ADVERTISEMENT

After 57 years of support, I give up

Jlasson, how long have you been a fan? On this board you are currently pegged as a "'freshman". Did you attend any games back in the 1960s? My guess is no.

My guess is that you have no idea what it is like to be a long suffering Hoosier fan. So shut the **** up.

Rotondo watched decades of who's your football in a half-finished stadium. He watched numerous athletic directors make terrible personal decisions. Andy watched hundreds of games in Memorial stadium with tens of thousands of empty seats.

And then the Big ten money came and after more than 50 years Indiana finally finished the football stadium. And they got real support facilities to finally be able to position Indiana to feel competitive teams.

And now we are all having an epiphany after a couple of good seasons where everyone realizes that we are saddled with a coach who knows nothing about the offensive side of a football game. And we have an ex-basketball student manager who has saddled the university with a 25 million dollar buyout which obviously is not going to happen.

Rotondo, has seen this show before. And he's just being honest sharing his frustration and experience that says that there is no way out of this shit sandwich.

Quite a few of us have been watching this train wreck for decades. Someday when you're older you will realize that coach Allen's 2 good years were like the Bill Mallory teams in 87 and 88. But it didn't have to be this way. My guess it will take another terrible season next year and then some deep pockets will come along to bail the university out. The problem is that there is no indication that they won't make the same mistakes again and again!

LEO
It's all expectations, if they were managed properly this wouldn't be an issue. Enjoy the sport, tailgate, root for your team, and go home. There's nothing out of the ordinary about this season compared to other relatively bad seasons at IU and they were worse last year so I find it hard to believe he really thought this was IU's year.

It's not my fault if it takes someone 53 years to realize that IU is not a football school, I find that VERY hard to believe as there are plenty of worse results in IUFB history, but I digress that expectations should've been lower, Idk why having seen IU suck for longer has anything to do with it.

“I'm sorry but STFU“ - your first words in this thread

“there's absolutely no way you've been a "dedicated fan for 52 years" and this is your breaking point”

YOUR WORDS, again, but then you spoke for the board, as follows:

“If you want to hang up your IUFB fan hat, that's fine, but you're not getting any pity from the people on this board, no one cares. Please don't come back if this program ever finds success.”

All of the above are words of an ass who owes that man an apology and is now trying to change the subject.

Go away boy - you bother people.
And apologize to that man on your way out.
LOL Sorry, would you like me to correct that he's not getting any pity from ME, not everyone on the board, because you seem to be oozing pity rn. Outside of that there's nothing wrong with any of those statements.

I am the one that lamented that making my boys Indiana Football fans could be child abuse. We tailgated and tossed a football. Met very nice people and saw old friends. I just expect the University to make a full commitment to the sport that is paying the bills. I suspect the problem is not in the Athletic Dept.

I am the one that lamented that making my boys Indiana Football fans could be child abuse. We tailgated and tossed a football. Met very nice people and saw old friends. I just expect the University to make a full commitment to the sport that is paying the bills. I suspect the problem is not in the Athletic Dept.

Nobody really cares that much about the FB program. I mean sure there are some diehards, but winning isn't important or even expected.... and we get what's expected. It would take some monumental run of sustained success for enough people to even start paying attention. I'm talking people with money that want to throw it around and be close to the program.

It sucks, because when college FB is good, it's REALLY good and unlike any other sport offering in the country. But I never expect there to be ever that kind of buzz around IUFB in my life.

Seems like they have made a commitment more recently....but to the wrong guy.

Reactions: kmathum
In July I bought 7 tickets to the IU/OSU game for my family. My stepson lives in Columbus. He has 3 kids from 10 to 17. My step kids are eager to go as is my daughter in law. They all love Ohio State.The tickets are in nose bleed territory and cost almost $150 each with the service charge. So when we add the flights from Florida and the spending money on the grandkids, it will be a very costly week. I now totally understand how bad IU football is, so yes, I am kicking myself for believing that this might be our year.I have decided that this will be the last IU game I will ever see. And as I looked on TV at all the empty seats in Memorial Stadium today, I think many others have also given up. I would not fire Tom Allen because it doesn't matter, but he should just quit for his own mental health.. What a horrible team. I have supported them for 53 years and they have never paid me back.
I have experienced over 300 of the 700+ & counting losses. My Dad is 96 & graduated IU in the late 40's. He has seen 450+ losses.

Bottom line: We all feel your pain..

If you've sat through this program's performance in the 80s, 2000s and early 2010s, AND this is your breaking point, your brain needs some rewiring because you should've been gone decades ago.

Either way, no one cares, happy trails and good luck finding a better program. Since you clearly only care about on field success, I'd recommend that school in Tuscaloosa, I heard they're pretty good at this whole football thing.
You are the one that needs to shut up! You sound like a judgmental jerk. The guy is frustrated and has every right to be.

Reactions: Radio Zero
LOL Sorry, would you like me to correct that he's not getting any pity from ME, not everyone on the board, because you seem to be oozing pity rn. Outside of that there's nothing wrong with any of those statements.
Stupid people always think everyone else is wrong and they are right. He feels the way he feels so STFU.

Jlasson, how long have you been a fan? On this board you are currently pegged as a "'freshman". Did you attend any games back in the 1960s? My guess is no.

My guess is that you have no idea what it is like to be a long suffering Hoosier fan. So shut the **** up.

Rotondo watched decades of who's your football in a half-finished stadium. He watched numerous athletic directors make terrible personal decisions. Andy watched hundreds of games in Memorial stadium with tens of thousands of empty seats.

And then the Big ten money came and after more than 50 years Indiana finally finished the football stadium. And they got real support facilities to finally be able to position Indiana to feel competitive teams.

And now we are all having an epiphany after a couple of good seasons where everyone realizes that we are saddled with a coach who knows nothing about the offensive side of a football game. And we have an ex-basketball student manager who has saddled the university with a 25 million dollar buyout which obviously is not going to happen.

Rotondo, has seen this show before. And he's just being honest sharing his frustration and experience that says that there is no way out of this shit sandwich.

Quite a few of us have been watching this train wreck for decades. Someday when you're older you will realize that coach Allen's 2 good years were like the Bill Mallory teams in 87 and 88. But it didn't have to be this way. My guess it will take another terrible season next year and then some deep pockets will come along to bail the university out. The problem is that there is no indication that they won't make the same mistakes again and again!

LEO
i never want to hear LEO again!

“I'm sorry but STFU“ - your first words in this thread

“there's absolutely no way you've been a "dedicated fan for 52 years" and this is your breaking point”

YOUR WORDS, again, but then you spoke for the board, as follows:

“If you want to hang up your IUFB fan hat, that's fine, but you're not getting any pity from the people on this board, no one cares. Please don't come back if this program ever finds success.”

All of the above are words of an ass who owes that man an apology and is now trying to change the subject.

Go away boy - you bother people.
And apologize to that man on your way out.
I really did not intend to start a profanity filled discussion on this site but I appreciate and thank all of you who defended my position. I admit to always hoping that our program would get better and might result in more wins and losses but now understand that will never happen. Living in Ohio for 31 years, I only got to see our Hoosiers beat OSU once and Michigan twice. Yes, I know the cards are stacked against the Hoosiers. Yes, I know our tradition is lacking but I always had hope. I began to lose that hope when Mallory lost his job. To me that was a big mistake. Since then things have only gotten progressively worse. When one of your legends is Coach Hoeppner (and yes I loved his enthusiasm) with less than 10 career wins, you really understand that you are not a good football program. So I have been a Pollyanna and it took until now, the age of 75, to realize that my time and effort and money has been going down a rat hole. So in Columbus this week, I will go to the game and enjoy my grandkids as they smile at the sight of another OSU victory. It is dumb to expect anything else.

In July I bought 7 tickets to the IU/OSU game for my family. My stepson lives in Columbus. He has 3 kids from 10 to 17. My step kids are eager to go as is my daughter in law. They all love Ohio State.The tickets are in nose bleed territory and cost almost $150 each with the service charge. So when we add the flights from Florida and the spending money on the grandkids, it will be a very costly week. I now totally understand how bad IU football is, so yes, I am kicking myself for believing that this might be our year.I have decided that this will be the last IU game I will ever see. And as I looked on TV at all the empty seats in Memorial Stadium today, I think many others have also given up. I would not fire Tom Allen because it doesn't matter, but he should just quit for his own mental health.. What a horrible team. I have supported them for 53 years and they have never paid me back.
I have a hard time believing you’ve been watching IU football for over 50 years and this was the game that made you want to quit watching? This is the season that made you want to quit watching? You must have missed a few games, maybe even a few seasons, in the past 50+ years.

I have a hard time believing you’ve been watching IU football for over 50 years and this was the game that made you want to quit watching? This is the season that made you want to quit watching? You must have missed a few games, maybe even a few seasons, in the past 50+ years.
i think he's saying he finally reached his breaking point. the last straw....

everybody has one and none are the same but when you reach it, you know

enough is enough

As a season ticket holder since 1964(missed two years while serving Uncle Sam), my love of IU football is at an all time low. I did not attend yesterday & will not attend the pu game. This will be the 3rd game I’ve missed this year! I doubt I have missed 10 games in the previous 50+ years and if no change is made at IU I will miss many games next year. Dropping my seaso tickets and Varsity Club donations is not a practical option (it would dramatically affect my seating for basketball).
Have we been this bad before, sure, but hopes have been high with the hiring of Wilson (until he self-destroyed his opportunity) and the improved recruitment and performance under Allen. We had a program that recruits wanted to come to and other programs wanted to emulate! Then the bottom fell out - on the surface it appeared that injuries took the program down last year (along with a terrible OC & OL coach), but this year revealed a deeper problem. We need to hire a new head coach!!! And the administration needs to make the football program a priority!
With no change, I will not be going to many games next year.

Reactions: jsenleo
As a season ticket holder since 1964(missed two years while serving Uncle Sam), my love of IU football is at an all time low. I did not attend yesterday & will not attend the pu game. This will be the 3rd game I’ve missed this year! I doubt I have missed 10 games in the previous 50+ years and if no change is made at IU I will miss many games next year. Dropping my seaso tickets and Varsity Club donations is not a practical option (it would dramatically affect my seating for basketball).
Have we been this bad before, sure, but hopes have been high with the hiring of Wilson (until he self-destroyed his opportunity) and the improved recruitment and performance under Allen. We had a program that recruits wanted to come to and other programs wanted to emulate! Then the bottom fell out - on the surface it appeared that injuries took the program down last year (along with a terrible OC & OL coach), but this year revealed a deeper problem. We need to hire a new head coach!!! And the administration needs to make the football program a priority!
With no change, I will not be going to many games next year.
I don’t think you can go backwards in basketball seating. For example, I missed my “spot” to select because I’m an idiot and mixed up my days. It auto selected my own seats because I forgot. I didn’t get moved back.

I don’t think you can go backwards in basketball seating. For example, I missed my “spot” to select because I’m an idiot and mixed up my days. It auto selected my own seats because I forgot. I didn’t get moved back.
It WILL definitely affect my seating for basketball if I drop my football tickets and/or reduce my contribution!!

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
You had a great experience today cuz you were bonding with your 8-year-old son. And that sounds like an absolutely wonderful time. But let me tell you something. Hemorrhoids are an experience. Kidney stones are an experience. These are experiences that you will not embrace. And when your son is 40 years old and you're still watching crappy Indiana football you will not embrace that experience either.
I went to the Pinstripe Bowl and sat in 30 degree weather with a flare-up of hemorrhoids and watched a field goal go right over the top of the upright.

Now, that’s an experience!

Reactions: 82hoosier
I was in the class of 69 and went to all the home games including the 67 Punt John Punt team. I graduated and moved to Cleveland but still came to Bloomington almost every year for homecoming. I doubt if I saw 5 wins
I moved to Florida in 2000 and continued my pilgrimage missing only two years. So please don't question my loyalty. My hope for a better team and more victories was there until this year's total debacle.

I understand the beatdown mindset.

Would like to see soccer matches in Memorial Stadium.
Great concept…..if soccer was actually a big sport in this country, you’d probably fill Memorial Stadium. However, it’s not. It’s a sport that appeals to large European and South Ametican audiences.
I heard a guy back in the early 90s claim that soccer would overtake football as America’s favorite sport by 2010.
Still waiting. It did help increase mini-van sales.
IU dominated soccer….when it was a club sport. IU isn’t even the best soccer program in its own conference anymore.

Great concept…..if soccer was actually a big sport in this country, you’d probably fill Memorial Stadium. However, it’s not. It’s a sport that appeals to large European and South Ametican audiences.
I heard a guy back in the early 90s claim that soccer would overtake football as America’s favorite sport by 2010.
Still waiting. It did help increase mini-van sales.
IU dominated soccer….when it was a club sport. IU isn’t even the best soccer program in its own conference anymore.
Men’s soccer went to three straight College Cups recently.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
Maryland > IU.
Jeeminy Christmas you’re hard to please. IU wins three straight conference regular season & tournament championships from ‘18-‘20. Maryland wins one this year and we should fire Yeagley or something.

It’s all starting to make sense.

Anyone can do what they want, but I think the OP is just flat out wrong. Not because of his opinions about the state of IU FB after their worst (in my assessment) showing of the year. He’s wrong because he’s focusing on the wrong thing.

I want to see IU win. I’d fly to Pasadena in a heartbeat if they made the Rose Bowl in my lifetime. But I don’t go to games or watch on tv for wins.

I watch for the experience. In particular today, my 8 yr old and I set up our tailgate at 9 when the lots opened. This kid sat in a hurricane and just had a ball with his parents & grandparents. He played catch with me and a bunch of absolutely wonderful college aged kids once other tailgaters finally came. He was high five-ing the women behind us into the 2nd Q when IU was playing them close.

He was very bummed that IU lost. I told him that we go for the gameday experience and as much as I’d love to see a dominant IU team, it’s a game. And at the end of the day, spending time with family on Fall Saturdays is where it’s at.
It sounds like my son and I many years ago. He is now 32 and we share a beer or two at a tailgate with good friends we met attending games over the years. We take at least one road trip per year. This year was Cincinnati. I've seen a lot of bad football and we have shared the last 25 years together

My son commented during the game about a Penn State game many years ago where I said I would not attend another game while DiNardo was coach, I meant it. Luckily he was fired and we were back the next year.

I agree that the contract situation and IU's lack of commitment to football does make the prospects of 2 more crappy seasons a real possibility.

Personally, I would fire Allen, pay an elite coach (Urban Meyer, I'm serious) whatever he wants and allow him to hire the assistants he wants. Go big or stay home. For one time, hire coaches that have been successful. It has worked at UK, Illinois and at every successful program.

Reactions: TMFT
Like many here I have endured many seasons of frustration.

That said, I would never give up the opportunity to be in Bloomington on a Fall Saturday. Just no place like it.

I've got more faith in my 9 year old learning geometry then I do this team winning another game, but I'm not jumping off the ship.

Anyone that remembers the 83-20 HOME beatdown we took in 2010 would say that was much worse then Saturday.

I've got more faith in my 9 year old learning geometry then I do this team winning another game, but I'm not jumping off the ship.

Anyone that remembers the 83-20 HOME beatdown we took in 2010 would say that was much worse then Saturday.
That 83-20 game was on the road in Madison.

Our winless season in 1984 could have been considered worse, although the close losses that season gave us hope for the future, and in a couple years that happened.

There is hope for IU football, they have won one more game than last year, at this pace think how good they could be in 9 years. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT