bills are high now, just wait

Disagree, great deal for the landowner, bad deal for the farmer. Most farmers own a small percentage of what they farm, the majority of acres are either cash rented or rented on a share basis. I'm a retired farmer, my son still farms. He lost almost 400 acres of rented ground this year to a solar farm. You just don't go out & replace those acres. In that particular county there is 8-9,000 acres of prime farm ground proposed to go into solar farms in the next 5 years. If this trend continues across the country it won't be long before we'll be importing our food from foreign countries. If you think food bills are high now, just wait
Luckily in Indiana 1/2 the corn goes to ethanol, and there is absolutely no demand for corn or soybeans. That’s why prices are so low, and many farmers can’t survive where the prices are.

Supply and demand. Take acres off the market price of corn goes up, better for the farmers.

When the solar panels, which most are made in China, continue to take up prime farmland and we won't be able to feed our people then what? It's a dumb idea and we continue to make China richer! The Farmers don't like it either, only the people who own the ground and leases it to the farmer! Most big farmers lease more land than they own but now the land owners not the farmer can make more from the solar panels!

Luckily in Indiana 1/2 the corn goes to ethanol, and there is absolutely no demand for corn or soybeans. That’s why prices are so low, and many farmers can’t survive where the prices are.

Supply and demand. Take acres off the market price of corn goes up, better for the farmers.
lol you are so wrong. No demand? You realize it’s a world market that has ups and downs like all markets right? I work for one of the largest seed companies in the country.

Absolutely no demand for corn or beans ! This is a dumb statement! There will always be a demand for corn and beans ! The price fluctuates because the weather has good and bad growing seasons in different states which affects the harvest and that affects the prices !

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I do not know of a farmer recently who has went belly up in my area. Prices are soft right now, but those are the ebbs and flows. Solar will not take enough acres to influence the markets. 1 widespread rain in July in the cornbelt would offset that. On the list of market movers in grain commodities solar taking land is way down the list. Bsmitty do you mind me asking who you work for and what area of the state?

Reactions: bsmitty08
I do not know of a farmer recently who has went belly up in my area. Prices are soft right now, but those are the ebbs and flows. Solar will not take enough acres to influence the markets. 1 widespread rain in July in the cornbelt would offset that. On the list of market movers in grain commodities solar taking land is way down the list. Bsmitty do you mind me asking who you work for and what area of the state?
Well you could probably guess if we are top 3 ;)
Also for my role I cover a region of sales/marketing in central Indiana

Farm w my dad on top of teaching in Union County. Always cringe on here when people associate all farmers as being Purdue fans. Lots of IU fans who farm in our area.

• Love
When the solar panels, which most are made in China, continue to take up prime farmland and we won't be able to feed our people then what? It's a dumb idea and we continue to make China richer! The Farmers don't like it either, only the people who own the ground and leases it to the farmer! Most big farmers lease more land than they own but now the land owners not the farmer can make more from the solar panels!
There is an 800 million dollar facility that got approved and will be online by 2025 manufacturing the panels in Jeffersonville IN. You don’t wanna come in to this octagon with me. I have heard every single one of the arguments. I’m gonna lock this now. But we can talk on the off topic forum about it till you bend the knee.

Farm w my dad on top of teaching in Union County. Always cringe on here when people associate all farmers as being Purdue fans. Lots of IU fans who farm in our area.
That’s my in with half of the farmers. We talk about how much IU sucks and we hate our lives! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT