ADVERTISEMENT

Is this Archie's "destination" job?

IuGrad94

Newcomer
Mar 25, 2017
I was so happy on that March day, when Archie was named head coach at IU. I think he's an amazing coach.
But is this gig Archie's "dream" job? Is he truly ECSTATIC to be here?

Something just keeps telling me that had Ohio State let go of Matta before we let go of Crean, Archie would have been MORE personally fulfilled coaching OSU. I think he has strong emotions for that school.

What if both jobs became available at the same exact moment? I really feel he would have chosen the Buckeyes over our Hoosiers.
Does anybody get any sense that he still wants to be at OSU?

Again, I'm so glad we have him and I think great things are in store for IU with Archie leading the way. I guess I just feel like we weren't his #1 choice. Like someone marrying a great girl, but always wondering "what about that other babe that I nearly bagged and liked better..."

By the way, this post has NOTHING to do with our 1-2 start to the season. I would have asked the same question if we were 3-0. In fact, I could have asked it in the Spring, but just didn't get around to it.
Thanks.

If I could make 3 million a year to coach basketball and play fewer than 40 games I would consider that a dream job. Especially if the school had a great tradition and fanatical support.

I was so happy on that March day, when Archie was named head coach at IU. I think he's an amazing coach.

Something just keeps telling me that had Ohio State let go of Matta before we let go of Crean, Archie would have been MORE personally fulfilled coaching OSU. I think he has strong emotions for that school.

What if both jobs became available at the same exact moment? I really feel he would have chosen the Buckeyes over our Hoosiers.

Again, I'm so glad we have him and I think great things are in store for IU with Archie leading the way. I guess I just feel like we weren't his #1 choice. Like someone marrying a great girl, but always wondering "what about that other babe that I nearly bagged and liked better..."

By the way, this post has NOTHING to do with our 1-2 start to the season. I would have asked the same question if we were 3-0. In fact, I could have asked it in the Spring, but just didn't get around to it.
Thanks.
Why would Ohio State be his dream job? He’s from Pennsylvania and played ball at NC St. It would make more sense that Pitt or NC St. would be his dream job.

Reactions: 76-1 and Pryght

Thanks.
If one of the big boys called, I’m sure he would be interested and would jump at the chance. Unless and until that happens, IU will be his dream job.

Reactions: Kentucky31

Thanks.

I have it on good authority, this is not his dream job. He aspires to return home to his parents house and live in their basement. Once there, he will dedicate his time to beating the piss out of bull-frogs in the retention pond across the street to keep it from drying up....

McHoop

Was Indiana Bob Knight's "dream job"? Wouldn't OSU have been it for him?

If Archie does a great job and wins big, my guess is that the only "dream job" we'd have to worry about is the NBA.

Reactions: ulrey and 76-1
A dream job is wherever you enjoy what you do, paid well for it, and recognized for doing a great job. Archie cam coach. We have great facilities, and he is paid well. He will get there. I didn't hear him guarantee anything for this year. He knew this was a going to be a rough year and so did Crean.

I would get behind this coach and give him more than 3 games to build the program he wants.

Reactions: 76-1

Thanks.

Crap, do you also worry about a giant meteor striking the earth or a mutant influenza outbreak? This is how life works, and if you're smart you make the best of it. I never envisioned being in the commercial electronic security field (wasn't pro athlete or rock star everyone's dream job?), but I've made a great career of it and love it. Archie's a smart guy and is being paid handsomely (more than the OSU coach I believe) in a premier position. This job is what he makes of it; and if he begins to realize it's potential, it will be his dream job.

Reactions: 76-1
Crap, do you also worry about a giant meteor striking the earth or a mutant influenza outbreak? This is how life works, and if you're smart you make the best of it. I never envisioned being in the commercial electronic security field (wasn't pro athlete or rock star everyone's dream job?), but I've made a great career of it and love it. Archie's a smart guy and is being paid handsomely (more than the OSU coach I believe) in a premier position. This job is what he makes of it; and if he begins to realize it's potential, it will be his dream job.
Tell me more about this giant meteor. That might be more important than IU basketball.

You can be sure that if PU is ever going to play for a NCAA title, a giant meteor will hit the day before.

Reactions: 76-1 and kkott

Thanks.
This is dumb, for a number reasons.

You realize he’s not from Ohio, right?

Thanks.

You'll be surprised to find out that Archie Miller's "dream" job is actually Iowa St. I know, I know.....I was surprised when I found this out too.

Now that we know this, I have a question for you: what will Archie do if the Iowa St job ever opens up? I tell you, that is what keeps me up late at night in a cold sweat.

If one of the big boys called, I’m sure he would be interested and would jump at the chance. Unless and until that happens, IU will be his dream job.
The way I see it, the BIG BOYS called him and Archie said YES. The rest will be history in the making as one of the greatest turn arounds in IU basketball.

Reactions: 76-1 and hondo314

Thanks.
I believe he wanted the Buckeyes also! Is IU is dream gig? I don't
think so especially, if you have no history of recruiting five star players
which is what he will need at IU, he is no Greg Marshall.

Thanks.

This may well be his destination job (think Peter Principle) if we don't improve.
So far, not impressed, unless I've underestimated how badly CTC ruined those who played under him.

yup, that's why he has assistants. he talked about this being a big deal job. sure, could have all been fluff but i think we tend to underestimate the value of a fan base that gives a crap about basketball.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Oh.My.Effing.God.

Are we seriously having these discussions 3 *bleep*ing games into his first season?

Seriously? This is what you want to discuss?

Is the season over? Should we go ahead and chalk up his IU coaching career?

Let’s just go ahead and start the new search. This whole Archie thing just isn’t going as planned.

This may well be his destination job (think Peter Principle) if we don't improve.
So far, not impressed, unless I've underestimated how badly CTC ruined those who played under him.
I'm very impressed with Archie Miller. Being a graduate of Indiana back in the year we went undefeated...being a University of Wisconsin graduate and having to sit and watch UW handle IU in both football and basketball (think B1G on the road in conference play)...and now a long-time resident and fan of University of Dayton...Archie Miller is golden. IU got lucky getting him.

Did you know that Archie Miller was the hottest younger prospect out there that would fit IU when Glass tapped him? Did you know that tOSU put feelers out when Matta left and before their current coach was offered. They had people approach Miller and Miller allegedly declined. Check the link:

https://factoryofsadness.co/2017/06/10/ohio-state-called-archie-miller-coaching-job/

Archie Miller came in as a no nonsense, straight shooter. He is building bridges to HS coaches and recruits in Indiana. He is a smart X's and O's guy. He develops the whole team. He won't get every 5* out there. IU will get IU's share.

Sure, it was possible to win our first two games. But I doubt if the turnovers are Archie's fault. I doubt if missed free throws are his fault. But, as head coach, the buck stops right there.

CTC clearly did not get the most out of his players. I won't say that they are ruined. They also have a responsibility to hustle and to play smart. But, CTC did not encourage some things that are basic fundamental basketball...in my opinion.

During games I look for improvement and how, long-term, IU will be more competitive overall. Sure would be nice to win some too. But winning may just be taking a back seat to teaching.

Last edited:
We’ve played 3 games.

This board is seriously the equivalent of the barbershop on Hoosiers. It’s 24/7 nonsense.

Because Gregg Marshall is known for recruiting five star players? Gregg Marshall has also been coaching a lot longer than Archie Miller has.

When Archie gets this program going, IU will be a place that he doesn't want to leave. It's a good town to raise a family. The in-state recruiting will bear him many fruits. I'm sure OSU would've been a job he would have taken as well but Holtman is there and he's very good too and probably the guy there for many years.

When Archie gets this program going, IU will be a place that he doesn't want to leave. It's a good town to raise a family. The in-state recruiting will bear him many fruits. I'm sure OSU would've been a job he would have taken as well but Holtman is there and he's very good too and probably the guy there for many years.
Professionally, I can't imagine a better gig, assuming the support from the University is there. But if there are other, more personal reasons one might look elsewhere -- big city preference, climate, closer to family, etc. -- there's not much that can be done about that. The best thing that can happen is for him to succeed to the point that he can't imagine being able to equal his success anywhere else.

There isn’t a ceiling for Indiana basketball, and there aren’t many jobs in college basketball that can offer that. The potential seems like an important factor for a 38 year old guy. It’s frustrating to settle into another rebuild, but I think the results will be much better this time.

Last edited:
I'm very impressed with Archie Miller. Being a graduate of Indiana back in the year we went undefeated...being a University of Wisconsin graduate and having to sit and watch UW handle IU in both football and basketball (think B1G on the road in conference play)...and now a long-time resident and fan of University of Dayton...Archie Miller is golden. IU got lucky getting him.

Did you know that Archie Miller was the hottest younger prospect out there that would fit IU when Glass tapped him? Did you know that tOSU put feelers out when Matta left and before their current coach was offered. They had people approach Miller and Miller allegedly declined. Check the link:

https://factoryofsadness.co/2017/06/10/ohio-state-called-archie-miller-coaching-job/

Archie Miller came in as a no nonsense, straight shooter. He is building bridges to HS coaches and recruits in Indiana. He is a smart X's and O's guy. He develops the whole team. He won't get every 5* out there. IU will get IU's share.

Sure, it was possible to win our first two games. But I doubt if the turnovers are Archie's fault. I doubt if missed free throws are his fault. But, as head coach, the buck stops right there.

CTC clearly did not get the most out of his players. I won't say that they are ruined. They also have a responsibility to hustle and to play smart. But, CTC did not encourage some things that are basic fundamental basketball...in my opinion.

During games I look for improvement and how, long-term, IU will be more competitive overall. Sure would be nice to win some too. But winning may just be taking a back seat to teaching.

I wish everything you allege would be true, but realistically we were all talking the Big Dance at seasons end and how we were underated by all the gurus just 10 days ago. You still think that's the case?

Yes, I "knew he was the hottest coach out there", per Glass whatever that is supposed to mean! But you are completely wrong about the OSU feelers (l'm close to a member of their board)
There is no lack of talented kids on the team, perhaps a little thin up front, so I suggest the euphoria has been very premature.
I graduated in '76 too. So what does that have to do with much of anything? It was an entirely different game back then, no shot clock, no penalty for playing defense, less athletic kids, and the players shorts were shorter too!
He seems like a sensible and no nonsense guy, but I'll wait before I conclude he's the second coming

Thanks.

Why would he have a "strong emotion" for OSU? He coached there for a bit. He didn't play there, he did grew up around there... why the feeling? I take Archie for his word... he was waiting for a major gig, Indiana came calling, he took it. I don't think he was longing for OSU or any particular school.

I wish everything you allege would be true, but realistically we were all talking the Big Dance at seasons end and how we were underated by all the gurus just 10 days ago. You still think that's the case?

Yes, I "knew he was the hottest coach out there", per Glass whatever that is supposed to mean! But you are completely wrong about the OSU feelers (l'm close to a member of their board)
There is no lack of talented kids on the team, perhaps a little thin up front, so I suggest the euphoria has been very premature.
I graduated in '76 too. So what does that have to do with much of anything? It was an entirely different game back then, no shot clock, no penalty for playing defense, less athletic kids, and the players shorts were shorter too!
He seems like a sensible and no nonsense guy, but I'll wait before I conclude he's the second coming
Before the season started, and still, I say there is a chance that IU makes it into the NCAAT. Not much of one.
I didn't say that Archie Miller was one of the hottest coaches per Glass. I said that he was one of the hottest coaches when Glass tapped him. Makes me wonder why someone would go in different directions claiming that is what I wrote.

Makes me wonder why be so negative and flippant? Puts in question a lot of what is written by that poster.

Thanks.
Ummmm. Grad? Here i something to think about: If, by "destination job" you mean the last school at which he will coach, then IU has not been a destination job for any coach since Lou Watson, who coached from the 1965-66 season until the 1968-69 season and again for the 1970-71 season?
Tom Crean may fall into the "destination job" category -- that is yet to be seen.

Reactions: travlinhoosier

Thanks.
How 'bout the job you always thought that you could and would get eventually, compared to the job that you never dreamed you could get....

How 'bout the job you always thought that you could and would get eventually, compared to the job that you never dreamed you could get....
I have no idea what his hopes and dreams have been. But, I think he viewed it as a step up from Dayton -- of which he clearly thinks highly.
I really do think this: If some dream fairy whispered in his ear that if he took the Indiana job, he'd be here for 25 years and would win five national championships along the way, I'll bet he'd be thrilled to retire from IU.
(But, given those circumstances, who wouldn't?)

This whole thread reminds me that we are not the smartest collective group of fans, as many have tried to imply over the years. We are just a bunch of hilljack dumb*ss Hoosiers.
Hey! Be careful, there! Those are my people you're talking about, there. Talking about correctly but, talking about, nonetheless!
Do you suppose Hahvahd fans are too smart to post on message boards?

Mutant influenza outbreak....again? Should I call Geico to take advantage of their savings while I still can? (cough, cough).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT