ADVERTISEMENT

Deboer to Bama?

Saban is the goat. I’ll never argue that. But Urban bolted and we never got to see a true head to head with those 2. It would’ve been fascinating. Didn’t they win like 6/8 or something nattys between Florida, Bama, and OSU in a stretch?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Never follow a legend.
To elaborate on your point, look at how much trouble Notre Dame had finding a Coach to succeed Ara Parseghian, Nebraska had replacing Tom Osborne, and how much trouble Alabama had after the departure of Bear Bryant. Once the Bar is set that high, fans are spoiled and expect nothing less than the legend accomplished. On the basketball side look at UCLA following John Wooden, and our efforts to find a worthy successor to Bob knight which many fans still feel We have not accomplished over 20 years later.

Your point is proven. Don't be the guy Who immediately succeeds the Legend.

To elaborate on your point, look at how much trouble Notre Dame had finding a Coach to succeed Ara Parseghian, Nebraska had replacing Tom Osborne, and how much trouble Alabama had after the departure of Bear Bryant. Once the Bar is set that high, fans are spoiled and expect nothing less than the legend accomplished. On the basketball side look at UCLA following John Wooden, and our efforts to find a worthy successor to Bob knight which many fans still feel We have not accomplished over 20 years later.

Your point is proven. Don't be the guy Who immediately succeeds the Legend.
I think in nearly all the cases, it's the support side. Schools who feel it's their brand bringing in the players. Has nothing else to do with following a legend. In most of those cases above you didn't want to follow the guy after the legend either. Or even the next guy.

Programs needed a sustained downturn. Definitely Indiana after Bob Knight did, we're still going thru it and there seems to be a "hey just being Indiana isn't enough' awakening maybe, 25 years later.

I think Alabama has a recent enough memory of the crap Dubose-Franchione-Shula run to know something about this. Besides, none of the schools mentioned hired a DeBoer level guy. We sure never did in basketball. Alabama did. They'll be fine.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think in nearly all the cases, it's the support side. Schools who feel it's their brand bringing in the players. Has nothing else to do with following a legend. In most of those cases above you didn't want to follow the guy after the legend either. Or even the next guy.

Programs needed a sustained downturn. Definitely Indiana after Bob Knight did, we're still going thru it and there seems to be a "hey just being Indiana isn't enough' awakening maybe, 25 years later.

I think Alabama has a recent enough memory of the crap Dubose-Franchione-Shula run to know something about this. Besides, none of the schools mentioned hired a DeBoer level guy. We sure never did in basketball. Alabama did. They'll be fine.
DeBoer and Alabama's biggest problem will be replacing the also retiring DC Steele, along with finding a guy the caliber of the DB's coach who just bolted to Georgia... He won't be able to just outscore everyone in the SEC, he'll have to find a way to play top five D too...

You have to wonder if DeBoer won't have the same type of struggle that Allen did when trying to hire outside his area of expertise and the level of guys he's familiar with on the Defensive side of the ball...

Money talks though... If I were Georgia Tech I'd be getting my new D.C. and DL Coaches (from Duke) signed on the bottom line with a monster buy outs in their contract ASAP...

I understand your point, but If you represent 4 top=flight coaches, you have to present them to the Alabama AD as equally desirable candidates. If you represent one, you are touting your client as the one and only best candidate and explaining why he is more desirable than the others. You might even push him as a candidate when he is not initially considered.
Fair argument
DeBoer and Alabama's biggest problem will be replacing the also retiring DC Steele, along with finding a guy the caliber of the DB's coach who just bolted to Georgia... He won't be able to just outscore everyone in the SEC, he'll have to find a way to play top five D too...

You have to wonder if DeBoer won't have the same type of struggle that Allen did when trying to hire outside his area of expertise and the level of guys he's familiar with on the Defensive side of the ball...

Money talks though... If I were Georgia Tech I'd be getting my new D.C. and DL Coaches (from Duke) signed on the bottom line with a monster buy outs in their contract ASAP...
part of me wonders if he tries to convince Womack to take one step back in order to take two steps forward. His pay at South Alabama is less than what plenty of assistants make, and he could see a coordinator position at Alabama as the easier path to a power five job.

Fair argument

part of me wonders if he tries to convince Womack to take one step back in order to take two steps forward. His pay at South Alabama is less than what plenty of assistants make, and he could see a coordinator position at Alabama as the easier path to a power five job.
It would be an interesting move but based on an article I read about a month ago it sounds like Womack is not only heavily invested in the football team but also the community. Sounded like he's there for the long haul...

well, they've been turned down by at least 3 people now.

The job is a really good one, but it's not much better of a job than LSU, Georgia, Florida or Tennessee and that's just in the SEC. It's not the school that has made them uber successful, it's the coach...and he's leaving.
Deboer is an Uber coach too. It is the reason Alabama hired him as others turned Alabama down.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT