ADVERTISEMENT

After 57 years of support, I give up

Rotonda

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2014
Rotonda, Florida
In July I bought 7 tickets to the IU/OSU game for my family. My stepson lives in Columbus. He has 3 kids from 10 to 17. My step kids are eager to go as is my daughter in law. They all love Ohio State.The tickets are in nose bleed territory and cost almost $150 each with the service charge. So when we add the flights from Florida and the spending money on the grandkids, it will be a very costly week. I now totally understand how bad IU football is, so yes, I am kicking myself for believing that this might be our year.I have decided that this will be the last IU game I will ever see. And as I looked on TV at all the empty seats in Memorial Stadium today, I think many others have also given up. I would not fire Tom Allen because it doesn't matter, but he should just quit for his own mental health.. What a horrible team. I have supported them for 53 years and they have never paid me back.

In July I bought 7 tickets to the IU/OSU game for my family. My stepson lives in Columbus. He has 3 kids from 10 to 17. My step kids are eager to go as is my daughter in law. They all love Ohio State.The tickets are in nose bleed territory and cost almost $150 each with the service charge. So when we add the flights from Florida and the spending money on the grandkids, it will be a very costly week. I now totally understand how bad IU football is, so yes, I am kicking myself for believing that this might be our year.I have decided that this will be the last IU game I will ever see. And as I looked on TV at all the empty seats in Memorial Stadium today, I think many others have also given up. I would not fire Tom Allen because it doesn't matter, but he should just quit for his own mental health.. What a horrible team. I have supported them for 53 years and they have never paid me back.
Embrace the misery

Reactions: ulrey
That’s pretty strong, coming from you.

When you’ve been going to games since the early 60s - Phil Dickens, John Pont, “Punt, John, punt!” - and, with the few exceptions of 1967 and beating OSU in 1987 and 1988, it’s almost always been this type of crap.

You really just learn to let it roll off your back and not let it beat you down.

I think last season was the most disappointing IU football season I have witnessed. IU had a winning BT record in 2019 and lost 1 BT game in 2020 and was ranked top 10 at one point. I thought IU had finally turned some kind of a corner and TA had created a competent IU football program. Instead, IU lost every BT game and put forth arguably the worst college football offense I have ever witnessed. This year isn't any better. It is tough to see Penix and DeBoer go elsewhere and find success.

In general, life in the Big Ten is not easy. Ohio St., Michigan, and Penn St. are just at a different level: they get the best coaches and the best players, and they have tradition. Programs like Sparty, Iowa, and Wisconsin have established a lesser level of success. It is just a flat out grind, and the BT has not been kind to IU football.

TA's undoing has been his total lack of knowledge about the offensive side of the ball. Hiller and the OL have been an absolute killer the past couple of years. The offense is just a mess.

I'm sorry but STFU, none of us including myself are happy with the state of this program, it's bad even by the low standards of Indiana, I think Allen needs to be fired at the end of the year and I'm sure I'm not alone.

But there's absolutely no way you've been a "dedicated fan for 52 years" and this is your breaking point, I'm not the oldest person on this board, but Ik enough about IUFB to know there have been far darker days in this program's history than the one we're currently in, if this was your standard, you would've given up being a fan of IUFB decades ago.

If you want to hang up your IUFB fan hat, that's fine, but you're not getting any pity from the people on this board, no one cares. Please don't come back if this program ever finds success.

Is this a joke? lol

Reactions: jlasson
I will say, this regime feels like the absolute nut kick because of where we were. To be average, which is what we were when TA arrived, to good, to the absolute doormat all in the span of 6 years sucks!!!

Most of these regimes start in the basement. Allen didn’t. We were a back to back bowl team when he got the job.

I'm sorry but STFU, none of us including myself are happy with the state of this program, it's bad even by the low standards of Indiana, I think Allen needs to be fired at the end of the year and I'm sure I'm not alone.

But there's absolutely no way you've been a "dedicated fan for 52 years" and this is your breaking point, I'm not the oldest person on this board, but Ik enough about IUFB to know there have been far darker days in this program's history than the one we're currently in, if this was your standard, you would've given up being a fan of IUFB decades ago.

If you want to hang up your IUFB fan hat, that's fine, but you're not getting any pity from the people on this board, no one cares. Please don't come back if this program ever finds success.
I was in the class of 69 and went to all the home games including the 67 Punt John Punt team. I graduated and moved to Cleveland but still came to Bloomington almost every year for homecoming. I doubt if I saw 5 wins
I moved to Florida in 2000 and continued my pilgrimage missing only two years. So please don't question my loyalty. My hope for a better team and more victories was there until this year's total debacle.

I was in the class of 69 and went to all the home games including the 67 Punt John Punt team. I graduated and moved to Cleveland but still came to Bloomington almost every year for homecoming. I doubt if I saw 5 wins
I moved to Florida in 2000 and continued my pilgrimage missing only two years. So please don't question my loyalty. My hope for a better team and more victories was there until this year's total debacle.
If you've sat through this program's performance in the 80s, 2000s and early 2010s, AND this is your breaking point, your brain needs some rewiring because you should've been gone decades ago.

Either way, no one cares, happy trails and good luck finding a better program. Since you clearly only care about on field success, I'd recommend that school in Tuscaloosa, I heard they're pretty good at this whole football thing.

Uh…aren’t we all? Are you rooting for APR scores?
Did you not understand the context behind that, ofc I care about on field success, but I'm not going to "give up on being a fan of Indiana" because they aren't successful on the field at the present moment. Indiana is my team for better or worse, sure I may tune out a little more during times like these, but I won't "completely give up on this program, blah blah blah" because they suck right now. If that were my mantra, I would just be a Bama or OSU fan, they're far more successful.

If you've sat through this program's performance in the 80s, 2000s and early 2010s, AND this is your breaking point, your brain needs some rewiring because you should've been gone decades ago.

Either way, no one cares, happy trails and good luck finding a better program. Since you clearly only care about on field success, I'd recommend that school in Tuscaloosa, I heard they're pretty good at this whole football thing.
All I want is to enjoy a fair competition with a good chance of victory. Is that asking for too much?

All I want is to enjoy a fair competition with a good chance of victory. Is that asking for too much?
A good chance for victory against who? OSU, UM and PSU will never happen, it's an unfair game, this isn't the NFL where each team has a similar amount of money, there's a salary cap and a draft where the worst teams get the best players the next year. The haves generally get richer, the have nots generally get poorer and it takes miracles to turn around that momentum.

That's not to say you should be happy or satisfied with what we saw today, but your expectation should never be that Indiana will consistently fight for a Big Ten title in FB, if that's what you are expecting, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I started in the fall of 65. jlasson can talk to me in 2070.
Congrats, Idc how old you are, all that matters to me is your opinions, if they're logical and bring a different POV then great, but I'm not going to get lectured by a whiny alum about how they can't watch IUFB anymore because they've hit a new low, that's simply untrue. Historically they're not a good program, their peaks are low and their valleys are really low, if you or rotanda can't accept that, then don't watch.

My expectation is 6 wins. That doesn’t seem that hard, even for Indiana. We’re lightyears from that right now.
Exactly, this is or should be the realistic expectation, Allen deserves to be fired because the program is not meeting expectations or even coming close to meeting expectations in back to back years, and he's been in charge for six years, but the drama from people acting like Indiana Football has never been this bad is laughable.

Prior to the game, I found myself with near tears in my eyes, gritting my teeth, pounding my fists, begging these guys silently to show up and be competitive. Decided to sit in The Knothole Club again, for old times sake.

It didn’t help.

Congrats, Idc how old you are, all that matters to me is your opinions, if they're logical and bring a different POV then great, but I'm not going to get lectured by a whiny alum about how they can't watch IUFB anymore because they've hit a new low, that's simply untrue. Historically they're not a good program, their peaks are low and their valleys are really low, if you or rotanda can't accept that, then don't watch.
My opinion is I vote with my dollars. I don't need some rookie telling me what I should expect from Indiana Football.

My opinion is I vote with my dollars. I don't need some rookie telling me what I should expect from Indiana Football.
Lol vote with your dollars? Did I ever say not to vote with your dollars. I think I said don't whine about this team like Indiana Football has never seen these lows before because that's OBVIOUSLY not true, and I think I said that to Rotanda not you, but Ig it also applies to you. IDGAF what you do with your dollars, but I wouldn't blame you on not spending the on IUFB tickets next year, that's on par with what normally happens when IUFB hits these lows.

I think that's what they are saying, essentially. They aren't going to watch anymore. I don't blame them. I'm finished with going to games, watching on tv, or donating to the varsity club until something happens to convince me this disaster of a football program can be turned around. It makes me miserable to be emotionally invested in IU football at the moment and I don't see things improving anytime soon.

Lol vote with your dollars? Did I ever say not to vote with your dollars. I think I said don't whine about this team like Indiana Football has never seen these lows before because that's OBVIOUSLY not true, and I think I said that to Rotanda not you, but Ig it also applies to you. IDGAF what you do with your dollars, but I wouldn't blame you on not spending the on IUFB tickets next year, that's on par with what normally happens when IUFB hits these lows.
Really. How would you know? How many sacks does it take. How many years have you seen?

Exactly, this is or should be the realistic expectation, Allen deserves to be fired because the program is not meeting expectations or even coming close to meeting expectations in back to back years, and he's been in charge for six years, but the drama from people acting like Indiana Football has never been this bad is laughable.
You ain’t the arbiter of football good and bad On this board or in this program.

The man put in his time. He’s entitled to his opinion, and your attempt to make YOURS the only that counts sucos.

STFU and stop being an asshole.

You ain’t the arbiter of football good and bad On this board or in this program.

The man put in his time. He’s entitled to his opinion, and your attempt to make YOURS the only that counts sucos.

STFU and stop being an asshole.
The sky is not falling Chicken Little, if this fan or anyone else expects Indiana(losingest program in CFB, and 123rd out of 131 FBS teams in win %) to be PSU, UM or OSU in FB, they're setting themselves up to be disappointed, sorry if no one wants to say it but THIS IS INDIANA FOOTBALL.

They don't have high peaks, they have very low valleys, anyone with a computer can tell you that, this guy can be done with Indiana, that's fine, but anyone that knows Indiana Football knows that that Indiana has hit these lows several times in the past 50 years(that's a fact, not an opinion) and as much as I don't want to write this, it probably won't be the last time they only win 3 games in the next 50 years.

I get why he is pissed. After two seasons with a total of 5 wins and one conference win, there is usually a new coach and some false promises that things will change. Allen isn't going anywhere unless he quits. That won't happen.

It was hard to go to the game today. I predicted a 38-7 loss but I stayed until the end. It sucks, but at the end of the day I spent another day with my son, ate a strom and a beer after the game and met some new people at the I Association tailgate. The game sucked after the first quarter but I will be back next year bitching about the team and looking forward to basketball.

Reactions: jlasson
How do I know it's been this bad at Indiana before, I have google, that's how I know.
Those of us who have followed IU football for more than a few years certainly know about the previous lows. But I have to tell you that for whatever reason ( or $25 million of them) this feels more desperate. I think most of us feel a coaching change needs to be made now, but don't have much confidence that it is going to happen for a couple of years. That makes this situation seem so much worse than the multitude of other lows.

And, those who have been in a few rodeos don't respond well to relative greenhorns lecturing them about the proper way to ride and rope. Preaching at long-suffering fellow fans is bad form.

The sky is not falling Chicken Little, if this fan or anyone else expects Indiana(losingest program in CFB, and 123rd out of 131 FBS teams in win %) to be PSU, UM or OSU in FB, they're setting themselves up to be disappointed, sorry if no one wants to say it but THIS IS INDIANA FOOTBALL.

They don't have high peaks, they have very low valleys, anyone with a computer can tell you that, this guy can be done with Indiana, that's fine, but anyone that knows Indiana Football knows that that Indiana has hit these lows several times in the past 50 years(that's a fact, not an opinion) and as much as I don't want to write this, it probably won't be the last time they only win 3 games in the next 50 years.
Your opinion is no better than his, in fact, it’s worse

You owe him an apology

Call me chicken little all you want

You don’t know shit newbie

You're a Google Boy, with ASS actually in his name

Those of us who have followed IU football for more than a few years certainly know about the previous lows. But I have to tell you that for whatever reason ( or $25 million of them) this feels more desperate. I think most of us feel a coaching change needs to be made now, but don't have much confidence that it is going to happen for a couple of years. That makes this situation seem so much worse than the multitude of other lows.

And, those who have been in a few rodeos don't respond well to relative greenhorns lecturing them about the proper way to ride and rope. Preaching at long-suffering fellow fans is bad form.
CFB is changing and there's more urgency now than there ever has been before so I wouldn't take it to the bank that they won't buyout Allen at the end of the year, but I agree I wouldn't hold my breathe either given the aforementioned mammoth of a contract and IU's historic lack of commitment to FB.

I totally get frustration, and it's not like I'm enjoying watching Tom Allen create as much momentum as this program has had in over a decade and then completely kill it in the span of two and a half seasons, but the sob story from someone saying they've been a fan for five decades and this is their breaking point, it's nonsense. If these last two seasons were a breaking point, this guy would've already given up being a fan two to three decades ago. You can be disappointed and even give up being an IU fan, but there's enough negativity around this program and on this board(and rightfully so) without people overstating how bad they are relative to other IUFB teams. I have no interest in prisoners of the moment, and it's important to point on the flawed logic within their statements.

Anyone can do what they want, but I think the OP is just flat out wrong. Not because of his opinions about the state of IU FB after their worst (in my assessment) showing of the year. He’s wrong because he’s focusing on the wrong thing.

I want to see IU win. I’d fly to Pasadena in a heartbeat if they made the Rose Bowl in my lifetime. But I don’t go to games or watch on tv for wins.

I watch for the experience. In particular today, my 8 yr old and I set up our tailgate at 9 when the lots opened. This kid sat in a hurricane and just had a ball with his parents & grandparents. He played catch with me and a bunch of absolutely wonderful college aged kids once other tailgaters finally came. He was high five-ing the women behind us into the 2nd Q when IU was playing them close.

He was very bummed that IU lost. I told him that we go for the gameday experience and as much as I’d love to see a dominant IU team, it’s a game. And at the end of the day, spending time with family on Fall Saturdays is where it’s at.

Your opinion is no better than his, in fact, it’s worse

You owe him an apology

Call me chicken little all you want

You don’t know shit newbie

You're a Google Boy, with ASS actually in his name
Stay mad clown, you bring no logic to these boards, you make blanket statements and act like everyone should listen to you because you know something we all don't. You can stay being a prisoner of the moment, but that's why no one on these boards takes your opinion or this guy's opinion seriously at all, sorry if you don't like hearing well known facts about the IU program, but they're true no matter what your expectations for this team are.

The delusion is hilarious, CFB is NOT a level playing field, GTFO it. You want IUFB to be competitive with the top of the sport, write a 50 million dollar check to put some real dollars into this program. Until then I'm sure Alabama would be glad to take you guys in if all you care about is winning no matter who you're rooting for.

Stay mad clown, you bring no logic to these boards, you make blanket statements and act like everyone should listen to you because you know something we all don't. You can stay being a prisoner of the moment, but that's why no one on these boards takes your opinion or this guy's opinion seriously at all, sorry if you don't like hearing well known facts about the IU program, but they're true no matter what your expectations for this team are.

The delusion is hilarious, CFB is NOT a level playing field, GTFO it. You want IUFB to be competitive with the top of the sport, write a 50 million dollar check to put some real dollars into this program. Until then I'm sure Alabama would be glad to take you guys in if all you care about is winning no matter who you're rooting for.
Shut up Google Boy

You know nothing about Indiana football except what you look up on the internet

I didn’t ask anybody to believe anything I said

You're the one pretending to be the expert and telling us all the “truth” about IU football and insulting guys who lived IU football since before your stupid ass was born.

you’re a pretender

That man you insulted lived it for decades

If you weren’t such a dumbass, you’d be ashamed of yourself.

PS we’re you at the game today? Or just pounding your keyboard?

Jlasson, how long have you been a fan? On this board you are currently pegged as a "'freshman". Did you attend any games back in the 1960s? My guess is no.

My guess is that you have no idea what it is like to be a long suffering Hoosier fan. So shut the **** up.

Rotondo watched decades of who's your football in a half-finished stadium. He watched numerous athletic directors make terrible personal decisions. Andy watched hundreds of games in Memorial stadium with tens of thousands of empty seats.

And then the Big ten money came and after more than 50 years Indiana finally finished the football stadium. And they got real support facilities to finally be able to position Indiana to feel competitive teams.

And now we are all having an epiphany after a couple of good seasons where everyone realizes that we are saddled with a coach who knows nothing about the offensive side of a football game. And we have an ex-basketball student manager who has saddled the university with a 25 million dollar buyout which obviously is not going to happen.

Rotondo, has seen this show before. And he's just being honest sharing his frustration and experience that says that there is no way out of this shit sandwich.

Quite a few of us have been watching this train wreck for decades. Someday when you're older you will realize that coach Allen's 2 good years were like the Bill Mallory teams in 87 and 88. But it didn't have to be this way. My guess it will take another terrible season next year and then some deep pockets will come along to bail the university out. The problem is that there is no indication that they won't make the same mistakes again and again!

LEO

to be fair, there have been a few good years in those 53

but not many :(

Anyone can do what they want, but I think the OP is just flat out wrong. Not because of his opinions about the state of IU FB after their worst (in my assessment) showing of the year. He’s wrong because he’s focusing on the wrong thing.

I want to see IU win. I’d fly to Pasadena in a heartbeat if they made the Rose Bowl in my lifetime. But I don’t go to games or watch on tv for wins.

I watch for the experience. In particular today, my 8 yr old and I set up our tailgate at 9 when the lots opened. This kid sat in a hurricane and just had a ball with his parents & grandparents. He played catch with me and a bunch of absolutely wonderful college aged kids once other tailgaters finally came. He was high five-ing the women behind us into the 2nd Q when IU was playing them close.

He was very bummed that IU lost. I told him that we go for the gameday experience and as much as I’d love to see a dominant IU team, it’s a game. And at the end of the day, spending time with family on Fall Saturdays is where it’s at.
You had a great experience today cuz you were bonding with your 8-year-old son. And that sounds like an absolutely wonderful time. But let me tell you something. Hemorrhoids are an experience. Kidney stones are an experience. These are experiences that you will not embrace. And when your son is 40 years old and you're still watching crappy Indiana football you will not embrace that experience either.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
Shut up Google Boy

You know nothing about Indiana football except what you look up on the internet

I didn’t ask anybody to believe anything I said

You're the one pretending to be the expert and telling us all the “truth” about IU football and insulting guys who lived IU football since before your stupid ass was born.

you’re a pretender

That man you insulted lived it for decades

If you weren’t such a dumbass, you’d be ashamed of yourself.
Cry me a river, I'm comfortable with my opinions enough to not lash out irrationally when someone points out that IU is historically not good at football, and in fact they are one of the worst college football programs in existence. Again, it's inarguable, and I can tell you are frustrated because you know it's a fact.

Ig all that life experience still hasn't given you the maturity of an adult. As I said, you're going to base everything you write off pure emotion w/o using any logic and that speaks volumes to your credibility when it comes to IU/CFB opinions.

You had a great experience today cuz you were bonding with your 8-year-old son. And that sounds like an absolutely wonderful time. But let me tell you something. Hemorrhoids are an experience. Kidney stones are an experience. These are experiences that you will not embrace. And when your son is 40 years old and you're still watching crappy Indiana football you will not embrace that experience either.
Possibly. Although I’ll hopefully be experiencing it with my grandkids at that point. But I get your point.

Some guy outside the bathroom was cussing CTA after some bad play. I just don’t let kids playing a game effect me like that. My football team in HS was god awful. Lost all the time. I graduated to IU fandom. And I made the mistake in my youth of falling in love with Barry Sanders and spending more sundays than I care to admit following the Lions long after Barry retired. I can handle losing and try to enjoy football game days for what it is.

Cry me a river, I'm comfortable with my opinions enough to not lash out irrationally when someone points out that IU is historically not good at football, and in fact they are one of the worst college football programs in existence. Again, it's inarguable, and I can tell you are frustrated because you know it's a fact.

Ig all that life experience still hasn't given you the maturity of an adult. As I said, you're going to base everything you write off pure emotion w/o using any logic and that speaks volumes to your credibility when it comes to IU/CFB opinions.
“I'm sorry but STFU“ - your first words in this thread

“there's absolutely no way you've been a "dedicated fan for 52 years" and this is your breaking point”

YOUR WORDS, again, but then you spoke for the board, as follows:

“If you want to hang up your IUFB fan hat, that's fine, but you're not getting any pity from the people on this board, no one cares. Please don't come back if this program ever finds success.”

All of the above are words of an ass who owes that man an apology and is now trying to change the subject.

Go away boy - you bother people.
And apologize to that man on your way out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT