ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, I was really there.

Rotonda

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2014
Rotonda, Florida
As I told you last week, I went to the game today knowing it would be the last IU game of my life. Despite the 38 degree temperature and the snow squalls, we gutted it out. We saw only one person with IU garb. He and my family had no chance against the 104 000 OSU supporters. We enjoyed script Ohio and the OSU pomp and circumstance and knew immediately that a victory was impossible. The sad thing is that I sensed that our players and coaches felt the same way as they over celebrated a few three yard gains by our offense.Yes, we left very early but so did tens of thousands of OSU fans who knew for sure that IU literally had no chance to win. Our program has hit Rock bottom.

As I told you last week, I went to the game today knowing it would be the last IU game of my life. Despite the 38 degree temperature and the snow squalls, we gutted it out. We saw only one person with IU garb. He and my family had no chance against the 104 000 OSU supporters. We enjoyed script Ohio and the OSU pomp and circumstance and knew immediately that a victory was impossible. The sad thing is that I sensed that our players and coaches felt the same way as they over celebrated a few three yard gains by our offense.Yes, we left very early but so did tens of thousands of OSU fans who knew for sure that IU literally had no chance to win. Our program has hit Rock bottom.
Lol. This isn't rock bottom. This isn't even as bad as last year.

Now, you might argue that this season is a dead cat bounce. That's possible.

I was there as well. It really wasn’t as cold as it probably looked. I was in A Deck with my fiancé, buddy and his wife. All OSU fans (alums). Something that Ohio Stadium does that MS should implement is a website that you order you order and pay for the concession stand nearest you. You simply order, pay and then go to the stand in the order ahead line. Beer or food. It was magical. The OSU students all left early 3rd quarter. The game sucked but we had fun.

Record wise, you are correct but defensively we are worse with the offense being about the same.
Defense is because of the offense going 3 & out over and over in less than one minute. If we had a good offense the defense would be better and it looks like coach Allen is done with Bell - I hope he is and coach fires him at the end of the season because he didn't expect this kind of offense. The defense has to play freshmen in many places is why it is so bad. The big pass against Nebraska is because a freshman was in at safety. The defense has to play freshmen in many places due to the offense which is why it is so bad.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
why is this your last game ?

Reactions: sparkeyreturns
I was there as well. It really wasn’t as cold as it probably looked. I was in A Deck with my fiancé, buddy and his wife. All OSU fans (alums). Something that Ohio Stadium does that MS should implement is a website that you order you order and pay for the concession stand nearest you. You simply order, pay and then go to the stand in the order ahead line. Beer or food. It was magical. The OSU students all left early 3rd quarter. The game sucked but we had fun.
They tried this and it was a flop/failure

I guess he's not going to comment. I hope he meant for this year......
It is my last game ever. Part of the reason is that I am 75 and have lived in Florida for the last 22 years so getting to the games is expensive and time consuming. My health is fine but dealing with the cold is no longer fun and I usually return home with some sort of northern illness. But mainly, I cannot take the losing any longer. Beating OSU only once in over 60 years, Michigan 3 times and Penn State twice has convinced me that we will never be competitive in football. It is not the fault of our coaches, but without tradition and without a strong national recruiting base, improvement is unlikely. I never thought that our 1967 Rose Bowl team would be the only such Pasadena trip ever, but I now think that I would bet on it. In other words, I have been spinning my wheels for 55 years. I have heard promises, seen many coaches, seen the facilities improve, but nothing helps. I can no longer support a program that continues to not improve, but I do wish them well.

It is my last game ever. Part of the reason is that I am 75 and have lived in Florida for the last 22 years so getting to the games is expensive and time consuming. My health is fine but dealing with the cold is no longer fun and I usually return home with some sort of northern illness. But mainly, I cannot take the losing any longer. Beating OSU only once in over 60 years, Michigan 3 times and Penn State twice has convinced me that we will never be competitive in football. It is not the fault of our coaches, but without tradition and without a strong national recruiting base, improvement is unlikely. I never thought that our 1967 Rose Bowl team would be the only such Pasadena trip ever, but I now think that I would bet on it. In other words, I have been spinning my wheels for 55 years. I have heard promises, seen many coaches, seen the facilities improve, but nothing helps. I can no longer support a program that continues to not improve, but I do wish them well.
I'm glad it's not your health. I come up from Charlotte and Florida for games. The cold doesn't bother me, but the losing does get old, after the 50+ years of being an IU fan.

Reactions: jsenleo
I'm glad it's not your health. I come up from Charlotte and Florida for games. The cold doesn't bother me, but the losing does get old, after the 50+ years of being an IU fan.
I do feel for you guys that travel long distances to watch the Keystone Cop routine. Losses are bad enough but they sting more when you had to put in a lot more effort just to get there. Brutal.

I do feel for you guys that travel long distances to watch the Keystone Cop routine. Losses are bad enough but they sting more when you had to put in a lot more effort just to get there. Brutal.
A losing weekend in Bloomington is a better time than winning in West Laffy.

Reactions: jsenleo
Your concern for my health is appreciated. Again, I enjoyed the campus and I enjoyed the comradery with old friends. By I wanted to see wins or at least competitive teams and games. That never happened and unfortunately, I think it never will. I spend a lot of my Saturdays now playing golf here in Florida and I tape the games. That way, I can still follow the team but I get the misery over with in 2 hours as opposed to being there and being miserable for 4 hours plus the travel hassle. Friends have told me that they are amazed that I was a fan as long as I have been. I guess I was just being loyal but yes, those days are done.

• Sad
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Your concern for my health is appreciated. Again, I enjoyed the campus and I enjoyed the comradery with old friends. By I wanted to see wins or at least competitive teams and games. That never happened and unfortunately, I think it never will. I spend a lot of my Saturdays now playing golf here in Florida and I tape the games. That way, I can still follow the team but I get the misery over with in 2 hours as opposed to being there and being miserable for 4 hours plus the travel hassle. Friends have told me that they are amazed that I was a fan as long as I have been. I guess I was just being loyal but yes, those days are done.
I commend you are your efforts. I hope that this is just in frustration over what has transpired over the past 2 seasons. Maybe IU can play spoiler today. End that other school’s chances of going to Indy. Finish with a modest 2 game win streak and build some momentum going into next season. We hire a quality line coach if Carey decides not to take it. Anyway you are truly one remarkable fan.

Reactions: DANC
I commend you are your efforts. I hope that this is just in frustration over what has transpired over the past 2 seasons. Maybe IU can play spoiler today. End that other school’s chances of going to Indy. Finish with a modest 2 game win streak and build some momentum going into next season. We hire a quality line coach if Carey decides not to take it. Anyway you are truly one remarkable fan.

It is good to hear your health isn't the problem.

Yes, it is a shame IU won't put up the money to bring in a big name coach with a track record of turning programs into championship teams. IU seems to be happy with 6-6 seasons as the big season moving on to BB. Look at the recruiting budget and FB takes the backseat many years.

If and until IU makes football a priority, we see a football program operating behind the times and hence we get what we see.

Reactions: Rotonda
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT